Tree of Savior Forum

My feedback on linear progression and other stuff

if you’re gonna search the keyword “Linear” on the forum you’ll see a post on how linear is the game.

Yep on the forum.if 10% of the players ever go in the forums its good.
Lots of people doing onlly one thing in the game andbcry there only this one thiing to do.

You are literally arguing over facts that makes no sense.
Have you ever understand the meaning of FEEDBACK?

You expect majority as in 90% of the players to comment on this subject to ensure that our argument is valid?
Seriously? Are you new to online forum?

There are who played game for the value, and there are some who don’t give a ■■■■ what sort of value the game presents.

It’s comments from those who VALUE the game that you really should take note.

The game is LINEAR, it’s proven.
Each NPC gave out quest that are similar to the previous one.
It’s repetitive, static, quests are too subjective, there’s no variety, AT ALL.

You say ppl come here to CRY A LOT, then why are u here?
You could see lots of people here disagree with your non-sense, yet you still cling to this subject like a parasite.

If the game proves to give you more entertainment then the forum itself, then go play your game while we discuss what is LACKING in the game.

1 Like

i’m here to chew bubblegum and kickass :facepunch:
I coment here when i at work.
What proven and where?please give an example of a quest you want to see.
Value is not somthing you or me making the standards for.
So lets one more time see what you can do in game.
1.story quests
2.not story guests
3.exploring maps
4.party and making friends
5.farm exp/silver/items
6.dungeons
7.building you perfect build.
8.complete achievements

So if doing 8 things is not good for you then i am sorry.

Lets compare TOS to RO in another point of view.

In RO you get money pretty slowly if you dont throw a lot of money in the game. Maybe before the ROPs system the game was good, but the drop rate for cards and equipments still was so low that was better buy the gear than look for it. For me , it is not the way the game should be, TOS is much more smart with it, you gain almost all the gear you need from quests and leveling, you can also go to some maps to make recipes and improve your gear even further.

In RO you have godlys and MVPS cards and wasnt a game designed thinking in the long long run, when a lot of this big overpower items and cards will be in the game and ruin it. In TOS all items are very balanced (for now maybe, i hope it stays like this) and your gear is just a normal armor and not a OP one with absurd effects , stats and other stuffs.

In RO the exp was so damn low that you needed days, months to level up depending of your schedule. It wasnt a game designed for casual players that play only 2-3 hours per day. Also, they tried to make a quest system with drop items and was ruined by bots. They tried a party system , but the exp without the pt was so bad that was better waste hours waiting for a pt on the cities. In TOS you can level up alone , grinding or doing quests, what I think is the essence of a MMORPG.

Finally, in RO you will find a lot of bots, because the point of the game is play a lot to get good. TOS, as far i see, is trying to make you improve and go further, you gain much more leveling that looking for a gear. Bots still can be a problem for the economy, but you can still compete with a bot in the leveling side.

So, TOS is better than RO in almost everything. If they use the icoins just for reset scrolls and visuals and dont let bots ruin the economy this game can be almost perfect.

5 Likes

So much this.
Finaly someone that is not living in nostalgia

Well you have your point.they will not restart the game 2 make ro from it if they want 2 release it some time soon.

You must’ve been the worst RO player in history if that’s how it was for you.
You shouldn’t have needed to throw any money into the game to get anything. Zeny was pretty easy to acquire, but just extremely easy to spend as well.
By contrast, ToS’s equipment system is so horrible it deserves a medal for it. You don’t go around improving your gears, you go around replacing it. Not only that, the equipment drop rate is so high that pretty much every player makes their money from selling them to NPCs. Thus, mob-dropped equipments are completely valueless on the market. In RO, every equipment, no matter how crap had a value on the market. Whether or not it was worth buying it or not was up to the player.

God Items in RO were guild affairs. They required an entire guild to have captured every available WoE castle and gotten the god item components from the treasure chests (less than 1% chance) and even then, they had serious drawbacks. MVP cards were only available from, you guessed it, MVPs. That’s a boss that also required a party, with a spawn rate of 1-6 hours and a card drop rate of 0.01%. Yes… they were sooo common they ruined the market. In fact, in my 9 years of playing RO I only ever had one drop: A Pharaoh card, and it sucked.

At the time RO was made, the amount of exp required to level up was the norm. It was welcomed by all who were looking for a game to call home, and not one they could finish and move onto the next shiny game to come out. Though as time has passed, RO’s classic exp rates are low, though 5x rated private servers were about the right speed and that’s all it needed.
Parties were always a part of RO and functioned well. Later on down the track though, exp rates were boosted for every player that damaged a monster while in a party. It made partying more common but by no means destroyed soloing. In fact, most classes solo’d because it was faster, so please stop talking out of your ass.

Bots didn’t turn up actively in RO until a few years ago. Both official and private servers actively hunted them down and IP banned them. These days, there’s so many that the official server admins just don’t bother. Then again, we have bots here and the GMs don’t do anything about them, so your point is moot… again.

6 Likes

My biggest problem is that i sold the game to my brother by telling thing i believed:

Quest aren’t important (FALSE)
You won’t grind in the same zone if you are ice, physical or fire etc based (False)

You don’t grind at all in this game, i’m 123 there’s is no zone after chappel to grind you run a lot between littl group of monsters that’s all.

I love grinding i base my reference around Disgaea, Diablo 2/3, Path of Exile, Final Fantasy 14 arr. I thought it was impossible to do more boring grinding than FF14 arr Fate grinding well guess what i was wrong…

I’m feeling like i would reroll just to make an other char to 60 in Chapel then reroll again etc.

I got it, you want TOS to be more difficult and is not like it shouldnt, but the mechanics of TOS are completely different from RO. The attributes, repair, potions and sometimes some equipment from the market demand a lot of money and I dont feel no fun at all if i have to choose between one of them during my journey because they dont give me enought money along the way.Is good to have money and do choices about what to do next. The could give the players others ways do get money or reduce the prices by half or 1/3 and the actual system still will be fine by me.

Ragnarok started very good as TOS but they messed up everything along the years. God Items and MVP cards ARE stupid. They thought exactly what you think, that is an item that only one person of a top guild will have or a very rich person and probably only one or two of them. It obvious that was not intent for everyone has it, but after years are so much MVPs cards and God items that they destroyed the game.

The point is not do something for avoid the bots, but nullifies them, making something like good gear only dropping for dungeons.

And you sir have a very bad attitude, I hope i dont find people like you in TOS. I hope you hate the game and leave :smile:

4 Likes

I just want ToS to be a game that has as much social and gameplay depth as RO. Right now, it’s delightful in and of itself, but also quite shallow.

Is it too much to ask for a game to be good, solid, and technical these days? A well designed game should be able to accomodate the lazy player with some amount of instant gratification, but also reward those who actually love the game enough to sink many hours into learning everything about it.

It’s like wine. An average person can appreciate a glass of wine, but an avid wine enthusiast is not prevented from getting much more enjoyment out of it’s more advanced facets such as history.

When you design a game specifically to appeal to the ‘easy’ crowd, you limit the potential of what the game can be as a whole. ToS is already showing some alarming trends towards that, such as linearity, hand-holding, and overly simplified stat system/scaling. These things may make it easier for a person to learn the game quickly, but will not reward them in the long term after they’ve finished learning and desire to learn more.

3 Likes

FFS stop replying to that troll, why are you trying to argue with someone who don’t even know what’s happening.

2 Likes

Ppeople this hame will not be made in to ro .stop making me say it.the vanilla ro was so good?why the the changed it?ro have problems well.
You are asking for guilds and andbgame like things in close beta 2?really?in open beta it will be some what ok.
We dont know how much more imc will add 2 the game.but if you want them do one more ro, dont look 2 me they want 2 make vanilla ro in 2015.

Hey buddy, I just purposely made another lvl 1 Character and ran all the way to Tenet chapel without doing any single quest. And sure enough I entered it without any issues. You can even take another route to come out of north-east exit of Klapedia that leads to Gitis Settlement (lvl 69 map) and through it go to any other maps, from lvl 40+ all the way to 250+. Have you tried exploring the map instead of following main quest you hate so much?

Yeah sometimes you have to go through higher level locations to reach lower level places, and that’s the actual issue here, especially considering the fact that you won’t even know where to go since these locations don’t appear on the world map until you discover them. That’s why I already said in previous post that finding places to go is indeed not as easy as it should be. Perhaps there could be more towns with low level maps around them.

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I was able to make a run for Fedimian as soon as I got to gateway :smiley:
I am a little put off by the linearity of this game. However, I feel like I must be the only ex RO player that never really saw the overall appeal of RO. The only thing going for it, for me, was the number of classes. The rest was soulless grind and the occasionally WoE (which to be honest, I was perfectly okay with in the mid 2000’s).

Now you could go and grind in a huge number of environments with different art assets, and I think that might be something IMC needs to think about because things feel a really samey in this game in terms of map design.

But I honestly wonder how much of this grief is simply due to not being able to recapture that nostalgia.

2 Likes

‘It’s 2015’ is not an excuse. Good game design principles, much like art fundamentals, colour theory, anatomy theory and any other basis for medium are timeless. Well-designed games such as Dark Souls continue to be developed even in this day and age. The only reason why developers are afraid to make a really big game is because of this silly notion that modern gamers can’t handle anything more complex than a guided tour.

1 Like

Well this game ■■■■■■■ have 600 lvls.you got even to lvl 300?as i go on monsters and bosses start be harder at.this is 2015 is not an excuse.imc doing the game ut doing and xont need to make excuses 2 no one.what was a good game in 2000 is not necessarily good now.things change.ro was never hard or challengeing.its was slow and long.it have its fun and wasbgood game for the time.re make it now will not give the numbers they need.you need to understand that now days a game like this need 2 have at last somthing lie 500k players or start p2w.you dont want p2w.
There is a guided ture here but no one forcing you 2 take it.go grind,the ture will not take you to the good grind points.
Go do dungeons.
Go have fun.

You cannot explore in this game. You are punished for doing so. Have fun getting one-shot by a level 100+ monster. You want people to do dungeons but fail to realize these dungeons are apart of the linear storyline. There is not enough variety in zones to make grinding worthwhile. You -need- to do the quests in each zone to get exp cards, they are not optional at all. The quests you find unmarked do not count for exploration. Just because they don’t have an exclamation mark above their head does not mean they are not apart of a quest hub.

I’m primarily talking about Gytis Settlement to Tenant Farms. It’s not obvious that you need to go to these zones after mausoleum, but it is still a linear path from quest hub to quest hub.

Here’s the map btw:

Which part of the world do you want me to die in because I’m only level 85 and all the quests that I’ve been able to accept are complete and the grind spots are jampacked with people.

Ok show me one open world/sand box game where you at lvl 1 or a low lvl (85 is low in this game) can go any where and not fund monsters too strong for you at this point?onlly a game that have no lvls at all may be have somthing like this.
The dungeons i talking about are the lvl 50 90 and 130, the instance one.they are part of no story or quest. you get “punished” in what way?you cant kill monster 100 lvl from you? The moment you can do it there will be a problem. So stop it.

You don’t seem to understand. Compared to doing quests, grinding is NOT VIABLE for leveling compared to quests due to the way the EXP rates are currently designed.

Also, due to the linear design of the game, there’s very little to actually do while grinding. Back in RO, I could choose to grind at several locations where monsters would always drop something that I could later sell to high lv players in order to fund their skills, so my time was always well spent.

There’s a little bit of that here (Wugushi poisons for example) but not nearly enough. The world itself does not have enough depth to give people a reason to really come to love and appreciate every part of the map the way you could in RO.

It’s still much better than many other modern MMO’s such as Tera where you literally have no reason to ever go back to low lv areas. But it could be much better. These developers do not need to stick to western gaming conventions in order to make a good game and I hope that they realise that. The world design in ToS is already radial, not innately linear. They need to take that direction and take it stronger rather than half-hearted.