Tree of Savior Forum

Concerning Valentines Contest Results - Traced Art?

I noticed something odd with one of the winners of the Valentines Day Fanart Contest, windysamas “West Siauliai Lovers”. looked a bit into it and I found several sprites from other games that look very traced.

You can see windysama’s work here.

The first thing I noticed was the traced hair on the left figure. It was traced off of a pretty popular and spread around Len sprite that mimics the style of the Touhou fangame “PatchCon: Defend the Library”; an example of it is Here. You can easily find this sprite by googling “Len sprite”

(EDIT) Overlay GIF: http://www.ezimba.com/work/170214C/ezimba17439386840500.gif

The body seems to be very similar to overhead sprites from Pokemon, particularly games like Pokemon Black and White. You can see the similarities in the sprites Here.
(EDIT: This isn’t correct- correct thing they copied from is below.)

I’m pointing it out because this is technically art theft, and its pretty, very unfair for a work that contains art theft to be declared a winner of a fanart contest, where it’s against the rules…

EDIT: Added more instances of art theft

Copy + Pasted this tree from Captain Toog on Deviantart. Captain Toog’s property for a game he is creating. Windysama edited it very minorly. http://captaintoog.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Tree-2-378599138

Gif Overlay: http://i.imgur.com/IvzlLqI.gif

Copy + Pasted and edited minorly the mascot art/sprite from the app dotpict. Apart from very very minor changes, windysama edited the outfit to resemble ToS outfits. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dotpicko.dotpict&hl=en
Gif Overlay: https://forum.treeofsavior.com/uploads/default/original/3X/5/3/5348a8d28b92b6b992247064f5c387d32c2e7a07.gif

Copy + Pasted a heart sprite (not their property) directly onto their entry. http://img12.deviantart.net/2024/i/2016/129/1/8/pixel_art_heart_by_partypops-da1vz2r.jpg

16 Likes

@STAFF_Yuri @windysama

5 Likes

Oh ■■■■, name-shaming. Should have sent that directly to IMC staff.
Cover up the names and links in your post, pretty sure that’s against TS (I’m looking through it now)… https://treeofsavior.com/ts/

EDIT: There’s nothing about name shaming in the TS, nor any mention in the forum’s rules (there are no forum rules, nothing pinned or found via search anyways)).

But also

…very interesting…

Can you pm me the link to his art submission? I just wanna see if he/she credits the obvious reference material.

EDIT: no credit.

1 Like

not trying to defend anyone here, but as a dedicated 100% no life nerd who lives in mmorpg’s 100% of all community contests are rigged and/or are not judged correctly. trust me on this

these arent actual “contests” they are just used as a PR excuse for the company to claim they are listening and/or helping let the community feel appreciated

tl;dr all community contests arent actually contests, just a “fun” way to give away $5 or $10 to a random few people. dont treat it like an election was rigged or something, you are 100% guaranteed to never like whoever wins community contests

i could go on for hours about this mobile game i used to be a mod for, their community contests were legit rigged and everybody knew it. i doubt anyone cares but the company AIgrind is VERY corrupted to the point where its painfully obvious and just pathetic

4 Likes

That’s not true, I love all of them. Especially the ones that cause legality drama.

since i logged into the wrong google acct i dont think i have permissions to DM or anything yet, but if you look -> news -> the winners you can see which one im talking about pretty easiy i think.

and i covered up the names anyways. dunno if i should add them back now or what

1 Like

Oh, I have used some models to help me get close to this hair style:

Some base sprites can help you correct stuff. Just like the vocaloid one you linked.

Like;

You are going to find base references anywhere in the world. Even more in pixel.

So what’s your point exactly?

7 Likes

@windysama (Gif Linked) … You do know you literally copied it pixel-by-pixel, right?

Okay look. Art is a complicated thing.
Minecraft pixel-recreations and people making lego/perle bead things are recognized as mimicking sprites from a game.

But by entering this contest, you agreed to submit “only your work”. You’re passing off other peoples work as your own. Theres a line between "referencing’ and ‘tracing’, and you passed it. Thats it.

Your original work, like how you did the detail of the in-game costumes, thats your work, thats original, you referenced there. But its crossing a line when it’s copying pixel by pixel. That’s the point I’m making here.

7 Likes

No. Not pixel by pixel.
But if it makes you happier, here you go:

5 Likes

dont worry windysama :slight_smile: ppl are just plain rude
let’s just continue see u do more classes if u can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Guys, stop arguing. Remember IMC is our enemy.

6 Likes

That one pixel fan art was so bad that the first I did was delete it from my folder.

I wonder if the haters are going to flag this post and not let me express my own opinion on that pixel fan art.

6 Likes

The two posts above already got flagged for merely stating their own opinions.

4 Likes

I notice,lol ppl are triggered and butthurt that they can’t take criticism from others.Everyone has different views and opinion so why punish them.

A lot of ppl find the pixel art ugly and wonder how the hell it won lol.I assume the drawing won due of creativity bc I personally don’t see no other way.

NOTE:When I say it’s ugly,I mean it’s ugly TO ME and when I said a lot ppl find it ugly I DON’T MEAN EVERYONE,so the key word is a lot.

2 Likes

There’s a huge difference between using another person’s sprite as a base image to create it in a different format (Minecraft, a physical model, etc. like you showed) and using another person’s sprite to make your own sprite. The latter barely requires more than copy&pasting and claiming all the work as your own, while the former still requires effort to recreate the piece and acknowledges that the original was created by someone else.

Considering the detail you put into the costumes, I’m extremely disappointed. It doesn’t matter if you can re-draw the hair now, you still used someone else’s spritework and called it your own out of sheer laziness. That’s still plagiarism, in the same way it’s plagiarism to trace another artist’s hair linework onto a traditional drawing and say you drew all of it yourself.

8 Likes

PS. @STAFF_Yuri Just for the record you started this by acknowledging gwa_pao. :expressionless: Now a bunch of time is going to be spent on this, rather then saving our dying game.

3 Likes

I’m just leaving these here, guess who won? Not me.

4 Likes

Dont know what your intention is by mentioning that, but I can tell you that Elin started this drawing 1 or 2 days after the contest was announced. We talked about it in Discord and we even saw preview pictures from her work before your drawing even hit the forums. So if u are implying something with your comment here, I’m happy to post some prove that Elin won because here drawing is just more professional.

I dont want to bash your drawing, cause your chocolate box is really cute, but the female isn’t that good of a drawing (Sorry to say that) and the coloring is kinda meeh…

Elins chocolate Box is simple but full of small details, good lightning and proportions, so it totally legitimate that she won.

So dont be a sore loser and try to accept that there is a different in quality when it comes to your drawing.
Just saying, it was to be expected that a lot of people would integrate chocolate, and heartshaped stuff in their drawing, it was a Valentines Day contest.

If it makes u feel better just look at Elins other drawing, its not like she has the need to copy anything.

2 Likes

So you’re bashing on my drawing to prove your point?

4 Likes

If posting my honest opinion over something is bashing, than thats what I did. I dont have to prove my point, cause I know how Elins drawing was created I just wrote down what I think where reasons for the fact that Elin won and you didnt.

I never said your drawing wasnt a nice drawing, I pointed out flaws I saw, I did the same to Elin when she posted here work in progress, I do remember that I said to her that one of the frosting thingys looked flat and like she just threw it on there.

Every Artist that makes his or her work pulic has to live with criticism, some people will like your coloring, while it is not my cup of tea. Because i prefere stronger colours like in Elins drawing, and that the proportions are off in your female char is just what it looks like for me. Maybe thats your style, hell do I know.

And its kind of cute how you actually tried to “bash” Elins drawing with your hints on her copying your stuff and cant live with a bit of criticism. Way to go kiddo :wink:

2 Likes