Tree of Savior Forum

[RANT] who tf told swordies to be dps?

edit: (now i got your attention with a flamebait title, here’s the thing:)

half of my dungeon runs, there are swordies with sw 2 builds and no pelt. most of the time, they wouldnt bother luring. wiz/archers do a better job in tanking/luring mobs than these useless so-called pure dps builds.

please, unless you’re a pvp build, do not:

take sw 2 over pelt - i really dont get the logic here. you want to have some additional two digits of attack over a CC ability

act like you’re the hotshot main dps in the team - even when there are 4 other wiz/archer dps with you. you’re not going in head first just because you’re dps and you’re acting like an oh-so fragile melee character

3 Likes

I can’t post just: Lol

it’s for pvp and solo i assume.

yes. but so far, the sw 2 guys i’ve encountered are insisting it’s better for pve and that pelt is useless. i am for diversity and going sw 2 when you can clearly go pelt is what boggles me.

going sw 2 gives you
+15 atk from Gung Ho
+8 atk from concentrate
a few more seconds on pain barrier
aoe ratio for bash
some stun

and they’re insisting it’s way better than pelt cause they’re dps. i dont know how that can make you the main dps of the team

dont get me wrong, i’m all for build diversity and having fun. but all these sw2 builds would make you think they’re following some sort of staple build and it’s no longer for fun or uniqueness. (who the hell thinks having +15 attack makes you unique anyway?)

1 Like

ok since we are all better off with one less confused kid here, i’ll be generous enough to put things in perspective for you

the very problem is not about people not taking pelt 1. tho i dont think you could figure it out.

Everyone knows Swordsmen aren’t a good DPS option, but that DOES NOT make every Swordsman a tank, because we also know that every other class can tank just about as well or better than a Swordsman. Want a tank? Get your full CON Wizard or your Cleric to do it.

Currently no build for Swordsman is truely viable in any situation with Peltasta only serving as a convenience for everyone else and still isn’t needed.

Edit: meant for OP, sorry.

2 Likes

Your title said it all. Keep insulting every non-pelt Swordman in-game.
Please who are you in -game, i’d like to hunt you down once PvP comes out.

kill count: 2

thank you for that non-argument. very insightful indead. and you havent figured it out as i expected. hint #2: bait

i think we should focus first on the choice between sw 2 and pelt on staple and cookie-cutter builds (e.g sw 2 > hop 1 > cat 3 ). sw 2 clearly doesnt give you anything for pve. the problem is people insisting this as if it’s game-breaking and it’s unique. i’m more conncerned about the mindset behind this.

There is no mind-set behind it.

Swordman 2 is only picked as a PvP option, anyone claiming/stating/using otherwise is an idiot.

As much as I’d like to see every class and circle be viable in every end-game, if only slightly in some, that’s just not how the game is right now, and I doubt it’ll ever be that way.

However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Just because the player is a Swordsman, that does not automatically make them a tank. Having higher HP is not a bonus to tank, it is compensation for having to be melee; only a few classes have any sort of tanking capability, Peltasta being one.

2. Even without Peltasta a Swordsman can still pseudo-tank by gathering, and distracting groups of enemies with the DPS they have and with Provoke. Of course this is not the easiest way to “tank” and I wouldn’t expect most Swordsman players to pull it off successfully; I sure couldn’t.

well that’s the very point of this rant. apparently, people are insisting to be better at dps just because they went sw 2.

well that’s the problem, as i’ve mentioned some are letting wiz and archers lure and take aggro in dungeon runs when these swordies have more hp and one i’ve partied with is a cataphract (but just a sw2) that can just kite mobs around.

Then the rant is pointless because you’re ranting about idiots who don’t understand their build.

That IS the problem. Full CON Wizards will have more HP than a majority of Swordsmans because Swordsmen can’t go full CON. Also Archers and Wizards out-DPS any Swordsman build for days, of course they’re going to be taking the aggro because they’re the ones generating the threat (even with Swordsmans hitting with Provoke), and you can’t exactly ask them to not DPS.

The whole system, currently, works against Swordsman so hard that the entire branch might as well not exist. It’s not up to the Swordsman players to defend the poor design choices behind them, that falls on IMC and the developers.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

but arent all rants essentially pointless?

so far with what i’ve experienced the provoke passive attribute + swordsman going ahead of everyone is enough to make up for not being able to lure with swashbuckling. but as i’ve mentioned, these sw 2 dudes arent doing a thing at all. they are always sitting behind like they’re the precious glass cannon build. it’s more of a matter of attitude and not design IMHO.

If you’re agreeing this rant thread is pointless and it’s more of an attitude of, again, stupid people being stupid. Then why even make this thread in the first place?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

A lot of people are doing it recently, I assume those are newbies from recent reopening who know nothing and while chosing a class, “oh look better gungho and concentrate!” while totally ignoring what HL and Pelt offers because they were blinded by 23 damage.

Yes with my new alt apparently I’m in queue with a lot of sword2 who never use pain barrier and hit 119 with their concentrate so they probably took it for the damage buffs.

Other than SW2 jesus christ everyone seems to be rolling QS3 it’s becoming a cancer

cause i’m an amateur-flamebait-post-making-troll that can’t resist the urge to be civil and polite in discussions.

1 Like

goodbye Ranger 3 - Fletcher 3 days.

I think a huge misconception new players have about Gung Ho and Concentrate is that they scale properly and they don’t, which they should. But, again, that’s on IMC and the devs.

oh and dont forget about the poor skill tooltip description in the database. but then again there are two neatly-written guides here in the sw subforums for that