Tree of Savior Forum

[Class Thread] Monk class thread. CONSOLIDATED MONK INFORMATION

well, to be true once you look at the all possibly scenery’s where monk is involved in this, like different builds or different options, the real chance is not big, not at all, so i will only write about the recovery "potential of SP method " and compare with the “stamina usage method” since in the end this is what matters.
So to start if we look at the way that the players plays today and how they will play in the future, there will be a NEED to adapt that may create a lot of problems for some ones but only that,mainly the ones who “only” uses their monk in normal fields map; but this problem will be able to be solved with money; only that, so let me explain why:
i won’t even enter in the general consensus of builds (yes; i’m saying this twice) ,because yes; with this chance there will be builds who becomes easier to manage than others(diev1 i’m looking at you) but i will talk about some values first and foremost so we can look that “recovery” by “recovery” the new method is a lot better and of course there is a downside of it as well (normal field play) but there is also a upside to it (higher fields:like dg/ET/WB).
the values i will take the ones from the serve i play;
as right now a level 15 stamina pill from silute cost up to 1,8-2k each.
and a alchemist sp pot cost us 450-600 and recover close to 2k so if we add a large sp pot from the merchant one that cost us 1k and recover close to 600 sp(not the best one), so in this case with the same(close) monetary value as one alche stamina pill a “normal” player can recovery up to 2,6k sp.
So we have 39 double punch with stamina , that if we consider that the monk 3 attribute works 50% of the time just for the sake of this example.
We would have “59” DP as stamina monk;
Against a “51” DP as SP monk;
this is already “close” only 8 DP of difference; but let’s make it a little more complex, for the sake of the math let’s use a “time” window of 90 seconds and of course because if you need less than that to kill your enemies; there is no point in the comparison since the downtime between enemies (walking-luring) would only increase the efficiency of both methods so let me look at “only” the method itself and the ability to sustain the “use” of DP, since this is the main problem that this chance may cause.
What “if” a “stamina” monk also uses the merchant pill together with alchemist one ; ah; he cannot since they still share the CD with normal ones :((, so the only option for high “end” monk in bossing and ET/DG is to use alchemist pill + arcane scroll(that is a extra cost even if it is ridiculous one because everyone have a squire in this day so there is not even a need to put on the math) or special method like red ox with squire, because meh 10 minutes is nothing;
But a “sp” monk can increase the mana with merchant pot (the 600 ones cost 1k) but the huge sp potion for a extra 1,5k mana regen cost us 2,4k price.(just to point this out: this is where “normal” field monk will need to focus now ; since they have lost the recovery from crystal to keep the cost cheap and with merchant pots or adapt to new methods )

SO using both options: in a 90 second time window.
The Stamina monk would use 3 level 15 stamina pill for 6k and would be able to use : 177 “dp"
but hey; this is not viable as monk, at least not mine since 6k it would make it too expensive and this is why we tend to focus on red ox from uphill with squire for 30minute stamina (that is what you will most of the “important times” like bossing or ET and inside “dgs” because there is no crystals to recover but most monks who does not have enough red ox to keep going will choose to go for with the merchant “one”; that have a 80 stamina recovery in a 90 second time window; allowing you to be at 40+20(from attribute) “dp” only”; with a cost of 960 silver;
Where a “sp” monk in the same time window with alchemist pot can expand up to 153 “dp” with 1,5k silver or if you “only” use two pots, to keep the value similar as the stamina one; 102 “dp”.
let’s just “take” the third alche pot than can be of use in those 90 seconds to use “other skills” besides “DP” to keep it fair, but the value won’t enter in the math since you would have use the SP anyway in both methods.

What this shows us? this shows that monk “DP” with SP usage have become far more “viable” in the long run in every aspect of the gameplay, mainly inside ET’s(that a good monk-inqui can do too;) and “DG’s” where there is no crystal to recovery our stamina to full at every place since we can recovery our SP easier and cheaper than the stamina method inside those places and outside of it , the so called “normal field maps” we lost the use of crystals to recovery the stamina but this can be overcome with the use of merchant pots with a extra cost or with other methods that i mentioned before as well for example: the use of squire foods to decrease sp tick speed; you all should test sometimes since it would reduce the sp tick at 10 sec; allowing for a better management of sp and less than 10-20 sec sitting to recovery the entire SP of a character; and 10 sec of sitting of downtime in normal field is nothing, in some maps it takes longer to search for a crystal than that.
hell; it took me a lot more than i though to write this since i was already tired and almost sleeping here and still went back and forward to check for errors but i believe it is fine now so in the end i must remove what i said before; this new method is a buff not a nerf;at least in my opinion, since it makes monk fair more reliable in the long run without the need to keep with red ox+squire for ET/Superior bossing or any other “future” “higher end game content” because those ones are always inside a instance without crystal or with a very limited number of it available, so this may really be the buff that most monks need right now.

1 Like

Sorry if I misunderstand anything in your reply since the language is quite hard to read, I’ll try my best to reply.

I’ll also not enter into the general consensus of builds since in the end, anyone can be viable with good equipment. I’m just saying that such builds now hold more weight when deciding what build to go for as a monk (Goddess Zemyna, Ein Sof etc) rather than go the cookie cutter Cleric2-Priest2-Monk3-Inquisitor. Besides, none of the classes before Monk holds any important synergy other than support, so anything can be picked before Monk.

I won’t comment on the silver cost of maintaining potions/pills to upkeep skills, but I will say that if you regularly do dailies, such costs are rather minuscule at best. I am able to spam Double Punch indefinitely with proper set-up (Boots with stamina, stamina quests, arcane energy scroll, NPC stamina pills for me, I never used squire buffs or Red Ox unless I’m lazy) not including tree crystals, so this argument about how many Double Punch per potion/pill rotation or per 90 seconds, or how Silver cost should be a factor in deciding if this is a buff or nerf, is kind of a moot point unless we’re talking about DEX aspd arguments. Besides, you have other skills to use other than Double Punch so you have a bit of time in-between skills in case you ever even do run out of stamina to forgive downtime in spamming Double Punch. Whether a monk can still spam Double Punch indefinitely after the SP change remains in question until someone tests it on KToS, though.

Before this change, Monks have one whole resource called Stamina that is solely for Double Punch for Monk’s main damage, and SP is for all the other skills Monks have, one of Monk’s best selling points. We also have an independent recovery item for each resource (Stamina Pill and SP Potion), so I can dedicate one recovery item solely for Double Punch, though as a Monk I only use the cheapest SP potion I could find to proc Glass Mole card.

However, the main problem, IMO, is that with this change, is that our main damage, Double Punch, will now heavily use SP that is shared with all our other skills, which becomes another thing to worry about (Eg if we get hit by 1-Inch Punch, we cannot double punch anymore), and Stamina is now a useless resource for Monks. Stamina can be managed with scrolled skills, potions, items, tree crystals if we see it, and stamina quests that can be done on our own for Double Punch, but SP is sustained by potions, some hard-to-find items (Keitrys Potion, etc) and special skills that can’t be scrolled like Ein Sof for not only Double Punch, but all our other SP-reliant skills, thus giving more classes consideration unless you like to play in a party to sort that out.

The change did not show that SP-reliant Double Punch is far more viable than Stamina-reliant Double Punch or vice-versa. It simply gives Monks some new (guaranteed and possible) things to worry about:

• Monks will use up SP faster than Fencers spam Attaque Composee Lvl 1 before Overheat changes and might have to consider Double Punch lvl 1 (Though, nah I’ll stick to 15 no matter what)
  • Double Punch now uses SP, a resource shared by other skills (Probably will have moments where they stumble due to not having SP for other skills at times)
  • Other class build combinations to consider
  • Chance to use 1 stamina instead of 2 changed to 30% decreased SP usage, needs to be tested
  • etc

In the long run, this may be a small buff or nerf to Double Punch for new or/and veteran monks, but it’s a rather hefty nerf for the Monk class in general since Double Punch, our main damage source, now places its huge SP usage on a resource that’s shared by other skills. This change is questionable at best.

(PS: I feel like they made this change to make Enchanter’s Agility Skill more relevant)

1 Like

It might be a filler for those not going monk c3. This change might make other build paths more “tempting”. Perhaps, IMC want Monks to be a status ailment inflicter class prior to be a DPS class, who knows…

1 Like

Our status ailments suck. Also IMC thinks monks should use big unwieldy hammers so wtf do they know.

1 Like

Hello,new monk here. I read through the thread and haven’t found it posted or discussed so I’d like to ask a few questions. currently running C2 P2 Monk btw

-For attributes, does removing the knockback/knockup from hand knife and palm help with PVE?. and would removing the knockback from kamehameha make it any better?

-What attributes should I prioritise first? (the double punch enhancement?, maybe hand knife and palm strikes armor/bleed effects?)

-Also, are the 2H maces better for end game or should I go for a sword instead (maybe there are other better weapons now?)

Next a little bit about strategy (just curious)

-What’s the common skill rotation for monks in pve ? (after buffing which skills get used first? maybe some are used before buffing yourself?) where why and how?

-What’s my main role (C2 P2 M3 btw) when doing uphill defense? healing? wave clear? dps?

-Where to do stand when running dungeons (Cause you can’t cure when you’re sleeping)?

Other more redundant questions?

-Leather vs plate? (I’ve seen leather being much more useful discussed but just to confirm)

-I’m currently placing 3 dex 1 str 1 con (was doing this from the beginning and am going to go 3 dex 1 str every 4 lvls from now once I reach 100 con).

-What equipment should I aim for at different stages of the game? (early to 100, maybe 150ish, 220s, etc.)

NOT RELATED TO MONK PER SAY

-Is it worth it running uphill defense early on with other newbies when we reach around wave 17-18 ?

• Removing the knockbacks helps quite a bit when in a party so you are not knocking monsters away from your group. The knockback on Energy Blast is nice if you know you will be shooting into wall because it will keep the monsters contained opposed to just knocking them off screen.

• Double punch is the most important followed by Energy Blast and God Finger Flick. Armor break on knife hand is nice albeit short duration. Our damage over time skills mostly suck.

• i use a sword and dagger on my monk, but i routinely have a thaumaturge giving me swell right and left, which is crazy good. I suspect 2H maces will be better in most cases and solo play, even though i find the idea monks using big weapons repulsive. The amount of stats on that purple mace is unconscionable.

• assuming you have inquisitor at rank 8, which you should probably do since there are no other options, you will want to double punch until you get the debuff on the target. Its a 10 second debuff with the monk3 attribute. Once you see the debuff is on, potion if you use glass mole cards. Knife Hand for armor break. At this point you have 3 Seconds to do the following: Wheel, God Finger Flick, God Smash X 3, Double Punch spam.

• In uphill you should be doing all those things. Try to save your stamina for when you can double punch a group of monsters. Chug those cheap stamina from klaipedia on CD. Enjoy those red ox while you can.

• i dont understand the question

• Leather

• if you wanna go all out in pve id say skip con. For someone who is just starting out id say go all str. As you get more and more gear start going all Dex. Attack Speed is alot of fun, but when you dont have as much gear i think patk is better, but by all means do as you will.

• This is a race to the finish game sadly so i would advise not worrying about gear until you are 300+. I would recommend picking up the Vienarazis Mace once you get your hands on a practonium. It will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

• You can get a few things from uphill: Red Ox, lvl 2 gem abrasives, kiestas potions, and pvp points. Red Ox arent tradeable so those are only good if you get them on your monk. Lvl 2 abrasives show up on wave 8 and 23. You can use pvp points to buy abrasives from the pvp vender. I would probably say it is not worth it to run on multiple characters until you have a weapon you want to put gems into.

1 Like

To create a more stabilized dealing skill for Monks, Golden Bell Shield is becoming a stationary attack skill that provides both invincibility and resistance to knockback/knockdown, gaining you time until the Pain Barrier kicks in. This last part is because, along with the skill change, we’re replacing Golden Bell Shield’s Safety Zone attribute with a Pain Barrier one, which applies a Pain Barrier state for 5 seconds after the skill (your character will be able to move during that time).

About time GBS did something. Kinda moot with Gazing Golem card change coming.

Reading Ktest notes, apparently GBS gets an increased cooldown (10 seconds at lvl 5 to 20 seconds at lvl 5, + 10 seconds cooldown for pain barrier attribute) up to a total of 30 seconds. It sounds like a pseudo Safety Zone like that, so kinda mixed feelings about the update. Hope they tweak it more.

that actually makes this skill good. right now it is very debatable to why use it

Monk still needs more buffs, but golden bell w pain barrier was a good one.

30 sec golden bell shield seems too long
or maybe its just me.

1 Like

30 seconds is probably too long, but soon enough everyone will have perma pain barrier. So cool change, but we needed this a year ago.

I played the game a bit about a year ago, but I’m just coming back and I want to make a monk. The Cleric2-Priest1-Diev1-Monk3-Inq build looks very interesting to me, but I have a question about it.

Do the statues make up the difference in damage you lose from the Priest2 (C2-P2-M3-Inq build) required for 10/10 Blessing? Or do you just make it up in utility via the totems? I would probably be willing to lose a bit of dps if, say, the Vakarine statues saves me a bunch of travel time, or the Zemyna SP regen and savings make skill usage smoother and downtime between fights shorter.

I imagine I will be PvE and soloing about 99% of the time, which is probably all I’ll be able to do, given D1 would lose me the P2 Mass Heal.

Do not make a priest for monk. With upcoming buffs to pardoner buffs, there is no reason to have your own blessing. Only reason to take priest 2 is revive.
Diev 1 gives more damage than priest since the -20% cool down statue can be 100% uptime at level 5.

Priest 1 does not make a whole lot sense to me, since cleric 3 is amazing for utility and whatnot.

But at the end of the day none of that really matters that much as long as you got cleric 2 before monk inquisitor

#IAmBack

I’ll just have to set my mind back to EQ1 days and remember to buy buffs again. I’m assuming the cleric 3 is for Guardian Saint. So does casting it on yourself make the damage transfer a wash and give you the recovery gains, then? I could see that pairing that with the statues would make for some nice downtime reduction and skill availability. I’ll give your C3-D1-M3-Inq build a try. Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile: Welcome Back.

Oh, one final question – Does it matter which order you pick the paths? If I wanted to go C-C-M-D-C-M-M-I (or similar), would that work just as well as grouping them together? I just figured I could get into being a “monk” build quicker this way.

The earliest you can take monk is circle 5. Priest 1 would be okay for Resurrection and the soon to be 5 min Monstrance. I have never tried Cleric 3. What does that do for monks?

1 Like

I have p1 in my monk’s build because ress n monstrance too. Worth it.

I scroll moonstrance on my scroller. -> if it is going to be now 5m buff, there is even less need for priest 1 builds.

Cleric 3 is for heal tiles and longer fade. Guardian saint is more of a novelty then anything else.

I also use monstrance scrolls and unfortunately 5 min monstrance will be a priest attribute. I’ll be sticking with my Krivis 3.

1 Like

So, the changes for monks are coming. You guys mind testing and giving your thoughts/findings on the changes on up-keeping SP-reliant Double Punch (especially full DEX builds) and how much worse the damage of Hand Knife and Palm Strike is after maintenance later?