Tree of Savior Forum

Let us discuss the "Fan Art Event"

Yeah, you’re right about the “Popularity Contest”, i’ve seen too many of this ■■■■

2 Likes

In a previous contest you also had that size limitation and you STILL let somebody make it into top 10 that did not have that size… You ignore your own rules right there

5 Likes

Ya’ll’re petty af.

@Staff_Yuri has done an excellent job explaining how they make their selections and why, and has reiterated several times that winners are not necessarily the ones who spent the most time and effort, who are the most technically advanced, or the most original or whatever. The nature of an artistic contest is subjective and that is never going to change. They decided on winners, and that doesn’t mean the other art was bad. It just means those are the ones they liked, and that makes perfect sense whether anyone wants to accept that fact or not.

There are too many responses for me to go through all of them, so has anyone yet suggested having a forum poll for players to give their own opinions on their favorites? This obviously wouldn’t be used as the end-all-be-all voting, but it could at least be a determining factor in deciding the winner. That way, if players feel particularly strongly about any one piece, the judges can consider that. Or you could have a “top 3 players’ choice” section and then decided 7 of your own. That way the players have their hand in deciding some of the winners.

2 Likes

woah … a lot of decent opinion and suggestion here.
I do strongly agreed that : let the “pro-artist” or “artist-team” (of ToS) judge those fan-arts.
I do not agreed that competitors are able to use dicut-techniques that much… . It’s not creative , it’s just … copying…( and recomposition huh ?)

damm… dealing with such many waves of comments.
good work @STAFF_Yuri ! keep doing.
and uh… have fun! love u bro .kappa :laughing:

2 Likes

I was trying to read everything on this thread before giving my suggestion but I got lazy, so pardon me if this was already mentioned by someone:

You could split the winners into three categories: Community’s Pick, Staff’s Pick and Artists’ Pick (which would be the previous fanart fest winners, like someone already suggested). You could have, let’s say, 4 winners for each category. I’m not sure how the voting proccess for each category would work, though. I just feel like this way would be more fair since there would be many “judges” involved and less people would complain about the contest being rigged.

4 Likes

Hi WhiteKnight :slight_smile: You actually didn’t read anything :x ?
-> It is not a contest
-> They didn’t choose the winners so it doesn’t matter which artworks they liked
-> So no it doesn’t make perfect sense

Love

1 Like

When you think IMC can’t impress you again with bad decisions they always deliver.

Impress people with your bad decisions
Motivate people to stop playing your game
Connect people against you

Congratulations IMC you played yourself.

5 Likes

@Mirie I think the suggestion of categories and winners in each categories is the best idea yet. It takes on the suggestion of having previous winners judge, staff judge, and a whole community being able to judge! That would also help solve the problem of only one style being picked and only popular artist with social media to be picked.

Also @Hilsun While they have just now explained how they make selections, and im glad they did, on the fan art fest page with info they didn’t explain then what the picks were based on. Only that is should be related to all things Valentines day and T rated. So I don’t think everyone is being petty. I think the choices being random is more of the general concern.You are correct that art is subjective and anyone is going to be biased in their choices.

This isn’t my first art contest either. Most art contest say that choice will be based on quality/effort and theme. Sometimes there is also picks on funniest or most inventive. So I think many would have assumed that to be the case since it’s a normal requirement.

It just sounds like they just picked random ones based on their replies and I feel bad for all the artist that didn’t know that. It could have saved many time they don’t have.

7 Likes

It’s sad that you can easily divide this thread by the people that trully want to see things improve and assholes that are only here to laugh and throw ■■■■ at others…

@LunarRabbit I love your idea of the rotation…

as for the voting, you know how unreliable this community is and I think that is the main concern of staff…

5 Likes

AGREE! that’s why I had no problems on the winners they selected even previous one…
Suddenly more submission and then more ppl butthurt that they didn’t win… how egoistic… Next time Im voting on passionate, good work, and not those with mean attitude who only care about winning for themselves.

3 Likes

Keeping my personal feelings outside this (because I didn’t win any price obviously), I’ll try to explain my only idea to IMPROVE the FANART FESTIVAL:

Divide the winners in 3 categories. 3 or 4 winners in each category (wich keeps the total amount of pieces around 10). And I suggest this because in first place, it will explain itself the reason why the winners are chosen. And second, it is a fact FOR ME that between some pieces are a lot of hours of work,I don’t want to use the word effort, because we will never know how much takes to everyone to post their works here. But not only that, the styles (realistics, anime, chibi, minimalist, those wallpaperlike style, 3D, and a lot more) are so different from each other, that really confuse me and give me uncertanty about all the “in the middle” works wich can also be in the first place.

To finnish this I’ll name the 3 categories I thought about:(the names are just a guide)
-Realistic: wich can include those drawings with more realistic characters, full backgrounds, etc.
-Minimalist or Chibi: those chibi representations or even that kind of pixel art could fit perfecly in this section. The majority of the chibi works I saw were focused on the characters and not in the background. For me the background gives composition and shape to a full artwork. And again it takes much more hours to do that.
-Wallpaper: there are a lot of works that doesn’t have characters explicitly. With background patterns or big letters wich are perfectly valid (just like the winner with the chocolate box of hanaming or even the “I’m not stalking” could be here)

I hope I have explained myself, I’m still learning english, but first of all because I really want to help to improve the FANART FESTIVAL and the relationship between the community of this game that I like so much.

Peace

IGN: TheRollingStone (Kazu)

1 Like

It is NOT a contest.

make a categories for winner will only make it sounds more ‘contest-like’ festival imo.

I agreed that finding more idea to makes this FESTIVAL better is a good thing to do, but my suggestion is to ‘prevent’ people from taking this as a contest ( since i used to be one ) so there would be no more future problem like this one. going full RNG might be the way but there will still be people complain about it.

eventho RNG might sounds bad ( nobody likes RNG ) but I think it is quite a good solution here, it has thrills from lottery thingy the FESTIVAL should have.

Im going to submit a blank white screen everytime.

1 Like

that wouldn’t work, staffs have to pick the qualified piece into random pool first anyway kappa.

Fine ill upgrade my effort stickmen it is. This is the limit of my artistic capabilities.

2 Likes

as you stated, voting will only make things worst…

rotating is a neet idea I would say. more people gets the hat, less people bitching. eventho I highly doubt real artist will join next time, this should encourage MORE PLAYER to join, not something exclusively made for people who can draw, which highly suits the main imagery of a festival.

then you’d have to get pass my colored-stickman first.

1 Like

I take 3 artist submitting for their love of art, than 1k souless prize seekers…

great artist already use the fan art section to express themselves for free and cause they love it…