Tree of Savior Forum

Possibly best solution for Exp and overall progression

Kinda bummed a lot of the threads here flaming rather than providing constructive mature feedback…

A nice progression buffer you could get inspired with is what Arenanet did with Guild Wars 2. Rewarding diversity in all types of progress in the game with exp could greatly dumb down the effects of grind and balance out time spent in other areas of the game the devs worked so hard on.

This would allow ToS to not only focus progression through just grinding and quests and believe it would help the game as a whole. This would also reinforce wanting to complete and do things within the adventure journal and not only to get special perk titles and color customization options.

I feel this idea would be greatly beneficial because even if you up the exp rates there will still be that one form of grinding. Give your players multiple ways of grinding and the game becomes less stale and more proactive in choosing a way to progress.

Thoughts?

Some things that could be given exp rewards.

100% area explored
Crafting or upgrading an item
Killing a new monster recorded in your adventure journal
Opening treasure chests
100% everything a certain monster drops
…list can go on…etc

Another side note.
Please don’t force players to hit a certain level to progress. Allow the players to make that decision themselves just remind them the recommended level to complete. This feels like you’re holding the player back from progressing force fully and probably correlates to the exp grind problem because players need to grind to get up to that threshold level to continue storyline and get new quests and then they’ll hit another threshold and go back to grinding.

So if you’re reading this and feel this system could be useful and beneficial for the game take the time to give it a like and even better also comment how this feels to you!

This addition will truly help make ToS that much more enjoyable to play.

22 Likes

I think that’s a great idea, especially the area discovery thing, the issue is that you could basically just wander on the maps straight from after the tutorial and gain a lot of exp and maybe even have a really nice lead, even explore like 20/30% of the map instead of doing quests and grind early and come by a nice level.

The issue is that either the reward is too low which won’t help you smooth your leveling, or either it’s too high and it’ll just do a crazy burst of level right from the start which is not acceptable for this kind of game imho.

But overall nice idea.

Sounds great! This is a nice thought and better than just those measly coin rewards

I understand your concern. Finding the right value will fix that. The numerical values can always be tweaked and perfected later on.

It’s a great idea to consider because it not only could solve the grind problem but potentially bring to light other things this game offers a lot better.

Glad you like! Hopefully the community can help bring this topic to light for the devs to see if it’s a great idea! For the love of the game~

1 Like

This idea is the great solution, although I believe that via this method it would allow for players to get more out of the game, I still think more can be done to help with the grind in addition to this feature.

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday, there has to be options for people to gain exp otherwise we’ll lose players too early in the games life, there are other options then simply X3 exp rate.

I think these are all really good ideas. More things that help open world exploration become a trait of the game are always good.

It’s fantastic that you too realize that it wasn’t an EXP rate issue, but a progression issue. I have highlighted this in my feedback thread as well.

3 Likes

I love those ideas and have thought of it as well! I actually thought I got experience at first for doing stuff like filling out maps at first hahah…

I just loved your suggestions! For sure, it would be fantastic to get exp from those stuff.
And this way you wouldn’t have to grind so much, although I did enjoy grinding with my friends.

While I don’t think this alone would solve the problem, I believe it would be a great addition to the game, that’s why I liked your post. I also agree with the "Please don’t force players to hit a certain level to progress. ".

Also, about rates, we need a 40x rate at level 200, let alone level 500+. But with that rate we wouldn’t enjoy the first levels. That’s why I don’t agree to a flat exp rate increase, but a decrease in the exp curve. Let we enjoy all the levels with constant rewarding.

And please, make your sugestions happen :smile:

Someone made a chart of the exp curve during iCBT and it was REALLY strange. When I hit level 46 I just about instantly leveled to level 48 because the exp curve kept dropping and rising at certain points. I really don’t think the exp curve will be flying up and down like that during the actual game but I could be wrong.

Do you have a link to this chart?? I’m super curious!

No, I saw it but now I can’t find it…

I’ll try looking for it. As I remember at lvl 45 exp to level was about 119K then it SLAMS down to 7k at level 46 lol.

Here you go, it’s a pretty weird “curve”:

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/uploads/default/original/3X/d/5/d56bed2abc2732943250bdeb9203616cd2a5711d.jpg

1 Like

In this ICBT, we were only given Quests and Monster as a way to gain exp. Again, to test how stable the game would run on steam. We haven’t even touched the other content that wasn’t given to us. I believe we should complain after we have tested all other content before we assume this will be the final EXP rate. There is still Dungeons and Party quests (both was in KCBT3) and as I see, they give a good ton of exp as well.

HEEEEEEEYYYYY I knew I saw it somewhere! thanks.

its a suggestion i think not a complain…
they better make it before it goes out for obt to change this kind of progression…
i like this kind of idea, getting more option beside whacking monster head is good for potion brewer like alchemist or weapon repairer like squire…

1 Like

Nice to know that most of the people so far show similar interest going forward with this idea.

@CookyKim
Odd that I missed a good thread and nice to know we share similar views on the current state of the game so far. I understand why you were so ambivalent towards my take on repair calculations and you bring up a good point.

@DanielS
We’ll just have to wait and see if this is implemented. I do believe this would solve the underlying exp problem and fill the gaps that exp cards couldn’t so far in the game and break down grinding a notch in a refreshing way. Numerically you can make it work as long as the idea is sound. But yes the highlight of this idea goes past pure exp rate problems!

@Divder
If you truly understood what I was pitching it goes beyond exp rate. The beauty of this idea is the facilitation of healthy progression through means of everyday experiences Tree of Savior has to offer. You’re rewarded for your time in anything you do without feeling like you could have spent that time progressing by grinding an area or questing. This added system is meant to compliment the current system and see no fault or damage in the game. If anything it strengthens the core of what this game represents in all factors of play