Tree of Savior Forum

I destroyed my Solmiki Cannon and it was liberating

+16 7 Potential left.
While farming in 340 HG last night there a silver anvil timed in my inventory thanks to the Fedi Mission, 2 days left, 48 hour left of temptation. I gave in, even after being interrupted twice by the mobs.
+15 was enough to tip the scale. I chewed through it’s potential with regular anvils and it bounced back to +15 at 1 potential after a devastating trip back from +12.
So I did it twice again. Rest in peace lil’ guy. Cannon-chan was only trans 3. You awakened twice outta the 5 times with Holy Property, and I hope you’re with the angels.

This system is not right at all, and even I was blessed with the chance to take it further. What tempts me every time is the fact that a potential system and paywall system for Diamond Anvils are basically chains, telling you that you’re limited through RNG. (oh and the silver anvil, burn those keppas they’re the devil) The fact that you’re governed by your enhancement and not your actual weapon is by far the worst I’ve seen in any game in terms of variety and variants. And I will always want to keep going further til it tells me to stop.

Recently someone made a +26 Wingshard spear, it’s amazing that even if he uses Diamond anvils that fail, then turns around and uses a normal anvil to continue. The man’s a god and he worked so hard for it, but sadly his weapon is going to be better than any higher leveled equipment around 19+ish? And you can ask anyone, it’s not easy nor will Diamond Anvils guarantee getting that high.

I would like to reinforce the argument that enhancement is not healthy, that Diamonds Anvils do not help the game especially since they’re not obtainable except through a paywall system. The cubes pay the server bills and that’s great but in terms of actual competition and character progression it has been devastating. Even if we have the fallback systems of Golden Anvils. They’re still a punishing mechanic due to it being nearly impossible to reach 40 with Golden Anvils alone, there’s not enough and never will be enough for a person to do that. While level 40 enhancement is ridiculous in itself.

I’d like to debate that game balance is shackled by enhancement and so many RNG based factors, but most of us do know that we are facing more than just “Enhancement” as an issue with our game. I do hope one day that IMC will make a more equal and casual system towards enhancement, I think it would attract a broader players base to the game and hopefully return some that we lost due to such a horrible feeling it creates. It will definitely help in the paving the path towards balancing and identifying what PvE and PvP is meant to be in this game.

Regardless I’m free from it and it’s the best feeling I’ve ever received from this game recently. Inb4 we try this again with the next set of gear. :distinguished: jk you’re never free not as long as there’s potential on your equipment.

P.S I’ve burnt more silver on a Masi spear buying Shining Golden Anvils then the entirety of this Miki Cannon, around 140ishmil+. I do not hold any grievances, it literally was “oh darn it” continuing to make tea, then followed by “Why does this terrible system continue to govern our game’s health in every aspect?”

I destroyed my Solmiki Cannon and it was liberating. I cannon believe it :satisfaction:

22 Likes

Enhancement system is definitely bad. Rip your cannon though. It will even get worse when the new transcendence patch hits because right now the standard for average player is about trans 5~7. When the patch hits the average will be t10 and you know what the difference will be? Enhancement which is a purely rng system.

Don’t get me wrong though, transcendence is a broken system but there is no pay wall or rng involved (unless you choose to). You can farm it out and you will be guaranteed rewarded unlike enhancement.

People quit over enhancement because people spend time farming up the item then it gets ruined by bad rng and hopefully IMC fixes it or revamp the system before velcoffer comes out (which they won’t) or there will be quite a bit of people rage quitting because of their +6. 0 pot velcoffer weapon.
Even a cap at +16 or 21 would be okay or a diminishing return starting at +11 or +16 and higher. Having a +26 or higher weapon is not okay considering how much damage is gained. This is coming from someone with a +26 solmiki rapier btw

6 Likes

:tired:

Yeah regardless if I managed to push the lil’ baby past 23 my opinion about enhancement will be the same. It’s just the absolute nail in the coffin for some. I’m still going to play regardless I have my musket honestly I was making a cannoneer for the dragon headed cannon and I’ll still aim for it in the future haha

If IMC wants to keep the game running in a healthy state, they really need to figure something out for this bull crap enhancement system.

If you put up a survey and ask how TOS players feel about the enhancement system, I’m sure more than 80% of them will think it’s punishing and p2w.

1 Like

We’re merely a bunch of noobs compared to Korean players, this is a korean game and this is our plague that we must face in every aspect of this game, sadly they will never change their minds because what applies to the korean market is slowly becoming the usual in our countries too.

Rest in peace sweet angel, may the gunpowder be with you, always

credits to Fenatte for the image

3 Likes

Sorry but I cannot agree with what you think about the enhancement system.

MMORPGs have always been like that, and it’s possibly the best way to add time walls to make players more motivated to try and win/lose. They cannot simply add 100% refine chances because that would break endgame content (everyone having 30+ weapons). If it were a 100% refine chance but with insane materials cost, that would be too demotivating for most people to aim for. I mean, it’s already pretty demotivating to do saalus everyday to get your weapon to trans 10 (heck, 290+ blessed gems?!).

Many games are actually much more punishing towards the high risk high reward mechanics of RNG. Games like Ragnarok and Lineage would break your item if the refinement failed. And of course there was much more pay to win in these games than there is in ToS. Black Desert is much worse with refine chances, and it’s a game about as recent as ToS. I’m not even going to mention games where you would lose everything from dying (Ultima Online, Tibia, Albion). ToS is super casual compared to those.

ToS is among the most hand-holding games with refinement mechanics. You get item potentials, warning you an enchantment can possibly break your weapon, you have golden anvils, still allowing you to reach a reasonable amount of refines even if you’re super unlucky, you have diamond anvils which allow you to make sure an item goes up really high if you invest enough, and still, if you attempt a normal refine at 0 potential, then well, you deserve whatever your destiny held for you.

1 Like

They aren’t comparing ToS to other games. Also diamond anvils are gated behind a paywall. What he’s talking about is how punishing the enhancement is with gear that you spent large amounts of time to get.

You end up spending time and silver. Just to watch it all go down the drain if rng isn’t good to you. This sometimes discourages players to even continue with the game.

5 Likes

Pretty sure a lot of people would disagree. Transcend is really a walk in the park that shouldn’t even be in this conversation. 290 gems is a lot but at least it’s a goal to reach and you can see your progress, and the game content allows you to get silver and buy them easily from other players. I’m sure a whole lot of people have enough to trans10 their weapon, but they never went for it because they never got the rng to pass through +8 0 potential.

Enhance on the other hand is purely rng and luck based. Rng is ok, but having nearly no cap on this and a linear growth on power is definitely problematic. Games like mabinogi break your weapon upon failure on stage 6 & 7 (7 is max) and lower rank failure reduces the rank by 1, but you only need to do this rng thing ONCE or twice instead of all the way from 5 to 40…

Imposing a cap on weapon enhancement makes the game much more fair and player friendly. Not everyone wants to farm Miki essence for literally weeks/months and then see it’s potential go from 14 to 1 and the weapon is still at +6. Just seeing players going through experience like this is heartbreaking, going thought this experience yourself is even worse.

5 Likes

OP is not even requesting for 100% success, just revise the current. The game currently has so many ways of enhancing your gear, which is ridiculous imo. There’s anvil enhancement, trans and awakening, two of them being on RNG side. Game is all about gear progression, whoever has the best gear wins.

But the system is broken. Sooooo

3 Likes

This is insane. Looks like you’ve been playing too many korean grinders.
There’s nothing more demotivating and demoralizing than the game randomly deciding to completely brick an item you spent time, silver and effort on.

Potential without a way to restore it and without a real limit to enhancement (+40 isn’t a real limit, it’s Kim making fun of us) is a stupid idea. And if that wasn’t enough, they made it so failing not only reduces the potential, bringing your weapon closer to bricking, but it also reduces your progress.

What the hell were they thinking. What kind of feeling were they trying to stir inside the players’ minds with such a stupid system. And no, it doesn’t matter what other garbage korean gacha/mobile “games” do, it’s still a dumb mechanic that shouldn’t exist.

Having a +16 limit with enormous silver cost and no potential system would be enough to keep players playing. You can even keep your stupid “-1 on fail” mechanic if you really enjoy making your players suffer.

5 Likes

How is it that every single time someone does something incredibly stupid, they blame the way the system functions? It would have been cheaper to buy multiple spears and try multiple times, than buy gold anvils off the market from whales.

You view it as though you spent more, but you still threw away all the silver that even selling a solmiki cannon would have gotten you–it’s wasteful and that’s not the fault of the system.

It’s RNG, but there are ways to not throw away that much silver. Numbers are numbers, it’s always a percent chance at play. I mean it’s cool that you’re not mad about it, but it’s such a shitty humblebraggy “ha look at me I just threw away like a hundred million silver or three on my weapons and I don’t even care!” thing to do, and then have the audacity to blame the system like it clearly wasn’t a choice you made not to adhere to any kind of internal logic or reason and just throw it all away.

2 Likes

The cannon’s not the purpose of the post. It is humorous.
We love ToS, and we should continue to underline and debate the problems. The fact it was +16 and 7 pot left with no diamonds was incredibly unfair to previous people who left the game when they preserved through patience and still came out short.

I am fully aware of what I did was incredibly stupid and it’s a game, there’s fun in the failures if you can laugh about it. It’s virtual currency and capital and people burn through it even trying to go about the safer methods.
This is not my first downfall with the enhancement system, but it’s the same song and dance. People get upset and stop playing, which is the shittiest part towards the health of our server population and overall towards the game and that’s I’m trying to highlight. The frustrations it brings and imbalances as well.

Before or after Cannon-Chan fired off to the great battlefield in the sky, I’ve been against potential. It’s just opinions though and you’re right there are better ways to go about it, but it doesn’t change that the current enhancement system is bad and ultimately you’re gauged by RNG.
I’d rather 400 people with +20 weapons and armour going at it competitively than a few with +23 and others varying from +11 onwards. But until we reach our final rank and our final gear tier I’m not going to wait around for Diamond Anvils or burn through them when we have our next set just a few weeks away.

Ultimately I agree with you my actions were idiotic, but the current enhancement system is not fine.

11 Likes

farm for 3 months to get a godlike pistol (350) 70 str, 50 con , 43 dex … and what happend? 15 golden anvil and i never reach +11

4 Likes

Then…just leave the item as a +6 and use transcend?

Its not like you need a +16 or +21 or +40 to even progress.

On top of which, the next transcend update will increase the base damage value of weapons, making enhancement worth less. You should be able to easily progress just from transcendence alone.

Extract:

• Increased basic equipment values (weapons +50%, armor +70%).

The proportion of Enhancement in the total damage is the same:

At best Enhancement will be as powerful as it is now, at worst more pressure will be placed on it as less variance will come from Transcendence as it will be easier to achieve.

Even then, the point is to progress which the current system does not accommodate well, not to mention any kind of competition whether it be at WB’s or TW (depending on how they balance equipment) Enhancement will matter, that also doesn’t consider any future content IMC may decide to implement.

4 Likes

Well, if you’re going to compete in WB situations (I’m not even going to talk about the -mess- thats TBL), then spending money on enhancement is to be expected.

I don’t see what else is going to be different. At least progressing in non-competitive PVE situations will be much easier.

If you remove enhancement altogether…then there will be -no- progression whatsoever for WB. Everyone would have trans10 (Like there is any difference now, lol).

Really don’t see how you can implement a non-destructive method without all actual competitive players achieving it extremely quickly.

1 Like

Absolutely, but that’s where the imbalances become apparent.

Yes but we want that! We want to encourage players to invest and spend time, to progress. Having a system that causes players to not want to invest (or often even quit) hurts the game, and hurts players will to play.

Agreed. Removing Enhancement without introducing a new one or reworking the current is a really bad idea, though I’m not sure if anyone is advocating for that though. :open_mouth:

I wouldn’t mind a more short term silver sink enhancement system along with another more long term one, or a reformation of the current system where you are encouraged to go out and obtain Diamond/Golden Anvils through non-Leticia Cube related content along with other changes. There are plenty of options to accommodate progression, but the current system doesn’t which is the main point.

EDIT: I don’t just mean making Golden and Diamonds more readily available, I mean changing the whole system and not locking it to Leticia Cubes.

3 Likes

As a cannoneer that only has a transcended +8 0 potential raffye cannon, this post physically hurts me.

5 Likes

I’ve tried enhancing so many cannons that I’m just switching to a support class instead.

Also, is fun to see in silute ppl linking and posting everyday on market their +6 masinios with 0 potential/closed gem sockets.

The p2w we’re talking about is how they are slowly introducing diamond anvils, ways to open sockets even with 0 potential (tp of course, and loot boxing, even more fun). The next step will be an incredible golden dust to recover potentials.

1 Like