Tree of Savior Forum

Optimal Str : Dex ratio?

• Best ratio - anyone crunched the numbers yet? I heard of 3:7, I heard of full dex, idek anymore.
  • Don’t the stats give diminishing returns after a certain point (200+?).
  • Yes I am aware that equips and gems should be taken into account but let’s work on one step at a time

A guy did a spread sheet i don’t think he went as far as 3:7 but on the numbers he tested 1:1 was the best (not by much) if i can find it again ill edit in a link.

You mean this? Different classes have different speeds, but you get the gists of it. Although I wouldn’t count on it being completely accurate. Credits to Atreos@Reddit

6 Likes

Nope that is not the one i saw but very similar setup. But that probably answers his question.

@elysium Keep in mind when looking at these numbers that dex also provides evasion which is more useful than you would think.

This spreadsheet completely ignores weapon damage bonus :sweat: It is made with bare-handed auto-attacks and skills… Usually +5 weapon doubles your DPS and full STR investment makes only about 25% of it :expressionless: (25% left goes directly from your level) If I’m not being completely blind and sleepy here I strongly advise disregard all this otherwise awesome math.

… YES that’s the point weapons make your numbers less consistent so its tested bare handed to find out whats best then you add your weapon on afterwords.

1 Like

Sure :sweat_smile:

Just don’t forget small detail

On lv25(roughly) bare-handed
Full STR: 25str+25lv = 50 stable hit
Full DEX: (25lv)*1.5 = 37.5 on crit

weapon with average hit ~50
Full STR: 25str+25lv+50atk = 100 stable hit
Full DEX: (25lv+50atk)*1.5 = 112.5 on crit

Weapon turns results upside down :laughing: Good luck with your math though, I’m going to test STR 1:4 DEX. Guess why.

2 Likes

I know what your getting at but you wont crit every hit. now i agree that full str isn’t the best build but if we have another beta like the last where we don’t get to far in str is the way to go now if we get access to the higher lvls then yes crit gets more and more relevant to your average damage as weapons improve.

Yep, you got the point! Also crit has “upper limit”, after reaching it further investment is ineffective. It’s 100% crit rate on most enemies (obvious, isn’t it :wink: ) and it is not a concern of a low leveled character indeed. And of course, any patch note can turn things upside down again.

I have heard lots of rumors of diminishing returns on stats but haven’t seen any numbers yet if we get confirmation / values on this it could also change optimal builds a lot as well.

It’s people confusing ‘diminishing return’ and ‘relative gain’ because they’re looking at thing from different angles.

You still get the same 1 eva 1 crit rate, this does not diminish in anyway.

However, the percentage increase would be relatively less if you have 200 crit rate, compare to if you have 40 crit rate.

So if you look at it as raw stat, it does not diminish (1 eva 1 crit)
But if you look at relative gain as percentage, each point give slightly less than before (i.e. 1 atk gives 1% if you have 100 atk, but only 0.1% if you have 1000)

So with that said, “best ratio” is ever changing.
Assuming each point of crit rate gives the same % at all level.

At low level and without strong weapon to massively boost your attack, you’re likely better off with Str.
Then eventually crit rate takes over, until you hit very high crit rate (or 100%) then Str again.

Of course this isn’t taking into account Str givine Crit Atk which makes the value of Dex increased or that Dex gives evasion to help with not dying too.

tl;dr - there is no ‘best’ ratio to stick to like old WoW talent tree, if you care about min-maxing you’ll have to calculate it yourself because there’s too many variables to care (class like Highlander have +50% crit damage attribute, some skills favors different ratio due to how the skills work)
The game isn’t so demanding that you have to ends up with normal MMO’s “do this or gtfo”

1 Like

My dead brain is looking at those numbers. Can anyone simplify and elaborate how critical chance works with critical rate vs critical resistance? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh and also if anyone has the idea as for how evasion v accuracy works. It is not having a direct connection to STR:DEX damage output, but it is indeed having a a connection as on how we distribute the STR & DEX. Especially in PvP orientation wherein 100% evasion can be an absolute dck.

Wait, what? Level has something to do with dps?

Yes your base lvl is part of the damage formula.

The closest, but still rough and probably bloody wrong estimation I have in my disposal but well…

CritChance = ( CritRateStat - CritResStat ) * N;
N for archers being somewhere between 0.35 and 0.45. No info on swordsman though. You need pretty much 200+ advantage in crit rate stats to start doing full crits - no attributes taken into account.

Damage = (CharLv + StrStat + WeaponAtk + EquipStrBonus) * BuffModifier - DefStat
0 buffs means BuffModifier=1 also any stat may have its own buff/debuff modifier but I think you got the point.

CritDamage = (CharLv + StrStat + WeaponAtk + EquipStrBonus) * 1.5 + CritDmgStat - DefStat
calculated without any buff modifiers, I don’t know if CritDmg is affected by them. Also I’ve seen speculations about crit ignoring defence, this is probably wrong.

EvasionChance = dunno, any help appreciated :smile_cat:

It’s not that critical hit ignore defense, it’s just that defense being a flat reduction AND that crit is calculate before defense gives it a rather…powerful interaction.

In typical games, defense are % reduction and thus crit is always a factor of your damage done, alternatively crit is calculated on damage done after all defense factors for similar effect.

But with ToS way, crit is something more.

For example, let’s say a character have 300 attack, attacking a 200 defense enemy.
Normal hit will do 100
A crit, however, will do 250, a 2.5x damage compare to normal, even though the multiplier is 1.5.

Essentially this turns Crit into ‘bonus damage’ rather than ‘hit does X times more damage’, and because your normal hit already exceeded the enemy’s defense, this bonus damage is not reduced.

Of course IMC might shift around numbers to nerf this.
For example, have the defense reduction applies before the 1.5x + crit damage multiplier.
Well, physical damage can be evade so I guess that sorta balance part of it.

Alright. Another question popped up, was stupid enough not to test whether physical skills can be dodged.

a streamer on twitch told me around 2 to 1 (Str to Dex), he was like lv100-130

Yep, player skills, mob skills, boss 1 hit KO moves can be dodged. I went DEX 2:1 STR archer and pretty much was invincible - as long as incoming attack is physical. Leather mastery attribute is also helpful.

1 Like

So I guess if evasion-accuracy is linear calculation or something in between, we kinda need max status/status cap. Cant imagine a 500 dex-ed Rogue in 1v1 PvP with full complements of evasion skills and gears. Don’t you agree?