Tree of Savior Forum

[GUIDE] Updated! How To play TOS on Mac (PlayOnMac)

Update 6/24/17: Ok! So i decided to check up on my old guide and see if anyone found a way to fix the problem. Lunar Rabit and S-Loxe found a fix i will put the link here, if they decided to create a guide then i will inform you guys. I dont want to hijack their guide soo i’ll just link it here XD i’ll try to become an advocate again on crossover (advocates gain free crossover builds) for those who have a hard time following the POM instructions could just download it

Update 1/19/17: With the recent update that IMC made the playing TOS on CrossOver is not possible anymore in addition to that i decided to quit TOS a few months back because of IMC’s lack of initiative on fixing issues within the game, thus the lack of reply and update. You can still play TOS on POM and on Wineskin. Im still not sure if i’ll be updating this guide for the wineskin guide since there is a lot of guide out there already

Greetings everyone!!

Before Anything else i would like to warn everyone that its much more better to play TOS via Bootcamp rather than using this softwares i mentioned. On FPS it really depends on what mac you are using, i’m using a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 and my FPS is around 40 to 50 on fields and 25 to 30 on towns (if the town is crowded 15 to 25)

The only reason you’re going to use this is

1. you don’t want to fiddle with Bootcamp
  2. you don’t have enough space on your Hard Drive
  3. you’re lazy switch back and forth from Mac to Windows and Vice versa

Why not buy a Windows Machine?
My answer to that question is this little Video PC Master Race?

CrossOver Guide

With the fix Loxe and Lunar Rabbit found i might create another crosstie soon as of now please follow the POM Guide

PlayOnMac Guide

So what is POM? well its like CrossOver but its free LOL! Though the UI is not that user friendly.

First of all download PlayOnMac Here PlayOnMac

Step 1:
Open POM then click on Install, On the Install Menu click on Games then search “Steam” then install it, POM will automatically install files needed for Steam to work

Step 2:

After the installation is finished click on “Configuration” then on the Configuration window click General then “Wine Version” click on the plus sign. The Wine Versions Window will appear, click on the 2.6-staging then press “>” just follow the installation instructions. After doing so Exit the window. On The Configuration window on the Wine Version click the drop down menu and change it to the new one we downloaded which is the 2.6-staging

On the Same Config Menu go to “Install Components” and install the following

Then install the following:

BEFORE PROCEDDING PLEASE CHECK THIS LINK! THIS IS THE FIX LUNAR RABIT AND LOXE FOUND TO MAKE TOS WORKING AGAIN! FIX VC2015 UPDATE please like their post as without them there will be no fix

• msvc100 (change to native)
  • msxml3
  • DXFullsetup
  • vcrun2010
  • flashplayer
  • mono210
  • msvc80

Step 3:
After installing everything above, you’re ready to play TOS.

HOW TO ADD ADDONS
Excurlon has stopped making addons and stopped updating his addon manager will be qouting him below for his reason

Excrulon’s post on his Github page

No more addon development or even playing Tree of Savior until imc gets their act together. This includes

Fixing performance issues once and for all. This means >= 30 fps no matter what you’re doing in the game and no more microstutters/freezes. I’m fairly confident that the latest fixes they posted about that they’re testing won’t do anything noticeable. Hope I’m wrong.
Actually caring about exploits and fixing them. I’ve had enough of everything being clientside and there being new exploits left and right. It’s absurd the amount of things you can do without proper server checks. There’s cold, hard proof of people using exploits nonstop and imc doesn’t care. Sometimes they’ll randomly pick one to ban, but then they’ve met their quota for the month and disappear for a while.
Treating us like they treat ktos. Hotfixes for critical issues within 48 hours. They advertised and released a big feature, boss cards, and it was completely broken for most players for around a month before they fixed it. No other company would do that.
Proper compensation. Klaipedia, and probably other servers as well, couldn’t even enter dungeons due to the capacity issue for weeks. imc completely ignored us and gave no compensation. Meanwhile, look at the compensation ktos gets the next day. 1 2
GMs that actually do something. Not ones that login at 3 am and shout asking if anyone needs help and then don’t actually do anything. Daily scanning of popular bot maps such as tenet church. You can tell if a player is a bot just by looking at its movement for 3 seconds. It’s not hard.
Remove the needless restrictions put in as an attempt to counter RMT.
Do something about AFK farming. With a few exceptions (BDO fishing, maybe), making a game that promotes AFK farming is terrible game design.
This game is in such an awful state and it’s not worth investing another minute in. I’d run far away until these things are fixed.

6 Likes

can u make a guide on how to install addons? i tried and well bug all over ><
btw im using cross over
tyvm

download the whole zip, this happened to me when i tried adding addons one by one. The just Extract everything on the Addon folder at the TreeOfSavior location. If your still confused then i’ll make a guide :smile:

1 Like

Well, i think my problem is that the only way that i get acess to tos folder is via steam, and then i tried to get the unzip files and copy/paste inside the folder all via steam, maybe there and that is when happens that a “load addons” get stuck in middle of my screen, then a tried to replace a file that in addons page says that would fix this issue, and… no fixing happens, so i would really appreciate if u could give me some guidance ><

i see, ok i’ll create a step by step guide later tonight. I might post it tomorrow, as currently im fixing the CrossTie on the Crossover site :smiley:

1 Like

thank you so much mister!
Realy kind of you!!
S2

can you really get much better FPS playing on mac? 30 fps is HUGE in crowded towns

Any way to install addons?

it really depends on what mac you are using im using a macbook pro 2015 with intel graphics iris 6100

Hey guys! crosstie link is now up!

1 Like

Change your resolution. I change from 28801800 to 19201080 and my usual fps is about 90. But I play in Windows, no idea on OS X

@franzcamacho07 do you know how to make a ps3 controller work for MAC?
i’m playing TOS on Play On Mac :slight_smile:

Im playing with CrossOver on MBP 2014 with Intel Iris graphics and its not smooth as i thought. Have you tried making changes to the user.xml file? I did it though, in hoping to improve the FPS of the game itself. But to my disappointment after making changes to it and lock it to a read only permission, the game reverts back to its original settings and does not apply what i had changed to the user.xml file. Any help on this? Thanks.

that happened to me as well, don’t worry the changes you made via user.xml are saved the game doesn’t really update it. i changed my resolution to 1280 x 800 via user.xml but the game thinks the current resolution is 1680 x 1050. dunno why though XD

before opening POM attach the controller via USB POM will automatically detect the controller, to double check you can go to PlayOnMac configuration>Wine>Control Panel>Game Controllers

Hi ! I’m not sure what i’m doing wrong but this come up everytime : (
http://imgur.com/y2EJoZ5

hello saltear, what are you using? POM or Crossover :smiley:

Hi ! I am using play on mac .

Ah ! nvm i fix it somehow…

excuse me , I got some problem with the game which is similar to the photo that saltear send before ,Im using play on mac.