Tree of Savior Forum

cxAnywhere (add-on) and add-on legitimacy

I really don’t think it’s a lack of care on IMC’s part. I think it’s mostly just a lack of manpower. iToS release was a way larger amount of players than they could handle/were expecting.

That, and from what I can tell, there’s at least a partial language barrier where communication with the development team is concerned.

I understand that they made an error and underestimated how popular the game would actually be and I also understand that they have a lack of manpower to deal with the overwhelming amount of issues with the game.

However, even if they have legitimate reasons for everything, it doesn’t change the fact the issues exist and need to be taken care of a lot faster than they are working for the sake of the game’s future.

I feel for them with the pressure they are going through and all of that but the reality of the situation doesn’t change.

Some addon devs may be up for the work, if IMC wants to hire them =P

Probably have to speak fluent Korean to even get an interview :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t disagree with that at all, I just think it’s a shame that 98% of the playerbase is convinced that being as hateful as possible is going to somehow make IMC work faster or something.

People that can make respectful criticisms without seething are few and far between, I guess.

3 Likes

Gamers have become increasingly toxic and entitled at least in the western culture. It’s more of a, “You owe me” mentality which you saw being displayed with that person who was demanding things of these add-on developers.

This toxic behavior translates into our online gaming experience as well. I’ve seen some of the most vile and toxic end game communities in some MMORPGs that I’ve played until end game being Tera Online, WoW, FFXIV being the more notable ones.

A lot of indie devs who get into game devving are quickly met with a community basically taking a crap on them.

However, at the same time, gamers have frequently watched early access / kickstarter titles make a lot of promises and end up not keeping many, if any at all. So some gamers have some grounds for skepticism.

I feel like IMC can help calm some of the toxic behavior here by at least being more transparent and proactive to engage the community and show us they are doing things. Like FFXIV has frequent interviews and Q&A with the lead game designer and it works quite well.

At least if IMC has said this and that, I can reply to toxic posts telling them to STFU with proof of IMC’s transparency.

Then again, IMC has stated that they aren’t supporting class resets and that hasn’t stopped those posts from popping up 5 times a day… lol

2 Likes

Hey man -

Thank you so much for what you’re doing for the community.

I used to be the kind of player who wants his game in its most vanilla state, likely due to making sure my account won’t get compromised in any way.

When word about addons got popular, I was immediately skeptical of using them because there was never any official confirmation/announcement from IMC about their legitimacy. Sure, someone from the staff did respond in the forum but that’s something they could just easily delete at any time.

Now that issues about some addons playing on borderline acceptable are heating, I know whatever I’ll say won’t matter until I’ve actually tried using addons in the first place.

So I did. I broke my own rules, I’ve changed my stance on a lot of things in the game (e.g. what’s OK and what’s not), and installed addons using Excrulon’s addon manager which was super easy to use. 10/10 UX.

I loaded a few that had features which I deemed should have been in the game already and I gotta say:

TOS is better with addons.

At least until they officially integrate those features in the game.

That said, better shouldn’t mean having an advantage over other players which your “addon that shall not be named” appears to be doing.

I assume you’ve already informed IMC about this issue before but it’s either they thought this wasn’t much of an issue or they’re too slow with handling things.

I am not against you personally using it and whether you let the public know or not that you’re using it, but putting it freely accessible for the public now seems not OK.

While I understand that it was first unintentional then you making it public was due to the attacks of some greedy asses who wants everything free, I hope you’ll take some time to think about the consequences of this in the long run which as you said could include the banning of addons altogether.

It’d be for the greater good if you take out the “addon that shall not be named” from public access, maybe build another more acceptable addon based on it to improve some aspects of the game like a toggle option to make town NPC windows automatically appear when you go very near them.

Thanks for understanding, and for the awesome addons.

2 Likes

Hello, first of all I do appreciate add-on creators work I know it takes time to actually create the add-ons that we are currently using and more-so because it’s being given to us for free . However I do believe that doing gracious charity does not warrant you the right to exempt yourself from the rules.
The problem isn’t that you made a mistake, the problem is that you created it in the first place whilst already knowing, as you have said, that its something people are not supposed to do.

Regardless part of all this is still IMC’s fault for letting players tinker with the game’s code in the first place which is what I believe tempted you to do this. There’s so much loopholes and so little security for the game at the moment that its depressing.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yeah I didn’t want to say this but well, now that someone else did I actually agree. Reason I don’t spend my time making add-ons for games like this is cuz I’m not much of a charity person lol. If you make add-ons for a game like this the only thing you’re entitled to is a “Thanks” pretty much.

Though for big game titles, making add-ons could attract dev attention which is nice :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean an add-on maker for Unity attracted Unity’s attention and got hired to redesign Unity’s entire GUI system. That’s pretty nice stuff.

Yeah I confirmed the exploit is still there actually, but, just unable to be acted upon. I.e. if they brought back the “buyback” function tomorrow, it would be exploited immediately. Furthermore I’d actually thought of a test involving the feature which, if reintroduced, would very well likely give infinite silver immediately. And I’m not talking slowly either but rather a rate of 1m+ per min roughly.

So I hope they address the issue because A) come on, it’s still broken and B) we could use a fixed buyback feature because, you know, we sometimes actually need to buyback items that were accidentally sold.

@fiotedev since you’ve spent a lot of time in the source… maybe you would know of a way to get this done? List of top Addon’s people would like to see

I’m seriously considering commissioning it if needed lol Should be simple though I’d think XD

Also, to everyone else who said it in the thread (and those who haven’t yet)- Addons definitely make the game a million times better. Infinitely better. Without lkchat I would be riddled by bots. Without exp meter I’d be in the dark about if I’m slacking or if I’ve made more progress. Without lk channel I’d constantly be bouncing around channels trying to find the one that is right for me. Without fog viewer I’d constantly be hunting for that stupid 1-2 chunks on the map that never show up correctly. I could go on forever as there are numerous addons that I use that I feel are infinitely beneficial to the community and the game itself. From detailed skill tooltips to item information, exp calculators to UI options. My game is that much better for it.

I hope that IMC doesn’t try to snuff out all addons because of loopholes in their own code; IMC should instead address the code around those addons that may be seen as exploitative and continue to allow us the ease of access that many safe addons offer us.

Perhaps they could once again review the suggestion that Julie was on board with Addon Approval Process

1 Like

Just one thing I can say. I never used any of those addons.
I can remember how Ragnarok Online got destroyed and totally ruined due to these types of programs. RO was popular and it could have been even more popular if it wasn’t for those things. Tree of Savior, being the “successor” of Ragnarok, is suffering from the same fate the origin had. #SADLIFEU

@Darkon I’ll take a look at that request :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMC should just hire you to improve their game and take those useful addon as official features. :smiley: you are doing great. I hope IMC wont ban you but thank you for “wake” them up to realize how serious the addon could do to the game.

im a hacker too now!

remember that you actually made the game more enjoyable for a lot of people. <3

Source: https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=467

1. Could you let us know which add-ons are allowed and which aren’t?

We have no plans on restricting add-ons that conveniently display
information which can be obtained from external communities or between
users.

However, we are sternly against add-ons that allow abnormal gameplay
such as being able to use NPC stores on a field or an auto-play program.
Those are prohibited and its user is liable to be banned.

You’ve been warned!

1 Like

i left my house door open and somebody came in at night

i am not at fault

no i do not plan on closing my door

Well, regarding the law even if you let your door open it doesn’t justidy anyone to come rob you.

However, a person who goes into a building and, after getting inside,
develops the intent to commit a crime has not committed burglary. For
example, a person who goes to a home for a party and then steals another
guest’s phone can be convicted of theft, but not burglary, unless there
is some evidence that that the defendant had the intent to steal when
he or she arrived. Likewise, a person who breaks into a friend’s home in
a drunken stupor, intending to curl up and go to sleep on the sofa, but
then wakes up and assaults the friend, could be charged with assault,
but not burglary.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/home-invasion-burglary-crimes.htm

i know right

i have the right to kill in most cases

#LOGIC

#leavethedooropen

#leavethedooropenforayear

imo its better to have the door open/no door at all times and shoot trespassers instead of taking your time to make sure you have a proper door installed

GONE

I’m happy about an official reply about addons (been soo long since the last one!). Because of that, cxAnywhere is no long available. It’s not on my repo current state anymore, nor it’s on the addon manager. I KNOW it was a ‘bad’ addon from the beginning, but at least now IMC knows that we all know the code is (still) pretty insecure. Here’s the hope they’ll fix it!

Mischief managed.

Also, Since I don’t think cxScanner is hacky, my plan on releasing it stands.

3 Likes