Tree of Savior Forum

Fencer to overshadow Hoplites?

Now that we are going to have Fencer at rank 6, according to this post:

General kCBT3 Changes - Summary:

Does anyone feel that there is little need to go Hoplites now? Reasons being that:

• Fencers do Pierce damage for the majority of its attacks as well.
  • Fencer uses a rapier so it doesn’t synergize with Hoplite’s Finestra (which requires spears).
  • Fencer can use a shield or dagger as offhand as well (1H rapier + shield or 1H rapier + dagger)
  • Fencer’s skill damage is vastly superior to Hoplite’s skill damage.
  • Fencer’s Sept Etoiles has a 29 sec cooldown whereas Hoplite’s Stabbing has a 40 sec cooldown.
    (Source: http://www.tosbase.com/database/skills/11103/)
  • Fencer’s Attack Coquile ignores enemy’s pierce resistance with stronger damage and a 8 second cooldown whereas Hoplite’s Spear Lunge only makes enemies weaker to pierce damage with a 24 sec cooldown.
    (Source: http://www.tosbase.com/database/skills/11104/)

I’m struggling to find a need to go Hoplite now. I suppose it’s going to be the same when Dragoons come out, I guess it will overshadow Cataphracts too.

its no longer viable without savagery

but now at rank2 fencer you get this! (not available for now)

and were back in business Hoplite-Fencer.

but its a weaker version of savagery since you only get 1 double attack on next peirce skill…which

*hoplite skill peirce at rank2 will deal 14 hits to bosses with Preparation in 1 second

*in theory

Well, Fencers don’t have a gap closer like Hoplite does, I think.

but you still have to cast it

how far and fast can a fencer close the gap with which skills?

Just go both?

Hoplite synergies with other classes, and not so well with fencer, especially since all fencer skills require rapier and there aren’t a lot of good rapiers in-game so far.

Doesn’t really make sense to compare them tbh.

2 Likes

also jokes aside

Hoplite is a viable TANKY DPS all thanks to Finestra (Spear Only) that increases Crit and Block at the same time.

The Fencer cannot do that.

Dunno why u link this video, it’s back from early September when the broken Aggressor + Savagery was still in game.
They are long gone now.

Also we haven’t seen Fencer’s preparation in use yet, there’s nothing to say it will double the number of hits from Stabbing. For all you know it could possibly only double the first hit from Stabbing, in which case that would really suck…

Fencer has its survivability from increased evasion instead (Lunge) and Esquive Toucher, which is supposed to “avoid enemy attacks”

its hoplite skill piercing actually that i see the highest potential in burst damage amongst swodsman skills. i mean with savagery(then)/preparation you could in theory deal 14 hits in a split second. thats a huge amount of burst for a short amount of time.

Too much characters to do to play them all ^^

I find it pointless dwelling on broken skills that have been removed from the game, but whatever floats your boat mate :wink:

I dare say that Esquive Toucher is Fencer’s gap closer:

Well everyone say that the buffs have been removed but on the videos of barbarians when they do the new skills that are attacks and not buffs, it seems they get buffs on them for X sec after that.

hoplite can just pop a Finestra and done. crit up! block up!..since most hoplite will come from peltast they are going to have alot of block rate.

Combat wise hoplite are more survivable since their going to build with more or less CON for more Block rate and max HP. At the same time deal DPS from Finestra Buff.

Sure you can build a CON Fencer up to you.

New Barbarian skill Cleave’s +50% crit rate for 5 secs is nothing compared to what Aggressor and Savagery could do before.
Aggressor’s attribute gave something ridiculous like 4X crit damage on top of the crit rate increase, which is why you see those huge numbers in that video.
And they were buffs that lasted a long time, not just a mere 5 secs per cast

Aggresor has perfect HIT! as its main skill description!

NEVER MISS! = no such thing as evasion!

I’d imagine pro fencers would try and time Lunge and more importantly Esquive Toucher properly instead of dumping heaps of points on CON.

thats the problem you dont want to move out of position in these similar complex raids. the main tank has the aggro to keep everyone else in the strategy safe.

else it ends up as this

a Hoplite can stand their ground! thnx to finestra the hoplite can still deal DPS while staying tanky.

while a fencer has to move out of the way to survive! and ruin the strategy

1.Fencer loses slash damage elements… Hoplite can get both Slash and Pierce type of Damage with dual wielding… Sword + Spear…That is pretty huge loss for fencer…

1. As FatePGN said Hoplite synergies with other classes… Corsairs, Cata for example.

2. Yeah Etoiles has a 29 sec cooldown but look how much Sp it eats 124 sp! That a lot for average skills!

3. Attack Coquile has also cooldown for Pierce resistance same as Spear lunge.It has not just listed here yet.

Evasion from Dex wont save you from magic attacks higher max HP from CON will!

1 Like