Tree of Savior Forum

Mac OS X/Linux clients

I did a quick search and could not find a topic about this. Is it on the roadmap? How can the community contribute to make this happen?

4 Likes

Not sure if they will add a version for those 2 OS (imo they should add), but for now i think they got main concerns like bugs and the likes, you can try make the game run on Wine (linux) im not sure if theres a virtualization software capable enough of run it on Mac, but if you got one of the new generations of Mac PC/Laptop you could dual boot with windows.

If you want to play games why did you buy a mac/linux?

Because no one is obligated to stay on the same OS? Really? You ask that kind of stuff in 2015? The only reason im not on Linux is because some of my software (not games) dont work on Linux nor have support on Wine, otherwise i would say goodbye to M$, but i do recognize they did one hell of a job on Windows 10, never saw my laptop run many stuff (4 heavy games running + FL11 + World + excel + Windows Shop + photoshop + dreaweaver + fireworks + firefox (6 flash player tabs + 3 java tabs) and my memory never passed 53% of use, too bad the processor didnt copped with that many programs, one game frozen due processor load.

4 Likes

Most people buy Mac/Linux for professional purposes and sometimes it’s easier for them to play on the machine they’re already using instead of buying a PC and some people just enjoy Mac/Linux.

If you want a machine exclusively for games there are no reason (unless you enjoy other systems) to not use windows tho.

@Topic It’s confirmed that the game only runs on PC? If it’s currently not possible to run the game on Mac/Linux and IMC intends to make it possible, it’s prolly gonna happen after the game is out, they have too much on their hands right now and unless a secondary team is working on this i can’t see how they’ll be able to do it anytime soon.

2 Likes

I dont see any problem on porting this to other OS, this game dont require that much of the machine (except the video card wich many who play, independent of OS do have a good GPU), but like i said before, IMC have bigger concerns right now, i might be wrong but i think at the start of the beta someone said it worked on Wine (i might be confusing with other game on beta i was participating tho), if someone can at least try to make the game run till the login screen i think its already a good thing, now just wait next beta and see if it run fine since it uses DX9.

They opted to use directX, this makes a linux/macOS client next to impossible. They are not going to write an openGL version extra for us, so our only chance is to see if it runs on wine. That, or dualboot windows.

Honestly, the only way to make tree of savior compatible with MacOS is to create a wine skin (a virtual machine wrapper of Windows opened in Mac) but this takes a lot of work and a seasoned developer would have to create this if they really want ToS in Mac.

You’re just way better off boot camping Windows or if your mac can handle VMing parallels.

I’ve used BootCamp on my Macbook to play ToS Beta and it runs smoothly. :sunflower: It would be nice to have a client for the Mac side, but it’s not impossible to access ToS if you utilize BootCamp.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately most if not all of the Korean developers dont care much about that, i dont know how their market on computers work, i mean, if all of their machines use windows or they dont care about anything else on that line, different from western devs, some do make stuff for all 3 main OS.

And yet we still have games that are exclusive to Playstation, XBox, or Nintendo systems. Funny, huh?

1 Like

Go figure the mentality of ppl, still, in the end, they make some sort of port, half-assed or not, they still make lol.

Well, if they chose directx, no Unix versions for us, going to Bootcamp/Parallels this one, thank you all for your explanations.

I wouldn’t do so in beta though. For the obvious reason of not knowing if what you’re reporting is a game bug, or a wine/VM quirk.

Not that hard to pinpoint tho, if only Wine users got that then its on wine’s end.

Maybe, but you’d have to reproduce that on a non-wine installation on your machine to find out. Might as well just run in natively then.

i also have a mac. my parents bought it for me
was I suppose to say I don’t want it cause I can’t play on it?
I don’t really want to run boot camp because it will make my computer run slow, it’s a laptop not a gaming device but no I don’t have money to buy a gaming pc
still I hope I will be able to play this game on my mac latop and not have to wait 2 years to afford a new computer

From what I’m reading, bootcamp is essentially a wizard that helps you install windows as a separate OS. Which means it won’t run any slower because only one OS is active at a time. I don’t know where you get the “running slower” thing from.

I’m not very good at technical stuff, but what I understand is that, what I would have to do is basically install both windows and IOS and on my laptop and the free space on my laptop is limited. So I can buy an external hardrive and split in between windows and IOS so that it copies everything I use in Windows on one partition and everything I use in IOS in the other partition. So even tho they don’t run in the same time they both occupy memory space, thus making my laptop run slower.
I know that is possible to run it like this, but I don’t want to run it with low fps and lags if possible, so a mac client will help a lot.

You got it wrong there, both OS work separated, indeed you will use more disk space, but when you run Windows on a Mac its like a normal PC, it will run the same way theMacOS does, if theres any drawn back im not sure of any tho, but its your choice, we dont know what future reserve, if IMC decide to port to other OSes that would be nice.

Btw what is the size of your hard disk?.