Tree of Savior Forum

How IMC increases game difficulty is really worrying

I’m about to give a feedback but since it’s wierd giving a feedback about kToS on official forums, I’ll just put this here on general discussion. Could also get more attention here.

So here’s the thing. If you played kToS, you will notice an increased difficulty on enemy. Seems great right?

How was this delivered? Well, it was delivered in the worst way.

First thing to note, on early levels, some enemy already have the skill/attack to knock you down. Doesn’t sound so bad right? Well what if it’s the aim-botting archers? Yes, Multi-shot cast by the enemy can now knock you down. Still doesn’t sound so bad? Well, I was doing some quest when suddenly some Spion Archer almost one-shotted me with just 1 cast of multi-shot.

Second is Caltrops. The caltrops now has ridiculous damage and CAN knock you down. On Lv50 instance, the damage of caltrops ranges from 800-1000. But Caltrops is easy to avoid right? Well well, not if the enemy decides to throw it at your face.

Third, more aimbotting mage enemies with homing projectiles. YES, we all love this right? You cannot outrun them, you cannot dodge them manually. 99% of the enemy population on the Tenet Chapel equivalent on Orsha has these mage enemies. Not to mention, they have very high density almost comparable to Demon Prison. You will totally love that area as a non-cleric, you will see lots of people missing huge chunks of their HP running around.

Fourth. More CC from enemies! Air launch is not exclusive to high level melee mobs anymore. Some low level ranged mobs can now launch you to the air now as well!

I am all for increasing the difficulty of the game, after all, the game as it is IS too easy. Making enemy cheap by adding one shot skills or increasing density of mobs with homing attacks is NOT challenging at all. That is called a band-aid fix. It does not solve anything, it just increases the demand for healers and forces more party plays.

This isn’t part of the topic anymore but some bosses are wonky again. Either they only stare and do nothing till their death or just use 1 skill before blank staring again till they die. A recent patch caused an IPF error (same thing like the one on iCBT2) when logging in, the worst part is you cannot bypass it anymore using the “close window” method so I rage-quitted and cannot do anymore tests on higher level content.

If ToS didn’t carry the title “spiritual successor of ragnarok” I would’ve dropped this game already. The game is getting worse and worse per patch.

13 Likes

I :heart: destruction, KToS

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/uploads/default/original/3X/4/3/43f30a87540ec04db9576676597a44686c9aa5c4.gif

4 Likes

Looks like ‘full support’ builds now have a chance to shine.

First through Fourth sounds beautiful; I’m assuming those are in the maps labeled with higher stars? I hope they bring that same difficulty here (As long as most of it is kept in maps outside of the main storyline).

You almost made me want to go there and play it. Almost.
(I would’ve posted a ‘git gud’ .Gif, but I guess this isn’t the place for that).

1 Like

Sure it does suit your taste I guess but this kind of band-aid difficulty is extremely half-@ssed for me. Especially when bosses are left untouched.

How you even thought of posting a git gud image is amazing. Because you need to git gud to dodge impossible to dodge homing magic missiles right? or git gud to prevent getting almost one-shotted by low level mobs on a low level area right?

1 Like

It’s my dream to tease you.

1 Like

As expected from IMC, they make things either challenging, horrible, unable to play, unchanged…
That’s why I’m not expecting too much, We’ll just wait and see how good/horrible the iToS will be :sparkles:

1 Like

The one shotting Spion Archers are just on Gele Plateau which is a Lv29 field.
The 800-1000 damage caltrops that can knockdown are found on Lv50 instance.
Ranged enemies that can CC (launch you into the air) and ranged mage enemies who has impossible to dodge missiles are both found on the Tenet Chapel counterpart on Orsha.

These are all low level areas.

If they are gonna force party runs with a healer, they should at least increase the exp given by mobs because getting 60% exp only when in duo-pt feels like getting dragged especially on low level areas where mobs are still easy to kill unlike on demon prison. Not to mention, getting a healer who is ready to play with you anytime isn’t easy in the first place.

This sounds really nice, that’s actually the kind of gameplay I was looking forward to when I initially started playing this game, but I was disappointed by how dumb and easy the enemys are.

I really don’t want to turn my brain off when killing monsters, and if I do so I want to get punished for it.

Being pretty much immortal is unappealing and boring.

I’m pretty sure there will be need for some adjustment, such as when enemys who now hit harder are basicly undodgeable due to bugs, but I like the general directions this is heading into

Sounds great to me. More reasons to party up and filter out the die-hard solo players who never want to communicate.

2 Likes

The game forcing you to be a healer or having a healer as an increased difficulty sounds nice?

I don’t see how these aim-botting enemies that can do massive damage to you anytime w/o giving you the chance to dodge is a good feature.

This increase of difficulty is basically the main problem on point and click games where ranged mobs just need to target you, cast a skill and the skill will automatically hit you.

What I wanted to see was something like IMC adding a quick dodge button where the character will have invulnerability frame for a split second while moving quick in a short distance AND then making the mobs move faster in a way like the melee mobs will attempt to tackle/charge towards you or ranged mobs having faster projectiles but no more homing/aimbotting making it possible to dodge with enough reflex. Now this improves the game difficulty while not being half baked unlike giving one-shot skills to the enemy or impossible to dodge projectiles.

It sounds nice and all but that’ll definitely require a very good latency for it to works…otherwise FPS online games will never demands something as low as ~50ms for the competitive players.

That aside, while ToS is more of an action RPG, it should’t be something that focus on skills and reflex as much as, let’s say Dragon Nest since it’s more of a rogue-like fantasy RPG that focus on a lot of classic lore that has that very steoretype cliche, where a group of different kind of people who specialized in different fields work together to bring down the enemies. And by implementing something this “difficult”, or rather punishing for one to go solo who has its very own pros and cons that’ll just not work on every situation, it sort of make sense.

Sounds to me like someone got spoiled by higher exp rates during CBT and went into higher level locations than his/her characters currently have.

4 Likes

Like I said, of course there has to be done some adjustment to make enemys actually dodgeable or being able to play around these kind of things. You also have to take latency into account which can make these sort of things more difficult than intended.

But the game encouraging you to be have a healer and partying up does sound much better than the state of the game we had to experience on OBT2.

It’s really boring when support classes basicly boil down to gimped swordmen with more sustain, I would like to see more demand for them. That way the suffering they had to go through when leveling pays off. The way healers and enemy difficulty was handled in RO was pretty much perfect, I have yet to see a better system in a MMO

Your idea sounds nice in theory but ultimately fails again due to latency.
I’ve played these kind of games before and it’s really frustrating when your character was already dodging out of a voidzone on your screen but you still get hit. Also the novelty wears off really quickly.
Reflexbased gameplay just doesn’t fit into such a MMO

Your assumption is wrong then because I use my exp cards to have the same level as the map level. I also do both Klaipeda and Orsha quests so that I get a good supply of exp cards to keep up with the continous increase on area levels.

1 Like

Highlander’s block and Peltasta’s shield block says hello. Also, reflex based features is still good with around 200ms ping. With a better server, iToS should give 200ms ping only for SEA players. They just need to invest on the feature and on the server.

Also, reflex based features is still good with around 200ms ping

Not it really isn’t.
This feature is a dumb idea and the amount of money you’d have to spend on servers all over the world to ensure that everyone has around 50ms would be too much for IMC to handle

Nope, it’s a fact that 200ms is still fine. Simply because I have 200ms ping on KR server using a VPN and I still cast skills the instant I press the button. The game has abit of lag compensation if you haven’t noticed. Most new MMOs have lag compensation features added. It’s where the server will consider what happened client-side depending on the delay it reached the server.

Dragon Nest is also a fine example for this. Having 200ms+ before on SEA (due to being overcrowded) I was still able to dodge Manticore’s attacks even with a split sec iframe. Meanwhile, I tried Dragon Nest TW where I had very high ping (around 500ms) and wasn’t able to avoid Manticore’s attack anymore even though I timed my dodge perfectly.

I agree with op.

I felt burned out playing kOBT.

Someone mentioned about friends all quitted and he is the only one left (not on forum)

The grinding game starts as early as early 30s if you do only Klai quests. If you don’t want to grind, you have to get a friend to tele you to Orsha and do all the quests. I would enjoy reading story line and questing through than have to fight for a spot to grind with the terrible spawn rate.

2 Likes

Not really, have you ever heard of CDN from Amazon? They are cheap and built around the world already, just need to spend some small amount to buy them.