Tree of Savior Forum

ONE handed Spear vs TWO handed Spear? Corsair Dragoon vs Doppel Dragoon

So, I’m very fond of the Corsair class, and since it’s on the way to Dragoon I chose to stick with. Now, I realized that Dragoons get a skill that increases damage on two handed spears. I want to maximize the class I’m going to make, but Hexen dropper only works when equipped with a dagger.

Is there a giant difference in DPS betweem them? I’d rather stick to the class I want, but the perfectionist inside of me wants the better bosser. So DPS. I can’t look past it guys, I was spoiled by MapleStory from all those years ago. I can’t find anything that has calculations for Spear + Dagger vs 2H Spear. One- handed spears are expensive by the looks of it. I know you’re going to say “play whichever class you’ll have fun with”, but how exactly am I supposed to have fun if this little thing is bothering me?

So how much better is a One-handed spear + Dagger compared to a Two-handed spear + Dragoon mastery? It sucks I can’t use Hexen dropper with a 2-handed spear.

*Well, my guess is that dagger won’t be used much since Hoplite skills and Dragoon skills only use a spear… I’m torn and I can’t decide.

Anyone…? :frowning:

It’s going to be hard to answer your question since there aren’t that many dragoons currently in the game. I’d also guess that there are even less Dragoons that took Corsair in their builds since those two classes don’t have a lot of synergy.

However, you can always try and swap weapon sets (1h spear +dagger / 2h spear) and use both skills.

I just wanted to say o/ fellow eve player

1 Like

You know it o7

/20chars

But there were a bunch of betas… don’t see why there wouldn’t be an answer. And I can’t see myself spending 2x the amount of silver to upgrade 3 weapons. 2 is fine, but another spear is just… no thanks. My question is simple: How does a one-handed spear + dagger compare with a 2 handed one + Dragoon mastery?

there were no dragoon in beta… r u getting mixed up between cataphract and dragoon?

Ditch corsair if you want dragoon is what I would suggest. There’s just better choices that have better synergy with it.

c3 hoplite doppel dragoon is what my dragoon is going to be, when I get to it.

Right now doing c2 hoplite, c2 corsair, doppel.

No, I’m not. There are some people here that played the kOBT, which had Dragoon. Wouldn’t make sense to see guides or builds that end up at Dragoon.

@Skygrinder Dragoon doesn’t have perfect synergy with it, but it sure works. Spear Lunge works great with Hexen Dropper, since it’s pierce. Doppel doesn’t exactly have synergy with it either, it just offers a buff and a skill that goes with pretty much anything on the swordsman tree. I wouldn’t call that “synergy”.

Corsair C2-> Dragoon offers the ability to use full on skills when fighting against bosses, since you gain 2-3 more on top of your current ones on rotation. Plus, the build you stated is the most common one. I don’t see why you wouldn’t go for it. Pretty sure 80% of the Dragoon builds are that build. It’s great, but extremely average and common.

Still no one has answered my main question. How does a one-handed spear + dagger compare with a 2 handed spear + Dragoon mastery? Better yet, explain to me how daggers work. Does the dagger work with a skill… say Stabbing from Hoplite? Or does it just take the damage from the spear and the dagger is useless? No arde daggers, since we’re going corsair if that were the case.

That’s why doppel is a great fill for anything.

I’m peltasta on rank 2, so I’ll be taunting and cycloning a lot.

Anyway, you can’t really be unique in ToS. You can try, but it’s not going to be as good as the common, obviously strongest build. Because it’s super easy to min-max in ToS. I’m hoping that some day, they will add another layer of customization for the character, one that will really allow unique choices that are equally strong.

Corsair c2 > dragoon just makes you lose hexen, which is a major skill. At least, if you want to use a 2h spear with dragoon.

It also makes you lose dust devil and double weapon assault becomes useless.

You can go for c2 corsair and dragoon, but with 1h spear and dagger, which is just a waste. Obviously, you will do much more damage as a dragoon if you go 2h spear.

Anyway, corsair skills will actually USE dagger and your main hand weapon.

Stabbing will not use dagger, BUT for example, if a dagger has +elemental property attack (like arde dagger), that WILL be applied to skill like stabbing, even though it doesn’t use dagger directly.

1 Like

I’m not against the build, it’s actually the build I’m going to resort to if the dagger thing doesn’t work out. It’s already too late for me to change my build for a Shinobi, since I’m level 100 already.

And thanks, that answers my question about the dagger. If only I knew about the 2 Handed Spear mastery from the get go, guess I didn’t bother looking at the attribute skills to even notice. Was really disappointed on finding out that I wouldn’t be able to do what I originally intended to do. Guess it’s cheaper, too.

What’s your current class path?

The 4 ranks you have

@Skygrinder Swordsman-> Peltasa-> Hoplite C2

Good thing I checked the attributes before I went ahead and kept grinding to 130.

So why not go c2 corsair now and then doppel, or even c3 hoplite in the end is fine. Hell, even Shinobi is a decent pick

I think with taunt and cyclone in the end, it’s just so good for farming, along with j.roger and double pay earn for extra crap

I’m doing this build just for that, since IMC sucks and they restricted everything, it’s hard to earn silver. So I’m making this build to have a true farming character

@Skygrinder I was thinking of Corsair C2-> Doppel, guess I didn’t think a lot about it. But if that’s how daggers work though, I’d rather not. I thought daggers added to your damage still to up your attack with your skills.

Like a 150 Attack Dagger + A 200 Attack Spear would equal a 350-370ish 2 Handed spear in terms of strength at some point.

As for Shinobi, I heard they can only use skills from the Swordsman line, and would’ve been better if I went ahead to Swordsman C3. Bushin wouldn’t be all that good for me either, considering my DEX is ass. I don’t even know how to advance to Shinobi (What are the unlock conditions?) or what a good build is with the current ones I have. I still have a stat/ skill reset. But right now, I’m sticking with a Dragoon. I’ll think about Corsair C2-> Doppel.

I just feel like corsair > dragoon is a waste, when 2h spear is so much more potent on dragoon.

I guess you can always swap weapon sets while fighting, but idk, it’s just something that I’m not into. I mean, I swap weapons through hotbar to abuse weaknesses, but I don’t actually use the normal set swap function.

Anyway, you can use 1h spear + dagger, do your corsair rotation, switch to 2h spear and do the dragoon rotation then.

@Skygrinder Well, the attribute is only towards Large monster types as well as Bosses, it’s not that more potent. The Corsair build still outputs much more DPS than the Doppel counterpart thanks to Hexen Dropper and Spear Lunge. You can use Hexen Dropper twice and get an extremely good output. When those are on cool down, you have Serpentine and Stabbing to rotate with along with pierce and your other skills. Doppel is just pure damage. That’s it. Adds nothing much to the table and still forces me to auto attack.

Sure a 2 Handed spear is more useful cause of the vs Large/ Boss Monsters, but it’s really nothing else… I saw a post here once that daggers added to your physical damage. Here, had to look for it: Does equiping subweapon like dagger adds to your maximum physical attack?

Since it does add to the damage, I’m not really sure. Still not 100% sure how daggers work. I know the magic property part, but nothing else.

You still have the same setup, with doppel. :stuck_out_tongue:

You do your regular hoplite and corsair combo. You then have 2x cyclone to use, which is just awesome for waiting cooldowns.

It’s also the best aoe skill in the swordsman branch. You also get one of the better dps buffs in the game aaand another drop related skill.

With dragoon, you just get a couple more attack skills that will just make you regret that you didn’t go with a 2h route.

That’s why I’m making my dragoon separate. Going full on 2h with it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@fitzfeliz Yes. I mentioned that.