Tree of Savior Forum

Concerning Valentines Contest Results - Traced Art?

Likeness is not an infringement. Parody is not an infringement.

Your pixel art hair is a slight re-coloration of the original at best, and full on plagiarism at worst.

7 Likes

I will sue all every religion for using the word ā€œGODā€. Same with the animal named ā€œDOGā€.

Poor Soul :pray:

ā€¦ might as well throw this out the window.

ok. (:
Internet is full of opinions, thank you.

1 Like

yeah just an opinion but cant they put into their shoes, they won and ppl are keep criticizing herfor winning? Whatā€™s done is done. We donā€™t need anymore opinions. I donā€™t think contest is for ppl whose extremely dedicated to quality art. Having variety of winners is good. We shouldnā€™t compare, just move on and wait for the next contest -_-

1 Like

mfw someone in this thread thinks that design inspiration/expys are the same as tracing. technical skill and design is not the same.

As for what is actually defined as an art base is a pre-drawn outline or skeleton for someone else to continue on. Itā€™s distributed for use by the permission of the artist. Did you get permission from the original artist to use their art as a base?

Pixel art is strange in that itā€™s so precise, that itā€™s hard to take inspiration from a certain style without copying directly, which is more or less plagarisim.

2 Likes

This is a false flag to throw us off from something else! What else is going down??

This isnā€™t an opinion.

Youā€™re not going to meet any legal repercussions for this because (as far as I can tell) the original author(s) has no intellectual property rights on the piece.

Youā€™re also not going to find anyone in this thread who will completely believe the credibility for your work, and may not ever believe in the credibility of your future works.

If anybody in the thread were a potential employer (not saying you make art for a living), and they knew you plagiarized even one pieceā€¦
Just let me ask you: Is it worth it?

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t lie, Iā€™m surprised by this turn of events. Tho I donā€™t tolerate tracing, it would have been better if Windysama cited his references to avoid this kind of commotion.

1 Like

Pretending to not know what plagiarism is lolā€¦
That hair is literally traced pixel-by-pixel. You got a little more than just ā€œinspirationā€ from the vocaloid model. Someone caught itā€¦ just own up to making a mistake. Other than the obvious hair, the rest of it seems original, and thatā€™s cool. But pretending like itā€™s okay to do this, and that itā€™s okay for others to do this as well, isnā€™t.

12 Likes

As far as I know, Iā€™m free to study sprites and compilate then to build something. Nothing to hold back the blocks, nor rule or moral.
You are bitching so much because of a hair model i have used and yet Iā€™m enjoying the showā€¦ itā€™s totally irrelevant.

But for now iā€™m tired and must sleep.

Welcome to the internet.

2 Likes

?

besides you

I went above and beyond my usual effort and created a modest collage for you. Art is so easy when you donā€™t invite criticism. My piece isnā€™t even good enough to invite criticism. But your piece got called out, and now youā€™re inviting criticism.

3 Likes

I meanā€¦ iā€™m sure OP didnā€™t make this thread to seek your validation on the topicā€¦ more like for someone higher up to consider substituting your plagiarized art for someone more deserving, who actually made original content. Enjoy the show though.

6 Likes

3 Likes

yyyeeeeep. basically this lol

bye

yes. anybody is free to study and use references. but it is basic ethics to credit any references you have used for any output you create and claim as ā€˜yoursā€™

otherwise you will easily be labeled as an art thief, a plagiarist, etc. and crediting your sources and references avoids that, and itā€™s basically informing your viewers about your references. transparency and all.

ā€“
i mean I could go conspiracy mode and say person in question didnt credit so he can avoid demerits and a lower chance to win since he assumed nobody would be clever enough to google or let alone be aware of his references. like me or the Staff/judges for example. rip.

6 Likes

The pettiness in these threads is well, I guess par for the course in this community.

For a title and 300TP. Heh hue heh

2 Likes

I just want to say, altho you did insinuate the other artist copying you and some sort of bias for her winning, I believe it wasnā€™t right of them to criticize your work. Artists (and writers) need constructive criticism but these people should know criticisms arenā€™t always welcomed. What they did was bash your work, Iā€™m sorry for that.

1 Like

Youā€™re kind of silly if you think anyone is in this wholly for the tp. Iā€™ve been offered up to 80 usd for a single complete piece, and my skill isnā€™t even up to par with some of the others who didnā€™t make it. Artists who participated went in half and half for love of the game and half, to frankly put it, to win for their own personal merit. Any artist who entered for the tiny prize is honest to god underpricing themselves to hell.

Also, even in for fun, nonprofit contests, people just do not condone cheating. I donā€™t see an issue with a plagarist getting called out.

also ??? even if they do disqualify this person, nobody is going to take their place?

10 Likes

huehuehuehuehue

insert seabird here

1 Like