Tree of Savior Forum

I need some opinions on this battle cleric build I've been working on

To get a better idea of the setup for my cleric build, I’ll first explain that it is basically like my melee thaumaturge build. To sum that up, you just bash enemies around with a toy hammer and proc explosions with bonus attacks from the cafrisun set and your skill hits.

This creates a ton of burst damage within a short time frame as with all of your AOE skills and melee attacks, the toy hammer’s explosion can proc 1k at base damage, 2k on crit, and it even scales off strength. An explanation of that is in more depth here:
[Hydra’s] Explosive Melee Thaumaturge Guide

Anyhow, now onto the builds. I’m hoping some iOBT and cleric experienced people can give me a bit of insight on these builds as I never got a chance to test out this kind of build during iCBT2. And, finding that the Chaplain class is out, I added it in since its skills sound like they would synergize extremely well with melee.

There are two versions, and there’s nothing different between them some class swaps. I did this because I wasn’t sure how well I would do with the classes I picked early game for faster game progression.

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/h0vtkyzoft/
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/w1p48th27s/
I personally favor #2 since I think that the extra melee benefit buffs from having R2 cleric earlier than R2 krivis will benefit me more early game; especially because I will most likely not be building into INT for zaibas extra damage. I’m not really how well that scales with INT anyway.

Now with that said, here are some concerns and questions of mine about things in this build:
Questions
1 - How is chaplain unlocked?
2 - Does the chaplain’s magnus exorcismus work like the pyromancer’s fire pillar?
3 - Does R3 cleric’s exorcise work like the pyromancer’s flame ground?
4 - Is it even worth putting one point into mass heal if I’m not going to be having any INT?
5 - How well does the damage scaling on toy hammer scale with STR?

Concerns
1 - Late game, as in levels 220-280 the toy hammer damage will most likely fall off as higher tier maces will be able to output more dps and will offer more benefits since they give great elemental damage bonuses for cafrisun to take advantage of.
2 - Having cafrisun late game will make me very squishy but I can heal and safe zone my way out of a lot of damage though.
3 - SP starvation.

All that’s left of this thread now is how I’m going to put my stats in. Here are a few ideas on how I’m planning on doing that:
*2:1 DEX:STR.
*2:1:1/2 DEX:STR:CON (Ex: 200DEX, 100STR, 50CON).
*150 base DEX and the rest into STR.

I kind of lean toward the 150 base DEX and the rest into STR as in iCBT2 I heard that 150 is all you really need for decent crit rate. I mainly just need some crit for mainly explosion crits since those can do up to 2k or even more with the added STR bonus.

Also, I was tempted to somehow work a monk into this build as they’re great for soloing from what I’ve seen and they have that armor breaking debuff. Sadly, I found that it wouldn’t synergize as well with toy hammer procs and I felt that having krivis’s crit buff and daimyo were almost irreplaceable utility. And you can’t forget that zaibas is basically an instant 3k damage at least with toy hammer.

Thanks for reading this if you bothered to. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism from people who have tried similar builds or just play in the korean version of ToS. :nerd:

You would need Priest3 to get to the hidden requirement for Chaplain. That would seem to put a wrench in both builds. :c

Might take a peek at Chaplain

I briefly skimmed through your post and straight into your questions.

1 - You need Priest C3 first to unlock Chaplain quest. So you need to fix your class path.

2 - Not sure myself. But all i heard it is crap.

3 - Not sure

4 - Mass Heal you either get it maxed level 10 or dont get it at all.

5 - Not sure

Personal note:
I think full INT or SPR or abit of both would suit better as Aspergillum/zaibas/other int skills scales off INT and SPR for stone skin blocks. (and maybe abit of con too?)

DEX seems a fun idea, all those crits and dodge. But crit only affects your first line of attack because other buffs dont crit, including magic damage. Also if you have a high dodge, might be harder for you to get Last Rites damage bonus below 50% HP (assuming u get the attribute maxed)

chaplain basic attacking actual scales best with int. the splash attack from aspergilium does INT+SPR+base+MATK+elements damage.

SPR focused builds are solid too, but they’re more support oriented (vs INT being more personal DPS)

most of the damage you’ll be doing can’t crit, so dex builds are pretty weak.
toy hammer means sacrificing a chunk of both atk and matk - which both contribute to your buffed attack damage. I suspect it’ll get pretty quickly outscaled.

krivis+plauge doc is probably the ideal choice for the last two ranks as an aggressive chaplain. without cleric2, mass heal defiantly needs to be maxed, otherwise your healing will just not be enough.

exorsim and magnus and both basically garbage. too weak and too hard to use, respectively.

there’s a whole chaplain megathread you might want to look over, it’s got a ton more info.

I see… so I’ll have to rearrange the order so that I achieve R3 cleric before chaplain.

On the matter of changing up the stats, now that I think about it, going INT would probably be more beneficial. Damage from the toy hammer would still do a lot as the explosion procs off of all your skill hits plus auto attacks. And I’ll be hitting about 4 times in one attack with all of the buffs on me, even more with other elemental buffs from other classes added. That’s about an explosion every 3 attacks and the explosion’s damage is roughly 1k damage at base. It’s twice that on crit. I tested out the toy hammer’s damage for late game in iCBT and it didn’t fall off too hard (and I was using wizard auto attacks). Like I said in the post though, it most likely will past 220 which is no biggie.

So with that said, for stats should I go just pure INT, a mix of INT and DEX, or INT, SPR, and DEX?

Also, I would like to add that there’s a few points why I added in the DEX. Having dodge would help with survivability when meleeing mobs since cafrisun is very low level armor. Not only that but the DEX helps with crits for the explosion as well but that’s not too important. I know that some magic and the additional elemental hits added by cafrisun can’t crit so really those are the only two points justifying getting any DEX.

I’ll go check out the megathread on chaplain and its skills. If exorcism and magnus are really too hard to use, I may change out some classes. But that aspergillum is what I mainly want. I’m not really sure how I feel about plague doctor. It sounds kind of cool but it doesn’t sound as good as chaplain to me. XD

Instead of Dex, invest abit on SPR and some CON you’ll be fine with survivability bc of StoneSkin and all your heals.
Always Max Mass Heal imo, it’s a great skill, I used it all the time.

OK I’ll take note of that. But what would the stat ratios be and what skills would I have to take points off for level 10 mass heal and level 1 stone skin? Or should stone skin be level 5?

Edit:

I changed some skills around. I got rid of magnus and exorcism and dumped the points into the other skills. I took off 5 points from blessing since there wasn’t much of a damaged increase difference for those last 5 points. I swapped some other skills around so now mass heal is at level 10. I put one point into monstrance too since deploy capella affects it and I read somewhere the DEX increase for allies is a flat rate and not affected by skill level.

Cool build, I like battle clerics a lot. But you keep saying Cleric instead of Priest by mistake. Could be confusing.
To answer your questions:

1. You must be C3 Priest and then do the Class Change quest, nothing crazy
    2/3. No, not like flame pillar. They put down cells, when a monster walks over them, the cell is used up and the monster is “debuffed” and begins taking damage. Could use some changes to be useful in PvE.
  2. Max mass heal please. You get higher % max heal and base heal. Int doesn’t matter so much.
  3. I don’t know if Toy Hammer is worth it without an ASPD steroid. STR scales as normal, not sure details of explosion.
    Your SP will be completely fine late game, you’ll be super squishy but I have some suggestions for that later. Toy hammer will fall off.

My critiques:
Why are you taking Krivis? Daino and Zalciai can both be cast using scrolls, so no problem there. It seems like you are going STR so Zaibas will be so weak late game that you’d be better off basic attacking.
Cleric C2 would be really nice for a battle cleric because you’ll be taking a lot of damage and need the heals and GREATLY IMPROVED safety wall. Not to mention the utility of Divine Might and the escape ability of Fade when things get tough.
Plague Doctor is one of the best classes in the game and will make you immune to status effects, which is important when you are bashing away on the front lines. Healing factor also helps the squishiness. You could consider something like this build:

If you want monk, it could also fit on the build above instead of Cleric C2 and Plague Doctor, but it wouldn’t be quite as strong of a build.

Please stop implying [aspergillum] scales better with INT, it doesn’t. Both INT and SPR have 100% damages scaling. You simply are able to get more INT than SPR due to +10% more INT per rank.

@Ophaq If you want chaplain asap you are forced into clerci > priest > priest > priest > chaplain > ??? > ???

Regarding stats.
Chaplain is unique in that it lets you invest in non STR stats to pump you auto’s because of [aspergillum]. Normally you would need STR because auto’s count your atk (weapon atk + STR) for damage. Because [aspergillum]'s damage is auto + [aspersion] the damage is weapon atk + STR + weapon matk + INT + [aspersion] skill damage + SPR. Each point adds 1 damage (all have the same scaling) but do note that because all classes get (10%) more STR and INT per rank after the 1st, you are able to get more STR and INT.

As a simple example:
At rank 2 with 10 points to allocate, I can have 11 STR or 11 INT or 10 SPR

Because of [last rites] working with [aspergillum], there are 2 sides when it comes to DEX. You can’t crit [aspergillum] but you can crit [last rites].

Basically, chaplains have the rare opportunity to not focus on STR for damage. If you choose not to go STR you won’t have the crit damage (1 per STR) that goes with it which does devalue DEX.

My choice would be to go SPR CON (mostly due to 3* maps being unforgiving to DEX builds). You should take that (3* maps) into consideration too.

Ahh I see I get it now. Also sorry for mixing up some terms I got mixed up while typing lol.

Anyhow I think I’ll go with something like this or the build a few posts above:

Stat-wise I may go 4:2:1 INT:SPR:CON. I didn’t entirely understand plague doctor’s skills until now and it sounds amazing lol.

Thanks guys for helping me out. :smiley:

Great build. I know you’re going Int, but I still really recommend Cleric C2 over Krivis C1 because you put down twice as many tiles with Heal at level 10, and Cleric C2 has a new attribute on Safety Wall that increases the block count by 20! Fade and Divine Might are great too. Either way I would take Deprotected Zone Level 1 for the synergy with slash/sword attacks. Daino scrolls will be really cheap if you need them. You won’t be luring with Aukuras much at high levels (you’re getting Krivis as C6). If you do take Krivis there, get Zalciai Level 3 for that +100 Crit attribute instead of Aukuras. Depending on how well Last Rites scales with Sacrament Level, you could get that to lvl 10 instead of max heal, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you take Cleric C2.

You could also check out The Chapel (general cleric discussion) because I see some info there you might be interested in:

Thanks. I’ve been lurking there today lol.

Hmm… just curious but what should I supplement for level 1 deprotected zone in this? And should I take it on R1 or R2 cleric? I was thinking taking 1 point out of safety zone since you get a ton of blocks at level 10, so 2 less blocks at level 9 safety zone won’t make a difference.

NVM. Editing failure.

For my chaplain I decided to roll with this:

And as an alternative I made this too:

*Cafrisun set.
*Toy hammer for lots of explosion procs.
*Arde/Karacha dagger.

How much time/resources would you to get this equipment?

And I guess there’s no point in making STR-based Cleric if it’s not Paladin/Monk-centric one, right?

Yeah pretty much. And arde/karacha dagger + toy hammer aren’t too hard to get if you’re dedicated enough to trying to get them. Toy hammer may take a bit longer though depending on the amount of people trying to kill the boss.