Tree of Savior Forum

Feedback about the game : More than disapointing

Ro, the perfect and beloved grind game is alive and with 5mil + subs, right?

The game leveling system is just fine, they just need fix things here and there.

Overall agree with OP. I’ll just add my two cents while I’m at it.

I think the game could have been better if it were overall more fast-paced :
For example, right now when you fight a boss, 99% of the time you’re simply casting all your spells on it, then run around it so that he doesn’t get out from your attacks, and wait for your cooldowns, with a couple of basic attacks if your character is strong enough to bother doing so. What saddens me is that this very simple “strategy” works for nearly every single boss. The boss AI is basically stupid and isn’t even trying to kill you, it looks like it has given up fighting against you already. Well to be honest, if my character was THAT slow, I would have tilted/given up too lmao

I honestly believe it is because of two major things : the delay between some bosses’ actions is far too high (literally 5sec+ on each attack ? I know some of us are wizards but COME ON). I could expect a recovery time from them after a huge spell, alright, but recovering for like… a punch that won’t even push you back is just… nah.

Also, they rely too much / only on spells. Spells that don’t even deal this much damage sometimes, you don’t even bother dodging because it would be faster to just endure it and keep going to end this chore ASAP. I think it would be fun if some of them actually had autoattacks too, I bet peole wouldn’t just be spinning around if the boss kept jabbing their faces over time and might actually fall back and use their brains. Or their teammates. Cuz yeah being with a team isn’t that necessary like 95% of the time, unless you went full support.

Also just like OP said, there are far too many “boss battles” to make them memorable, and some of them are just bluntly recycled (pretty sure I’ve fought multiple times the weird mushroom, Chafer clones, Bramble clones and so on. Very disappointing for Bramble specifically since it’s supposed to be a memorable point of your quest, for whoever cares about the lore e.e).

Actually this is true for most monsters, when you try to mob train, if you don’t have Peltasta’s Swash Buckling, or Kirvis’ Aukuras, or basically any AoE taunt, the logic option is to hit the monster by yourself. Fine.
But why do they react only like FIVE seconds after we hit them, mobbing is sometimes so slow you would just rather kill them 1 by 1 instead, which is sad because everyone loves that feel when you kill tons of mobs :frowning: !

This is pretty much what bothers me the most (after the obviously flawed stat system, but there are already 04958395 topics on that), even with fun, original game mechanics, I still manage to get bored while fighting because the fight itself isn’t entertaining.

also amen to this.

4 Likes

Said everything, agreed 100%

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly.

The main thing about Ro was Freedom to do what you wanted, Mob lower level monsters, kill higher level monsters 1 by 1, or party to mob higher level monsters. Maybe just party and everyone goes to different parts of the map to 1 v 1 monsters. Or not level up, just go farm gear/cards and get exp without penalties.

I do feel too, that the fact that you could give better gear to your other characters made it so replaying the game was more fun, IMO. I loved getting every weapon in the game just so when i wanted to create a swordman or thief or acolyte, i would have elemental weapons / magic weapons / carded weapons to go along with wherever i wanted to level up.

And the excitement of seeing that shield / weapon / card on the floor and hoping it was what you were farming the last 3 days. Opening 100 Dead Branches, or getting that manteau to +8.

I do believe Auction houses are an Economy Destroying machine though. For one it takes on the excitment of checking store by store hoping to find what you want. Sometimes you don’t find what you want but find something cheap, a bargain, and that does not happen with an AH.

If you want to control inflation, you need to reduce they way money is “created” by reducing the drop % and selling prices to npc of gear. Also, reduce how much money higher level players make compared to lower levels.Then add a money dump that is exciting and fun and not a task, like Deadbranches, just things that can be Random, a weekly Lottery or W/e.

1 Like

90% of people couldn’t play it because of insane lag. Also was not FTP, and most of us were what, 14? 10?

If you sum up everyone who played ro in the last few years in “free” servers i would say 5mill sounds about right, to say the least.

It does though.
This game even have “recently listed”

You didn’t need levels beyond 90 for most classes,they were just a bonus, but you would need to hit the cap at least once to transcend, the main reason for farming after this would be gear and most of the time after that point you would be:

1 - Farming gear
2 - Farming cards
3 - Farming money because screw 0.01% rates
4 - Botting

Many times you would hit the cap before finishing the ideal gear for your class, and this is excluding god items and MVP/miniboss cards.

And at this point, I’m pretty sure we won’t have all the levels available from the start, we will be playing with the cap at 200~300 for a while before new content is released.

EDIT:

Ragial.

what i would like to add is that more than anything i want dungeons to be not only more, but better.
i’d like dungeons to be quest related (part of the main story line) and challenging. and i’d like them to be worth doing, cause right now most people just skip them all together.
would be nice if dungeons had more than 1 boss, and if those bosses had more difficult mechanics, but also better drops: equipment/weapon/accessories.

First off, thank you for your feedback.
Although it was a lot, I enjoyed reading every part of it because it brought up some core issues.
I won’t write a story relating to your review, but one point you made sticks out to me the most.

The thing I agree with you the most is about attribute points. You’re absolutely right. I hate to say but, but it’s pretty messed up. INT is the most useless stat point by far. Adding the +1 min +1 max is hardly worth it. Might as well put it into SPR for more spam casting (at first thought quickcast was useless, but starting to see going straight SPR and CON is WAYYY better since INT doesnt do anything). Archers have been going SPR builds to spam skills because they run out of sp SO fast. The attribute system is just dissapointing. I don’t feel like I’m really contributing to my char in the longrun.

Im glad to see you are reading this kind of feedback.
Most of the ones i have seen are just petty complains of superficial matters, but this one goes to the core of most people’s worries.

It doesn’t mean the game is bad by any means, i would play the hell out of it as it is now, but as stated, we want this game to be played for years to come, and it clearly has the potential to be the next big hit.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with you, expecially the part about linearity and the useless of the supoort classes. Is enought to go full barbarian with tons of potions and you can level up solo till the end.
Sociality in this game matter zero.The old amazing times of RO will never come back unfortunately, this game is just another korean clone wirth insane and redundant grind and nothing more.

A generic brawler will bea huge waste for such beautyfull graphic and design. T_T

ps: making field bosses and mobs more challenging so people rely more on parties (expecially healers and tankers) is a good step in the right direction.

1 Like

Nice point. In RO, every tenpeat (10 points) we earned an awesome buff to the said stats, like damage, crit or evasion. In ToS this could be implemented, since the game has a long run (over 400 levels), making this buffs available in every 10 points spent would be awesome in the long run. Please, notice also:

Int = Affects spell potency, not godam* auto-attacks.
Str = Auto attacks and physical skills hits harder
Dex = Increase evasion, critical rate, CD, and sort of atk spd, while evasion and crit need some rework to make it not so appealing as of now.

Other Stats are fine though, but could still receive some kind of buff when reaching 10 points.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Although i would argue is just not enough.
Still maybe is just the Interface of the AH - Party - Quest system that feels really weird and “slow” (too big so you can see little information at the time).

I played a priest 2 -> paladin up to level 90 and I wanted to contribute some thoughts.

I largely agree with all of OP’s points and, though I can’t really comment on higher level content, it’s already very clear a lot of these problems exist due to poor design.

Specifically, I’m concerned that the amount of content in the game is stretched way too thin, with barely 2 o 3 viable maps at any point of a character’s leveling, rarely 4 if there is a dungeon available. It’s not that there is little content, just looking at the world map you can see there must be upwards of 80 areas, not counting locations with multiple floors. But all these maps are stretched over 300+ levels so that you are almost completely forced to go through every single one of them (and their quests) with an instanced dungeon placed every 40 or so levels (which are essentially glorified party-exclusive grinding spots. No interesting mechanics at all, not even plot).

Given these limited options, players inevitably flock to the handful of efficient grinding spots they have available which get overcrowded, turning the grind into a killstealing competition (just check Royal Mausoleum F2 or Tenet Chapel F2). These issues could be somewhat lessened if there were more dungeons, say every 20 levels, or if we could request new channels on demand, but by that point we are playing Diablo 3 or GW1 instead of an MMO.

This content stretching is obvious if you make a new character and try to avoid maps/content you have already seen. You will find it’s completely impossible. This is not as easy to solve as tweaking the stat formulas or re-balancing skills to scale properly and remain useful.

It literally makes it boring to create new characters.

4 Likes

I agree with this topic 100%. Well done bro, you have written what me and a lot of other players had felt playing in this beta.

And one question, are we going to have more levels or more maps in this game? If we count, I’m sure we have more levels right now. See the problem?

First of all, I had to say that this is still close beta (not open beta as you mentioned) as the game is still in development/progressing so you can take a breather.

EXP: I agree this might be lacking especially starting from 70+ or so, giving only around 0.1% (weaker mobs with the same level, some elite gives you 0.5% to 1.0% but of course much harder to kill). Considering the game has 250 level (birdie told me that the game will have 600 level), make it in somewhat between easy and hard so there’ll be a longer gameplay the least.

Bosses: Some agree and disagree. I have nothing much against recycled bosses as you can’t really expect they have to make thousands of different bosses, starting from sketching to programming. That’s a long road to take and will pushed the game released to 3-5 years or more. But what I have something against is that you can’t redo the bosses. That saddens me actually. Bosses are supposed to be memorable and makes you wanna fight again and again, getting those pesky ingredients or some rare weapon to make you not look like a peasant. Plus I’ve noticed that the game has just too much bosses, way too much. If it were mini bosses, well I get the point but, there are just too many darn bosses. It felt plain whenever I fought them because I met them too often. If IMC are going to make a boss, make a mini bosses and big bosses so we can differentiate between those two. Also, the bosses are too quiet, they just roar and charge in like a mindless brute. I would prefer if they at least talk either from voices or text to make it somewhat alive and entertaining (Before and After the scene).

Quest: Neutral. Have nothing against the quest as they are the main story line. However if IMC thought to make a better one, throw in some puzzle or make a different one than kill x mobs or find this item. Surely that’ll make it even more interesting with more diversity.

EXP Penalty: Disagree. As far as I know (judging from ToSbase info and Korean version), EXP scale up accordingly. When you are killing a high level mob with the same level, yes you might get like 0.1% but remember that you have a large EXP pool so nothing weird about that. If it were removed, wouldn’t just level 1 character teleport (or walk) to the high level area, party up and get a free massive boost in leveling without giving them much trouble, rinse and repeat with any level as long as there are high leveled mobs.

Maps monster do no damage: Disagree. They do considerable amount of damage to me around my level. The weak ones that died in one or two hit gives less exp (acceptable) and the harder ones gives you about the same or more.

Party: Partly disagree. They are not totally useless as I feel it’s more entertaining in grinding with more people than just one. If it’s something IMC could do to make more benefits of party, do something such as a EXP bonus for 3 people or more to encourage people. I do agree on part where Clerics needs a buff to say the least.

Stats: Agree. Stats growth and adding stats needs to be adjusted accordingly especially at base stats. Maximize every classes potential as they supposed to be. For example Archer should have a high DEX base and growth. Of course the whole class system needs to be tweaked along with their skills and all to make it more of on what they should be and excel at.

Towns: Partly Disagree. However if changed it to a small village along the way then make it to the another town at level 100, that’s more plausible. Towns are big, seeing them too often would be boring and kills the town ‘feel’. Kinda like that safe or satisfied feeling after not seeing one for so long.

Item Level-locked: Agree. They should be more diverse here, having them level-locked kills the enjoyment and surprise. That would make everyone anticipated “Oh next one would be on level 120, guess I’m not missing anything along the way”. Not sure why MMO’s started to use that kind of system, it’s just plain dumb.

Also, I prefer not to have this game having the same ‘feel as RO’. If it were that way, why bother going through all the trouble making a new one rather than just continuing the RO storyline. I prefer this to have it’s own feel, making it’s own league, and having it’s own difference and uniqueness, topping RO finally.

It is quite easy to use.
It’s quite enough, and you don’t need to AFK or create another account to sell your loot, so anyone can make money. It’s real convenient, that’s why it’s almost mandatory on every MMO nowadays.

You should test it sometime soon.

Well, i can tell that if you form a party you did have a EXP Bonus depending on party members:

Exp Test

Better explained on that link

I ment that you can see around 5-10 items at a time so you need to scroll though alot of pages.

I do know how they work but i still consider they kill the economy, having “perfect information” makes it so inflation goes to the roof, because everyone knows what’s gonna sell for how much and how many of an item exists in the market.

But not all players are playing a game for the endgame content. Thats what keeps an game alive. You are right it’s an important aspect. But when you have to “survive” 200 Levels of boringness and linearity to have some fun and possibilities in endgame, then a game is broken in my opinion ~