Tree of Savior Forum

Damage Types and Elements - Basic Guide

Damage Types and Elements - Basic Guide

Hi everyone!

This guide will cover the basics of how the relation of the elements and properties of attacks work in Tree of Savior. Here you will find how to take good advantage of your skills and abilities of your class and skills of your choice. Please feel free to comment any inconsistency, or any contribution you think is needed.

Table of Content

1. What are damage properties in Tree of Savior?
    1.1 The Skill Information Box
    1.2 Your Target Information
  2. Damage Interactions
    2.1 Elemental Damage
    2.2 Physical Damage

1. What are damage properties in Tree of Savior?

Every attack you made will take in consideration some sort of property, to either increase or decrease the damage you do, based on the attack you are doing and against who you are delivering this attack.

In Tree of Savior, we have:

• Magical skills, that most of the time will have an element associated and use your Magic Attack to calculate damage
  • Physical skills, that covers mostly melee attacks and use your Primary and Secondary Physical Attack, depending on the weapon the skill requires you to use
  • Missile skills, for the ranged attacks, that also use your Primary and Secondary Physical Attack, depending on the weapon the skill requires you to use

It is important to note that this is a basic separation of these damage types, they can and will be mixed, based on the skill you are using and the concept of the class you chose.

On the defensive side, we also have the same elements that counter the Magical skills, and the armor type, associated with the Physical and Missile skills, playing the role of decrease or increase the damage you will deal against an enemy. We will check them in a moment.

The Skill Information Box

All damaging skills in the game (also some supportive ones, but here is not the case) will show which kind of attack, type and element (if applicable) the damage will be based of. It is very important to check these boxes closely, and also to memorize which kind of damage your skill work on.

Examples of Skill Information Boxes

magic-tooltip
A Magic damage skill, with the Holy property

physical-tooltip
A Physical damage skill, with the Pierce-type

missile-tooltip
A Missile damage skill, with the Gun-type

Your Target Information

When you aim a target, the game UI will show, at the top center of your screen, the basic information of your enemy. Keep in mind that it is very limited, showing only element and race, alongside the HP bar. If you want to see more detailed information, you will need to rely on Add Ons to check things like size and armor type.

Examples of Targets Information

monster%2002

A regular monster (small HP bar) of Mutant race and Poison element

Boss monster (large HP bar) of Demon race and Earth element

2. Damage Interactions

Now that we know how to check the damage we will be delivering with a specific skill, and how to check the element of our targets, now we can look at how to deal extra damage using this information.

Elemental Damage

For the elements, or properties, we have two separated interactions:

• The four basic elements (Fire, Earth, Lightning and Ice), with Poison running alongside
  • More divine elements (Holy and Dark), with Psychokinesis running alongside

General rules are:

• You will do 50% more damage with the right property
  • Each property will cause -25% damage on itself
  • Poison will increase less, but will work on every basic element
  • Psychokinesis (also refered as Soul) will also increase less, but is the only one that deal extra damage on itself

sacred

Physical Damage

Physical attacks work with the armor type of your target. As mentioned before, you cannot see the armor type without using some sort of Add On. You can also check a database for more detailed information about specific monsters.

Also, each weapon have a specific type of attack, this can help you predict the predominant type of the skills the class you chose will have. Example: Rapier are Pierce-type, so you can expect that Matador and Fencer, rapier users, will have a lot of pierce-type skills.

Keep in mind that, as you can use different skills with different weapons, the type of your skill is what will be considered. The weapon attack type counts only for basic auto attacks.

General rules are:

• Magic skills will always deal neutral damage against any kind of armor, except ghost-type, meaning that most of the cases only the element you choose will matter
  • Melee skills (Slash, Pierce and Strike) are better against a specific armor type each
  • Cannon-type is the only Missile attack that deals better with Plate armor, the others work better against the other two, with less bonus damage

And that’s it! Hope this quick guide can help you choose well the skill you will use, based on the situation you are facing. Always remember that Tree of Savior have (at least for me) a kind of extended damage modifiers. Choosing the right target to try out your damage will certainly change your perception of a skill and a class concept.

Server: SA Silute
Team Name: Wellan

27 Likes

Nice, but you wrote “Exambles”

1 Like

Oopsie haha

Fixed this typo.

So bow and gun (missle) is effective to Cloth and Leather? So why separated to 2 type?
Does cannon count as missle too?

quick but very nice guide, I like the images

1 Like

Yes, Cannon is Missile type damage.

Bow and gun might be separated due to weapon type or maybe something related to how they were coded. But yes, they have the same advantages.

So it means physical attack does not have any elements on it?

Most dont, but:
Some skills from Scout have itself elemental. Which will have the following elemtal rules.

you showed the bonus damages of physical attack types to each armor types. I have a question (tho this might not be related to the guide), what are the bonus defenses of each armor types against certain attack types? Are there any?

Can’t find anything about it. Other than the armor type attributes (listed on the skill window, under the base class tab), you don’t get anything different from using them.

1 Like

So armor types only determine what type of attack bonuses you’ll receive. No mitigating effects against attack types. Its very ironic for wearing armors haha.

You do reduce the overall Physical (plate) or Magical (cloth) damage incoming if you use a full set, but other than that, no other specificities.

1 Like

Really like the style of the presentation here!

But noticed something

https://tos.neet.tv/misc/damage-compat

According to this Psycho vs Psycho is 50% not only 25%

I will have to check it in-game again to see what it shows. When I made this guide, the Psychokinesis attribute worked as I stated. I don’t remember it being changed since then, but I will check as soon as I can, and update the guide if needed. Thank you for bringing it in.

1 Like

Hi, want to ask
whats the interaction between frozen enemies, with magic attack like electric/fire?

There are non, remove from game already.

so status debuff like frozen,petrify
doesnt deal additional damage?

If a skill grants you additional damage, it will be stated on the skill’s description and effects.

Stone Curse, for example:

There is no “hidden” or “common” interactions. For example, if you freeze an enemy you will not deal extra lightning damage, unless the skill you are using explicitly tells you that you will do so.

If not stated, the elemental table above will be applied between the attack and the basic enemy element solely, not it’s debuff conditions.

ahh okay, thanks good sir !

Wasn’t it part of the Re:build update that freeze, petrify and curse would have a global damage modifier for lightning, fire and dark attacks???

Edit: NVM, found that they removed it. Dang it, all this time I thought my freeze+ lightning combos did something XD