Tree of Savior Forum

With so many ex-RO players, who are older now, won't ToS become a cash cow?

Relying on the original RO brand name, concept arts and general feel, this game is gonna end up earning big bucks given the addressable market has a much larger spending power?

Discuss :smiley:

1 Like

#are you sure?

concept arts

general feel

http://www.ntreev.com/jp/img/main/banner_arctu.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/PWtJZ6yr3Cw/maxresdefault.jpg

in the latest interviews IMC officially calls RO 'a certain old game’

and indeed IMC’s Granado Espada over the years became a pay2win game. which us GE players fears ToS might become one.

4 Likes

Older but still unemployed. This forum is full of NEETs.

6 Likes

Appealing to the fan-base of an older game is not what gets a game a high income. Making the game of good quality and marketing it properly, is. Ex-RO player or not, people (usually) won’t keep spending money on a game that doesn’t continue to hold their interest.

3 Likes

well dont forget the history of Tree of Savior. the game development started way back to 2011 (actually further), also there are many different details like that the owner of imc games is actually the same creator of ragnarok, so why do you even think this is a cash cow?

Welp, I now can buy my own cash without having to ask mommy to buy pre-paid cards for me XD.

On the other side, the players are also grown up and can think better on their expenses, some will put spending money on this a top-priority while others will give this the lowest. As to kids, they just want cash.

I will only do it if the cash shop shows to be fair, and far from the actual RO market with all those sorted rainbow eggs.

2 Likes

Well… leveraging on the huge fan base that RO had which will most likely try ToS, there will be no problem in garnering a huge initial volume. If ToS maintains an acceptable quality like RO had when the creator of RO stayed… then I see no problem in maintaining a high retention rate.

Anyway… my main point is… Old RO fans have their own money now… who will play ToS. If the game is nice, people will buy every single cosmetic in the game :smile: I know I will :smile:

4 Likes

I look forward to play this with my friends like back in the days~ And would be cool to play with people who lives around me if any~ Hope it won’t be pay 2 win >.>

Not talking about pay2win. I think nobody hopes it will be p2w. But the cosmetics in this game will be limitless :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I hope they will be.

And I hope it won’t turn P2W too… May our payers be heard… so Cleric, very Priest, such Monk

Even mommy asker does not need to buy virtual money. You can actually get cash shop currency via adventure journal reward… Maybe its temporary for testing purpose ? Not sure…

If you have enough money to afford a luxury good like a PC that is able to run MMOs, then you have enough money to spend on a subscription, a cash shop or the single purchase of a game.
The difference may just be what purchasing behavior you may have(n’t) been taught.

And Ragnarok used to be a game with pay-to-play model.
If the players back then were able to pay the subscription fee, then I would say they had the money to buy from a cash shop instead as well back then already.

I highly doubt that there is anyone that’s playing games for whom earning money is hard to do. And having money is like having political power to a certain extend, more so even than a vote. You can invest the money into whatever you want and in turn make an impact on what happens in the future.

A little story on this topic:
A family member of mine was and still is highly proud of having achieved independence at a young age and they are proud of every single cent they earn. But the money flows out as it flows in. There are no thoughts there towards insurances, securing the life quality, investments or attention for strategies like the creation of budgets or even simple calculations of earnings of the household vs maintenance costs of the household. The missing controls and checks leave their household vulnerable to unexpected events or occassions, like something in your house suddenly breaking or not working anymore, or a member of the household getting into an accident and needing medical attention. You would call that person irresponsible. But most people tend to behave like that when they haven’t been taught how to handle money properly.

Even among 196 countries, there are only a handful of countries who know how to handle money properly.
In many countries controls aren’t part of the standards, similar to many households. Which easily gives room for their country to get into debts and leading their citizens into poverty that way.
If you take a look at each individual and see them as the authority in charge over their household and all of it’s members. Then most people in the West have a consumer behavior comparable to that of a corrupt statesman in Africa. They pay for what they want but they pay little regard to what they need. And most of all they don’t particularly care where their investments go to, as long as they get what they wanted for their money.

So is there even a need to ask? Yes, a lot of people will - as always - buy more than they need. Many others will not buy anything or little. The F2P model is great in this regard as it is aware of this typical behavior and makes direct use of it.

I think a lot of the people who are interested in this game have (maybe too) high expectations of it. Nostalgia partly has to do with it, but it’s not the main reason ToS looks so interesting to many people imo. And the game will have to fulfill at least some of these expectations if it hopes to live for long.
Personally, depending on a few factors like the activity of the staff, how they handle communication with the community, GvG and updates, I may invest more or less into the game.
It all runs down to what IMC is going to offer in the shop and how they handle the game and the community.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Update regarding the next CBT:

I’m a Beta tester on last CBT, your e-mail will receive a mail with a CBT Key on it and how to activate, if you got some accounts who got 2 or more keys, you can give the key to your friends, but once activated on steam, the key wont work on any other steam account anymore. :smile: Continuing the discussion from With so many ex-RO players, who are older now, won’t ToS become a cash cow?:

Worth the read sire. Thanks

they can ■■■■ me in the wallet for all I care. I’d still enjoy it.

2 Likes

heh, I have both of the music video play at the same time. The whole double beat makes it sound awesome XD

Came to ro when it realsed the euro beta version.
Kid then, 25 now.

And i am earning bucks xD.

Would spent money on cosmetics or convience items. As long as it isn’t pay to win like Archage and co.

1 Like

Hmm, what kind of payment model will be used for ToS? Is that known yet?

Currently it is free2play, which would have a cash shop most likely since they need it to keep the servers afloat at least. However, as MMORPGs usually are, they could change their payment method anytime (eg. free2play for the first months and then switches to pay2play) depending on how well they do financially

Well that’s one many players like us who have our own money now haha we wont have to bug our mommy and daddy for prepaid cards hahaha.

well TOS success will be base on how they will handle the game and specially the cash system, as I’ve seen the CEO of IMC is not into P2W games so I have high hopes for TOS. :slight_smile:

1 Like