Tree of Savior Forum

Paladin full spr build

PSA: this topic is old and full of old informations, don’t follow the advices in here blindly since many things have changed and they may not work anymore

Hello, i saw a youtuber explaining all the cleric classes and at paladin he explain that the best build is focused only around SPR+CON(like 3:1) at first i thought he was crazy but after listening to him it started to make sense. watch at about 1h50m

his points:
-smite costs a lot of sp so spirit will be useful more than str/dex because it allows you to spam it more
-turn undead works with spirit
-barrier adds magic defense equal to the spirit of the caster
-sp for days

He sees the paladin as a support/dps but focused on the support part, so str/dex aren’t important, you just squeeze in smite and convinction off cd as they have good enough base dmg

also the classes of choice are C1>K1>C2>P3>Pardoner

in this way with spirit you also get
-zalciai +crit dmg based on spirit
-increase magic defense that also adds more magic defense based on spirit

so you have a build focused on adding magic res and the other stuff wich may be cool(i heard magic dmg late game is quite a bitch)
plus he says that leveling is easy and relaxing.

I still didn’t play the game but everyone here seems to be talking about str/dex paladin and that spr is useless. So now i am a bit confused, is he wrong or is everyone here wrong? or are both path good? what do you think?

edit: i found a video where he plays his paladin, i can’t understant a word but i guess he went for full spr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGdE9zJku2M

I am level 179 and went 1con:4spr.

It works fine. You can use deprotection zone, and zalcai to majorly increase physical damage against targets. Currently my zalcai increases crit attack by 269 and lowers critical resistance by 183. My deprotection zone lowers defense by 222.

nice! did you go for C1>K1>C2>Paladin? what do you do in a party situation? your damage in a party is still consistent? sorry for the many questions but i still can’t play so i am theorycrafting a bit XD

I went that exact path.

What I do in party is kind of a vague question. I heal, buff, debuff, and deal damage.

The thing about going str/dex is it doesn’t really help your skill damage that much. Even lets say you had 600 str. Maxed smite is 1771. My current physical attack is 400ish with a fairly bad weapon. So your base damage value on smite went from 2,171 to 2771. Thats only a 27% increase in total damage from the skill. This is also the spr builds worst scenario since im not counting any of its debuffs.

The real damage str/dex gets is on auto attack damage. Unless you have debuffed a mob don’t expect to be able to do much auto attack damage with this build.

Okay, I’m super into this?? I was making a strong paladin (c2>diev>pally), but now I wanna do this instead. I’m kind of curious about how you allocated skill points for cleric/Krivis skills, and what weapon you use.

I’m assuming you use a mace, and I’m guessing I want 100% uptime with deprotected zone and zalciai as well as maxed out safety zone and heal. Other than that I’m not really sure?

A lot of this can be changed depending on your own preferences.

I carry both a mace and a sword around. I only really use the mace when I conviction + zaibas on bosses, or if I am fighting a lot of enemies weak to strike.

A) The dmg reduction from spr barrier + spr increase magic defense isn’t strong enough for pve. (3-5k dmg to 2-4k dmg at best.) Not sure about pvp.

A.2) Not to mention that barrier is used to prevent such mobs from hitting people to begin with. Which makes the magic dmg reduction rather pointless.

B) Going spr heavy on cleric for sp regen/pool simply shouldn’t be needed, esp not on a class with a free +50 sp regen. (even bokors need 50-100 max.)

C) Turn undead works well enough without any spr, and it’s spr scaling was claimed to be barely noticeable.

D) Only zalciai is somewhat good spr wise in such a build, and maybe a monstrance alongside it.

Meaning paladin itself just offers nothing worthwhile for a spr build, and is heavily outperformed by a spr priest/chaplain build.

As for stats:

• Str is best with multi hit skills and multipliers, as it’s a flat added dmg value that helps bypass defense. (def is calculated prior to multipliers like smite/enhance.)
  • Dex is best with high dmg skills, due to it’s +50% dmg multiplier after defense calculations + crit attack dmg bonus.
  • Spr can act as a pseudo str/dex hybrid due to zalciai/monstrance. But it lacks str’s bonus 10% per rank scaling and hasn’t been tested enough yet.

Factors that favor str for a phys paladin:

• Smite + conviction secret multi hit combo.
  • Smite’s attribute deals dmg based on phys attack. (and thus str.)
  • Conviction hits twice atm iirc.
  • Smite’s race multiplier.
  • Poor pvp performance, where dex is almost necessary for evasion/accuracy.

tl/dr: Str pala will pull ahead, especially with higher level caps as it will only scale better and better.

As far as I can figure, the benefit of going SPR over STR is that the extra damage you gain through deprotected zone/zalciai/monstrance also applies to your party members. Yes, you will deal less damage. But you provide a lot of extra utility as long as you don’t also have a SPR priest on your group. And even if you do, you do provide notable magic resistance that a priest doesn’t.

Also re multi-hits: deprotected zone’s defense reduction applies to each hit. The only issue I’m unaware of is whether or not deprotected zone’s defense reduction goes below 0/whether or not that’s a concern.

It is a ok support, but priest likely more superior. For magic protection i’m into aOracle or Diev more(no bosses tho)

Defense doesn’t go negative. Though mob defense is 180ish at my level, and my deprotection only reduces it by 220ish.

Well the main strength of this is zalcai. Essentially its 40% crit rate against the foes debuffed by it at my current values. This would be at least a 20% increase in average damage against those physical targets. This is completely ignoring crit attack values though. So it will generally end up higher especially with str heavy allies. Not all chaplains take krivis so your aren’t really made obsolete by them even if they do go spr.

Deprotected Zone actually has this attribute. What isn’t mentioned here is that at 10 stacks, enemies get the armor break status that lasts for 10s.

The only problem is stacks only lasts a second or so, so lag/ping can reset your stacks even if you’re holding down your attack button. Bosses also have to be stationary until you get all 10 stacks since they have to be on deprotected zone. This sorta works against SPR since any cleric can get this.

######Just noticed that there’s a comment on the link that says this.

First, strength doesn’t do as much for the Smite. Strength is mostly about boosting weak multi-hit attacks, it just drowns in the basic Smite damage. I mean, with no strength and about 500 worth of physical attack (with level, ok weapon and hats that’s easily doable) your Smite 15 will have 2000 basic attack. Even if you add 400 there with the strength (and that’s pretty much a full STR build), you’ll do 2400. 20% increase - that’s fine, but nothing mind-breaking.

Second, let’s not forget that Smites are not exactly free. And that your paladin isn’t a DPS character in any case - he’s a hybrid so he can’t afford to whack at the foes only. He needs to provide a lot to the party. And only the 10x Smites and 4x convictions per minute will drain about 1200 SP per minute eventually. Not to mention the other casts that can easily drain 600-700 SP as well. I don’t exactly see how the cleric’s basic 200 SP regeneration + 50 from the aura cover that.

I’ve been in the dungeons with the str-dex paladins and all I’ve seen from them was their constantly empty mana bar. So as long as you have 20% more smites from the SP alone (and you’ll probably will have those), you have pretty much a parity here. But, at the same time, your spirit does so much more for the party because Zalciai is insane.

Even if you would argue about different build, fulldex paladin is a much better choice. But even that is not better - just a diffferent angle of approach. After all, Zalciai kinda turns two thirds of your spirit into dexterity (for critical purposes), so it’s not like the dexdin will have colossally more criticals (while still having the SP issues). It’s more about evasion, I’d say, and the physical protection it brings. Even so, it’s more of an egoistical build.

And if we go about paladin vs chaplain… Well, that’s a different question, tbh. But paladin has its own merits too. First, it has a much, much better solo game (which, considering how it’s hard to find a party, is a very big thing to consider). Second, while the chaplain buffs are insane at the rank 5 time, Turn Undead scales much better. It’s more limited in use, of course, but it generates a very considerable DPS against any sort of the really tough monsters. With spirit here playing a fine role too - sure, no one really knows the formula, but even if it’s 0,05% per spirit point (and that’s the absolute minimum, I think), it’s still worth it. And there’s, of course, the barrier - something which the chaplain doesn’t get (because let’s not forget that the chaplain has all the incentives to go high-SPR too). Finally, the chaplain is a money draining character whereas a paladin-pardoner is a money-generating one. It’s not that much of a difference, but it is there.

As for the PVP, I doubt that either str:dex or Spr builds are good there. I’d say that it’s gonna be maxCon priest2-paladin3-Plague Doctor. High durability, Barrier, mass heal, Revive, debuff immunity. Much better than anything the other builds will offer.

3 Likes

the topic is getting intresting :smiley: i just created my clerric(first char) so now i am even more interested to understand what’s a good paladin build! if anyone has something to say, pls go ahead :slight_smile:

would be a good idea to do an hybrid paladin with something like 1con:1spr:1str:1dex till i have enough con then 1spr:1str:1dex till i have enough dex then 1spr:1str?

I’m always planning my builds in the hope of at least 10 ranks. So an SPR Chaplain-Paladin is in my possible plans too.

With rank 8 it will be already possible…the problem is that it still means no Krivis what I would like to include too…or I still don’t reach c3 Paladin what would be quite necessary for that build so…

Also It’s quite bad we don’t know what to expect from higher rank classes…so it’s just a possibilty for me at the moment because I’m not that interested in PD and Kabbalist (yet?)…

Btw it would build around Conviction and elemental attack. Unfortunately Conviction wouldn’t strenghten my holy attacks but addtional element attacks like arde dagger would be still hit a bit harder I guess.

@MrFioz I guess it could work but I’m still in the dark what is “enough CON and enough DEX” I’m not even sure if it is worth to put points on DEX if you don’t put a lot on it. Also spreading your stats too much means less bonus stats…so…no idea how it is the best.

While paladin seems to be the biggest exception to the rule due to the fact that it scales with every stat, you pretty much wanna put the vast majority of your points into a single stat. You get more bonus points in a stat the more points you’ve invested in it. So more focused stats = more points total.

-cut- wrong topic, sorry -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally which paladin do you think will be more USEFUL in PVE- High End content. a STR C2>D>P3>PD or a SPR C2>K>P3>Pandore ???

I agree with an user who said “we are support not a 100% dps class” then… if i wil be the mostly part of my time supporting the party I THINK the SPR build will be more useful because it has more utility for the party and full of mana… but …

Could some high level paladin tell me which one is more useful in a party where your role is support not 100% DPS?

tHANKS

Im surprised you’d choose paladin for rank8+ seeing as there will be much better classes

It rly depends on if there will be something else that fits my expectations more. Currently there is not rly. Also I hope I will be left with at least 1 rank where I can choose a higher rank class if I want X)

I also have Bokor in my mind btw what is maybe even more scary… XD But it can turn out Kabbalist c2 or PD c2 will offer something that makes me change my mind and I’ll end up on the same route as others…sooo currently I think I may stop at rank 6 and either just try to live my life like that…not too good idea… xD…or level with another char what I’m more sure of while I’m waiting.

Btw the problem is rly that what I would need from Paladin is on c3…Both Conviction and Barrier…So yeah there is a huge chance there will be something that would be better for even my playstyle later.

Also this is the reason I would support circle resets in a way. My build is only fix till Chaplain+Krivis than I would like to get classes that strenghthens my playstyle what is not the smae as mostly others…and I don’t want to delete my char when it turns out there would have been a better class for what I want.

This became a bit long answer… X) But yeah It is quite fix for me what I want in my build and what I don’t care of…Maybe it will suck at the end anyway…but whatever…I’ll try hard haha XD