Tree of Savior Forum

[DropPerKill] Drop rate system- DPK- Explained [Updated]2

Which mob you test?

20/char

So, since people here are so knowledgeable about DPK…
What’s the rate of DPK drops ?
Something like :

• GemDPKcount/3 : Red Orb
  • GemDPKcount/3*2 : Blue Orb
  • GemDPKcount : Gem

Or is the distribution different ?

FYI Jolly Roger can loot items that are allegedly DPK. I’ve even gotten monster orbs from it, but never a monster gem. It doesn’t seem to reset the DPK when it happens, either, the normal kill drops continue to come at regular intervals.

When it came to grinding infrorocktors, red orbs, blue orbs, and monster gems had the same kill count requirement (10,000 kills +/- ((10,000 kills) * (5 to 10%))).

I obtained 9 red orbs, 9 blue orbs, and 8 monster gems (but I witnessed 9 gems drop–another archer obtained my gem at around the 70,000 kill mark). Each of the red orbs, blue orbs, and gems dropped within about 500-1000 kills of each other every 10,000 kills.

3 Likes

Wow that’s so… retarded.
Half-assed design. Now I wonder why I was expecting something else :>

They really need to make DPK counts NOT reset every maintenance/crash/whatever.

Edit: To avoid possible misinformation, I would like to advise that it was not 100% to the dot 250 kills. In a sample of 750 Deadborn Scap Magicians (in 1 channel), I secured 3 pieces of Melinas Staff. The 1st drop was a baseline, XXX number of kills later the 2nd dropped, which had a 250 difference which I used to infer when the 3rd would drop and IT DID drop after another 250+/- more were killed. I was too excited when I made this post but I would not edit out my original statement below:

Just chiming this one in: I farmed for Melinas Staff and got a staff at exactly every 250 kills without a hitch. I secured a total of 3 pieces which I now have up for trade here (Varena).

2 Likes

i have a question , so does that means that every item relies on DPK? or maybe there’s a slight chance that it will drop (ignoring the DPK)?

Let’s just say , i am looking for agvara cannon recipe , it has roughly 4k+ DPK (most people say it drops around 4k kills) , is there a chance that it will drop at 1k? and also if i’m an archer , will the DPK be halved? (since it’s not a cannon , but a recipe for a cannon)

Not all items are on DPK (this is why some stuff drop right after each other on occasion).

If a 4K DPK item were to drop on your 1000th kill, that would mean that in that channel specifically, the previous 3000 kills were done by someone else (questers/passersby/etc). This DOES NOT MEAN only one (1) person did all of the prior needed kills as it is cumulative and channel based.

Edit (added image): Here’s me getting the Thornball Gem in 2 kills. I entered the map (CH1), killed the first two Thornballs I saw and it dropped. I can only assume that since I entered the most passed by channel, a lot of these have been killed already OR worse, I may have rained on someone else’s parade.

This is also why someone along the line suggested that you can basically reap another person’s work if they were farming specifically for a DPK item (which sucks).

I still prefer pure RNG (as I stated in one of my earlier post) because the feeling of “luck” is much for satisfying than counting numbers.

The values (amount of kills) that most contributors provided were on a SOLO channel attempt for X item. You can check if the channel is empty (except for you) via an add-on.

3 Likes

What class are you? wizard, archer, swordman or cleric?

Has anyone tested the approximate droprate for Venier? I’ve never farmed it before but I did so today on my Corsair and holy ■■■■ Jolly Roger is OP, I feel like Jolly Roger just rolls a loot drop every time it procs (and drops silver if it doesn’t roll an item drop) while ignoring the DPK calculation.

What this implies to me that it isn’t actually DPK at all, but rather PRD - so it starts out possible, but extremely improbable, to drop an item on the first kill, and ramps up exponentially until it hits the count where it becomes increasingly improbable that it won’t drop.

1 Like

I don’t have experience with Jolly Roger, however, I can say that DPK items are at least 90% DPK based (with about a +/- 10% max variance from the base value, and this value could even be as small as 5%–I need to do more testing), but I could see Jolly Roger potentially being something else entirely, and I may create a Corsair just to play around with it.

As for the variance part that occurs on DPK items, that value could likely have PRD elements to it, or it could just be an added/subtracted RNG value picked from -10% to +10% of the base). It is pretty much what @kyokahn said:

Although, I believe this value may be more likely closer to +/- 5% (5% below to 5% above the base). However, the exact percentage can easily be calculated through farming.

If I would have been more thorough when keeping track of kill values when farming for the white boater, I would have a very large sample to work with (570 rod and 571 club drops), but I was more preoccupied with attempting to verify the boater’s existence and the 100,000 kill claim.

Regarding the rod and club drops, I should mention that their drop pattern tells me that the drop conventions are primarily DPK based (for DPK items), and this is because I never obtained two rods or two clubs back-to-back. However, I believe that it could have happened if the drop cycles crossed over each other due to the variance portion of the system, but it never occurred once. Now, a rod and a club did drop at exactly the same time when the cycles were extremely close to one another, and this is something that only happened once (excluding shiny mobs, of course).

Anyway, an easy way to get a very close approximation to the exact percent range for the variance portion would be to farm simple equipment items, and preferably on a map where nobody is around, while also making sure to take note of what class you are due to #6 at the top of the thread. Finally, all that is left is keeping count of the kill count between your targeted item(s).

After obtaining a large sample of kill count data:

1. Calculate the average value (the DPK base value).
  2. Pick the maximum value or the minimum value.
  3. Subtract either the average from the maximum or the minimum from the average.
  4. Finally, divide that value by the average, and you’ll know the +/- percentage.

Edit: It is extremely important to be on a map where there are hardly any people. Otherwise, the results can easily be skewed. Infrorocktors are ideal because they spawn in such a small area.

Oh, and I see that is your reddit thread. I’ll definitely be creating a Corsair to play around with it. I like what I see.

This is interesting. So, it dropped at exactly 250 kills every time (no variance)? I’m going to assume that is the case.

I’ll need to do more tests elsewhere.

1 Like

@Bald_Dad I was using a Lv140 Cleric2-Krivis3

@Takemi I definitely provided an erroneous statement. My bad. Reading back on what I mentioned, I did not take into account anyone that could’ve killed some of the Deadborn Scap Magicians beforehand. I took my values straight up from how many more monster kills were added to my kill count. Which oddly enough, finished up at a nice figure of 750 (probably with some slight variation). After I got the first one, I counted the difference to the second one (250) and then I projected the occurrence of the third one to fall right around my 500th kill (which it did), thus my assumption (albeit not 100% accurate).

I was a little too eager to chime in now that I think about it. Needless to say, the fact that I knew that the item I was looking for was probably DPK-based (just due to the rarity / not a single one in the broker), made me confident that I would be able to secure it.

Lo and behold, I got a total of 3 pieces and they all pretty much dropped at the moment I was expecting them to.

It got to a point that I didn’t bother (ignored outright) to look at the loot when it made “the sound” because I knew it was not yet the right time.

1 Like

Oh, no problem. I just thought I’d double check on the kill count to make sure. I can definitely understand being eager about wanting to share your DPK experience, and thanks for sharing it by the way.

1 Like

@Takemi No problem and thanks for understanding. :blush:

I don’t know what’s sadder, me quoting myself or the fact that the “chime” which used to alert me of “good loot” is now just another thing I really couldn’t care about if the DPK threshold was not yet reached.

1 Like

I cant make heads or tails of all this dpk speculation, all I know is ive been farming socket horns, grand cross recipes, rapid bangle recipes, and hunter bangle recipes for 3 months pretty regularly and I tend to see them in the same time frame, and ceratin drops have a pattern. When I farm grand cross recipe I almost always get 3 magnus gloves recipes, then my GC recipe. All I can take away from this massive theory thread is; when you get the drop you wanted, switch channels.

The way DPK is implemented right now is unacceptable.

• It resets on maintenance (Maybe crashing channels resets the value as well, couldn’t confirm) which makes it literally impossible to farm gems like Zaibas gem (Good luck killing 10k Large Panto Spearman)
  • You hate seeing other players (In an MMO…) because they could potentially ruin your efforts
  • You’re forced to KS other players to deny their chances
  • Other players can abuse this system and stalk you to steal it when it’s about to drop (This WAY EASIER than you think)

This system needs to be reworked. Add a chance for DPK items to drop on every kill and nobody would complain.

To prove my point that you are able to predict drop times:

I was able to STEAL, yes, STEAL a gem somebody else was farming that week and was really close at stealing a second gem (Two channels had a person farming it).
I checked the channels occasionally and was able to estimate the day the gem would drop. I knew from personal experience that you can kill around 300 monsters per hour.

Cropped the images so they don’t take up too much space:

Blue Orb dropped. Note that I didn’t kill 2,949 archers that day, I started at around 2,600, so minimum effort.

Red Orb dropped shortly after. I was a bit surprised because I thought it’d take another 500 kills but oh well.
Asked a friend to help me secure the gem.

Well, it didn’t drop for myself and he accidentally picked it up so I had to trade it but oh well… I can just steal another one with barely any effort.

TL;DR: ToS’ Drop System is DISGUSTING and ANTI-SOCIAL, PLEASE CHANGE IT!!
I don’t want to be a thief but the system wants me to be one…
Sorry to the person I stole this gem from!

Tagging staff to raise awareness:
@STAFF_Max @STAFF_John @STAFF_Ines @STAFF_Ethan @STAFF_Amy @GM_Francis @GM_Sebastian @hkkim

8 Likes

could you provide a general breakdown of the dpk for the running shot gem from the deadborn scap archer in kings plateau, you seem to have a good idea of it specifically, I am farming it in an empty channel after maintenance so I know I have to start from scratch, wondering the general # needed assuming no-one else passes through and gets it, what items drop prior, blue orb etc, thank you

but then if we have that DPK rule.
I got 4-5pcs of Ginkgo leaf

from Blue Fragaras which says here that only 1% drop rate?

i killed 6-7 of that monster then it drop 2 leaf then killed again then 2-3leaf? -_-

If this DPK conspiracy is true than DPK for Wizard Bracelet is 1000 Kills
Was alone on whole channel right after server restart
It dropped at 1k (was easy to count as I was never there with that character)
Also got 7 Superior Key pendant, much less than I usualy get when I contest spawns with someone else.

Couldnt check it on other channel as ppl started slowly trickle in and couldnt be bothered to contend with them (advantage of being only one there was recycling spanws only in small area so if DPK was true only place monster with item I wanted could appear was my farm)

As you can see by my kill count for Deadborn Scap Archer, I have way less than 10,000 kills which I would claim is the DPK value for EVERY monster gem, but that is hard to confirm of course.
I have yet to farm it completely from 0 to 10,000 and I’m not sure if I ever will, knowing that my gem could get stolen by a random player…

DPK values (±5-10% random value added after every drop):

• Hard Veris Gloves: 100 DPK

• Sestas Crossbow: I couldn’t confirm but it is definitely higher than 2,000 maybe even around 5,000, who knows.
    Hard to determine this one because I have never farmed enough archers to drop another one

• Deadborn Scap Archer Gem: 10,000 DPK

• Blue and Red Orbs: I’m still not a 100% certain but they share around the same DPK value as the gem but TEND to drop a bit sooner than the gem.
    I you see an orb drop then keep at it because the monster gem is, at max, 1,000 kills away OR you actually missed it by a few hundred kills because of variance.

Some other tips:

• Other players CAN and WILL try to steal the gem from you
  • Keep track of the kills
  • You should finish a large part of the kills (1,000 to 1,500) on the last day so random players killing a few monsters every day can’t accidentally drop it when you’re offline
  • Get some help when it’s about to drop because you really don’t want to let your efforts to go to waste.
    I didn’t cover all four spawn areas the first time I did this and somebody else got the gem, so DON’T RISK ANYTHING if you actually want to farm it all the way from zero to 10,000.

I hope this helps.

@faterue
Ginkgo Leaf is a regular item with a random chance to drop (1% chance), nothing wrong here.
It is a bit confusing but this has already been explained multiple times in this thread:

DPK items in tosbase are marked with ?%, probably because the DPK values couldn’t be datamined (Most likely because it’s checked server side).

This only applies to monsters up to level 200(?) or around that level because drop tables were removed from the client files before new monsters were added.
That’s why you only see ?% chances on level 200+ monsters even though some or most of those drops are not DPK, the actual chance is just unknown.

2 Likes