Tree of Savior Forum

Double punch should NOT be ping reliant

It’s hard enough to play with high ping to have your DPS crippled by it too. The monk class will never be balanced if some players can do twice as much damage as others only because of their ping, not to mention double punch is the only decent DPS skill they have.

Also, if it stays this way, any balance change will take into consideration the 30 ms ping any korean has on their server while here the average in the rest of the world is way higher, permanently crippling this class.

Please note that this thread isn’t regarding balancing the class, nor how bad is to play with a high ping. It’s about a toxic mechanic that comes from the spammability of double punch that needs to be addressed in order to diminish the drawbacks from high ping and balancing the class.

6 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Hopefully we’ll see some improvements, even with good ping ( under 100 ms ), I find the game well… Laggier than I would like long term. ( This is generally mostly noticable due to noticable latency after using abilities, animation lock, or them outright locking until they fail and don’t do anything. )

I don’t think iToS has the stability kToS has atm, but I haven’t played kToS personally so, hard to judge.

1 Like

You just can’t “get used to” having this crappy liability. It’s not too hard to see that because it needs to be spammed, double punch suffers a lot more than other skills, and that’s what I’m addresing here. Just because having high ping is unavoidable doesn’t mean the game needs to make it worse.

There are many possible workarounds to this. E.g.: give it a small cooldown and adjust the damage accordingly, allow the skill to buffer some iterations at a certain speed, nerf it to oblivion and give the class some other reliable DPS skills. It’s not rocket science.

I’m not complaining about high ping itself. I’m just saying that this skill in particular is 2 or 3 times worse than the average ToS experience when played with more than 30 ping.

2 Likes

@Anibe No offense or anything, but he’s right, it’s a zero second cooldown that’s spammable, high ping people are gonna fall behind.

If you know your ping is subpar, this might be something you take into concideration in your long term class choices. IMC isn’t going to change all class mechanics just to cater to folks who have bad ping.

What you can expect to improve is class balance and server stability, if those aren’t the things you’re looking for well. I’d suggest picking something you’d have more fun with rather than waiting for a dream.

Edit: If anything, it’d be neat if they’d make different playstyles (in the form of various skill builds) for said classes that would be viable for higher ping players, like, not double punch sorta deal.

2 Likes

I don’t think the DP is effected by the player but by the game.I got 23 ms and I can’t go that fast.Perhaps is a patch that the Ktos got and we didn’t receive it yet.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

its worse in korean games coz devs dont give a ■■■■ about good netcode due to everyone having a ping of 20 or less…

afaik its been slightly changed for iTOS

Every skill shouldn’t be reliant on ping. Same goes to many wizard’s spell that can be instant cast but couldn’t because of the latency.

It’s not every skill, just the ones without cooldowns.

Ofc everything is affected, just not to the significant extent as mentioned above.

Try casting a spell, after if you don’t wait for a while after fully casting it, your spell will fail when you have high ping. Same goes with many instant cast spell such as Sleep and Lethargy.

I don’t get this problem after switching to SEA with 30 ms ping anymore.

Given this happens frequently even to people WITH good ping.

This has more to do with server stability at the moment.

This happens all the time to me and I have under 100 ping, pretty sure plenty others could agree the same if they cared enough to speak up.

1 Like

Problem is it doesn’t seem like the client allows you to buffer actions. You should be able to mash the key and get your next input to the server before the first animation is even complete.

This affects everyone who doesn’t live on the east coast in america for example. The best ping I can hope for living on the west coast is around 100ms which varies from 80something all the way up to 120 or 130 depending on the time of day and amount of jitter. This weekend it has been all the way up to 300ms because of the server congestion.

So yea action queue or internal global cooldowns are the only hope for. I’ve already had to cancel my first 3 builds because I see how latency will make me hate my life.

I’ll necro my own thread because this seems to be more relevant than ever. With the new balance changes it’s literally impossible to deal reasonable DPS on high ping. Also applies to any aspd related classes like some archers.

I get why koreans don’t care about the issue, but iToS is still a thing you know…

Aka make the skill worse for everyone else because your connection is bad?

That seems like poor logic.

1 Like

This is a major problem and if you look at videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVSro2Iyeo&t=1467s
You can see that monk has potential to be a top dps but ping and other issues really screw with the class…

Also I don’t attack as fast as other monks like in these videos and I have a steady 16ping outside of towns…

u see how his ping went up by a lot but the punches didnt slow down?

That is not his ping by the way. It is related to the FPS. Ping is only checked with the //ping command.