Tree of Savior Forum

Let us discuss the "Fan Art Event"

No don’t call it off! I don’t know why but the previous art contest didn’t seem to be a much of a problem. It’s just this one valentine’s day event. Maybe a time of emotional peak ;D This event made me get to know artists beautiful works!

correction: festival

Okay, you made yourself clear enough. there’s no point for this ENTIRE topic we discuss anymore. just close it already.

Wait it’s random and not based on merit…?

Hall of Fame is usually used to commemorate the top prize winners, and the list will always be present for people to check.

My idea for the category is so that people will not cry injustice when they see work of different mediums competing with each other. In the art industry, there are a lot of different mediums (eg, painting vs sculpture), and people submit their artwork accordingly. :smiley:

3 Likes

I disagree, I have read some great ideas and yuri has responded to all questions or most of them as best as can…

this thread deserves to stay open so more people with actual ideas and improvements can come and make themselves be read and prob make a difference…

1 Like

they said they’ve had an internal vote
they said it is entirely random
vote? random?
they contradict themself real hard

internal vote
aka staff_yuri just picks his faves

1 Like

So, Its like

1. checking for Problematic, Debateable one
  2. Nomination process - pick as many pics possible.
  3. Random. pick ±10
1 Like

And your opinion is based on…?

1 Like

Man, there’s no need for a restructuring of the event then. It’s a festival of artworks. For appreciation, and community interaction.

We were just arguing the whole time cause some kid was butthurt about the results of the Festival.

6 Likes

Based on the fact that you are the only staff member who seems to be working on this event, I don’t see any other staff members chiming in

It feels like a lottery to me

accurate enough xD

it’s more about trying to prevent more butt-hurts than anything else…

@STAFF_Max @xEarlx misses you…

totally not me , you can continue drinking coffee or post…

1 Like

Ho…“FESTIVAL” that used “RULES”(or LUCK?) to determine the “WINNER”

14 Likes

Soooo ppl who submitted “something” getting recognition, fame, and goodies for being Lucky???

Yay, the worst answer i expected

1 Like

LOL

/20charsmyfckingass

yes, it was just a misunderstanding on my part.

good thing is staff already made it clear that this is totally random. that should prevent people from going all-in and get upset because they thought it was a contest ( and not a festival ) next time.

tbh there need not to be further improvement if this is a random-fes. the only thing left is to prevent people from misunderstanding ( which is a cause of this ruckus )

2 Likes

Since we don’t want to compare the other people’s work. As long as it did put something, some care. not like paint board scratch twice kinda thing. We wanted to see many pieces. That is why the prizes are not so big too.

1 Like

shhhh. they’ll just hand-pick one or two quality art and call it a day.

I’d like to first commend you for your efforts in trying to communicate with your community even when the said community is difficult to reason with.

The Festival, on hindsight is a good idea to encourage the community to participate while promoting the game to the existing community and their friends( who might see the artwork on facebook or other media). It also encourage the more artsy players to show off their skills by giving them the chance to compete.

The only problem I seem to see from the general populace is that while it was a good idea, the community is not satisified with how the artworks were judged. Giving art critiques can always come down to biased opinions which always sparks arguments from community that supports the decision and those that don’t. Looking at the arguments from the perspective of those that don’t support the judge’s decisions on who wins the contest, I think the general argument is that some of the artwork feels it deserves more praise than others.

For easy comparison, let’s say you have 3 minute microwave Pizza and genuine Italian style Pizza made by 5 star chef like Gordon Ramsey. Naturally I feel that the latter would win the contest but unexpectedly the 3 minute dark horse microwave Pizza ends up being rewarded as Pizza of the year. I don’t mean to slander anyone’s work but given the amount of attention to details, time and effort put into creating a beautiful fan art, I personally feel as most other artist that the decisions to push their work aside with an excuse that it would make a poor Loading Screen is… quite frankly unpleasant to hear.

As I have not participated in the artwork contest I don’t know if IMC mentioned that it would be a requirement to simplify the fanart to make it as simplistic as possible and easy on the eyes for it to serve its intended purpose as a loading screen or not. The general opinions I’ve read so far seems to indicate that IMC did no specify that, this would be a deciding factor when the artworks would be judged. Perhaps it should have been noted in the judging criteria to avoid misunderstanding, and encourage the art community to keep things simpler.

I feel that if IMC staff could have been more clear with how the artworks would be judged, it would have saved some artists from pouring too much heart and soul into their artwork. Please try to understand from the perspective of your art community, especially from those that gave 200% effort into their work only to be ridiculed by IMC by being told that it looks too complicated for it to become a loading screen. You may stand by your opinion of stating that you do not have the right to judge which artist is better than others, yet by failing to acknowledge their efforts and passion presented on their artwork and choosing a much simpler design you’ve indirectly rubbed salt on their wounds. While it may not have been intended but from the perspective of these artist, they may lose heart and motivation to compete in further competitions.

My suggestion to you is one or the other.

State clearly what kind of artwork you wish to use as a loading screen material which will avoid further miscommunication between IMC and art community. Neither side is right or wrong and from my perspective it seems that everything is just a huge misunderstanding from both parties. But the general fault seems to lie with the initial miscommunication so please be clear on the criteria the Artists would be judged on.

The other suggestion is to change your criteria of judging artworks. I don’t know what kind of criteria IMC has since it hasn’t been stated but perhaps now that we know we have very capable artists among our community it’s time for IMC to consider the option of raising the standards. Perhaps you can adopt a new strategy of having different category winners. One for the arts category and the other for loading screen category. Also consider negotiating with the team responsible for the events to give out more prizes to correspond with the idea of placing more winners for different categories. There are many different ways to tackle this rather than calling it off especially when there are many talents among your community.

15 Likes