Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

You are not going to be able to use 1H Spears until you reach Dragoon if you do that, so you will have to switch between 1H Sword+Shield and 2H Spear to use your skills and Swash Buckling.

You also won’t have Stabbing, Pierce and Finestra level 5, but I don’t think that is too much of a loss, considering the build you are trying to pull off here. The only problem is that you are not maximizing your use of Restrain without going into Swordsman C3, so that could or could not be a big factor on your experience playing this build.

You are going to need some DEX to hit your enemies on PvP and Critical Rate for PvE/PvP (something between 100~150) and if you want an evasion build then you might consider going into higher numbers.

CON is also required for PvP environments, so you will also want something around 80~100 for that (or enough for your HP to be on a comfortable level for your build).

The rest of your points go into STR for damage.

I don’t think you need to follow a specific ratio because you are not going to be doing PvP until higher levels, so you can save your CON points for later and use them in STR/DEX at the start to level up easier.

So I would say focus more on DEX for now because you are going into Barbarian and it is better to use Evasion/Critical Rate for their solo leveling.

Ignoring the kTOS changes which might or might not come to our version, I do think it is viable to mix Rodelero with Doppelsoeldner. In fact, Doppel goes well with pretty much any build because of how good Cyclone is.

I would stay at Rodelero C2, then go into Fencer->Doppel or Doppel->Fencer, depending which one you like more. Although you could also try something like Doppel->Dragoon or Doppel->Shinobi too.

Hi there, at first i wanna go sw-pelt-hop3-dop-drag but realised i kinda dont like spear style. What build can compare with it(sword based) in terms of pve? Thanx in advance.

What you didn’t like about it?
What are you looking for?
Compared in PvE in terms of what?

Any chance you can explain mechanics behind shinobi skills @Cathexis ?

I tried the main shinobi topic but am looking for confirmation.

I. I read shinobi has an invisibility and a hide ability in their skills, can you really attack and do everything while invisible?

II. Is mijon no jutsu, katon no jutsu and kunai aoe dependant for amount of targets? I dont seem to find any info on this.

III. Does katon no jutsu hits once everything in a line? No DoT on the ground?

IV. How many times do kunai hit?

V. Any idea how to get Pensara sword?

Hi, I am currently a swordsman2 > hoplite2. Planning on hoplite 3 doppel dragoon. I am mostly a pvp player but I don’t like cata so I didn’t take it.

My question is should I change my plans on hoplite 3 and get swordsman3 for restrain 10? I heard restrain at lvl 5 doesn’t do well. I can keep that despite it being lackluster or just lvl pain barrier to 10 if it really is that bad in order to keep hoplite 3.

I also read that spr (aside from block penetration, magic defense, and sp) gives ailment resistance. If this is true does that mean investing points in spr becomes useful in pvp?

Lastly, what are the stat distributions for a hoplite3 doppel dragoon that wants to pvp? I heard crit doesn’t miss, if that is true I only need enough dex to raise my already high crit chance right?

Hey there,

For those interested, I made a small video showing Cross Guard + Spear Lunge + Hexen Combo

Combo is good for solo, ok for missions (if you can manage a block), pretty useless for aoe/grind/dungeon purpose.

I will do another one when I’m shinobi with kunai. (not yet C7, i’m slow XD)

2 Likes

Nothing really) just prefer swords over spears. I looking to be viable in all kinds of pve (solo, party, dungeons). If look in ur reccomended builds what will bebetter and more fun to play:
Swordsman > Peltasta > Barbarian C3 > Doppelsoeldner C2
Swordsman > Peltasta > Barbarian C2 > Corsair C2 > Doppelsoeldner
Swordsman > Peltasta > Barbarian C3 > Fencer C2
Swordsman > Peltasta > Barbarian C3 or Highlander C3 > Fencer > Doppelsoeldner
Swordsman > Peltasta > Highlander C2 or Barbarian C2 > Corsair C2 > Fencer

Hi guy @Cathexis ,can you tell me about Cross guard skill ?
when i max it at 15 the block chance increase ? and pierce dmg increase when blocked? or i must max atribute for increase the pierce dmg
the description skill is too short i cant understand it :frowning:
now am going fencer c1 with sw>pel>barb3
i feel pain cause i just know that crossguard can increase pierce dmg and someone tell me it increase many many dmg on pierce which that combo --> cross guard > preparation > attaque coquille > sept etoiles > spam attaque composee
ex. this clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVpzlb8swI
finally I should create new char for go Highlander ? ?? to repalce that fckin barb ? or its ok to go barb 3 ? T^T
ps. sorry for my bad Eng.

I kinda already established in an earlier comment that Cross Guard combos are only viable for bosses, and barely even that really…

But good work anyway, I do think Shinobi could possibly use it for mobbing?..
Because non-boss enemies and players that are staggered from cross guard are rooted/stunned for 8s and im pretty sure Shinobi’s Kunai skill pierces targets, as in going through them to hit another target.
But you would need Peltasta to taunt enemies too you first… Andt it will be much slower then an actual mobing class.

On a side note, Weapon swap before you drop the cross guard to reduce the weapon swap lag, and be able to act while switching weapons.

First of all, don’t be fooled by that video, that boss is weak to BOTH Piercing and Holy damage types.
Not to mention that this player is editing files to be able to cancel his animations and attack faster.

And the combo was:
“cross guard (cancel) -> preparation (cancel) -> attaque coquille > sept etoiles (cancel) > Lunge (cancel) -> spam attaque composee (cancel into it self becuase 0 CD)”

2nd you lvl up Cross Guard for the Block chance, the DMG increase will always be 50-70% of the DMG you dealt to the staggered enemy.

That question is really up to you, IMO i dont feel like Highlander improves Fencer in any way.
Which i have detailed why, here:

That said though, I do not feel like Highlander/Fencer is a bad choice, but its not for me.

Hi, thank you for the guide. @Cathexis, i was wondering what do you think about this build? im already at corsair c1

ohh thank a lot bro :slight_smile:

I don’t really think its worth taking Corsair if your not going to get c2 in it honestly other then that, just minor things like only putting one point in guardian

Btw, guys how many hits does Seism does? How does the calculation goes for Seism for Barbarian? (Physical attack + skill attack) * number of hits?

i wonder that too. it looks to me like the first hit does 100% dmg (skill+atk), second hit 50% and the third one 25%…

@Cathexis I’m not really oposed to Corsair C2. Just the double weapon assault skill. I am tempted by Hexon Dropper, higher level Iron Hook and Keel Hauling (could also get 5 points in Jolly Roger, I guess) How good is keel hauling any way? you say in the opening post it might be good for duels, but is it worth investing points in damage wise?

So with that I could go Sword > Pelt > Barb C2 > Corsair > Fencer > Corsair C2? or do you really think Corsair C1 will be decent enough. It seems to be like Corsair just doesn’t synergize that well with Barb? Honestly I’m half tempted to say screw it and go Barb C3, but if the skills won’t be used much as Fencer that seems kinda silly too…

Another Fencer question: I assume that plate armor is better because the dmg reduction is better than a flat evasion bonus. What do you think about the Roxona Armor? Should I grab the plate version or are the leather stats better for a Fencer:

Roxona Leather:

• Top: PD 64, CON+5, SPR+5
  • Bottom: PD 64, Dar Res+8, Pierce Res+7
  • Gloves: Acc 91, DEX+3, Crit Atk +35
  • Boots: Eva 91, CON+3, Stamina+25

Roxona Plate:

• Top: PD 96, CON+6, Ice Res+8
  • Bottom: PD 96, Crit Res +37, Ice Res+6
  • Gloves: Acc 72, PD+8, HP+289, AoE AR +1
  • Boots: Eva 72, PD+8, HP+289, Stamina+22, AoE DR +2

Should I stick with a full Roxona Plate set or it is better to mix gear and lost the damage reduction. Like get Top Leather and the rest Plate or another combination.

Also, is the AoE AR+1 working for fencer skills?

No, you get out of hiding as soon as you attack (you can move around while hidden though).

Mijin no Jutsu has an AoE Ratio of 3 (so you can hit a lot of enemies), while Katon no Jutsu will hit everything around it.

Correct, only once and doesn’t leave any DoT on the ground.

1 time per level, so 5 times at level 5.

Not sure to be honest, if I find out I will tell you.

Well, if you are going to put all your eggs on the Restrain basket, then you might as well max it out to get as much chance of it activating.

The problem is that with that type of build you are not going to have too many tools to deal damage with, so you are going to have to find something to compensate with at Rank 6 or 7 (If you are going Hoplite C2). Otherwise you are not going to get through the 20k+ HP most people have in PvP before they kill you.

Apparently it does. I don’t think it is worth it if you are doing any sort of structured PvP where you can build your composition around having a Plague Doctor in your party.

Even then, I think it is up to you to decide if you would like to have that extra layer of protection although it is not going to do much and it is going to set your build even further behind in terms of dealing damage (as well as PvE).

No, that is not true. If your hit misses, you don’t have a chance of landing a critical hit. It must hit first.

You are going to need a lot of CON to survive in PvP, around 100 DEX to have enough Accuracy and the rest on STR (or SPR if you do decide to test out that route).

I would probably say:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Fencer->Doppelsoeldner

or

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner->Fencer

Although it depends on your definition of fun.

I assume you took Corsair C1 mostly for PvP?

Your skill points are pretty much on point. The only change that I would make is to keep Mokuton no Jutsu at level 1 and give those two extra points to Katon no Jutsu.

It follows the same damage formula as every other skill.

Seism deals 3 hits, the first one doing 100%, second one roughly 50~70% and the third one around 40% of the original damage.

That is correct, it is mostly a PvE build.

You could pick something like Corsair instead of Hoplite C3 for Iron Hook, or do another variation like that if you would like to take those classes for PvP.

I don’t have a Corsair right now to test it out, but from what other people have been posting it looks like Keel Hauling is either bugged or it behaves differently from what it did on the past.

Before you could spam Keel Hauling a bunch of times while using it and it was quite devastating because at a higher level it could pretty much kill someone by itself.

So it depends on whether or not you have spare points for it, maybe you can use them on another skill or if nothing else is appealing to you then you can always give them to Keel Hauling.

Well, picking Corsair is mostly for a PvP oriented character (in this particular build), because of Iron Hook.

So it depends on how highly you value having that skill on your kit if you are actively looking to participate in PvP.

Otherwise if you would like a more standard build then Barbarian C3->Fencer would still be a good option.

I say Plate is better. Even with an Evasion build on a Fencer, it is impossible to dodge 100% of the time, so you do want to mitigate the damage that you receive rather than try to acquire more Evasion which won’t be doing much at that point.

It does, but it doesn’t increase your range on the skills, you will be still limited by their hitbox.

What you guys think about this build that I’ve been working on? Ty in advice !

The main stat will be CON, the only downside that I see so far is the lack of the squire, but I can still change it (I’m Peltasta 2 atm)

Omg what the hell is that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2QChdVzdc0

Thanks for the tips sir! Will a build of 100 con be enought to pvp? Like having 200 str, 100 con, 100 dex?

I really want to go hoplite3, even if atm its bad at pvp. What can my rank 6 be to compensate for this? I heard 1 rank in cata is bad. If I go swordsman3 route I can max restrain and pain barrier, and hope for more utility and damage in later ranks released. Or just go with doppel and hope for pvp buffs for my build, as I believe spear throw has the potential to be a great cc. If not just I will just have fun :D.