Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Damage formula

Hi, quick question on the wizard 1.5 Magic Amplification factor–is it present on all wizard magic attacks, or was it just Energy Bolt? Is it possible that the 1.5 multiplier is from a full-charged cast? I guess what I’m asking is if skills like Earthquake that don’t require charging also get some kind of amplification like Energy Bolt does.

as far as i know its just energy bolt. other attacks have elemental properties that can boost them by 50% though and higher skill base attack values. the only attack that uses the base magic power is the basic attack with staff. if energy bolt didnt have the 1.5x bonus I think it would be useless at lower skill levels and also higher skill levels would be pretty crappy later on too. but we know from the description that meteor uses your base matk at 3x as well so there may be others

1 Like

Cool, tyvm–I’m hoping that there’s base amplification on more skills for wizard classes; a skill based class should have scaling abilities imo.

well they each have elements which is a 50% bonus and attack mdef not phys def so theres more than enough reasons to have them. but on a side note wizard gloves and weapons tend to have magic amp so you get some extra bonuses there too.

1 Like

Most physical damage and wizard skills have a static skill attack. However, many cleric skills, at least on ToSBase, have skill attack dependent on INT ( http://www.tosbase.com/database/skills/40104/ ) or even spirit ( http://www.tosbase.com/database/skills/40201/ ). Does that mean, those skills benefit twice from INT?

Total damage is based on sum of matk and skillatk. Does that mean that for each point of INT clerics gain two ‘points of damage’ (one from m.atk and one from skillatk) or is this just a different conversion used to describe cleric skills?

I did some experimenting today with my Pyromancer and I thought I’d share my findings. Mostly it confirms what has previously been mentioned, but there are some fine details that I want to point out.

Mainly, I found there was an interesting interaction with stacking elemental attack modifiers in the damage formula. Here is what I wound up with for the basic magic attack damage formula:

MAtk - MDef + [ElementAtk * ElementModifier] + ... (for each element)

As an example, my current Magic Attack stat (wearing nothing) is 247. I hit a Yekubite (MDef 30) with my basic attack and it deals 217 damage (247 - 30). Very straightforward.

I put on some boots that give +9 Poison Attack. Yekubites are Ice element, and as Poison hits Ice for neutral, I now deal 226 damage (247 - 30 + 9). Still straightforward.

Still wearing the boots, I cast Enchant Fire for +24 Fire Attack. Ignoring the second hit from Enchant Fire, hitting the Yekubite now (or a fresh one since the first one is very dead by now) deals 262 damage (247 - 30 + 9 + 24*1.5). Note the 1.5 multiplier for hitting Ice with Fire.

The key takeaway here is that on the basic attack, elemental attack boosts are modified individually. The base damage is neutral elementless damage.

With skills though, things get kind of interesting. At first I assumed it would use the same formula and simply add the skill base damage, but experimentation yielded something slightly different. Here’s what I got:

(SkillDmg + MAtk - MDef + [ElementAtk * ElementModifier]...) * SkillElementModifier * AttributeEnhance

This is a mouthful, so let’s break it down in the same way. My Flame Ground is at 171 base damage per hit, and I have the Enhance attribute at Lv37. Naked cast yields 797 ((171 + 247 - 30) * 1.5 * 1.37, rounded down). Note that the skill’s elemental modifier is applied after both my Magic Attack is added and the enemy’s Magic Defense is subtracted.

Put on the +9 Poison boots. This time I hit for 815 ((171 + 247 - 30 + 9) * 1.5 * 1.37). It’s starting to get interesting, because the Poison attack bonus is converted into Fire damage along with my Magic Attack stat, which all gets sent into the 1.5 elemental modifier.

Here’s where it starts to get really silly. I cast Enchant Fire and try the Flame Ground again. I deal 889 damage. This stumped me for a while, until I figured out the elemental attack boosts also get their own elemental modifiers. The math is (171 + 247 - 30 + 9 + 24*1.5) * 1.5 * 1.37.

This double-counting of the elemental bonus doesn’t make any sense to me, but whether or not it was intentional those are the numbers that the game gives me. Feel free to try to replicate with your own skills and stats.

EDIT
I forgot to mention, but I did a bit of additional testing and confirmed that Magic Amplification ranges from +0% to +100% of the stat. I didn’t do extensive testing but presumably it goes with the rest of the flat attack buffs.

3 Likes

mmmh i didn’t read all post, but i have a doubt with “concentrate” as i did some test and with concentrate active my crit went up (concentrate lvl5 + 36 attribute level = 83 damage added) from 400-550 to 600-700.

yeah ive mentioned that a few times in other places but i guess i need to update the main post to reflect that.

do it without a weapon or your results are useless. i will tell you straight up 100% of the time people told me i was wrong was cause they just assumed doing 1 attack with their weapon on gave them a proper picture. take off your weapon and punch stuff till you crit record your crit and non crit punches THEN use concentrate and punch till you crit with concentrate on.

I do the test, here some pictures for example of each case:
NO BUFF - Without weapon

CONCENTRATE(lvl 5 +40 attribute) -Without weapon

here the icon buff dissapears but you can see the text of damage added at center

Maybe formula change for each class? idk

no you did your math wrong, its adding 89 damage that is not 83 x 1.5 you just dont know your concentrate or something. if concentrate was critting it would be adding over 120 damage.

Oh i understand, I just focused by the damage on my screen and i don’t figured that concentration adding static damage to my crit. thx

First of all thank you for the well explained post. However, I would like to ask if you have analyzed how the second strike behaves? Likely this doesn’t interest you that much, as a mage, but I can’t quite figure out the Sacrament damage, which is likely similar.

Secondary strike of my lvl5 Sacrament deals 47-50 damage. This gets me very confused. It is two times bigger than I would suspect (is it also affected by the ‘bonus damage’?). Moreover, I have no idea where does the variance come from. No weapon, no magic amp, min.atk = max.atk…

i am literally rolling a priest to 50 right now to try this. i will update my post soon

[quote=“Satoru, post:6, topic:65111”]
Level 10 it gives additional damage of 40 (the secondary hit) and +40 holy attack, which is applied to your normal and secondary hit. That is why it gives more damage than people would think.

Fire Enchant works the same.
[/quote]Idk why the damage has a natural little variance, tho.

From what we talked on the other topic, def would come before skill base damage? Or should we expect a lot of special cases? :frowning:

the order of these operations isnt relevant they are straight addition/subtraction. if your auto does 10 and your skill tooltip says 50 you do 60 if monsters def is 5 higher your auto will do 5 and your skill 55. any multipliers come after this, their order is yet to be determined.

But when we took the % of enhance attributes in, it made a difference. :confused:

I wish IMC released their data on this, lol. >_<

no you did the subtraction after multiplying. its basic math no matter which order you add or subtract you get the same result. thats why my formula has the brackets to denote that you add skill, atk, and subtract defenses as one function.

I did some testing with this since i was confused with the way you had element/type mod together, and during my testing it seems like element multiplier comes before type multiplier. All my testing was done with no weapon and the 9 poison atk boots, along with different swordmen type attacks (slash, stab, hit)

Sorry for the late reply, forums were dead.

As far as I could tell, the second hit from Enchant Fire is treated as an attack with base damage equal to the Enchant Fire boost. Notice how Enchant Fire’s tooltip says Fire Property Attack: +X and Additional Damage: +X. This is confusing naming, but what it seems to be doing is applying a second attack with the +X as the base attack damage (instead of magic attack), on top of which the Fire Attack (and other modifiers) are applied as normal.