Tree of Savior Forum

MONK DoublePunch: What the he** happened?

Tried Monk. The Attack Speed buff is nice but just a bit faster than Demi Wolf Form. I really wanted to try Monk on my second char but it was so bad that I went for Druid instead. No regrets.

It was Re built lol, nothing to be amazed of, now you can have the double attack added to the basic attack without spending mana, try combining it with other things.

Thats the fun part discovering new builds

I play Monk on my main. It’s different but in a good way. DP was never supposed to be the class’ primary damage source and it definitely isn’t now that it’s an Atk. Speed buff and basic attack modifier. For that you should be using the other skills (Except Energy Blast. Cool as it looks, it’s just not justifiable to put points into).

Anyone here knows if you can get Golden Bell Shield past level 5 with Divine Might?
I was wondering what would happen with it if you stack suncus maul’s +2 to monk skills, DM, Henge Stone, and Black liver wort gem.

Another person that sugest things without have even tested it. .

That is the problem, I never thought on giving up on Monk.

Really, that is interesting. Well, my previous monk mainly skill was double punch.
But lets go to the point: I really don’t see how the other skills are worth it. They have a terrific delay to be actioned. Any other class of the Cleric tree could do more damage with more benefits. The problem is that I simple liked monk a lot.

1 Like

I crapped on Monk problems in Re:Build in another thread:

But yeah, no matter how scaled down damage is supposed to be, 50% x 2 (or 100% since its now fake multihit) skill factor for Double Punch is a joke. Double Punch is now a skill only for Chaplain Monks who can’t get enough DEX or want to save points from Chaplain Attack Speed buff.

With regards to Double Punch, in the first place, Auto Attack builds with melee is kinda counter-productive now. No matter how fast you hit, you still get a hit delay so in the end you can’t do any much faster than 2.5 - 3 Double Punch per second (keep in mind each Double Punch is only 100% unless you plan to spend 100,000 attribute points to make that 100% into 160%). Because of that, Attack Speed for Auto Attacks become redundant at some point.

Investing in DEX from equipment and class build stat allocation is enough to get decent DEX to spam Double Punch. Double Punch also does not offer much damage in the equation of damage for Auto Attack builds compared to Chaplains where the huge bulk of Auto Attack damage comes from, and other classes have more worth in such builds compared to a minor increase in Auto Attack damage (not like its hard to cap Visible Talent without Double Punch anyways). Basically, Double Punch is a dead skill that’s worth 0 or only 1 point max, or if you lack DEX from class build stat allocation and still want to Double Punch (lel).

The bulk of Monk’s damage now comes from Monk’s other skills like Palm Strike, Hand Knife and Energy Blast. Double Punch is held back by too many things (Attack Speed capped by hit delay, lack of damage, essentially just an auto attack reskin, probably won’t use Double Punch a lot since you have more skills to spam, including 11+ seconds of charging and channeling Energy Blast etc), and is not the same skill it once was. Leave it at 0 or 1.

They’re not too bad. One of the problems with Monk is that it’s dependent on attack speed. Outside Korea, the server delay means there’s a softcap on how much you can have before it’s just irrelevant. It seems like IMC tried to compensate for that by making the skills hit harder and adding overheats so you don’t have to be reliant on Double Punching at light speed to keep your DPS up.

All that being said, the damage is still a little lackluster without some sort of outside buff. In my case, I use Velnia cards since the PD/Druid combo means I always have a means of poisoning an enemy on deck to activate the extra 30% damage.

Did some testing in the past couple of days and you dont see me complaining about it, having fun failing and trying again like any other person that came back for the RE:Build.

If you cant handle it, use another character, most people have at least 2 or 3 characters.

Magic seems to be doing OK so far, if you are impatient and cant wait until they fix physical dmg, go that route.

Don’t put points in double Punch, Iron Skin or, Energy Blast as a default.

If you’re putting points into any of those skills it is for a specific reason.
E.G. because you are doing the Divine Stigma combo so you pick up Eblast or want another Knockback.

You are playing a defensive Paladin and want extra mitigation so you grab Iron Skin.

You have Chaplain for some reason so you grab some double punch.

Other then that Max out the other skills and of the 4 points remaining you can put into Double Punch/Eblast or both… Double Punch’s “value” will just be occasional AA filler.

Double Punch is basically in the same spot as Sadhu’s OoB attack, more or less. ASPD in general is a poor stat in Itos.

^^This. This right here^^

Now double punch should work just as an autoattack filler through your line of Monk Skills. It won’t be primary attack anymore. The skills are actually a very fun gameplay, but I hope they implement some attritbutes so the monster don’t get knocked down, it is really annoying.

Chaplain + Inquisitor is kind of absurd tbh. You can build up paracletus time by hitting inquisitor’s wheel regardless of whether or not your’e attacking enemies. It really benefits from some auto attack synergy in the final slot, and the only real options here are Druid or Monk.

Now, druid offers hybrid damage, healing, crit damage and demiwolf form bonuses, which are pretty significant. Monk on the other hand offers pure physical damage filler and armor penetration courtesy of the two-handed mastery, and more physical attacks to use if you’re trying to stack up paracletus time using the hold-over trick. It also has energy blast, which has synergy with Chaplain’s Deploy Capella (though it’s questionable to use this still)

So really, what’s better? Druid or Monk? I think it’s a matter of preference. I’ve tested both and in spite of all the complaining, Monk felt -really- good on a chaplain build. Druid seemed to be a little better but I feel they’re fairly interchangeable.

Is Double Punch affected by Aspergillum? If so, Chap/Monk sounds like a perfect combination.

Double Punch is affected by all Auto-Attack buffs, so yes its affected by Aspergillum. With that said, Double Punch in Re:Build is a fake multi-hit for some reason, so Double Punch only procs 1 Aspergillum per Double Punch.

After some testing, IMO the benefits from using Monk with Chaplain is:

1. Double Punch still has its high AoE attack ratio thing going so it still hits a lot of mobs within its range (easily fixed with Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel, Inquisitor cooldown reset attribute allows it to be up all the time )

2. Auto-Attacks with 2h-Mace is slower than 1h-Mace for some reason in Re:Build, Double Punch allows transforming any Auto-Attack into an Auto-Attack that hits as fast as normal Auto-Attacks, including 2h-Maces (funny part is, in the end, Auto-Attacking with dagger without any buffs, is faster than Auto-Attacking normally with Double Punch maxed out, making dagger Auto-Attack the better Auto-Attack in terms of proccing buffs)

3. Double Punch allows the enhancing of Auto-Attacks (with that said, the amount in proportion to the overall damage of Auto Attacks is not worth at all to waste a class slot over. Also, 100 000 attribute points to max Double Punch Enhance aka 60% skill factor lel)

Double Punch has 2 delays to worry about compared to other Auto-Attacks, one being the hit delay of physical Auto-Attacks hitting anything, and the other being Double Punch’s innate skill delay (0.05 seconds, not sure if its still there after Re:Build, hard to time and check 0.05 seconds). TBH if Double Punch procs 2 lines of Auto-Attack buffs, and isn’t affected by hit delay, I can see Chaplain-Monk being a thing, but the role Monk has in the Auto-Attack equation is rather minimal at best, and is better off taking another class.

Then again, play what you feel is fun. In the end, fun is what makes a person stick with a game.

Yeah, but druid demi wolf scratches are also affected by aspergillum and also hit twice, same as Double Punch. Thing is, Double Punch has an attribute whereas demiwolf does not, and benefits mostly from the innate 10% damage increase from wolf form and the crit rate and such. With attributes, Double punch might be stronger.

It’s very easy to say ‘on you’re only taking monk for double punch so it’s not worth it’ but Chaplain is all about auto attack synergy and there are literally only 3 viable class choices to take here if you want to improve your auto attacks for Paracletus time against an Inquisitor’s wheel. Druid, Monk or Priest. Sadhu doesn’t work, I already tried it.

Monk also provides armor penetration, bleed and additional strike damage and physical skills to rotate while you’re stacking Paracletus and don’t want to auto-attack anything. It’s not like it’s completely useless. I really don’t get why people seem to think Monk and Sadhu are so terrible.

Both Druid Auto-Attack and Double Punch only procs 1 hit of Aspergillum. Thing is, the bulk of Chaplain’s Auto-Attack damage largely comes from Aspergillum, and Demi Lycan buffs both the physical Auto-Attack and Aspergillum while Double Punch attribute only affects Double Punch damage alone. In the overall picture, Demi Lycan is probably stronger at zero attribute point cost, and affects all damage skills, not just Double Punch.

IMO there’s more than 3 class choices that are viable to help out. For example:

• Zealot is probably my recommended pick, gives a huge damage boost that affects both the physical and magic portion of Auto-Attacks, Blind Faith procced by Auto-Attack is counted into Visible Talent damage (easier to cap out Visible Talent damage), Invulnerable allows saving points from Chaplain Paracletus Time (could just go Gazing Golem cards instead) to put it into Deploy Capella, Immolation gives additional fire property damage for Auto-Attacks, and Fanatic Illusion/Emphatic Trust for fire-and-forget damage.

• Oracle is just great in Re:Build to give damage boost via Prophecy, damage mitigation skills, Death Sentence to boost damage.

• Krivis has fire property damage from Aukuras, Zalciai for party damage support, Melstis if you need buff extending, and Divine Stigma damage support.

In essence, Chaplain is more of a Magic class using Physical Auto-Attacks to proc its damage, and the bulk of the damage comes from Magic Attack.

While Monk provides block penetration, bleed, strike damage and physical skills, the block penetration is too little to matter (unless you’re talking about Palm Strike Hand Knife armor ignore, 7.5% is unnoticeable in damage), bleed damage is not worth talking about in terms of damage (is more about the SP drain), additional strike damage (single target) only affects the physical portion of Auto-Attacks AKA Double Punch and does not affect Aspergillum where the bulk of the damage lies, and those physical skills are a waste of slots assuming Inquisitor is taken (cooldown reset, and Chaplain Auto-Attack is sufficient bossing damage).

Monk is probably only half-decent at best, but the problem is that the other options in the Cleric tree are just that much better and has more synergy outside their respective classes, thus the opinion that Monk is terrible.

Sounds like when I tried Quicken + Assassin speed buff maxed and it made no speed change using those together. Hasisas past 1 didn’t even feel too worth it.

This is the most active and current thread about monks, so it’s why I’m posing my thoughts here. I’m seeing lots of recommendations of using Zealot and Krivis with Monk. I personally haven’t been…crazy about those 2 classes. Krivis is another 45 levels of buffing with little active skills, and Zealot is very sacrificial, and creepy LOL. I went priest 3 last time, so I should be used to another 45 levels of a class that would buff the crap out of my character with little to no attacks. But it seems like these 2 classes are how I’d get the most damage out of the main class that I WANT Monk.

I like the Inquisitors skills though so I"m thinking Krivis, Monk, Inq. The Inq/Monk combos will make me happy :slight_smile: . Whats up with Aukuras though? Does it still heal?

Edit: I’m really not feeling Zealot, but it’s starting to sound more and more like I won’t have a choice.

If you want the best physical AoE you can get, Zealot’s the choice to make (Which sucks for people like you and me who aren’t really into it).

That being said, Monk should have some synergy with Inqui since Double Punch will let you hit Breaking Wheel faster. As for the 3rd class, Krivis is just kinda meh. The main reason to have it is for extending Zealot’s Fanatic Illusion and Fanaticism via Melstis. If you decide to go Inqui instead, maybe consider Oracle. The Monk combos can be draining on your blue bar so having Arcane Energy to refill would be nice. Then, of course, there’s Death Sentence for the OP debuff.

IMC hates this class that’s what happened.