Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Hoplite - By Cathexis

We have no info on dragoon yet (do we?), but if we get to choose between 2h spear and 1h spear/shield I’d like to go shield, so I’m trying to decide if I go pelt 2 hop 3 or if there’s another viable spear/shield build.

1 Like

I’d like ideas for a option to spear/shield build too after hoplite c2 I mean.

Can you make a video of how the attack speed increase with Deeds of Valor is

I actually switch between Spear+Shield and Spear+Dagger depending on the situation, even now as a Doppelsoeldner.

For example, easy maps and questing I just use Spear+Dagger. Some maps have mobs that hit really hard (800+ damage per hit), so I switch to Shield for those because I get to block their attacks and it is just easier.

You will never die to a world boss as long as you have a shield to block.

During heavy party grinding sessions at Demon Prison or 2nd Demon Prison, I would just use shield because the damage difference is just minimal (most of it comes from mages, etc) and I was getting insane amounts of passive blocking just by using the shield, negating lots of damage.

About Dragoon:

We don’t have information yet and we will need more details before drawing any possible builds for it. That said, as I listed on my previous post, there are lots of viable builds that can be used. Like I said, it depends on the playing style you want to have.

So if you want to be a Dragoon using Spear+Shield, then you might want to consider picking Peltasta, Hoplite, Rodelero and Doppelsoeldner as your choices before Rank 7, where you will pick Dragoon. Every build I listed is viable before going into Dragoon.

@Galaxy

None of the skills that increase attack speed in the game are currently working. Not sure if it is a bug which will be fixed in the future. However, it does increase your attack.

1 Like

What’s the best good spears u can get at lvl 120 ? Every spear i see doesn’t seems as cool as grand spontoon from lvl 75 which gives 80 crit attack…

@delgar89

In my opinion, the best Spear currently available in the game is Zega Spear. Grand Spontoon only adds 80 Critical Attack, which means only 80 extra points to your total damage, when you are dealing over 1,000 damage then 80 is nothing.

On another note, I recently hit level 200:

And here are some of the videos I took after getting to Rank 6:

#Thoughts after reaching Level 200

As we can see, at level 200 I can get exactly 450 points into STR only using Zachariel Bangle which adds +3 STR.

Now, as you can see my Critical Rate is 236, but I still haven’t equipped myself with Green Gems higher than level 4, so that number will only keep on increasing.

My health is at 17,967 (22,458 with Swash Buckling) without spending a single point in CON, but equipment does add a lot to it, and I am also using Level 50 “Plate Mastery: Defense” attribute.

Even though there are a few level 170 spears in the game, I decided to stay with the level 120 Zega Spear, as I consider it a much better option considering we don’t have the good level 170 spears available in this beta. Otherwise, my Physical Attack would be a little higher since the level 170 ones have higher numbers.

My Physical Attack is at 1036~1120 with Gung Ho (Level 50 attribute), and it goes up to 1494~1518 with 5 stacks of Deeds of Valor, but nothing else used (like Squire weapon upgrade, Dumbbell, etc).

Now, those are my stats, but this is my general overview of the build:

##Stats

Full STR is definitely possible.

I ran through every map, all the quests and all the dungeons with full STR and didn’t have any problems.

The HP I had was more than enough for everything I did, so CON wasn’t a necessity when being the tank for grinding parties or dungeons and I always kept my accuracy up with Gauntlets of the highest level I could wear, so no need for extra accuracy (it can be further increased with Green Gems on Gauntlets, but I never slotted any of mine so far).

As for Critical Rate, you can see the amount of critical hits I landed through the videos I have been posting.

That said:

I do think there is room to improve the build. As we can see, full STR gives 450 STR at level 200, and with the damage already being high, those extra points past 400 doesn’t really seem to do THAT much in the overall picture.

So I came up with a decent ratio for a build:

• 1 point of DEX every 10 levels. The rest into STR.

Which would result in a build similar to this:

As we can see, it leaves us with 409 STR, 22 CON and 44 DEX, which I think is a pretty nice trade, considering my Physical Attack is 1051~1075.

I do think it is possible to keep on refining the build, specially when better equipment is taken into consideration, but I don’t want to spend too much time seeking the most optimal build as this is only beta and we will get an increased level cap with more equipment and stuff when the game comes out.

So for now, I recommend the “1 point of DEX every 10 levels. The rest into STR” ratio, but it also has room for adding some CON or even more DEX if it is to your liking. There really no way to go wrong as long as you keep your Physical Attack high enough (at least 900 with Gung Ho).

##Skills

As you can see from the picture above, that is the build I went with.

I did have Level 5 Throwing Spear at some point because it helped when grinding at 2nd Demon Prison, but overall I think one point is enough for Long Stride, Throwing Spear and Spear Lunge (specially when you are using Zega Spear, which increases those skills to level 3).

After playing around with different skill builds, that is what I felt more comfortable with as a Hoplite.

##Final Thoughts

Had lots of fun playing with my Hoplite, and will definitely look forward to keep on improving the build as I get better equipment, gems and with the future release of the Dragoon class.

I took the Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite C3 -> Doppelsoeldner path for this beta, but I do think every build I listed on one of my previous post is viable:

• Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Hoplite C3 -> Doppelsoeldner
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Corsair -> Corsair C2
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Corsair -> Doppelsoeldner
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Squire -> Squire C2
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Corsair -> Squire
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Hoplite C3/Cataphract -> Hoplite C3/Cataphract
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Hoplite C3 -> Rodelero
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Hoplite C3 -> Squire
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Rodelero/Squire -> Rodelero/Squire
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Rodelero -> Rodelero C2
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Rodelero/Cataphract -> Rodelero/Cataphract
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Squire/Cataphract -> Squire/Cataphract
  • Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite -> Hoplite C2 -> Squire/Cataphract/Corsair/Hoplite C3 -> Fencer

Each one gives a different playing style but remains as viable as the rest, as every one of them has Hoplite as their core. I have also met and partied several of these builds in game being used by other people, and they have been doing just fine.

There certainly is room for customization depending on each person’s preferences, so don’t be afraid to experiment and choose the classes you like the most.

And as always, I will keep answering questions and updating the guide.

6 Likes

@Cathexis

you forgot to mention sexy CAPES from Dragoon COSTUME! for rank 7

also holy BATMAN that STR!

you had my interest in hoplite but now you have my attention.

@Cathexis
Where did you get so much crit rate from?

That’s only 150 at level 15. He has 236 total in the top picture stat distribution in which he puts 0 points into dex.

stats do have natural inclination as you level, the most obvious is the HP value. i suppose crit rate does to.

@Karjalainen So how much of his total stat in the first picture is from natural crit rate progression? Versus his gear / gems.

only OP can tell unfortunately

also i think OP’s Finestra is LvL17

see spear

Oh ■■■■ you’re right. So that leaves 86 crit rate, and assuming 4 green gems from shield and spear that should add up to 80 crit rate +/- I think plus the nat 9 dex. I guess it all adds up.

thats why OP had me more intrested in Hoplite class now more than ever. But i still dig the fencer costumes which leave me in dilema as fencer seems to suck.

Once the Dragoon class comes out probably ill take spear holplite and i shall praise OP for her enlightenment.

1 Like

Is this Zega spear still the best choice even if I’m going C2 hoplite c2 corsair ? Or should i just aim for higher base dmg spear…? You think this +2 hoplite skills will give me much when im only c2 hoplite?

@Galaxy

You don’t get Critical Rate from leveling up, the difference comes from Gems: 170 (Finestra) + 9 (DEX) + 57 (Gems) = 236.

Green gems add the next values:

• Level 1 (+2)
  • Level 2 (+4)
  • Level 3 (+8)
  • Level 4 (+14)
  • Level 5 (+22)
  • Level 6 (+32)
  • Level 7 (+44)

I am not sure about higher levels, but I think it is close to +100 at max level gem. There is also a monster gem (Chafperor) that increases Finestra skill level, so it just keeps on increasing.

@delgar89

I do think you have a little more flexiblity as a Corsair, but there are not that many options available. The only good spear you can get at level 170 is Geras Spear, which is a decent spear.

You will get a little bit of a higher attack using that one (plus the +2 AoE Range), while Zega Spear gives you +20 Critical Rate, +4% Block and some extra damage on the Hoplite skills.

At the same time, Geras takes double the cost to upgrade, so you might want to stick with Zega a little longer until you get enough money to upgrade Geras to a high level.

It seems that Dust Devil skill from Corsair syncro with Doppel’s Cyclone Skill. Do they or am I not understanding it right?

I’m at the breaking point now: Hoplite Second Circle.

In my opinion The Geras Spear is good ONLY if you go to the Third Circle of Hoplite.

On the contrary, if you go with Hoplite Circle 3 then you would want to stay with Zega Spear.

As for Cyclone, you can’t use anything else while at it. Dust Devil is just a quick attack with spin animation you can watch it here: Dust Devil.

So no, they would not synchronize or anything.

1 Like

I agree. Those +2 to Hoplite Skills are unbeatable in my opinion.

I saw a Centurion class in public builds but it doesn’t seem it is available anymore on skill tree simulator. Did they remove this class?

Although I probably won’t be able to use it before the game going live I bought one for me and stored it (a Zega Spear). :grin: