Tree of Savior Forum

Is Map Viewer Addon allowed?

As the title says, I’d truly like to know if the Map Viewer Addon is allowed. I know it is an old subject, but I’ve read a few threads about addons and I noticed they are considered as third party programs. Even so, I see a few of them are allowed such as EXP Viewer Addon, but there is nothing about this Map Viewer Addon.

I’m asking this because I tried to complete some maps, yet many of them are around 97.6%. I know some people are using it aswell, but I’m just confused and a bit afraid. I’d like to know the answer before downloading anything. I don’t want to break any rule and get banned or so…

So please, could you tell me if Map Viewer Addon is allowed and safe?
Thank you very much for your time!

Tons of people use it and it’s been around for a long time and nobody has been banned for it. At one point IMC said some addons were okay but I don’t recall if this was one of them - but it’s bundled with things like EXP viewer which they said are alright.

If they suddenly decide to ban everyone using map viewer the game will be dead anyway so it’s no loss if you’re banned along with them.

2 Likes

I use the map viewer add-on. Frankly it’s almost impossible to 100% some maps without it, I literally can’t see the areas that I missed. I’d rather take a ban than stop using this mod lol

7 Likes

I always 100% maps without using it by always hugging the walls when I first explore a map.

Also IMC didn’t actually state which add-ons are legal in particular, they only said they will tolerate them as long as they don’t give you a clear advantage over other players. Basically all that’s just visual hints should be fine.

4 Likes

map viewer doesnt even give advantage in gameplay so its ok to use it. advantage as in being above of others in terms of pve and pvp

1 Like

Ok, thank you everyone! :blush:

Edit: After sending a ticket to the support, I’ve been informed that it is not allowed… I’m kind of sad, but I won’t use it anyway.

1 Like

I can confirm the Excrulon Add-on was the only Add-on to ever be approved by staff. Its Okay!

Credits to Excrulon

Edit: After sending a ticket to the support, I’ve been informed that
it is not allowed… I’m kind of sad, but I won’t use it anyway.

That’s interesting. Now I can report every second player I meet!

well, the thing is… what -exactly- did you ask them… and what -exactly- did they respond?

because if you asked the same question you asked -here-, then they’ll just read “3rd party software” and of course they’ll say no.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

yea, this has generally been the official “unofficial stance” in the past.
like i said previously… it’s very much a question of -exactly- what was asked/answered.

“is this 3rd party thing allowed” “Hell no!”

“is this basic addon allowed” “sure unless it causes problems”

“is this 3rd party basic addon allowed?” …well now it gets into splitting hairs. do they read “3rd party” and stomp it dead before looking at anything else? do they read “basic addon” before they read 3rd party? does the awkward english of the question combine with the awkward english of the answer to make them both completely unrelated to what the asker actually wanted to know about? etc…

they’ve already had official responses saying that “reasonable” addons ARE allowed.

it boiled down to "as long as it’s not too intrusive, then we don’t mind."
of course, that’s still really vague and leaves a lot to be desired… but it’s probably the best we’ll ever get .

1 Like

but then people would have a fit at IMC posting official policy threads, and the thread would get spammed with bot reports, and requests for class reset, and 200 people all asking if the same addon is included in the allowed list, and so on.

i’ve been called stupid by people i’ve been a lot more impressed by.

and tell me i’m not right. tell me that -isn’t- what would happen to any “official policy” thread that gets posted.

not to mention all the people who would simply not read it, and keep asking anyway.
i mean half the people posting here seem to be unable to spot the “News” section of the website, or unable to use the search function.

This is the reply you wanted to see:

In case they did not fully understand what I asked, they could have checked the link of that thread. Also I know my English is not awesome, but I think the question is understandable.

But since addons are seen as third party programs, guess the reply is more than sufficient. I shouldn’t complain, heh :smile: I’m glad they answered to me so fast.

1 Like

"We understand that you would like to use third party program or addons."
so clearly they did NOT understand what you were asking. and they don’t have time to check.

they also did not explicitly say it was forbidden, or that you -will- get banned for it, only that you -might-.

they have had official staff statements in the forums explaining that script addons, such as those made by excrulon, are ok as long as they are non-intrusive and are not doing anything that is otherwise not allowed. (my words; go find/read the statements yourself if you want something more specific.)

until they take @Dissonance 's method, and post a public, stickied thread that explicitly states that addons are not allowed, then addons are going to be a part of the game. (hell i’m sure that addons will still be a thing -after- that post too, unless they completely remove anything that addon writers can hook onto to access the game functions.)

1 Like