Tree of Savior Forum

ONE handed Spear vs TWO handed Spear? Corsair Dragoon vs Doppel Dragoon

You still have the same setup, with doppel. :stuck_out_tongue:

You do your regular hoplite and corsair combo. You then have 2x cyclone to use, which is just awesome for waiting cooldowns.

It’s also the best aoe skill in the swordsman branch. You also get one of the better dps buffs in the game aaand another drop related skill.

With dragoon, you just get a couple more attack skills that will just make you regret that you didn’t go with a 2h route.

That’s why I’m making my dragoon separate. Going full on 2h with it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@fitzfeliz Yes. I mentioned that.

LVL 250 Dragoon SWC1>PeltC1>HopliteC2>CorsairC2>Dragoon
I think this one is viable indeed

1 Like

I think is viable for sure!! Look at the foruns, i already saw some builds of it.

@simplistic.jon

It is a totally viable build and it does have a lot of synergy.

To be honest, while there might be some difference in damage between 2H spear and 1H+Dagger, it isn’t too significant because your DPS is mostly decided by the skills that you use rather than the weapon you wear.

You can use the TOSBase items database to search for the possible weapons you could use through the game, but here are a few examples:

1H Spear + Dagger

• Brandish + Venom

• Up to 756 raw damage against Large Type targets and 483 against Medium Type targets.

• Lolopanther + Venom

• Up to 813 raw damage against Large Type targets and up to 681 against Medium targets.

2H Spear

• Elements

• Up to 317 raw damage against all targets.

• Catacombs Pike

• Up to 600 raw damage against Large Type targets and 412 against other targets.

• Lolopanther Pike

• Up to 680 raw damage against all targets.

As you can see, 1H Spear+Dagger deals more raw damage compared to the 2H counterpart. What is making the difference is the Dragoon attribute that increases the damage against Large enemies.

Is it a significant difference? Yes it is, but you also have Hexen Dropper on your build which provides you with a different burst type of skill to deal damage and under the right circumstances it could be more useful than what other Dragoon builds have to offer.

Not to even mention that the extra damage you are losing is also gained as utility. Unlike other Dragoon builds, you are able to use Iron Hook and Jolly Roger, which is part of the reason for choosing Corsair anyways.

I can’t confirm whether Venom’s poison effect works with Double Weapon Assault. My guess is that it does and if this is the case then that is another good benefit although not as reliable as the Dragoon attribute.

But you do have the Corsair’s attribute that increases your damage by 12.5% when attacking an enemy from behind, so that is another thing to take into consideration (although this requires proper documented testing to conclude how effective it is in practice),

The Dragoon attribute also only really works against Large enemies and bosses, so it doesn’t make any difference on something like PvP, where either weapon set (1H+Dagger or 2H Spear) pretty much deal the same amount of damage.

So, follow your dreams and don’t be too discouraged by not being able to use the 2H Attribute from Dragoon because Corsair+Dragoon is a solid build choice.

2 Likes

Thanks for you input, hopefully this will be useful to someone else in the future. I decided to stick with the doppelsoeldner build since it may be cheaper in the long run. I wouldn’t need to upgrade two weapons, maybe even 3 if I decided to weapon swap.

I feel that both build will do around the same overall dmg in the late game so ya, play what you like. Also corsair is good for pvp too, that a plus point.

Hey!
I’m in level 65 and take SW1-H2 in FUll str i’m aiming for Dragoon in PVE but some PVP. So after reading some of your answers here i’m not sure if highlander was a good choice… Should i reroll?
I was following this build http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/678blvwmlz/ advise me plz.

Dragoon-Corsair is a valid path. Dragoon is a nice addition to a hop2-Cor2 build, since corsair C3 doesn’t add that much.
With corsair c3 you get: Ranged attacks, 100% uptime of Double Weapon Assault, 15 at Jolly Roger and extra points in your damage skills. But the range attacks doesn’t do that much damage, even without 100% uptime Double Weapon Assault is nice, Jolly Roger scaling is so obscure so is hard to guess if those 5 extra point are worth it and for damage dragon’s skills are way better.
With Dragoon you get a lot of damage plus the utility zones of Gae Bulg.

Even that I am considering going corsair c3, because it’s possible that it gets a buff in the future, and use a pistol is cool enough even if it doesn’t that much damage.

Utility and a kit to make pure “DPS” builds hatabutta and jelly.

Sword, Pel, Hop2, Cor2 as my base

This will allow me to go Dopple or Goon and honestly I may very well go Dopple just for more farm and to round out for when they open the next rank and can go Goon then.

This open ended approach will allow me to keep leveling and gaining info while not worrying if I will bone myself into a reroll.

I find any static moves, like stabbing etc, need pain barrier or they get wasted, also 99% of the time I try to get round back of bosses when fighting them. Adding Hexen to the kit just seems like pure win, plus who doesn’t like silver the secret stat that determines more about viability than any other major stat in the game right now.

a 170 gear set will easily hit 10M, and that is not even trying for +6/4 or higher. I know its still early but I don’t see deflation kicking in once f2p goes live. Not to mention some of these daily repeatables quests are asking for some really rare drop items, Lizardman bones I’m looking at you.

Lolopanther Pike deals 3x hits on large type targets and 1x against other targets. So 680 or 3x680 = 2040 on large.

I think it is alright for PvP. Your PvE suffers a little bit on utility because you don’t have Peltasta, but it is not too bad.

You can to reduce the amount of points on Dust Devil and give those to Iron Hook and Keel Hauling instead. And you might want to get level 1~5 of Gae Bulg depending on how you like that skill once you hit Dragoon.

Where did you get that information from?

@Cathexis
I didn’t really remember where. Can’t find it too, so please ignore this. It’s probably wrong. I ll look more about this and report if I got some trustful info.

I said that i was thinking about coursair dragoon but I found out that i can do this build too, what do you think would be better since the other one will have some lack of PVE? http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/jfz9oyxb29/

I think they are pretty much the same. I would prefer the Corsair one because it has more utility for PvP / GvG and you compensate the lack of Stabbing with Hexen Dropper.

1 Like

@Cathexis

Your thoughts on a Swordsman -> Peltasta-> Hoplite C3-> Doppel C1-> Shinobi?

Sounds absolutely redundant whenever I try to find something going for it, but I’m too lazy to recreate my warrior. Especially compared to the Barb/ Corsair-> Shinobi build.

The I’m closing in on Rank 7, but I would rather weigh my options. Kind advice would be helpful considering all these disheartening things I keep hearing about warriors and Earth Tower. I took your Brandish + Venom advice into mind, and am in the process of obtaining a Venom.

However, every party I’ve been since I got to rank 6, all I’ve done was tank. All I do is tank. I’m sick of tanking. I can deal 9-10k per hit (occasionally more, and with crits) with Stabbing on bosses hit by Spear Lunge. I heard Shinobi is popular in Earth Tower, I can always avoid taking Bushin since that requires a lot of DEX and I have a severe lack of useful Swordsman skills.

I still want Dragoon though, and again, I’m weighing my options as I get closer and closer.

*Forgot to mention, I invested quite a bit of silver to my attributes and weapon to get those kinds of numbers. My Wizard friends seem to do perfectly fine without spending too much.

I’m on the same boat man… approaching rank 7 and trying to decide between dragoon and shinobi. Would like to hear what shinobi is like for late-game such as earth tower :smiley:

@Decadence Do you have the same build as me, too?

@simplistic.jon yes man, I’m also Pelt-Hop3-Doppel.
I like the idea of the shinobi burst,and it interests me a bit,but I don’t know how viable it will be.

Dragoon,on the other hand just seems a safer route,as getting the 2h spear will just further buff all of your hoplite dmg and also cyclone etc.

Still trying to decide,just got the scroll for shinobi quest too xD

Edit: some guy named FrostNite posted a couple of videos of this build If u want to check it out.