Tree of Savior Forum

[Monk | Sadhu] Build synergy

Hmm, I see… thanks for the info.

Is that how it is about the thread? Maybe they’re trying to play the meta too much, and would refuse to budge until shown objective data (video for examples), which is understandable…

I just dunno, -30% defense debuff’s noticeable but not that big, but the evasion buff is… huge. Would scale really well with a high DEX build, which is best done on a physical class anyway because of the crit… and then you have to have a way of dealing with magic attacks, which can be dodged with Prakriti.

Ya dig me?

Then, high DEX would make Safety Zone last MUCH longer, hits you dodge don’t count for the block count… with sufficiently high DEX and OoB, there’d be a lot of leftover points for STR/CON… and you get high crit to play with and benefit from. To be fair, this build will probably have less dmg than STR-focused in PvM, but the synergy is just too temptating. OoB seems to scale horribly with INT anyway, so there’s not much of a point in building for INT unless Sadhu has op synergy with something else or you really want Possession DPS.

What would you go for in terms of circles though? 2 on Cleric, 1 on Sadhu, 3 on Monk... what else can benefit from the crit? Smite scales far better w/ crit than Carve, and Pally1 offers some nice aoe vs Devil/Mutant in Turn Undead and Heal tiles boosting through Restoration...

There’s also the thought that One Inch Punch (which I would prefer w/o CD attribute for higher DPS) and Energy Wave both scale fairly well off of crit… Energy Wave and Double Punch are the ones that scale well off of STR…

By the way, additional info… I haven’t tested, but from others’ tests, it seems Deprotected Zone + Hand Knife makes the latter a line aoe for some reason, and it will knock up even Large monsters… sounds bad for partying for me unless you need the CC, but for solo it’d be a line aoe w/ very short cooldown assuming its aoe ratio is made infinite.

Oh my God... SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE? YOU'VE CREATED A MONSTER A THEORYCRAFTING MONSTER brb as I try to make a build idea for this...

EDIT: dreams instantly crushed, Sadhu was a rank4 class :frowning:
Priest1 would be good for this build because of Monstrance though… huge DEX buff…

EDIT2: I’m not really worrying about efficiency at all at this point, just trying to make an idea I liked viable. So don’t worry, I’m probably in the same boat as you in that regard.

The meta changes with every patch anyways, so might as well go for a build I like.

True, the defense debuff isn’t that big, but for me there weren’t any other options I liked. Making statues while double-punching seemed cumbersome, and I already tried Priest 2 and didn’t like it. I also didn’t like paladins, looked for other options and saw Sadhus as a viable way for utility and a bit of DPS. I went with STR:DEX 1:1 and I already see the evasion helping, so a high DEX build would probably be viable.

Cleric C2 Safety Zone with attributes maxed go for 40 hits, and even before I tried going Sadhu and was a priest monk with 3:1 STR:DEX, I never see the Safety Zone go out until it’s full duration. The build will probably be less damage than STR-focused builds, but the bulk of the damage comes from equipment anyways, and I am not too worried about the difference in damage if I can make whatever I lack with equipments. I am probably never touching Possession, or Sadhu C2 in general since C1 is more than enough.

Circle 2: You are stuck with Cleric, Priest and Krivis. Zaibas scales directly with INT and as monks, you won’t be that much of a support to utilize Daino, so you are stuck with Cleric and Priest unless you invest in SPR.

Circle 3: You have Bokor and Diev. Bokor is er … somewhat interesting since there is a skill for STR and Mackangdal is interesting to go for. Diev is the premier choice to go for, even C1 is good for Statue of Laima to decrease cooldown of your Monk skills.

Circle 4: You have Paladin and Sadhu. Paladins have smite, and I read about someone going Paladin and Monk, so it’s viable. I went with Sadhu because of the utility I can use, that’s all.

Yeah, the options are there for Circle 1-4, anything looks viable, really. You could even go for a funky DEX / SPR build with other classes like Krivis and Priest if you tried, though I don’t know if it’s viable.

I tested Deprotected Zone and Hand Knife and it indeed works. You have to wait for the monster to get the debuff and then use Hand Knife. Damage does not change. Hand Knife does not have a short cooldown, so you might want to get Diev C1 in. Interesting stuff though, I didn’t know about this. Thanks for the info~

1 Like

Well, it’s still a significant debuff. Would not be so if it were a flat reduction, but since it’s one of the rare %s in this game, it should be very noticeable.

I went and gathered information… the average dmg of a DEX build seems to be ~10% lower than a STR-focused one, assuming no crit increasing skills/shenanigans in particular.

also, I’m pretty sure that you can go for two circles of the same rank it’s first available in pretty easily, no? Like Priest3 + Krivis1… Krivis2 + Priest1… so Paladin and Sadhu isn’t mutually exclusive either, it’s just that there’s no room for Monk3 if going Pally1 + Sadhu1 without rank8.

Thanks for testing and you’re welcome for the info, but let me ask: once the line aoe is generated, will it hit mobs that weren’t affected by Deprotected Zone yet (that are in the line range)? Or nah?

Yeah, can’t wait for that one monster with dumb amount of Physical Defense xD.

Most players I read about went and stacked crit on STR builds and damage on DEX builds, so I figure gear will be how my build will do.

Not sure what you mean by this one though, but yeah there is not much space with 7 ranks. A very optimized build around Sadhu will probably be something like Cleric C1 Priest C1 Diev C1 (or fit in Diev C2) Sadhu C1 Monk C3 (Monstrance + Laima + Sadhu), but er … I cry at the amount of skills on my skill bar.

You only need one monster to get the debuff from Deprotected Zone and hit that chosen one with Hand Knife, and the AOE is generated, hitting anything in the linear AOE whether it is affected by the debuff or not.

[quote=“4lkruzeth, post:65, topic:289161”]
Not sure what you mean by this one though, but yeah there is not much space with 7 ranks. A very optimized build around Sadhu will probably be something like Cleric C1 Priest C1 Diev C1 (or fit in Diev C2) Sadhu C1 Monk C3 (Monstrance + Laima + Sadhu), but er … I cry at the amount of skills on my skill bar.

You only need one monster to get the debuff from Deprotected Zone and hit that chosen one with Hand Knife, and the AOE is generated, hitting anything in the linear AOE whether it is affected by the debuff or not.
[/quote]What I mean is that I’m pretty damn sure two classes of the same rank aren’t mutually exclusive o_O. So you can go for both Priest and Krivis in the same build, so long as you pick them at different times… start with Krivis then go Priest, for example.

Cleric2 is considered the bare minimum for supporting in parties (or Cler1 + Priest3). You can go Cleric1 if you’d like ofc, but then it’d be a pure solo build - not because of what is or what isn’t meta, but because you’d literally be unable to heal the party enough to stay alive - which I’m not sure is your intention.

Thanks again for the further clarification o/.

I’ve seen it mentioned that your spirit can use a dagger instead of the matk punching. Is that not true, or is that damage just lower than the normal oob damage?

Hi, may I know if obb still able to attack while the charging of energy blast? Is the bug u mentioned with attribute remove knockdown turning on?

I’m still new to the game but by personal preference im planning to go cleric 2 > diev 1 > sadhu 1 > monk 2 > plague doctor 1

Sorry for my bad English :smiley:

@Naivety Likewise, thank you for the hand knife tip~ You could go Cleric 1 if you wanted, but looking at higher level content (well, at least lvl 190+), you really need those tiles in oh-sh*t moments. And Fade too, that skill saved me quite a few times when I just don’t want to deal with some mobs.

@dmhamilt Er yes you can use your dagger. How it works is, while in Out-of-Body, pressing C with a dagger will make your spirit do the dagger stab, not the body, and you can still use skills on your Monk simultaneously. The damage is the same as how much damage you would do if you used dagger on your body.

With that being said, the damage I deal with Out-of-Body auto attack is stronger (like 100-150 damage stronger or something) and unless my dagger is enhanced or the enemy is weak to pierce or something, I never use it.

@LucianBH You can use Out-of-Body auto attacks while charging and using Energy Blast, and er yes I have that attribute turned on.

Cleric 2 > Diev 1 > Sadhu 1 > Monk 2 > Plague doctor sounds good if you can handle all the skills. All that matters is that you are having fun with that build. Just note that some players hate rainbow builds (one star in every class) or inefficient builds, and my build was enough to tick off some players, especially a select few who hates the idea of using STR and INT based classes together. If you can take note of how long the debuffs last and incinerate with all the debuffs, the damage should be good.

@dmhamilt Yep just tested, on a monster (Denden lvl 191, Ruklys Street), I deal 231 X 3 damage with Out-of-Body auto attack and 270 damage with an Arde dagger stab. I don’t know how it will play out in future with maxed-out attributes, physical damage, elemental damage, the addition of STR, using better daggers, whether the monster has weaker physical or magic defense and what-not, but I hope those numbers prove something.

Lv252 int4:1 sadhu(currently 438 int)…With 40% attrib, +3 awakened ignition, 2 wizard bracelets and 175 elemental damage, my OOB does 667*3…
Just another prove of how badly scaled this skill is…
My chaplain already does over 3k per AA (30% attrib, full buffed) at lv200 with much worse gears…

Er,
Lvl 195, no INT investment (13 INT), 0% attributes, Tyla Plate armor, Bearkaras Bracelet and Zachariel Bangle, +3 Suncus Maul, Arde Dagger and an Electus, my Out-of-Body un-buffed does 349 x 3 on a tree root crystal …

The skill, or rather, INT’s scaling with Magic attack really scales badly wow.

DEX Sadhu > Monk3 might not benefit too much from the DEX if your Safety Wall level is high enough. Despite the evasion buff.

But, Safety Wall requires you to stay put in place… which is much more of a solo thing. Have you tried party play at all?

I’m going 1:1 for STR:DEX just because. You can follow other stat build really, me putting 1:1 is simply because of preference. When I made my Priest Monk, I went STR:DEX:CON 3:1:1.

Like I said, my build is more solo and preference, and it becomes gimmicky when bosses move around. I need to level up and get good equipment, so of course I did some party play in dungeons. I had to get the first hit with Monstrance > Energy Blast and hit fast to gain and keep aggro from party members. For bosses that do not stay in place, I simply play as a Monk without Sadhu skills, double punching all the way with debuff upkeep with Monk skills, which is what I do as a Priest Monk anyways…

So SZ mobility is a problem huh… well, in a party you’re that much less likely to get hit while in OoB (and you can dodge aoes with Prakriti), especially with a tank. So maybe you can just play without SZ and reserve it for emergencies? Doesn’t sound bad.

also, I found this thing. SPR Sadhu + Krivis + Monk3 for critting w/ Zalciai anyone??

http://www.tosdb.org/item/203102/Kaloo_Hammer

Chances are it still scales badly anyway, though, but it might be worth a try when/if OoB ever gets buffed

[quote="4lkruzeth, post:72, topic:289161"] The skill, or rather, INT's scaling with Magic attack really scales badly wow. [/quote]Nah, it's OoB that scales badly, not INT.

Both INT and STR can net some amazing numbers IF the skill used is multihit, because INT/STR bonus is applied once for every hit (more if the skill naturally scales more than once with INT/STR, like Heal, Cure, and Zaibas).

Haha, I saw the synergy with SPR but I simply didn’t want to go SPR.

True, I read that the 150% magic damage from Out-of-Body’s auto attack is divided in 3 hits and any bonus is divided accordingly.

Yeah. If it were three “magic attacks” instead of 150% MaTK/3, INT would apply once for each hit, so it’d both be much more powerful and scale that much better.

I assume OoB can’t crit btw, right? Since it’s magic.

Still, I’m also starting to think that Sadhu1 brings very high utility for Monk3, perhaps the highest out of all class choices. You lose out on dmg from Diev2, soft taunt, and a shorter CD on Energy Wave, and Diev2’s party support with World Tree is really strong. But that requires 2 ranks, and you lose out on Priest1, the DEF debuff/evasion, CC and movement.

Diev2 definitely sounds better for parties… but for solo, the utility on Sadhu1’s more desirable. Unless you just want max dmg, but in that case it might be better to go Diev1/Pally1/Monk3 rather than Diev2.

**EDIT:** btw fam, you might want to edit your thread's title to "Sadhu + Monk Research Journal" or something, since we do know already that it's viable even if not the best :smile:

What build did you go for on Monk? Most people max 1 Inch Punch, but I’ve been wondering, and God Finger Flick is both higher dmg, lower cooldown, and a much faster animation. So I think I’ll just max Finger Flick instead, and leave 1IP at lv1 for the Silence utility.

I’m also seriously considering Pally1 instead of Monk3 for rank7. The only thing I gain from Monk3 is higher levels on skills I already have… but with Pally1 I’d get another skill for my rotation, and against Mutant/Devils I get another strong aoe tool in Turn Undead.

and how does the movement bug work exactly? I hear you’ve only really seen it triggering with Body Explosion?

Haha, the gimmick is just that you can’t move while double-punching, and that may annoy a lot of people. I still believe Diev does the most damage with Carve and Laima, or a further investment in C2 for Owl and Silence.

For my build (or build-to-be) I’m going for how most Monk C3 builds look like, but I am planning to max Golden Bell Shield for fun and putting one point in God Finger Flick in lieu of kToS patches for it.

I don’t see why not go paladin, I went with my build because I know that’s how I wanted to play my monk, and paladin was not how I wanted to play it. If you feel paladin is good for your gameplay, why not? :slight_smile:

Regarding the movement bug, most people use Out-of-Body and after returning to the body, they can’t move and keep rubber-banding to their previous position. The only way to remove the bug is to recast Out-of-Body. I only see it triggering with Astral Body Explosion sometimes, but I think the bug occurs when you return to your body while your soul’s position is too far from the body. Then again, I’m not sure, and you might as well ask others who know more.

Hmm, yeah, that does sound like it might be a bother for parties. Well, if everything else goes wrong and you lose aggro, Prakriti’s CD is pretty short, and by then you’ll already have contributed with def debuff.

I don’t think Owl scales well at all without INT o_o. The biggest reason most Monks go Diev2 is probably “well there’s nothing else that scales with STR in this rank anyway, might as well get Carve 10”… and the added support’s pretty good. Silence is op in both PvM and PvP.

[quote=“4lkruzeth, post:78, topic:289161”]
For my build (or build-to-be) I’m going for how most Monk C3 builds look like, but I am planning to max Golden Bell Shield for fun and putting one point in God Finger Flick in lieu of kToS patches for it.
[/quote]I’d warn you against that actually, because most Monks want to do at least a bit of pvp (hence max 1IP). You’ll most likely have more success with max God Finger Flick than max 1IP in PvM by a significant margin.

Unless what you want to do is be Bruce Lee with Sadhu capabilities :frowning:

But then if you actually know how a one-inch punch is done IRL, you’ll be immediately aware that IMC has no idea about northern China kung fu :frowning:

rip the bruce lee dream :frowning:

(Yeah, the Pally mention was more there to share the idea)
I see, thanks for the info. But yeah, already asked on the Sadhu thread, still no feedback though.

**EDIT:** this is the build I'm thinking of, by the way. http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/b0pp9ob9qn/

Fun fact: the setup ended up with pretty high STR, despite having enough DEX for the soft evasion cap of 80~85%…

The damage is indeed higher, but the skill description “… throw a coin at an enemy” kind-of suggests that it only hits one enemy, and One Inch Punch has a lower cooldown so I went with the One Inch Punch. I’ve checked on Diev threads and many said that Owl without INT investment is still good damage. Then again, what good damage is, is different with everyone, so might wanna take a look at those threads.

Haha, I just read the Sadhu thread every now and then. That thread is more inclined towards INT-based builds.

About your build, you might want to rethink adding points in Iron Skin. I tried it before deleting my Priest Monk and despised that skill so much.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned while researching, it’s that IMC’s descriptions aren’t something to be trusted at all. That said, I’d think it’s affected by your aoe rate normally, but you can test when you get it to lv1 one way or another.

You’re right on the CD of 1IP being lower, I was thinking 1IP was 35 for some reason… but then you waste 3~4sec on the animation alone, so the difference should be negligible.

Owl should be good dmg but should also fall off pretty hard at 200+ without INT. IMO it’s not worth investing if all it’ll do is help you level and there are other options.

Iron Skin is only at lv1 to prevent knockback/kd. It’s a standard for Monk builds because of that feature… though I’m not sure if it’s worth it for Sadhu+Monk since you’ll have to recast OoB if you get hit, and especially since DEX barely ever gets knocked back/down anyway.