Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Damage formula

The twenty character limit allows me to wholeheartedly thank you, instead of just typing ‘thx’.

EDIT: Also thank you to @ricegnat.

incoming damage from monsters seems to be calculated differently. thats next up on my testing, once ive compiled more data on individual skills. as far as your damage I am uncertain. probably is. I know there is also an evasion penalty for 6-10 and 10+ levels difference which is rather noticeable if you go full dex with all evasion gears. as soon as their name changes from red to white you see a huge change in your survivability.

An update on the Enchant Fire question. A little bit of testing yields the following:

(Enchant Fire Attack + [ElementAtk * ElementModifier]...) * FireElementModifier

Note that neither Magic Amplification nor enemy Magic Defense are included in this calculation.

It also seems that this particular calculation rounds weirdly compared to others, it seems to waver between rounding up and rounding down. Other calculations almost (keyword almost) always round down.

How is Ice Bolt calculated on enemies that are weak to ice?

On a normal Dumaro, the damage works out, it uses the same formula as Magic Bolt
((192 Matk + 200 Skill damage - 84 Mdef) * 1.5) * 1.05 from 5% attribute = 485.

Tried it on various monsters not weak to Ice, and the formula stayed the same. (The damage also splits in two like Magic Bolt)

But I do 665 damage total (consistently) on a Wendigo, which is weak to ice. Where do I place the x1.5 modifier from ice damage into this formula?
(((192 Matk + 200 Skill damage - 75 Mdef) *1.5) * 1.5) * 1.05 =/= 665

I have no Magic Amplification. I’m using a staff to test this and the Rod Mastery : Ice attribute is turned off for good measure.

Edit: Any other Ice attack goes through correctly. For Ice Pike I just multiply the damage by 1.5 then the attribute damage, and the number is correct. Ice Bolt just interacts with it quite strangely.

he i know this is a while ago but are you sure about this? i mean if this is true than there is no reason for an auto attack build every. might aswell pick up some cheap skill like thrust and keep it at level 1 with attribute 100 and spam it instead of auto attacking right? just so you get the 100% multiplier ontop of your normal auto attack damage.
or am i missing something?

No you’re not missing anything, this is correct. However, a lv100 attribute will cost you somewhere around 50 million silver in total, so…

Unfortunately I don’t know how Ice Bolt works. I wanna focus on my main character for now, but if I get some extra time I’ll make a new char and test out the Cryomancer skills.

alright dynemanti, i did alot of testing today and your formula seems about right.
Only thing i noticed is that the additional damage from sacrament is being multiplied by type damage and attribute damage when using skills. Even tho the tooltip says its additional damage. It’s a little inconsistent i guess cause with things like steady aim, or blessing it just adds flat damage even tho it says additional damage just like sacrament. The holy property attack does not affect skills at all i noticed atleast not the monk skills. Same goes for earth property attack from the cafrisun set. while just normal fire attack from arde dagger or poison attack form the quest boots does affect skills and gets multiplied by all multipliers except the crit one ofc.

I was wondering tho for anyone if they have a list with what kind of mobs are weak or strong against certain attacks? I was really confused at first when i started testing on some plant mobs in dvasia peak cause the damage and formula didn’t add up at all. A little later i realised that all strike damage was multiplied by 0.75 when hitting plant type mobs. I know it was the plant type and not the armor or size of the mob because i tested it on non plant mobs of the same armor type and size and they didn’t have this 0.75 multiplier. Anyway keep this in mind when testing things in game that don’t add up to the math.

I…actually just figured out Ice Bolt myself.

Ice Bolt’s built in damage modifier of 1.5 isn’t multiplicative with the elemental modifier. It’s additive.

So with both the built in modifier being 50%, and the elemental modifier being 50%, we get:

(192 + 200 - 75) * 2 * 1.05 = 665

So the full formula becomes:
(Matk + SkillAtk - MDef) * (Skill Modifier + Element Modifier) * Attribute

Hmm that change things

If Skill Modifier = 1.5, strong = 2.0, weak = 1.0 (double of weak)

If Skill Modifier = 1, strong = 1.5, weak = 0.5 (triple of weak)

Hmm, very interesting… I will have to do some experimenting with Meteor’s very confusing tooltip as well.

After noticing I currently do around 22k (!!) damage to a Harugal with a fully charged Meteor, I ran some quick guesstimates. It looks like the tooltip is (big surprise) somewhat misleading. That 400% mentioned is actually added to the rest of the multipliers, including the bonus 50% like Energy Bolt and Ice Bolt. Add that to the elemental bonus from dropping it on an ice type and you end up with a whopping 6x damage multiplier… before attribute damage.

I’ll have to run some more tests for exact numbers (a little hard to do with the 1min30s cooldown), but I put my stats through that calculation and I get a pretty accurate number (22373 damage). In a game full of linear scalings, that is an alarmingly large number!

Huh. Do all charging skills have a hidden 50% damage mod?

well if you build auto attack with lots of stacking linear damage. stuff that adds once per hit (“additional damage” and possibly +element damage from certain weapons) then using deeds of valor/double weapon assault will apply these a lot faster. also they wont consume a ton of SP. as for “additional _____ damage” where the blank is an element it seems to add an additional hit for that amount of element damage, only this additional hit counts as the element listed and is increased/reduced accordingly. however the other half of sacrament works exactly like blessing and adds the amount of damage to your attacks. the rub here is that both blessing and sacrament’s bonus damage are added to the additional elemental hits. same goes for enchant fire.

this is entirely unique from the “additional fire ATK” or other element ATTACK bonuses which are added in as if they were weapon damage (with the element modifier boosting it)

yeah sorry I’ve just started a new job and havent had much time to crawl the forums. from previous testing that someone posted it seems all magic’s element and “misc” multipliers add together rather than multiply. this includes things like increased damage from lethargy or stone curse. i don’t know if this is JUST for mages but right now they have the most varieties of multipliers so im getting a lot of reports that this is the case.

it might be that case with magic. i dont think it applies to ALL charged skills. but there aren’t a whole lot on the other classes ive played

At least cartar stroke is included in the charge +50% list

some1 phreaking increase archer’s normal attack damage!! jesus it took me ■■■■ long time to defeat a single boss!! or it might be just me being a noob since im not much of a mmorpg player…

are you certain? from my testing it was slightly different. dealing roughly 200% of what it should in all cases. maybe i have to go back and reset it with this information in mind.

YOu are a noob then.

As archer you need three things.
Dex.
Crit Atk.
A good weapon with gems.

I have 220 crit atk with only 60 str … and 110 dex on my level 110 archer. With rest in spr.
My crits rip bosses apart. And multishot is 16 atks+bonus damage… #

Single target arche ris the strognest… c3 archer that is.