Tree of Savior Forum

Darkness Approaches [Steam Reviews]

Now while I’ll be one of the first to say that this game certainly needs improvements in the most basic areas (Client optimization, Character customization, 180° head rotations) I’ll be one of the last to say that the game isn’t an enjoyable experience. BUT UNFORTUNATELY, many others don’t think the same: https://steamdb.info/app/372000/

^That’s our current Steam rating, which is 59% (Mixed). You might be thinking: “Well, the game does have problems, so 59% is fair until the important issues are fixed. People will still try the game out.” which I won’t agree or disagree with, but the bigger issue here isn’t where the rating is currently standing-- it’s where the rating is potentially headed.

This is the Steam rating percentages:
95 - 99% : Overhwelmingly Positive
94 - 80% : Very Positive
70 - 79% : Mostly Positive
40 - 69% : Mixed
20? - 39% : Mostly Negative
0 - 19% : Very/Overwhelmingly Negative

So at the moment, we’re 20% ahead of hitting the Mostly Negative zone, which is very hard to recover from. The decline hasn’t been a +/- thing, but a pretty much straight downwards spiral. What makes it even worse are the reasons in the Negative Reviews, which range from ‘Understandable reasons + not understandable reasons just to add onto the negativity’ to downright ridiculous such as: http://store.steampowered.com/app/372000/#app_reviews_hash

1. “No regional pricing” (Which is an understandable frustration, but doesn’t count as a review)
  2. “Game isn’t free yet”
  3. “P2W/Greedy”
  4. “Bots.” (After 2 banwaves of Bots)
    And my all-time favorite:
  5. “No WoE”

The point of this post, is that something needs to be done on both sides. IMC already started their part with the announcement of re-working the 1:1 Trade for non-Token users, optimization improvements, Botter/Exploiter banwaves, and pushing the release date for F2P back a bit so they have more time to improve these things:

Trading restrictions rework:

Optimization:

Banwaves:
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/c/news/annoucements

The other part, is for these people making the negative reviews (And for anyone who was thinking of making one). If you disliked more things in the game than you enjoyed, then that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with expressing that-- as long as it’s reasonable. If you make a negative review yet still play the game, then at least take 3 minutes out of your time to correct the negative review after they fix the things you were complaining about. The ones who aren’t happy are always louder than the ones who are.

Hopefully the actual relevant issues are fixed before the game opens to F2P, and that’s a big hopefully, because these reviews (Both legitimate ones and nonsense ones) play a big role in whether we’ll sink or swim.

16 Likes

Sometimes people give negative review because the game looks bad to them, but they couldn’t express it in proper words.

That’s why there is so many unrelated negative reason.

4 Likes

-> Steam reviews
-> Negative

:joy:

The less people coming here just because of a ‘popular’ game the better.
The more niche the better~

Agree 100% on optimization though.

EDIT: Oh come on…

• ‘Game isn’t free’ -> …
  • ‘P2W/Greedy’ -> HAHAHA… we got people screaming ‘give us circle reset buyable with TP!’
4 Likes

Sorry but unless it has to do with money, IMC isn’t going to do anything or change anything. Most of the stuff they did changed like scams and gold digger had to do with money.
If this was p2p like I said it should be before then they wouldn’t have to scrounge from money and have enough to fix bugs and such. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The less players, and less good press, the quicker the game becomes a Ghost town. The game has a steady population right now, but this is something it should be having for years to come; niche or not.

Except with that logic, good optimization and less restrictions for free players = Money. Because without those things, they lose more players which means they lose more money.

3 Likes

[quote=“Sixaxis, post:6, topic:211961, full:true”]The less players, and less good press, the quicker the game becomes a Ghost town. The game has a steady population right now, but this is something it should be having for years to come; niche or not.[/quote]Sometimes I wonder why Mabinogi NA is still alive.
Then I found out my friend spending on gacha every single time one comes out :smiling_imp:

1 Like

They don’t even care to post anything warning people about the FPS problem so somebody who might be interested in the game could buy it now and end up quitting later. Of course when it gets to the F2P then would already be done ripping people off and have some money to fix it.
So basically the fps isn’t going to get fixed until a bit after f2p happens. I mean if the Koreans and the Japanese are having the same problem then wouldn’t they be fixing it now or at least trying to fix it? You would think so.

The free-to-play wave will determine the overall Steam rating and I’m sure IMC knows this.

really shouldnt be able to review a game unless you’ve spent atleast 30-50 hours in it.
“downloaded the game and couldnt play cause its not f2p yet” is NOT a review.
If all the bad reviews like that were removed, we’d probably jump atleast 10-15%

2 Likes

Oh god another one of these threads? Have you tried looking at the crap negative reviews? I don’t know anyone in real life who takes steam reviews seriously considering how easily manipulated they can be.

@Jintello actually if you read carefully, the OP is pointing out also how stupid some of the reviews are.

4 Likes

Yea I dislike how reviews work in steam. I dont go on the steam discussions too often, but there are people like this guy.

Ok, so they fixed all these problems he was asking for. You’d think he would have a positive review right?

Oh, well youd think he isnt playing the game then right?

Oh he was playing today…

People are stupid. I bet all these “oh it was supposed to be F2P” negative reviews wont be changed once it actually is F2P. Thats not even a review of the game to begin with though…

Edit BTW this post has nothing to do with BR. It was just an example that stood out to me.

7 Likes

I saw it. Doesn’t change this thread is still about this ■■■■ topic

[quote=“Gringe, post:13, topic:211961, full:true”]
Oh, well youd think he isnt playing the game then right?

Oh he was playing today…[/quote]:joy: this is golden

Have you read some of those negative reviews? Some of them complain because the game says free to play but then they cannot play it without buying the early access, some of them complain because they are in a region that is IP blocked and apparently “IMC never make an statement for that”, recently the complains are because of the price drop that again “IMC never said anything about that before” an people feel “scammed” or because the game is “racist” or some stupid ■■■■ like that. In fact literaly every time something happens in the game people go and mass down vote it as it is going to help somehow.

I really cannot take the bad reviews seriously, I truly cant.

Sadly, most of my guild. 2/3 of them are waiting for Free-to-Play because the mixed reviews scared them off.

3 Likes

You’re now a salesman. You have to sell this game to someone for them to play 1000 hours. Are you going to tell them about only the good things or warn them now about the glaring obvious problems this game has? Bots, server instability, paywalling, bad performance, all these things are part of the game currently.

Also, if there wasn’t any negative feedback silly or not do you really think they would be doing all this stuff they’ve done in the past couple weeks to fix things? They went 2 betas and now suddenly decide to do something about everything when people already warned them about half the things like exploits and servers being bad.

2 Likes

it’s not headed anywhere, really.

before release, it was 65% “mostly positive”

during the first week it dropped (which is to be expected, with typical mmo startup problems)… all of 5 points, to 60% “mixed”.

in the 2.5 weeks since then, it’s edged down all of 1%.

honestly, this is a pretty trivial subject to be wasting time on.

Seriously? Gross! It’s already bad enough that back in the iRO forums they poke fun on this game, but even worse, a certain big-time WoE guild from Chaos that starts with a S traipse in the game to bring their damn drama here after the “Stolen Name Escapade”, and I was all “OMeffinG, what the hell are they doing here?” People, this is the spiritual successor, a love letter to a has-been game that saw its peak way past 10 years ago, but that’s it, not the sequel. They want WoE in a new Ragnarok-related game that isn’t iRO, go to iRO2, not here with their unreasonable expectations. ToS is not the sequel, I repeat, NOT the sequel. WoE does not (and hopefully will never) exist here. It’s already bad enough one guild went here with their drama, what’s next, the girl-hungry men of a certain other guild who follow the leader just because she was apparently a swimsuit model and manipulated men to upgrade her equipment for her to +15 spending thousands of dollars for 8 bits of data and makes, oh I don’t know, Chanel Oberlin look like Mother Theresa? RO players are welcome here, but don’t compare it to a has-been, and don’t drag your guild drama and RO-like expectations here, because Tree of Savior does not deserve that. This game is a fresh start, that while serving on a similar niche, is its own game.

2 Likes