Tree of Savior Forum

Concerning Valentines Contest Results - Traced Art?

There’s a difference between copy pasting and referencing. that example above demonstrates referencing without having to directly trace or steal anything off it. like Blue mentions it is an ‘idea’. like you would reference a photo of somebody simply for their pose. however tracing and worst, the lack of crediting external resources directly used on an art piece you claim as YOUR OWN is simply unethical.

6 Likes

Those are my thoughts exactly. But I couldn’t have said it better.

Sometimes it is even hard for you to refer the drawing that inspired you, cause it may be something you do subconsciously. And when it is a part of the drawing and not the idea itself, you would have to refer to the whole internet.
I often find myself looking at pictures/photos to draw a character on an specific position or with an specific expression.

1 Like

referencing is always good practice for artists, it’s a way to enrich their ‘visual library’

however that is not the issue here. its easier to see the issue of plagiarism if it were compared to copy pasting a few phrases off a lyrics, and claiming it as your own written poetry w/o proper credits to the owner.

my thoughts exacly

2 Likes

Chili, you do realize this guy is talking about the “Stalker girl” art, right? I’m not talking about that.
And I’m not even going to 'cause it is too easy to point a finger.

quoting notsoaccurateguy

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/uploads/default/optimized/3X/5/1/5186771186cbf68dc93a2e9b296c62f584b6a482_1_682x499.PNG

this and that are hardly different if that’s what youre trying to say.

1 Like

Both are plagiarism though. Hell, I’d say the stalker girl picture is an even worse case of it. At least windy only copied a hair sprite and drew the rest themselves.

8 Likes

yeah, I was just being cheeky in this post.

It’s my guess that it was copied pixel for pixel. Or imported in and scaled ever so slightly.

Maybe next time we send our rough draft kind of screenshot couple pieces for proof? and then the final process? like how artist Froth (i won’t tag him here) did.

I’d like to apply for the Fan Art SWAT team now. lmao.

jokes aside, if only they would require it, and if only all participants would adhere and comply with that.

8 Likes

People cheat in game and out of the game LMAO.TOS really bring out a lot of cheaters to the yard.

8 Likes

Is the TP rewards got people to cheat in GVG and the Art Contest LOL.TP can corrupt a lot people these days .

2 Likes

IMO, all participants who plagiarized arts in the Art Festival/Content should be banned from future Contents/Festivals (or at least for some time, like 3-6 months), so it doesn’t happen anymore.

14 Likes

@BlueFlewQueen I think wendy was referenced and did all the work but not
"Love on Fire" since we even saw the original creator posting about it too but not windy’s.

honestly, all i want is a staff team that will respond to the community when art thefts pointed out.

in previous MMOs, theres been art contests- one that i entered in had a winner who stole art. the community pointed it out, the community manager noticed, and replaced the winner. even IMC said in their contest rules that if a case of plagiarism/ip theft/etc is detected, they have rights to take the prizes back.

thats all i want really, i dont mind art thieves accidentally winning as long as they get the repercussions that the staff stated they would get. it takes a level of skill to spot inconsistencies in style when it comes to traced/stolen entries, so im not gonna blame the staff for not being able to notice that it was traced/stolen. (they said themselves that they werent artists)

5 Likes

staff_yuri seems to have said that all prizes will be taken away from this contest. even still though, since apparently were still not sure this is a case of plagiarism; i found another artist windysama stole from

specific example; the tree

windysama’s submission

apparently this is actual copyrighted stuff too, because captaintoog is using it to create a game… yikes

8 Likes

I said it in the fanart section and I’ll say it again, promoting even a minuscule amount of thievery while punishing another will not bode well for anyone. Not for windysama, not for the artists who painstakingly worked on their authentic pieces, and not for the people who will use this “extreme referencing” in future events. There is no difference between this, and the other contestant who is having their reward stripped. This is copy and pasting another person’s work and then adding on top of it to mask what they’ve done. This isn’t a reference, this isn’t a “base.” This is someone else’s work. I strongly urge Staff to treat this case the same way, or the credibility of these contests is gone. @STAFF_Yuri

2 Likes

That tree is pretty damning, it’s the EXACT same design (pixels in the same place), just with a few colors changed to make a pseudo-3D effect. That it’s copyrighted work too…

1 Like

@windysama

come offer your defense for the latest allegations

windysama will probably just claim they used it as a “base” or “close, direct” reference for their work, as they did with the others. im not interested in windysamas input, this is for the staff.

Omg, i was even going to play devil’s advocate saying that while it was “copypasta photoshop art” it had some composition and captured the theme better than some of the “well drawn”(using this as loosely as possible) works.
But this is Nick Simmons(google it,it was amazing: the day Bleach fans united to witchhunt a shitty artist) level of tracing.Holy ■■■■.

As for windy, i think they deserve some leniency, because it seems they still figuring how things work and kinda did the best they could. I think the selection process is way more at fault in this case.