Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

@Cathexis
The life of a retail manager…
Q_Q

I cant wait until i go back to school and finish my engineering degree, so ill never have to step foot in another store again, for anything other then shopping…

Maybe then i can enjoy my 20’s not stressing over work and loising sleep trying to keep a store running above the standard…
:confused:

1 Like

Why take Peltasa at all on a Fencer? Swash Buckling is quite handy don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t consider it a ‘necessary’ skill. I find myself using it less and less on my Cataphract for example.

A very good skill when you are in dungeons and heavy mob areas like Demon Prison. Easily taunt about 14 monsters to come to you and your team mates wipe them out with high damage AOE instead of running around luring monsters.

You will use it more at higher levels, since most of the PvE content turns into grinding parties / dungeons. It makes getting into parties easier.

But other than that, you also get +18% Evasion from Guardian, +25% HP after using Swash Buckling and +25% Block when using a Shield which are all great bonuses that go well with Fencer. Plus the invaluable ability to block manually while using a shield, which makes a huge difference in many aspects of the game.

1 Like

Nevermind… I’m a retard. I forgot about the evasion.

you might want to check this out, unless you always got people to party with

It might not boost itself, but Slithering does. If you really want to max Targe, you’d still have points to get high kick level 3 at least, which is definitely worth it far more than getting either charge or push.

Shield Charge is completely useless. If you need to space out some enemies for any reason at all, Bash (swordsman, not shield bash) or Rim Blow will do the job better and in a far more controlled matter than charge. They also both do SOME damage, unlike Charge (which, by the way, cuts your Attack in half during the attack, just throwing that out there). The only use I can see for it is trolling in PvP, nothing else.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Maybe I’ve overestimated Shield Charge, but it looked like a good knockdown tool for me. And yeah, probably 3 points in High Kick are better.

Another variant is putting those points in Shield Shoving, but I’m not sure if it’s worth.

@Cathexis Do you think Throw Spear 5/5 is worth it by sacrificing a few points in Stabbing in the SW1 > Pelt1 > Hop3 > Doppel build?

Hey Cathexis. Ive been in quite a bit of a bad situation when it comes to my build. I feel like my swordie-pelta-barb3 is akin to whitesmith from RO and even though I enjoy the damage, at the end of the day I want to reap souls in pvp.

I need some ideas on how to make it pvp viable from here. I am considering c1 or c2 even due to the fact that hook/reeling would work as a great set-up for my barb stuns and would even my build out. I do not want to spread myself too thin and do a derp build. Can you give me some insight as how the classes past rank 5 contribute to pvp?

Just looking at doppel, dragoon and fencer it seems like fencer would be the you cant hit me guy, doppel’s cyclone would help against negative effects and dragoon has the dragon soar I think its called that should ( is it still bugged ?) Send enemies flying, and a lot of burst from gae bulg. From the four - Corsair, doppel, dragoon and fencer it seems like one rank into corsair would be enough to have a lot bigger impact on pvp. Would barb 3 into corsair 2 be a super bad choice, pve wise? Is there a better connection I can make here, corsair 1 + rank 1 of something else to make a pvp And pve build work?

I do like the idea of corsair 2 dont get me wrong just want an independent view of it from a different angle.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

i read the Cata build before but I’m thinking about a build that have nice damage and high Crit. How about for later phase especially at R7?

@Cathexis

Thanks for the reply! I will take up your suggestion on Fencer.

1 Like

Why is it a good idea to go hoplite c2? you can only use spears for finestra right?

Oh man, the more i read the forums, the more i can’t decide what path to take from now on…
I am really wondering how endgame content is for swordsman and if you even play solo or most times in group.

Peltasta c1>Highlander c3 right now and soon rank 6.

I want to get the most out of my char, PvE and PvP wise, also for solo and group content.
Right now i am thinking about:

1. Peltasta c1>Highlander c3>Doppel c2
    or
  2. Peltasta c1>Highlander c3>Fencer c2
    or
  3. Peltasta c1>Highlander c3>Doppel c1>Shinobi c1
    or
  4. Peltasta c1>Highlander c3>Fencer c1>Shinobi c1

The problem is i really don’t know how the endgame works out for swordman, i only hear that dps sucks at endgame, regardless of what i choose.
So if i take the DPS path with Doppel 2, will i even be able to tank?
I got Peltasta c1 yes, but is it really enough not to get eaten by the mobs?

And i think with Fencer, i get better abilities to survive but won’t my damage suck even more then so that soloing gets impossible? I heard some people talking: " Wanna destroy your char and reroll, take Fencer" :confused:

Also when tanking i get nothing to defend against mages right? Or would i be able to avoid mage damage with Flanconnade?

Oh and another question: I read alot that 2hand weapons are bad endgame compared to using two weapons. Is that true? and if yes then why? Because of more Gems?
If that is the case, that would be one more argument against going Doppel c2…

Yeah, it comes in pretty handy at level 5 as a filler with pretty good AoE.

You want to max Stabbing if you are going into C3 though, so the points for Throw Spear must come from other skills (not Finestra, of course).

Well, since you took Peltasta then you don’t have to worry too much about PvE since you can just stick with grinding parties as a lurer.

If you want to focus more in PvP, then in the current state of the game (could change in the future), Iron Hook is one of the strongest tools we have, so I would take 1 circle of Corsair but only at Rank 7 because it is unnecessary before that.

For Rank 6 you will want either Fencer or Doppelsoeldner. Normally you would go into a Fencer build to complement Barbarian C3, but in this case you could also opt into choosing Cyclone for the AoE it brings.

I think both options are fine and it would depend on what you like more. The AoE from Doppel or the consistent damage sources from Fencer.

The problem is that you are already using your R7 with Templar, so it leaves you no room for acquiring new combat skills.

Hoplite C3 gives you good Critical Rate with Finestra and Doppel gives you Cyclone plus Deeds of Valor which has good synergy with a High STR build. But in this case, it is a lot of potential that isn’t really used because you don’t have enough skills on your set to have a full rotation.

Cataphract on the other hand has a low cooldown Earth Wave and overall has a faster rotation of skills before going into Dragoon, at least compared to the Hoplite C3 build. It doesn’t have Cyclone, but it has Impale and the mobility which are pretty good tools for PvP in general.

So I would say that the Hoplite C3->Doppelsoeldner->Templar would work, but mainly for PvE (party play) as it doesn’t get enough tools to use for an environment like PvP.

It could change if Templar remains as a 1 circle class, but we won’t know that until Rank 8 gets introduced which could be pretty far into the future.

Spear Lunge makes targets vulnerable to Pierce damage, which is the type of damage Shinobi skills deal, so you buff them up.

You already have Peltasta, that is all you need. There is nothing else that you could get to help you survive.

No, Fencer is still pretty good at consistent damage.

Flanconnade only blocks physical attacks. You could get Slithering from Rodelero to evade magical attacks if you are really worried about that, but it is not necessary. All the protection in your party comes from the healer in your party.

No, it is because of elemental daggers (Arde, Karacha, Venom).

But it is not always the case and not at all stages, it depends on what weapons you are comparing and the general stats that you are aiming to have.

I say to not worry too much about it, since you got Peltasta on your build and you already covered your role as a tank in PvE. The extra damage you might or might not deal doesn’t matter too much, as they are comparable in some ways.

Doppelsoeldner does give you a slightly edge on PvE because of Cyclone, as it is a pretty great AoE skill. But other than C1 of it, you could pick anything else like Fencer, Shinobi or Corsair.

So that is my suggestion, take 1 circle of Doppel (can be at Rank 6 or 7, either way is fine) and also 1 circle of Fencer/Shinobi or Corsair (PvP mainly).

Decided to change my build - instead of Fencer on rank 7, now I have Doppelsöldner.

How I would stat the Fencer:
80~ STR
30~ CON
160~ DEX

Previous build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/rndd7u62av/

Current build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/u08ehhl7k3/

To be honest, I do not know if it is a fair trade and how much I am going to lack in damage and effectiveness for PvE and PvP because I had a pretty good synergy on my last build.

Oh, I have been thinking about Highlander instead of Barbarian due to the high cooldown on both Frenzy and Warcry. Also, Highlander without going for C3 is not that great as I will not have Skull Swing, and I do not think that trading Barbarian for Bleeding and Shock status is a good trade at all.

Highlander variation: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/ld1ontnxze/ (If someone is interested)

How I decided to stat my character (the Doppelsöldner variation):

140~ STR
30~ CON
100~ DEX

I do not know if I would be able to stack DoV fast enough. To be honest, I want Critical Rate, and not Evasion. Maybe…

150~ STR
40~ CON
80~ DEX

is a better stat distribution, I guess.

Anyway, I have one big concern: Cyclone has a 45s cooldown and I would have to wait 8s for DoV (on level 5). Fencer has more sustained damage when compared to the Doppelsöldner. So… In a long fight or dungeon, Fencer has the advantage and higher DPS?

With the builds you are comparing yeah, Fencer would have a higher DPS.

However, this is mainly because Corsair is usually paired with Hoplite for DPS, so if you had a Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Doppelsoeldner build then you would have higher DPS than your Fencer build.

While Barbarian can be paired with Corsair, it isn’t optimal for PvE becuase you lose a lot of damage potential without Hoplite, so it is more of a PvP oriented build, that is why it loses on damage during long fights.

Thx for your answer :slight_smile:

So Peltasta1>Highlander3>Doppel1>Shinobi/Corsair/Fencer would be a better idea instead of
Peltasta1>Highlander3>Fencer>Shinobi/Fencer2

If i take Fencer, is the lack of aoe ability really that great of an impact?
And what about the Highlander damage skills, are they all useless at endgame or do i still use them?

Sorry, I couldn’t answer right now but I will get back to it as soon as I can.

I will be gone for the weekend, so I won’t be able to answer questions for now but hopefully other members of the community will be able to cover and help those looking for answers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

@Cathexis Mind my stupid question, but when you said sacrificing other skills for spear throw 5 while keeping Stabbing 15, you meant that for Corsair 3 only?
I don’t know what C3 means. :frowning: