Tree of Savior Forum

Overheat System

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make this thread discussing the little known Overheat System. This was something I came across during translating, and took it down in my notes, yet I’m still unclear about it due to the lack of discussion. Also, I wanted everyone else to know about this for upcoming IBT.

Below is a section of my notes. Lines with question marks are my speculation, while the lines above are directly from the translation (90% sure it’s from a tutorial).

Overheat system
-Some skills can be used several times without going on cooldown, but cannot be
completely spammed or they will fill the overheat bar
-Overheat gauge is measured by black / yellow circles on each skill square.
-Each skill has a different number of overheat circles.
-When overheated the skill will go on cooldown
-Overheat bar is global (?) [Not true, confirmed by @Flash]
-Only skill that goes over threshold is put on cooldown (?) [True, each skill has its own gauge, ty @Flash]
-Gauge is reset after filled (?) [The skill goes on cooldown - there is no global gauge to reset]
-Skills must be alternated with basic attacks to manage gauge more efficiently [It is unknown how many auto-attacks are required to lower the gauge]
-Gauge goes down over time (?) [Doesn’t seem to be true, according to @Flash]

Maybe this is news to all of you, or maybe I’m just dumb and this was some scrapped mechanic. Whatever the case: discuss.

[Edited to add in Flash’s information]

7 Likes

this makes a lot of sense and explains why the cryomancer can use Ice Blast multiple times before going on cooldown.

Now this is definitely interesting.

I know iceblast and heal work something like that but not with an overheat gauge, so I’m wondering if it’s in-game, planned for later, or scrapped.

That would explain why someone used the zaibes skill twice before the cooldown triggered! You solved the impossible. :blush:

You can see the overheat system in my Cryomancer videos:

There are black dots on some skills. They become yellow when the skill has been used. Once all dots are filled the skill has a cooldown. It’s not global and afaik it won’t decrease over time so you should avoid having 2/3 yellow dots for too long.

Yeah, I also noticed in some videos that Barrage can be used twice before going on cooldown. However, I feel like the amount of iceblast spam was much longer than two instances of barrage. I feel like the overheat system hasn’t been finalized, but somewhat implemented. In that iceblast video, you can watch Steparu spam for different amounts of time, based on what they’re doing (jumping around, waiting longer between uses, etc). All this being said, the “overheat” for iceblast either needs to be nerfed (increased), or other skills need a buff (decrease).

I might be going a little overboard or missing something, but IIRC people were complaining about the jump mechanism being a little too strong I think, and also sugested an cooldown, something like stamina.

Oh, awesome - I never noticed that. It’s now completely apparent in every video, lol. However, I feel like more auto attacks are required to make it drop down. But it’s good to know it’s not global.

I would like to know, if its for every class or just specific?

it seems like it’s for some active skills, probably most classes have this system

1 Like

I believe this system should be removed or have a good reason for a skill to have multiple charges. For example, Cyromancer and Pyromancer bolts have charges because they interact uniquely with the environment. Say Cyromancer shoots ice bolt to a target cell where enemies get an initial hit of ice damage followed by x% chance to freeze and leaving an ice spike in the area which works like ice wall where you can hit with attacks/spells to shoot projectiles for a short period of time based on the number of hits the spike receives and enemies who aren’t frozen that try to pass through the cell the spike is on freeze with 100% chance. Where as for Pyromancer you’d have it work like I’ve seen in some videos where you cast it on a target cell monsters hit when cast with take initial damage and x% chance to burn, and leaving scorched ground that tics for damage on all enemies within the cell that also has a chance to burn targets on hit. But no charges are allowed to spells like cyclone for dopple in swordsman tree, mainly because that’s will just turn into a burst war between dps classes, for example my swordsman build is better than any other because i can use cyclone kill everything it touches wearing leather and cloth and then still have one more charge left to finish off the plate wearers.

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t just stick with the cooldown system in place and base spells functions based on how often they’ll be up? I mean the way I’m seeing it now it’ll just be put skill point into classes and spells that have multiple charge abilities because bursting something down before it can do anything to you will always beat the consistent over time damage no matter how you actually look at it.

I just want some 100% correct answers to how some of these systems work IN GREAT DETAIL so that we can actually give respectable feedback. Half the time I don’t even want to talk about the game because it seems like there is little to no factual information, just theories and opinions based on loose information picked up from people who don’t really know how to test a game or sometimes even play it with any respectable level of intelligence(I’m looking at you ■■■■■■■ people on youtube hopping around like ■■■■■■■ retards instead of casting skills on the boss, like why did you even get a ■■■■■■■ key facepalm[and yes I realize you can avoid some attacks doing this, I mean the jerkoffs who do it when the boss is just standing there waiting for you to kill it]).

Seeing as this thread is several months old, you shouldn’t get too heated about being misinformed. However, what I said back then was as well informed as it could have been, and not much of this information can be changed since I’ve been playing these last few months.

Essentially, everything originally mentioned before is true, except each skill has its own unique Overheat gauge (not global), and each skill has different number of uses before going on CD. The overheat gauge doesn’t go down over time, but it does go down after a certain number of auto-attacks (it’s usually faster to just put the skill on CD and wait).

Also, the vast majority of “■■■■■■■ people on youtube hopping around like ■■■■■■■ retards” you see are just Korean players playing the game, and people finding the video and talking about it. Also, hopping around is a mechanic for wizards to increase their attack speed, of which you’d probably be able to figure out for yourself had you done any actual research instead of bitching about the information not being blatantly obvious.

I’m pretty sure the overheat system was placed in the game to solve the mass-reccomendation of “I want to use more skills.”

• post on old topics
  • angry rant about how things should be your way
  • rage towards how other people play the game

Seems to be the formula for these diminishing forums at the moment. Dont mind him, although I do appreciate him re-surfacing this information for me.

That’s why we have mana bars isn’t it?

dat thread necro…