Tree of Savior Forum

Will dragoon replace the tradisional pure tank after rank 8 given 100%melee damage debuff?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@razm2888 @Turbosodomy
Because tanking doesn’t just mean being a damage sponge it means holding aggro while not dying, all if not most fencer builds have peltasta which utilizes the evasion from guardian. Fencer also has a 100% evasion boost as well as the “block” from flaconnade. If you put a fencer and pelt3/rodel3 against a boss fencers will be able to facetank it indefinitely, pelt/rodels can’t.

Just because rodelero uses a shield doesn’t make it more of a tank than what fencers are more capable of doing. Magic? sure for maybe like 10 seconds and then what? Pelt2Rodel2Fencer2 is going to do better damage, and tank better than that garbage pelt3rodel3 (do you have any idea how much of a trash skill high guard is).

More importantly people should stop assuming murmilo is going to be the new “meta” for tank classes since we know so very little about said class.

2 Likes

dude fletchers draw a lot of aggro.
they must be a tank.

So i’ve tried Fencer tank for a while and it turns out the class isn’t good for tanking so very simple reasons:

1. Animations last way too long
  2. Evasion becomes less powerfull at higher levels whereas High HP is good throughout the game
  3. Lack of good AoE skills(or lack of any AoE skill)

Fencer skills have really bad base damage(honestly, they’re just bad overall.) so i don’t think it’s the best choice for tank characters who won’t spend too many points on offensive stats.

I would like to point out that i’m not saying “Pelt2/Rode2/Fencer2” is a bad build nor am i saying that Pelt3/Rode3/Murmillo is the superior tank build. I’m merely stating my opinion as to why i don’t think Fencer is a good tank class.

Edit: spelling and a few words

@kyle_ruiz6 every single 1 of fencer’s skills are offensive, i don’t see why would anyone pick fencer for tanking instead of peltasta, rodelero, or squire. (that assuming you want to be a full tank)
evasion isn’t really tanking, especially when future classes like murmilo are going to have access to more magic defense. ofc it will be a meta tank, what other class that you’ve seen from the swordsman preview had better tanking abilities than murmilo?

This is on a low-str Fencer. Let me know how that is bad damage, lol.

Random gifs of you dealing damage to a random minion without disclosing your equips, attributes, the cds of your own skills, etc do not make good arguments.

Sept Etoille, the “damage” skill you used in this video has a 30s cooldown, and Prepartion, the skill you used to buff your attack has a 35s cooldown.

No, Fencers don’t have good offensive skills.

You also forgot to mention that the monster you’re fighting against takes 50% more damage from piercing attacks.

Holy sh*t dude, I linked the original post and the fencer also posted his stats. If you are so damn blind there’s nothing I can do to cure your disability.

And I believe no perimeters were listed for your statement. Feel free to show a doppel/any other non-fencer swordsman build doing much better if you want to prove a point about how “bad” fencers are.

P.S. That is not my fencer. Lmao.

I disclose my everything or just about everything in public and that’s me but I guess that you know that by the time you see this post

Attributes are lv 50

here’s more/some info you’re requesting

http://imgur.com/a/u76FY all my gear (I think it’s all there anyway)

some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Y2gVCkddk

with more on my channel if interested

This would be the case for any swordsman with pierce attacks (most notably dragoon, I assume this is related to dragoons somehow since this is a thread about dragoons idk tho I just saw a notification from someone linking to my previous post post)

Keep attacking me instead of attacking my argument, that will surely enforce your argument. /s

Also, taking a look at that thread, he only managed to deal that damage in a PERFECT scenario.

There are so many modifiers in there, it would be too much of a pain in the ass to calculate the ACTUAL damage without them. Also, like i said in my previous post, both of those skills have a 30s+ cd.

You’ve also completely missed my point, the video you provided is of a DPS Fencer, not a Tank Fencer. Like i said on my previous post, Fencers need to invest a lot in offensive stats in order to deal good damage which is exactly what that gentleman did.

Did you completely miss this part of my post or did you just ignore it? In this thread, we’re talking about TANK builds and i was discussing whether or not Fencer was a good TANK class or not.

And like i said:

So don’t come to me with 20k HP Evasion “tanks”.

Actually I built this character to tank. You would be surprised how effective evasion is. You should also know that you need to be able to DPS to maintain aggro (it still doesn’t work very well though against maxed out fletchers/elementalists/etc. Would be even harder for a meta “tank” build though). In the helga video I tanked easily even when all my gear broke without much reliance on healers except the occasional mass heal

I have a pretty bad video of mass tanking in maven from a while ago but that’s the only other tangible example I can provide for now:

The only time a fencer won’t have some kind of sustainable modifier to their damage is against plate and ghost (but barb fencers can use cleave now to simulate it on…anything)

Most things I encounter are leather or cloth so yeah 0 cd skills with modifiers everywhere!

The real questions is: How was the Fencer class important during that massive brawl?

You didn’t use any of Fencer skills to maintain aggro, the only Fencer skills you used were Preparation and Lunge(once)

If anything this video just proved how ineffective Fencer is at tanking/maintaining aggro against a herd of monsters.

uhhh that was before the pouncing update so it was pretty bad and didn’t help much. I didn’t use those to MAINTAIN aggro, just to get it since I could hit more mobs easily. That doesn’t mean fencer skills can’t do it, it’s just easier with others sometimes. Also before the hitbox updates that helped a LOT

I also guess you somehow completely missed the 4321432423 composee’s I casted. Whenever other classes skill cooldowns occur that’s when fencer shines. Most other swordsmen classes have to resort to regular attacking after blowing their AoE cooldowns. Where is the mass mob aggro maintenance then? Regular attacking? That’s worse than fencer skills in both range and capabilities

There’s just no getting through to you eh? Well that’s okay everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Well Fencer skills are exactly what we’re discussing, if Fencer skills didn’t do a good job, what other skills from other classes could have done a better job is what we should be asking ourselves.

Maybe Pelt 3 builds could’ve just spam Swashbuckling 15 on cooldown and that’d be enough

Maybe Squire C3’s can use Arrest 9 and that might have been enough.

How would a Dragoon do in that situation, how Dragoons skills could’ve impacted that situation in a way that Fencer skills couldn’t?

Don’t take this personally, i’m discussing whether or not Fencer is a good tank class.

I’m not discussing/judging your build as a whole, that’s not the point of this thread.

Yeah I’ve no idea what the point even was because I didn’t read before the post that gave me a notification in this thread (I probably should have)

Swashbuckle doesn’t really seem to generate and hold aggro when you’re playing with people that have reached a sort of soft cap in DPS with meta builds

Arrest doesn’t generate aggro (but it would do a decent job at locking down some enemies for the rest of your party to DPS but then you won’t be able to contribute any DPS yourself and during the duration other mobs can rush in without being arrested)

I have a 272 dragoon which is what I quit for my fencer actually, it wouldn’t do well at all from personal experience. I pretty much had to choose between holding C to survive and doing DPS to maintain aggro. This also IMO defeated the main point of dragoon - being able to use 2h spears, but that’s another discussion entirely. Playstyle wise I would just hold C and dragon tooth and serpentine with cancelling the final swing when they were off cooldown to attempt to hold aggro which wound up not working and I got extremely frustrated with the class and rerolled fencer to do a better job at tanking, dpsing, and surviving.

Oh and no worries I’m not taking it personally, quite a few people bring up the same issues you do to me regularly

Don’t worry man, from another fencer who constantly tops dps if there isnt a fletcher/wugu or gimmick icewall build. Fencers are by far the best sustained dps for swordsman and single target tanks in the game, its not even comparable. I will admit we struggle with very large groups of mobs, but if you went barb3 that becomes a non-issue with seism and pouncing. Even composee or flanc spam hits 5-8 targets now depending on size and gear, the hit boxes are massive now compared to what they were.

If you’re talking to me as well as implying I do the same, I don’t top dps ever. I’m lucky enough to even get ranked in the top 5-6. But the people I play with/see around are very strong dps builds anyway

The thing dragoon can do is, keep swap weapon between tank mode and dps mode. And burst dps during pain barrier.

Well on fencer I don’t have to swap and can be everything at once

weapon swap lag is also still a thing somehow

This is true, but don’t be baited into picking peltasta or rodelero. Fencer is pure damage and with C3 will have 2 big penalties for equipping a shield.

With the card system coming you’ll be able to get +7 aoe ratio from a single card and that will make barbarian completely useless since it’s less than half the damage of highlander (even though barb is higher rank :weary:)