Tree of Savior Forum

Design Breakdown - Rune Caster

WARNING - This thread isn’t made for new players or those that seek guidance on how to use said class, please look for proper threads regarding it such as class overviews and build guides. Design Breakdown is a design discussion thread only and has no purpose to help players on practical aspects of the game.

Starting another Design Breakdown with the real hidden class poll winner, the class with the most exquisite skill kit in the game and that references norse culture - Rune Caster. In case this is your first time on a Design Breakdown topic go to this link for some basic information.

Rune Caster - RANK 6 - ATTACK

“Rune Casters are wizards who use ancient symbols imbued with magic. Although it takes some time to draw energy from the symbols, they contain enormous power.”

Identity, Hidden Classes and Value

Hidden Classes don’t follow the same rules as regular classes, that isn’t only due the requirements to unlock but rather the fact they have to be done for a single rank. This alone forces them to have 5 skills (or 25 points) to take as it can’t go further, it keeps it in the average point distribution of 60% as from c1 to c3 the point allocation is at the minimum at 75%, 60% and 52%.

With so few skills it is hard to develop an identity that can be held by a theme in the same model that works for regular classes, there’s no room for relief skills or for specialization itself, and as they require long and harsh quests it is hard to make them attractive. That wouldn’t be the case if they bend the rules and make those classes skills capped at lvl 3 or 4 and have more basic skills but that can be overwhelming to deal with and having multiple hidden classes will easily consume an unneeded amount hotkeys.

The ideal way to deal with them is to turn them into classes of pure identity skill but that also funels the player base that would take them. It can be used as an excuse to give them to dominate an aspect of the game and make them mandatory to deal with game content and that would go against their own nature of exclusivity, not to say that depending on direction it can make it super unpopular and devalue class vouchers drastically.

Given those factors Hidden Classes are often broad unspecialized classes that have one or two gimmicks to be used in combination with other classes, or in some cases restrict class synergy, and this approach makes them more niche even not due their identity. That said no Hidden Class will be addressed on potential identities for the breakdown, instead they’ll have a Potential Identity segment at the end.

The word rune comes from proto-germanic and means letter, secret or mystery, and the historical side of them takes the first interpretatio. Also known as futharks, the runes were an alphabet composed by 24 characters divided into 3 groups, and were developed by norse and germanic groups prior to the viking age. Their lack of curves was a technical limitation as only hard materials were available to use as writing vessels and carving curves wasn’t nearly as easy as straight lines.

Each rune carried a philosophical and magical interpretation, the character and sound would often represent a deity or religious concept in the self, and this lead them to be used on fortune telling and to cast their powers. It’s known that english was influenced by runes as magic and writing are tied up, the most noticeable example is with ‘spell’ as it can be used both to communicate the execution of magic and to teach how a certain word is written. In fact in many fantasies the spell casting is done by having concepts, that can be rune, glyphs or even words, to be arranged on a specific order to produce magic, and that may be how norse magicians done their works.

Runes were also used on fortune telling, the person has to ask a question so the reader will get a rune blindly from a bag and interpret the meaning it has. Some sources point out that runes have to be rolled out as well as they can be aligned or opposed and that changes the meaning from positive, or in some instances a warning or trial, to negative. Taking those elements in consideration the Rune Caster class seems to be a blend of magic and fortune telling that takes 5 out of those 24 runes to express their powers.

As the Rune Caster itself isn’t as important on this breakdown we’ll focus on the runes and their meanings on the thematic aspect, each rune has several meanings and that can be changed if it is on the standard position or if is reversed or in horizontal. As an interesting design choice the class icon bears all runes used by the class.

It may be interesting to check Wizard’s breakdown as Rune Caster deals with casting mechanic and that was already discussed there under Quick Cast.

Rune of Destruction (C)

Hagalaz or Hagal, translated as Hail or Hailstone, is a rune that is tied to catastrophe, destruction, regression, disruption and chaos, and in the magical aspect can destroy those same elements. On rune reading it can mean loss, disaster, correction, revolution and change, and when opposed it relates to catastrophe, suffering, hardship, weakness and blame. By using the same execution as Elementalist’s Meteor it goes for a direct representation of destruction and even brings collateral damage after the impact.

Rune of Destruction is a confusing skill. At first is seems like a straight up damage skill on an area but it carries a lingering effect that isn’t informed, in fact there’s no sight of targeting method nor how the damage carries over after the explosion. As any casting skill it also suffer from the binary nature of it and it would be interesting to change it into something more flexible.

To work around the casting limitation it’s possible to have the lingering effect changed into a debuff that makes enemy explode when they die, that can be tied to the casting time and allow it to be used faster, another option is to reduce have the hitbox based on casting instead.

Rune of Ice (D)

Known as Isaz, Isa, Is, and Ice this rune represents stagnation, preservation and cold, it’s believed that the use of this rune in magic is to stop a process or to reach a primal aspect. For divinations it can mean challenge, frustration, rest, self control and lack of motivation, and when in opposition it can be read as blindness, dullness, immobility, treason, illusion and betrayal. Rune of Ice goes for the straight forward approach and takes the Ice aspect of it.

Niche skills are always interesting to have but a hidden class isn’t the best place to do it. Rune of Ice is a skill that affects only Cryomancer, slightly Elementalist and at single skill of Onmyoji, knowing that there’s a whole class dedicated to ice magic already it’s hard to picture it being useful elsewhere in the future. The other troublesome component of it that the leveling factor is duration and that makes it binary to level, not to say it has no floor on it.

To deal with the duration and niche aspects of it it’s possible to add a Ice Property Attack component to it that increases with level, this solves the niche aspect of it as other classes with damage over time can employ it and also makes it interesting at level 1 for the current builds. As for the cast time it can be enough to have it tied to the buff radius, being casted at minimum for solo play and have full use to buff party.

Rune of Giants (D)

Thurisaz is the rune of Thor and later known as Thorn on old english, it’s the rune of battle, lightning, storm, weapons and conquest, as for magic it has the effect of self improvement and strive. The readings on this rune are tied to knowledge, discipline, focus, reaction and growth, when reversed it reads as danger, wrath, malice and torment. The translation of Thurisaz is giants and that is the major element taken from it, tho the growth aspect is also present.

Rune of Giants is probably the most problematic skill in the class and was the most changed through time, the issue with it is how the new size has to increase all hitboxes to keep consistency but doing that also can break the game as skills are supposed to have an expected size and as result most skills can’t be used while giant. As it is a magic circle it can be troublesome if someone steps on it by accident, takes the buff and can’t use it due restrictions, and not to mention the information about skills that can be used while giant aren’t available in game at all. Along with that the skill lasts longer when leveled, it can be refreshed without being maxed and it may even be more beneficial to do so, and to make it worse it doesn’t have a floor. One interesting element of it is the stomping mechanic, that isn’t even informed at the skill, as landing on enemies deals an unknown amount of damage, it would be interesting for it to cast Earthquake instead but that can be too much for something that can be done all time.

For this skill it may be interesting to reduce the giant form size to something more affordable as giant size can range from half the height of a human to 20 times it, doing that may allow it to be useable with all skills if not most of them. On the leveling side it can have static PAtk/MAtk/PDef/MDef/Movement Speed bonus and a scaling HP bonus, and to accompany that a fixed duration for the buff.

Rune of Justice (A)

Known as Tiwaz or Teiwaz, this is the rune of Tyr, carries the traits of hero, honor, righteousness, sacrifice and fairness, and when used in magic brings victory, protection and strength. When applied on divinations it means responsibility, strength, duty, discipline, loyalty and honesty, the reading on reversed Tiwaz is seen as injustice, imbalance, failure and tyranny. It may be over analysis on this part but making it as a straight beam seems to represent the honest and direct nature of the rune and that is complemented by the holy property on it.

There’s not much to say about Rune of Justice. It’s one of the few, if not the only, holy magic skills outside of the cleric tree, and is a free cast skill that hits multiple enemies. It would be nice to have information about how many enemies can be hit with it and also the cast to be tied to the skill length.

Rune of Protection (D)

Going by the name Algiz or Elhaz, that may originate the word Aegis later on, is perceived as protecting both physical and spiritual realms and that also applies to the magical effects. The readings on this rune are related to safety, awakening, aid, courage and divinity, while the reversed reading means fear, disconnect and warning.

This seems like wizard’s response to the knock back and knock down issue as every single class branch has at least a skill to prevent it. Just like the others it also falls into the same duration increase leveling factor but this time going to extreme values on both duration and cooldown, as usual it also lacks floor. The maintain casting attribute is questionable as Rune Casters are unlikely to miss Wizard 3 and at that point Surespell is already at the table, not to say that as the skill requires a linker to be shared it loses on that aspect. Despite the skill design being terrible the skill itself is quite handy.

Potential Identity

Unlike other classes Rune Caster developed some iconic skills that are hard to readjust or even remove and that stands in the way for it to ever get an identity. However there is something that the theme allows and was stated on every single rune thematic aspect, the alternative reading.

Rune Caster can be a class that has skill effects based on the fortunate and unfortunate readings, tackling both the role as a support by delivering buffs or as an offensive class.

This can be achieved with four components.

• Have all skills to carry two modes, the regular one being a party oriented and the Merkstave for offense.
  • A free skill that changes the reading to alternative state, it can have an attribute to make it toggle or for one time only.
  • A Merkstave attribute for all runes so it allow them to be on the second state by default, using the change skill would change the state to regular.
  • Having all skills to own a dual effect attribute available when maxed, allowing it to apply both states on cast for double the amount of runes and additional SP. This last element is important distribute power among point distribution, if all skills have multiple uses it will be more likely for them to have at least a point on each and allowing it to apply two effects at once can be a good way to have one or two maxed.

The interesting part here is how this change allow skills such as Rune of Ice and Rune of Giants to stay with the niche design and can even have more of those as long as the alternative isn’t, it also adds a choice factor that isn’t anywhere present on skill casting. However this new feature may not allow skills to have overheat and requires cooldowns to be longer, if that isn’t applied it the skills will either have to stop midway and compensate on overheat or have one side exclusive to niche use. Also the most important change to use such system is to change all skill names to their respective runes.

Conclusion

Rune Caster is a class that isn’t for everybody and that is due restrictions instead of having an unique gameplay or dealing with elements to appeal to all, it feels like one of those classes that are a cluster of skills based on a theme and that lack a north but at least as a hidden class it can be that. Aside the restrictive nature the it has to deal with the binary nature of casting and that itself makes it harder to be picked without specific classes, even with that ignored and going only for the buffs it has the least interesting leveling aspects in the game.

Theme B
Gameplay C
Cohesion C
Point Distribution C
Dropout D

I hope this can be a worthy compensation for Shinobi’s transgression, there’s been some extra effort on the research part as i’ve found out about Merkstave when doing it. For the next breakdown we’ll have Mergen and following that another duo thread. Unfortunately i won’t be able to get polls as the next 4 weeks are settle, yet that’s a great chance to request a class in particular. As usual drop a comment on how you see the class to be design or even if you manage to see an identity within it (having all skills to be casted doesn’t sustain it) or how a possible identity can be worked for it.

4 Likes

Makes you wish Rune of Ice had attributes to change it to a different element. Ice is cool, but why Ice in the first place? I want Rune of Fire… or Darkness. Ok, that’s a little overpowered, but still.

1 Like

Then it would need a new name…

Something like Runes of des… no that one is taken :expressionless:

Rune of Nature :smiley:

2 Likes

I love this class, definitely one of my favorites in the game. Thankfully it has gotten so much better when compared to how it was before the combat rework. 8sec rune cast times were sad. That being said, I don’t think the class is perfect, and I’d change a few small things if I could.

Rune of Destruction: I’d change it into holy property (With RC being the only class besides clerics that can do holy dps, I think this could be an ok change)
Rune of Ice: I can’t really comment on this one. Even though I have played 6-7 different RC builds before, I never once took this skill.
Rune of Protection: This skill is great the way it is now.
Rune of Giants: Pretty good, the restrictions on attack skills are kinda bad, but it still works well for support builds.
Rune of Justice: I really wanted this skill to hit all enemies inside its hitbox. That being said, this skill is great the way it is now.

Also, I’d change the skill names to use the rune’s names instead of “Rune of…”

The Skilled Casting attribute also feels pretty useless, but I have no idea how it could be reworked.

You mean wizard?
./20charaaa

1 Like

@ultimapi

That may be hard due the current rune selection, it could work with other runes (after all there’re other 19 available) but that means removing one of the current skills as it may be too much for a hidden class to have more than 5 full skills.

@Guava

I mean out of cleric (i fixed it to outside of), if i’m not wrong only the new Onmyoji skill deals holy damage (along with dark) in the whole tree. Yeah, my wording was confusing.

I played around with it for a while (even before the QoL changes).

What drew me to RC was the idea of “great magic”. In exchange for spending a really long time to cast a spell, I would get a really strong spell. At the time, rune of ice + ice wall + pp was basically an “I win button” (and I was envious of those who could use it as I wan’t cryo-kino then). Even though I wasn’t using it myself, it felt good to see. On field bosses you would see RC’s perform the combo then just sit it out until the combo came back up and everyone else was cool with it as their contribution was already substantial.

That said, rune of destruction, justice, protection pale in comparison. Rune of giants is alright.

• Rune of destruction is just a regular spell with mdef break attached to it. It has no interaction with other spells outside RC other than it debuffs now. It is not worthy of the word “destruction”.
  • Rune of justice is worse than destruction because it has nothing going for it outside damage. Because of its damage only effect, it has no interaction with any other wiz spell.
  • Rune of protection falls short because its duration falls short. The other effect falls short because there are no channels worth using that don’t already have interruption protection (kino channels).
  • Rune of giants is ok for me because it introduces a new mechanic (AA on landing after a jump). I like it for the potential it represents and not so much what it actually does. If you can attach an AA to the jump, you can attach a spell. Also, if you can attach “something” to the jump, you can attach “something” to any other action. It is also 100% uptime.

An easy fix for both rune of destruction and justice is to:

• remove the damage
  • attach a buff to them
  • return the damage in another way

For rune of destruction IMC can tap into chaos via rng. That rng could be auto casting the current rune of destruction (on your location) when you cast a spell. This way, instant cast, low damage, high OH spells that normally don’t see any use at all (energy bolt, ice bolt, fireball, freezing sphere?) gain more value. Now to prevent using 0 cd skill like unbind from triggering the auto spell, IMC can tie the trigger to magic attack type spells (classification of damage spells) to avoid activation from magic buff type spells (evil sacrifice is a 0cd magic attack type though and is available at warlock c1).

For rune of justice IMC can go about it in a couple of ways. As Tyr was a god of war, IMC can take the aspect of “combat” and change your AA to instead cast the current rune of justice making your AA a linear AoE. Another way would be to tap into “justice” and send the AoE towards an attacker (though that would be more akin to revenge). The interaction would be you now have a “realiable” filler and can choose classes with either very few offensive skills or classes with really long CD’s.

Rune of protection is tricky. On the one hand kb/kd is just frustrating as most sources (in pve) are too hard to avoid (usually attached to massive AoE’s). On the other hand permanent immunity over a long duration is too strong. Give it damage reduction as a buff (which fits more into “protection” anyway) with a higher than gazing golem chance to activate lv1 pain barrier. This way we get a guaranteed effect in damage reduction + an rng effect of pain barrier.

I feel rune of giants only lacks pain barrier. Giving this rune pain barrier wouldn’t bee too strong because it comes with a skill lock out. It’s not a 100% skill lock out, but you still lose spells. As for the potential I spoke off earlier, it would be possible to attach some spells to jumping instead of just AA. You can have an attribute to leave flame ground/earthquake/ or some other ground AoE where you land instead off/in addition to AA.

1 Like

Oh you mean “with the exception of.”

Out of implies you were talking about cleric all of a sudden.

1 Like

*despite

on rune of protection, last sentence

@c2gaming.seetoo sephiroth just handed over his krytonite to cloud when he threw him the destroy materia. which is pretty much useless throughout the game, until the player finds the final boss to spamm barriers and shells.

2 Likes

It’s rune of ice, because Isa in the nordic legend is the rune of ice. They are just trying to make the runes fit.
to buff Isa they could make even make it give % MATK as ice property damage in all attacks, or change other skills to ICE element.

I believe making Isa change all skills to ice property would be more interesting than the current version we have right now.

1 Like

Hello Hillgarm!

Thank you for providing a detailed insight on this particular class. We will share your thoughts to our development team for review.

5 Likes