Tree of Savior Forum

I checked my GPU load during terrible city framerate loss. Here's what I discovered

Well I think most people are astounded as to why such a relatively graphically simple game still manages to only get 20-30 FPS in crowded areas and 5 FPS in guild fight/world boss conditions even with amazing hardware…

Example: I’m running an Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, Nvidia GTX 980M, 16GB DDR4, Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD (this is a really nice SSD drive if you’re ever on the market for blazing fast speed).

In a somewhat crowded town? 30 FPS
In a crowded town? 23 FPS
In a world boss fight? 6 FPS

Sometimes the FPS just decides to tank for apparently no reason (some people say it might be network related…)

It’s kind of a joke…

2 Likes

@Scyris: Attributing CPU cores to applications is an OS’s job, not your software’s job. A multithreaded application using Core0 always is the OS’s fault.
Besides, most games nowadays are multithreaded to use 4 threads.

@varuna: Which CPUs exactly were tested? A Skylake i3 certainly beats a Sandy Bridge i7 in single-core performance.

@tzxazrael: The characters are 3D models. This was proven by data mining back in the kCBT1.

I have an i3 550… which is a piece of crap but I’ll upgrade it sooner or later when I need to.

welp, the i3-550 should be worse than any i7 indeed.

It’s funny because my sister has an AMD FX-4300 and a 550Ti and has decent framerates (20 at towns, 45-60 at fields), which is comparable to my i5-4460 + 970 setup

How is your FPS for other games?

Consistent 50-60 on Ultra settings on most AAA games at 1080p.

Edit:

If you’re talking about the FX-4300 + 550Ti combination, 45-60fps on Medium-High settings at 1080p for most AAAs up to 2014, 2015 onwards tend not to run even on low settings

I turn VSYNC off, i have a ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD, and 2x EVGA Geforce 660GTX SLI and both video cards are at like 42c and 36c with minimal load. so its doing nothing bad to the graphics cards at all… the game engine is just badly optimized

Client_tos.exe is using over 25% of my CPU (32% to be more accurate), so it’s definitely multithreading. I just don’t know why it can’t render 60fps.

(Oh, and not multitasking that much barely affects the framerate; I’d get extra 1 or 2fps from this)

1 Like

If you only allow one of your cores to run the Client_tos.exe, what happens to your framerate?

You can do this by right clicking Client_tos.exe in your task manager and selecting “set affinity”. The result should be that if you limit Client_tos.exe to only 1 thread, your fps should not take too much of a hit (if at all)…

EDIT: On my setup I pretty much see no difference between 1 thread vs more threads… so even if ToS is “multithreaded” it’s basically not taking advantage of any of those other threads.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find this option, in both Resource Monitor and Task Manager.

1 Like

Task manager right click when you have the Client_tos.exe selected. It should have a expanding context menu…

I DIDN’T KNOW OF THIS TAB

Anyway, I was dungeoning and saw pretty bad FPS drops when forcing a single core (tried both CPU0 and CPU3); got back to the 60s by enabling all 4 cores.

1 Like

Interesting… how much? And what if you only enabled two cores?

I forgot to ask, is your intel CPU hyperthreading? If it is, you’ll see CPU 0 --> 7 in the Processor Affinity menu.

Nope, my CPU doesn’t hyperthread.

Going to test two cores after I’m done with this dungeon.

Edit:

I dropped to 35-ish when I had the affinity set to a single core

1 Like

Sounds like we can safely say that ToS is not CPU limited (because I bet you get your full 60 FPS with 2, maybe 3, cores)… and it doesn’t appear to be GPU limited either… so then what the hell is limiting performance?

EDIT: OH had another idea so please do another test for me!

Go to a crowded town record your average FPS, then limit your CPU to 1 core and report what the new FPS is… oddly if it’s what I’m hypothesizing, your FPS drop should not be as bad when you’re in a crowded town area with only 1 CPU core.

bad programming optimization.
it’s always been that simple… and sadly this is common to other korean mmo’s as well. (but not limited to them.)

i can give you the answer to what limiting your cpu to a single core does, without even needing to test:
it will result in worse performance, every time.

ToS is not restricted to a single core. using 26% on a 4-core system doesn’t mean it’s capping out 1 core and using a bit of another core… it’s probably close to evenly divided on several cores.
i was just on Orsha Server, in Klaipeda ch.1… and surprised myself by dropping to around 6-7 FPS near the statue.
previously, i’ve gotten a nice 45-60ish out doing basically whatever, wherever.
this is a brand new system core… (AMD 860K quad core, 16GB ram… only thing old on the system is the video card, but it’s literally the card listed in the recommended system specs.)

i suspect, like i said above:
lazy coding, relying heavily on the CPU and ignoring the GPU.

Can still get 60FPS with two cores.

Will try at a city, though.

1 Like

It’s not relying that heavily on the CPU, Maavy can get 60 FPS on only 2 of 4 cores of an i5-4460.

Im happy to see, we can have a topic of interest keep a back and forth without resorting to trolling. At the end of the day, all the info you guys are putting out help people with less knowledge start to understand that not everything that goes wrong with the game is cause to go ballistic.

A question from a super noob, why are the high end CPUs not able to still push through, i mean 32% dont seem even close to a bottleneck? By logic the system should just take more and keep the performance up, no?

Current data seems to suggest that ToS is not being limited by either the graphics card as @ridleyco has shown and it doesn’t appear to be limited by the CPU either as @Maavy and I are showing.

I’m curious as to what the results of the ‘crowded city’ test are…