Tree of Savior Forum

[Need advice] "Guild Master" build

Please bear in mind that this skill build was built with these intentions in mind :-

1. Focus on tanking even if it means to sacrifice offensive capability
  2. Provides as much utilities as possible to the party / guild members
  3. Have a few offensive skills as skill rotation when solo to do quest
    http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/xo3yyyjubz/
    I’ll try and provide some justification on why did I picked these ranks and skills.
    I’ll ask some questions after that since I don’t really understand the mechanism / usefulness of certain skills.

Rank 1 : Swordsman

• Bash is raised to 3 for knockdown attribute
  • Gung Ho is not raised since it doesn’t stack with Guardian from Peltasta
  • Pain Barrier is self-explanatory and the rests are distributed into Concentrate and Thrust

Rank 2 : Peltasta

• Swash Buckling and Guardian are self-explanatory
  • Umbo Blow and Rim Blow is raised by 1 to be included into the skill rotation
  • 3 SP is saved

Rank 3 : Peltasta

• Swash Buckling, Guardian and High Guard are self-explanatory
  • Shield Lob is raised by 1 to be included into skill rotation
  • 2 SP is saved

Rank 4 : Peltasta

• Swash Buckling, Guardian and High Guard are self-explanatory
  • Butterfly and Umbro Thrust are raised by 1 to be included into skill rotation (I’m not sure what’s the ? skill but if it provides better utility instead of pure damage I’ll drop Butterfly for it)

Rank 5 : Squire

• Repair and Weapon Maintenance are self-explanatory
  • Arrest is raised by 3 since it is very useful and beneficial for solo and party situation

Rank 6 : Squire

• Repair, Weapon Maintenance and Refreshment tables are self-explanatory
  • Base Camp is raised by 2 (my personal comfortable grinding time is around 2 hours. Additionally, if I can time it right I can give my party members an additional 40 minutes [inclusive of attributes] of food buff before the expiration of base camp take place.)

Rank 7 : Templar

• Quite explanatory for the choices.

Question

1. Should I drop Concentrate and max Thrust and Bash instead?
  2. What is the ? skills in Peltasta C3?
  3. Is Armor Maintenance useful?
  4. What kind of stat distribution should I use?
  5. Do cooldown still take place after I log off, at least for Base Camp?

~

Thank you for reading this and I hope to receive constructive criticism on this build.

Umblo Blow and Rim Blow needs to be lvl 6 for highguard bonus damage to take effect.

While in most cases Guardian should be left to lvl 1, but since your going full tank, k fine.

The biggest issue is do YOU have existing allies/friends to always play with since full tank is going to be really hard to level on your own. like you need a masochist level of patience.

So the level 6 requirement is from both of those 2 skills instead of the High Guard skill itself? Quite a let down but I guess it make sense (I guess I was too hopeful for that to be the case).

I’m aware of the difficulty to solo on my own if I go full tank / support but I’m quite a SM person so, heh.
But yeah, I don’t plan to do it all alone, not until the end of the day anyway. Why else would I be a Templar then? :sweat_smile:

Do you have any other comments you want to make on this build?

Maxing guardian is quite … idiotic if you ask me. High guard would provide you ridiculous amount of block that you don’t even need the extra 30 def from guardian. Heck I wouldn’t even spend 14 skill points for 30 def anyway.

Instead I would recommend adding umbo blow and rim blow to 6, save point for the new skills and umbo thrust

Something like this?

Do you have any idea what is the “?” skill though?

Yes something like that, and you might even consider leaving swashbuckling at 10 since you don’t need to lure that many mobs at the same time (they will stop aggoing on you if there are not enough space around you for them to stand)

The ? skill is an attacking skill, forgot the name, but it somewhat similar to synchro thrusting of hoplite, but much stronger and much lower in cool down.

So 20 maximum provocation is a guarantee to lure all the possible mob / boss to you?
What does increasing maximum provocation actually do though?
Or it actually doesn’t matter since there is Provoke Attribution?

No, the amount of provocation has nothing to do with the amount of mobs lured. Any mobs hit by swashbuckling will be lured to you (meaning 16 at level 10 and 21 at level 15)

Provocation is meant to steal aggro from mob, but I’m not sure it’s working properly at the moment. I can see it’s working on bosses though. For example when my party run instance dungeon and the team mate archer or mage produce very high damage that draw boss toward them, I cast swashbuckling and the boss is drawn back to me.

Okay, a 100% guarantee of luring the monster / boss away from party members is all I want.
I’m unsure but is there ever a situation where you need to lure more than 12 mob though? I’m thinking of maybe level 6 Swash Buckling, and 5 for all the 3 C3 new skills.
If there is a situation where there are more than 12 mob to aggro at once (even if it’s just 13) then I’ll be more than glad to put Swash Buckling at 10.

Actually, I’m quite concerned on whether if there would be a monster arena / Colosseum kind of thing in the future where there would be swarms of mob cornering a party in the middle, like a monster festival / best party competition sort of event. If there is a possibility of one then I guess 15 Swash Buckling should be ideal.

You can produce aggro yourself through damage though, that’s why I recommend having more attack skills.

So far I don’t see the need for more than level 10 swashbuckling, level 5 is enough for normal quest/grind, level 10 is more suited for places like demon prison

About monster arena, we don’t know right now

Alright! So I guess this should be somewhat the “best” build that fits the description I mentioned for now?

What about these questions though?

1. Should I drop Concentrate and max Thrust and Bash instead?
  2. What kind of stat distribution should I use?
  3. Do cooldown still take place after I log off, at least for Base Camp?

Edit : Forgot to put Swash Buckling at 10.

i think this is balance for a guild master build

EDIT: missed 1 point in peltasta but you already know where i would put it

swordsman - bash lv 3 for attribute (for pvp)
peltasta - guardian lv 1 for the attribute (18% increase evasion for a lv 3 attribute is ok if you are going dex)
barbarian - you dont need frenzy since you are a support/tanker type.
squire - basic necessity for squire
templar - same stuff from squire

it is boring to be a pure tanker mostly if you dont have a class that can deal damage if you are gonna solo.
for me i only need to get to C1 peltasta for the block attribute since im going full 1hand shield all the way and rarely go 2h sword (in case i find a good 2h sword for solo grinding)

barbarian for me is better than going highlander for early game tanking. pain barrier + swash buckling + warcry then hold C and let your party handle the dps is what i mostly do in party play.

tl;dr

swordsman - buff and lv 3 bash for attribute to be used in pvp
peltasta - your source of tank and party play
barbarian - your source of damage and solo play
squire - your source of money and support for party and guild
templar - guild master

Thank you for the suggestion and the effort in making one skill build out of it, but I think I’m going to stay with a full tank guild master build.
I understand it’ll be boring for most of the players out there to do full tank and feel inferior in soloing and even question why would they do so until an extent where it somehow “ruined” their personal enjoyment, but I personally enjoy being able to be relied on and able to provide as much safeguard as possible for my party members.
Plus I have a somewhat SM personality (being able to take hits and able to take my time to “torture” the mobs without letting them dying easily, which might deemed as inefficient to many but an enjoyment to me) so I’m certain I’m able to “endure” the “pain” and have enough “patience” for it, just like how I did in previous MMORPG (just to find that tank / heal are not even needed and treated as luxuries in those MMORPG though…).

If anything I’d drop Bash, Umbo Blow can provide knockdown and would allow you to raise Thrust more, Pierce type damage becomes very important overtime, yes it has literally double the cooldown of Bash but generally your party should AoE the knocked down mobs faster than you need to use it a third time.
Shield Lob is simply not a good skill, you literally lose your shield until you walk to pick it up or wait until it appears back in your invetory, this may not be an issue early when you can easily get two of your shield and can just use Weapon Swap for a new one, but later on when you begin to use Jalia Kite Shield and Sage Wall you may not always have two of it to keep your tanking AND capability to use all your moveset on point,with Swash Buckling the mobs come to you anyway and let’s be honest here, no one is getting hit by that in PvP, making it even more pointless.
Guardian honestly simply doesn’t give enough defence to be a skill worth investing in, the damage you recieve nulify it really fast and other defensive buffs such as Aspersion outclass it right off the bat, seriously Aspersion is so good it literally makes Guardian a waste of a point the extra evade aside., not that you are going to recieve any significative non-magic damage with High Guard and buffs, also high Guard’s Defence Increase Atribute.

I’m still not that versed into stat distributions, so I can’t help that much there.
Dunno on the cooldown of base camp either.

The last skill on Peltasta C3 to be more precise:

It was changed to Pierce in the last patch just so you know, not sure how many hit it deal though, probably around 3-5, seems to be the standar for this kind of skill.

I’m sorry but can you take a look for this updated build instead? It has Guardian lowered to 1 and a few changes had been made.

As for Shield Lob, I intend to use it only when I’m solo / do some quest alone. But if it’s really not worth for the “breakout” effect I’ll reconsider it.
I’ll also think about Thrust and Bash (chances are I’ll still go for Bash to provide more utility for the party since I’m most likely to party most of the time).

Nah the Guardian comment is mostly because I jsut find it that pointless, simply a personal opinion.
Just so you know, if you trow your shield or change (iirc for the later) you lose the Swash Buckling effect.

I’m pretty sure Shield Lob is supposed to be a “breakout” skill, as in you use it when you are about to charge into a swarm of mob and will never use it again before you face a new swarm. Like a grenade. And it looks so cool!
I’m quite unsure about the strike / pierce stuffs but this is not intended to be a DPS tank so I guess it doesn’t matter. Utilities come first for the party before anything so I’ll go for level 3 Bash nonetheless.
I think I’ll leave Langort at 1 as a filler since it’s damage : CD ratio isn’t better than butterfly (by using a very rough damage / CD calculation without considering a lot of factors).

Well, thing is, in party they are going to be the ones doing the ‘‘breakout’’ and as the mobs come in you use Swash Buckling to take the aggro so they can be safe, you also only have one taunt skill, meaning you need to keep the aggro from going to the rest of the party, the only way to do this is via dishing out a decent ammount of damage. Simply trowing Swash Buckling and stading there blocking simply wont do, specially as the mobs keep getting stronger, this game is just not a game where the tank can just stand there and take it, this is a game where everyone can and should be dishing out damage an the tank is absolutely not an exeption.

Well, I did mentioned that I’ll only use it when I’m alone for lob shield.
Yes, I understand that I need to hit to maintain / increase provoke, a reason why I take as many offensive skills as possible to include them in my skill rotation. But being able to dish out the maximum damage shouldn’t be prioritized for this build and there’s also a provoke attribution to increase the provoke value for it.
Unless you’re telling me that in ToS enemies will just go for the highest damage dealer while ignoring provoke values or provoke attribution does nothing then it’s a mechanism that gone wrong instead.

It’s mostly due to my better safe than sorry mentality, when everyone else deals around five times more damage in two skills than you in your whole rotation I’d say it’s better to play it as safe as posible.