Tree of Savior Forum

Pay2Win, what are your thoughts?

No im not talking about Australia, its not only one country that have bad government (many on south america does), i didnt know Australia was on that side too, i aways saw the country as a good place to live but oh well, things change with time.

I am going to be in the super-minority here and say that I don’t mind ‘Pay-2-Win’; mostly because P2W mostly applies to games where the PVP experience is INTEGRAL to the game~ As someone who mostly enjoys PVE and partying with friends/etc, if they start releasing items that give stat boosts, I won’t really care that much~ Because people will pay for those and they will SUPPORT the game

Everyone loves to chirp about ‘cosmetics only cash shop’, but if those were the only things in the cash shop, they would either be EXTRAORDINARILY expensive (Think how much permanent costumes in games that have TIMED costumes are; you know, the ones that you pay for, they only last 15 days then POOF, have to rebuy it again~) or all stuck into gachapons with junk items~

So if you’re not all gung-ho for cosmetics, then you say ‘Well, EXP boosts aren’t so bad’, except for the fact that you only need to pump up your EXP-roids so long before you reach level cap and have nothing left to do in the game, except for PVP~

Which brings me full-circle to why I don’t really care if ‘P2W’ items are introduced to the shop. All games that are Free-to-play want to attract the PVP crowd, well, not the F2P PVP crowd, but the ones who are willing to pop tons of money into the cash shop for an edge in end-game. Heck, look at how many F2P games have that ‘gachapon’ system, where you toss in money endlessly in hopes to get the big prize, and I’m sure whatever that prize is going to be, whether it be your ‘cosmetics’ or a ‘weapon’ or something else, it’ll reward the players with stat boosts or some sort of edge over those who do not financially support the game~

PVE players like me don’t really care about stuff like that (I will just be happy if storage isn’t super-gimped and cosmetics aren’t always stuck in gachapons) but aggressive players who are going to solo-rush to level cap and grind for the best equipment are going to need something to keep them playing~

TL;DR: Cosmetics/EXP boosts alone won’t support a game; End-game/PVP-oriented cash shops(with items that have stat boosts) are usually necessary~

But hey, I’m the minority here having what for me seems like a pretty realistic interpretation of how F2Ps usually pan out~ ^o^

3 Likes

Just to burst that bubble lol, I hope you realise that this is mostly a field base game, not instance. So those pay2winners are going to be stealing all your MvPs and mobs as well.

Just sayin~~

1 Like

I don’t know @_@ some guy with stupid-strong equipment that they buy from a shop has better things to do than to follow me around and gank my mobs I am leveling on, well, barring there are systems in place that prevent someone from tagging everything in an open field then AOE-ing it to death) and even if they wanted to gank my mobs, someone with non-cash shop equipment is usually capable of the same thing~

And when it comes to BAMFs/MvPs/etc, anyone can ‘steal’ one if they’re killing them in one-shot or something, but I think cash-shop equipment isn’t likely to be that heavily exaggerated/overpowered @_@ At least I would hope everyone isn’t painting it that black-and-white (ex. you can earn item level 50 equipment in game, but you can buy item level 55 equipment through the cash shop)

2 Likes

Sounds like you haven’t felt the worst of pay 2 win. Anyway thankfully a large majority (who are mostly pve players) disagree with you.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. LOL

There’s no excuse to go P2W except being greedy when there are developers that can pull profit from F2P games with purely cosmetic cash shop.

as majority in the forum agree that we are against the P2W, if IMC do selling that cash shop item P2W way…
we got an army here to protest lol :yum:
im experiencing the worst dev, at 1st they going with subcription method but as the time goes this method not working for the international server so they decide to make a test server using f2p in the asia
that make asia server and eu server treat differently… the asia one going P2W way and the eu working casually via cosmetic items…
in the end the player win their heart by protesting and the asia branch disbanded and join to the eu one lol and going f2p, it only last for one years (the asia servers)… as i am playing the game for 3 years now(from international to asia server) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
and the game called Wakfu

o-o" Deer lawd, that txt…

3 Likes

This guy _ you totally understand, you totally, totally understand, and everyone else is too lazy to read~

I’m pretty sure it’s gonna come out P2W. Majority of the F2P games that come out now end up having some sort of P2W feature so at this point I’m use to it and I expect ToS to do the same too. I simply put in more time so I can compete with the P2W whales (Played ArcheAge for 9 months, king of P2W games).

BTW really read even a bit of what contidelicious’ essay has to say before you start spitting out your shitty carebear 10year old opinions, he actually puts up very strong arguments. Really tired of hearing this cosmetic only bullshit, the developers aren’t here to hold your ■■■■■■■ hand and spoon feed you for free, it’s already a F2P game. They are a company that at the end of the day, desires profit like any other human being would want for doing a job.

So deal with it or don’t play at all ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Welcome to modern F2P MMOs.

6 Likes

Except that Tera is really strong since its existence despite being cosmetic and booster only.

Uh, hello? Elite Status? That “booster” is actually very significant.

and boom lets start a new thread on that?

You are not entirely wrong. That’s your rights to give your honest opinion about this matter.
Yes, those players who spend their money to buy p2w items are also supporting the game. But at the same time, the balance will be broken between those who can pay and those who can’t. The game won’t be fun anymore (except for those who can pay and rule the game). It will become a money oriented competition, not skills oriented competition.

1 Like

Oh no no, I understand that people who spend money in the cash shop will have an advantage @_@ It’s more along the lines of ‘how does this advantage effect a player like me?’ The only system that really affects me is when real-world money can be easily converted into in-game money, which is something that effects veterans, and more importantly, new players~

Everyone brings up the few MMOs that have mostly fair cash shops, but when there are a plethora of publishers that anyone who has played MMOs as more than a passing fad is aware of, like Addiktion has mentioned, that’s how F2Ps are successful; and I mean success in the fact that they have a balance between player-base (let’s please not whip out the WOW subscription comparison) and paying players~

And I could type a super long essay explaining, and I might if I have enough free-time, but my general consensus is that P2W-style is usually an end-game thing, where someone would quit anyway due to lack of content~

6 Likes

Likewise your cometics only BS isn’t fun for the paying players. Is it really that hard to understand.

Yes I honestly don’t understand what you were talking about. :sweat_smile:

Can you explain more about this?

1 Like

He just a troll :grin:

1 Like

What do I need to explain do you have reading comprehension problem?