Tree of Savior Forum

Why players aren't coming back

There is no meaningful content in the game

From level 1 to whatever the level cap is now, all you do is run on a RNG treadmill and grind grind grind upgrade gear grind grind grind upgrade gear and it never ever ends, this is basically the whole game, there is nothing to do!

In other MMOs you can have a house and even train lifestyle skills like mining and farming, but in ToS all that exists is grinding.

Want more players? Introduce non grinding content. Or make the grinding more meaningful.

26 Likes

Tfw you realized this game is becoming an inferior copy of games like diablo and path of exile. There’s even loot chance as stat roll. Except it’s much harder to get drops in this game.

Not speaking for others but my reasons:

• no easily accessible free resets outside of rare events, apparently not part of IMC’s design philosophy
  • IMC wants us to settle with our builds, wants us to play them even if they’re fked up
  • attributes have long wait times
  • no free token during reset event, not even removing attribute wait time
  • very few character slots
  • pets take up slots, thus limiting the already little slots even further, stupid game design btw
  • can’t make more characters, not going to delete any
  • IMC wants us to buy slots or not make more characters, ok I won’t
  • hard to get boss cards like marnox for my sorc, monopolized by top guilds
  • heavy market restrictions for f2p, harder to make money

In conclusion, I don’t feel like playing my sorc or my fked up archer. It’s like… they don’t even want you to play this game.

12 Likes

You want everyone to chop a tree (Diev), mine an ore (Mithril and others), kill bunnies (armors) or weave cotton like Albion Online?

Challenge Mode is definitely a meaningful content, you just haven’t played the game at all and want to rant just for the sake of it. You can just level up by doing CM with all these exp events we’ve got and get nice rewards off these cubes.
Why players aren’t coming back? Because of this sh*tty FPS optimization where 99% of the player base needs to use GTX -1080TI + SSD to play “properly”. Let alone GvG which is non existent due to the same reasons + old bugs + desyncs and 1-shot fest. Basically PvP is dead and will remain dead until they improve their engine for saying the least.
Oh, and i can’t even play on the 340HG cause i’m a AMD user, there’s a huge portion of players having this issue, and IMC haven’t done anything since r9 came out.

tl;dr

PvE = 8/10
PvP/GvG = dead

15 Likes

Player daily peak count is around 3k. Not very good…

Tos now ok, but they need to improve PvP/GvG mechanics why ppl want to play full pve rng game? For challange? We can easly 1-5 with 2-3 ppl…

This game need much more balance…But still fun here.

PvE 8/10 ? But there’s nothing to do in PvE.
2/3 dungeons a day. 1 challenge mode per character. Raids are limited by resources. All other instances also have a daily limit. You have nothing to explore, close to no lore (you have lore in the main story and you have a few areas with a real story, but it’s really rare, and not a lot). Field bosses are also limited.
How can a game that’s full of restrictions can have 8/10 ? You don’t have anything much to do in TOS at all.
On other games I can go explore if I’m bored, do random dungeons, increase crafting or whatever. In TOS everything has a limit so you cannot. It’s only about doing your daily limited things and logging off. I don’t see how that can be worth a 8/10.

But it’s not even only about limits, because there are a lot of MMOs where you can only enter X times a day. The difference is that they’re usually 3 (or more) entries per dungeons, per instances, per whatever content the game offers. TOS is 1-3 entries at max per day or characters…

@mertbsrnn
Because not everybody likes PvP ? And TOS isn’t a PvP game to start with ? It’s more of a PvE game. PvP in TOS makes no sense since there’s no plot-related reason for saviors to fight other saviors.
Having balanced PvP is necessary, but it isn’t the main purpose of the game at all.

18 Likes

We’re veterans and semi-hardcore players, content is expected to be cleared the first week of release. It’s always been like that since 2016? I don’t think they are planning to release more floors to ET, it’s just way too boring and repetitive and i’m pretty sure they said on a dev blog they were planning to release content at a faster speed rather than every 6 months.
Most of my guildies are having fun with this update and changes, sure you can rate it 0/10 if you’re full Solmiki already, but i’m being objective, the quests for these “new accessories” for r9 classes are quite challenging and fun to do.

Source: https://treeofsavior.com/page/news/view.php?n=1116

CM’s are fun but get boring fast
It also gets really annoying when you get screwed by RNG and don’t get any raid recipes for 2-3 CM runs
This game has way too much RNG now

You do CM and have an RNG chance to get disconnected
If you get some cubes you then have an RNG chance to get a recipe
So you can have an RNG chance to get another recipe from the “raid” (it’s not a raid just a 5 player instance with 1 boss, ONE)
Which is a random recipe and probably not the one you want
When you eventually go through all of that and get the gear you want you then have to suffer the god awful anvil upgrade system which is again RNG and extremely punishing for badluck

I came back for R9 but this stupid amount of randomness will probably be why I end up leaving and waiting for r10

7 Likes

How u can “PvE” with ghosttown?

Some nice guys have to work…

1 Like

After 3 months hiatus I returned for R9 and reset event.
Max my main.
Going for hiatus again.

Besides from story quest and dungeon dailies, there really is nothing to do in pve. The new stuff is just the same old chores. I have no interest to try farm stuff with rng stats. Just got myself a decent HG weapon from market and I’m done. No interest in Mashinos gear either. To those who aim for it, good for you and best of luck!

I do need to level cards but what’s the point if I’m going back to hiatus soon afterwards? I’ll just sit back and wait for the next huge rebalance or even R10 haha.

4 Likes

Endgame content:

• level 300 dungeon: well… that’s NOT new content, but is always full (max 20-30 sec queue time… and probably the best xp/time spent ratio plus good way to get silver); problem: 2 entries per day (or 3 with token)

• new maps: well for me what made me play this game is the art (music, graphics) and the story, so I was anticipating this… but unfortunately the main story line is again real slim (yeah, time to kill Giltine at last!!! wait? who’s this pussy you can pretty much oneshot that’s 100x times weaker than any elite mob on the level??? that’s not Giltine??? oh well time to wait another year for more story…) and most of the sidequests are again just pick up this, kill that, nothing else… when you can actually figure out what the NPC is saying (man… a non native English speaking 8 year old child can speak English better than these NPCs…), or even talk to the NPC at all (neutrality status symbol missing on maps with dozens of angry mobs constantly spawning around you); oh and you will love the book mimics that can bitchslap you with their spinning attack from anywhere on the map or the clowns that shoot dozens of undodgeable balls which magic or physical defense don’t seem to affect…

• challenge mode: that’s fun, probably better than ET for PvM; problem: rubbish cube rewards (in fact, you do challenge mode for the normal monster drops, which are plentiful due to increased looting chance per level)

• new 330 raid dungeon: can’t tell about that, since I didn’t manage to put my hands on a raid portal stone yet after two weeks… and you’re supposed to use six of them PER DAY??? looking at the market, there are usually a good 20+ there for sale if you want… but only if you’re willing to spend over 1 mil silver PER stone

• HG 340: if you can gather a good party, that’s the place you want to be – good exp, drops… and you can enter any time you want how many times you want; problem: getting a party :frowning:

• ET: I was expecting more parties to do ET with r9 and buffed level 360 chars, but strangely, noone seems to care for ET runs anymore… I imagine ET items aren’t worth the time invested in getting the essences anymore…

So yeah, if you’re bored doing the same two dungeon 300 runs and one Saalus run every day, hoping you’re lucky to find parties for challenge mode or HG… just play an alt.

3 Likes

Doing ET runs isn’t very common nowadays, because players are either full Solmiki already (I’d like to remember that Solmiki has been out for about a year now) or can’t be bothered to do higher floors and they’re waiting for the Symbols like Lolopanther Area, which were introduced later in the game with Rank8.

In the end, going for anything below 8/8 is pointless since these new items with RNG stats are out, even the 3 set bonus (+25 all stats) is meaningless if you roll one/two good pieces with high green stats on them… talking from a Physical DPS point of view, as an example, you either go for single Medal/Gloves for that AoERatio if needed, or 8/8 for Physical Attack bonus or nothing… this was to be expected to be honest, both Lolo/Miki gears always had shitty itemization on single pieces to begin with, the only cool factor there were the set bonuses, so now that you can have similar stuff with this RNG system, people are simply going to grind their ass off in maps instead of doing ET runs… :frowning:

2 Likes

Stuff like mining, housing and farming aren’t the main objective of the game as it is. Games like Black Desert or Abion are completely different in what they try to achieve.

What ToS needs is content balancing and overall more interesting content to do. RO had very interesting dungeon ideas like Thor’s Volcano which you needed every party member equipped with + fire resist gears (a.k.a. Pasana Card) or Cursed Abbey floor 3 which was hard enough for anyone to solo.

ToS doesn’t really have any challenging content. The only challenge, if there is one, is killing mobs fast enough because they usually have way too much hp.

Game Designers need to realize just giving new mobs more hp / damage isn’t what makes the game fun. Mobs need more personality, more drastic weaknessess and strengths, strategies and overall challenge.

Dungeons can be made interesting, too. Thanatos Tower had a really cool lore and quest behind it. The map design was pretty interesting too, maps gradually becoming smaller and having the players climb up stairs so they would really feel like they were in a tower.

Aside from that, we need more equipment customization, which the devs have been addressing. Random stats in HG equipment and Monster Cards were good additions to the game, though they were somewhat badly balanced with the rest of the content. Gems that would give resistance to freeze, resistance to Sleep, etc, could be made pretty interesting to customize your gears with.

PvP doesn’t need 30+ players at once to be made fun. They can make it fun with only a few players, as much as the engine can handle, but adding diversificated game modes to it such as King of the Hill, Capture the Flag, Defend Fortress, etc. Warframe’s engine can barely handle 9 players at once (Raids and PvP), but they work around it and still make the game super fun even with that limitation.

14 Likes

If I was as free as I was last year, I would be playing right now…

Hopefully next year be more…

Peace-full

^this. The RNG is too much. Endless farming then you end up breaking your weapons or armors. Sure it is possible but what about the majority? They see people with higher ups then newbies end up upgrading their weapon but fail. So there is no chance of catching up to veterans anymore. Farm again? Then break their chances again? Again and again? Wealth is not democratize. Newbies stay poor for a very very long time, because being viable is locked behind RNG(dps wise).

I suggest to revise upgrading system and make it viable to all players. Not just selected “lucky” few (hook64 exploiter, RMT and botters). Lessen or remove RNG system on this game and make it progressive effort instead with couple of events that would support newbies. This game used to be from “get RNG rare weapon” from 190dg or world boss" to infinite RNG upgrading + saalus 1 yr worth of slaving.

Stat system is also uniquely trash on this game. Before we could see STR vs Dex argument in r7 meta. Now? What is there to argue? Which one is stronger, the one you invested stat points or the one who did not? The winner is the one who has trans 10 and +25 because of addons and hookers with botting RMT and event exploiters.

GVG neutrality was also a contributor to why people are leaving since the very start. Majority of us came from R.O. we expected focus on guild war contents. What we get instead is focused on TBL, the epitome of unbalance format + poop tier balancing. R.0 guild system > TBL. Camaraderie in R.O is really crucial. What we have on TOS is just chat room called Guild.

ET is also garbage design. I prefer Aura Kingdom’s sky tower instead. It is possible to have more than 50 people doing E.T and make it extremely hard and clearing is locked behind 50 guild members or more as long as there is an option to turn off other parties. Meaning you only see those people on your party.

The most important. Bug fixing is extremely slow. Why not fire your current incompetent programmers and hire competent people instead? Anything more than a week of bug is not good. It’s like a cancer that eats up your player base everyday.

13 Likes

It’s all perspective and some people will never be contented with whatever updates that come to itos. If you prowl here Long enough you will just simply notice many self entitled individuals here that will never be satisfied with the state of game regardless of how Major or minor an improvement is. It is indeed human nature to pick on somebody’s flaws.

Yes people can call these improvements an inferior copy of existing games from poe/Diablo. Some even hate the multi-layered rng . What do we have 2 months back? At least it’s a start and hopefully IMC further polish the end game content.

Poe is purely rng too , and rng in gears help to keep the market bustling with trades as players tries to obtain bis gear. You want to see the old market where 10 people sell the same piece of gear and each of the undercutting each other?

As for the stat argument above and only transcendence matter . Try building a full Dex/str monk. Full con /str Swordsman. Even with transcended weapon , stats still play a Key roll. I can only say you have no dwelled in the game Long enough and prolly not experimented enough. Try to build more toons and experiment about

So a show of hands , what’s your vga rate for you compared to 3 months ago ( klai patch update ). Yes it’s still possible to vga now but the frequency feels like it is reduced up to 95 % for me, although some skills still cause Vga (telekinesis)

2 Likes

I dont play POE and what I see from searching that there are tons of people telling this is bad. Just because POE is more successful than TOS doesnt mean too much RNG is ok. Also TOS RNG can be manipulated by cash items and exploits. You only see idiots who will publish the exploits in public for fame but majority of cheaters do it secretly.

You never had trans 10 or close to it thats why you would say that. Try to ask someone in your friends with high upgrade without stats against some dude without trans but with full str allocation. Who would win? Of course you dont know beause you never had trans before. Or maybe ill test it for you, ill clear end game contents like Solmiki and Raid as long as you fund my stat resets? To see if stats really matter to clear the end game contents.

VGA may not exist but frequent disconnection is the same if not more than with VGA before. VGA frequency happens because of incompetence so it is only natural to get fixed but what about the other disconnections? We leave them be and call it improvement whre in fact DC is still apparent. Specially in crucial contents like solmiki? How many DC you get there per run compared to before? You dont know? So we call it “improvement”?

3 Likes

That’s not my point.
My point is that even though there are some PvE contents, it’s super limited.
Let’s say you have your 4 possible characters. You do 4 Saalus, 8 or 12 dungeons, 4 Challenge Mode, do some Raids if you want, ET if you can. And that’s it. That’s the only things you can do, and you’re limited in how many times you want to do them.
Compared to a lot of MMOs where either some contents were unlimited so you could actually farm what you needed - in order to advance, or you had more entries a day (usually it’s 5/dungeon a day, rather than 3 for all dungeons), TOS feels pretty empty.
It is weird anyway because IMC tries to make their game a grind-fest (lots of RNG so lots of grinding needed) but at the same time they completely limit you.
So in the end when you’re done with the dailies or if you’re not interested in some things (like if you don’t need to do dungeons) then you’re bored because the limits make it so you cannot do/farm what you want.

And like you said, ET for example is repetitive and boring. When honestly, it could be the most interesting feature.
I’ve seen a lot of “Tower challenges” in games, and they usually shined because they gave good rewards and every floor was different and interesting. I still don’t understand why on TOS they made every 5 floors basically the same.
They don’t seem to try to make their different instances interesting anyway overall. They seem to work hard on the classes but only that, everything else is pretty shallow.
It saddens me to know I’ve played browser games with more diversity in their instances/challenges.

Well, personally I’m comparing it to other games I’m playing/I’ve played.
The only good thing TOS has for it is all the different classes, and on a personal note - the fact I’ve been hard for Shepherd since 2015.
When there are too many limits, if you’re busy for a few weeks you feel like you’re wasting your entries. It feels like chores, things you have to do rather than having fun playing hardcore whenever you can.
For example on a random browser game from 2012 that I just remembered, dungeons had some mechanics. They also had an ET-like challenge with at first 50 floors, then 100, and every floors were different. It was about strategy, and not about a timer and making sure you got your maximized weapons so you can kill fast enough.
There are actually a lot of examples, but I think that overall I understand what the issue for me is: TOS doesn’t feel like an actual MMORPG, it heavily lacks the “RPG” part of it.

4 Likes

Stats allocation depends on the design of the build. I went full str for my murmnobi , full Dex for my monk inqui and high con for my farmer.

Don’t need to show off how strong you are in this game. I don’t want to embarrass you further if you found out what characters I am actually using. I have 2 very invested examples to showcase how stat allocation can differ builds. A full str murmnobi works very well for bursting targets down however drawing mob aggro isn’t really his forte. He can help pull some aggro but not fully tank for the entire team. Meanwhile my 100 str rest CON goon has no issues tanking entire waves for my team . I am talking about pelt 3 kind of aggro draw and farming hunting ground without using a single HP potion. Of course this high con build isn’t viable without a good weapon but my point is stats really differs or Rather help shines certain builds. Any experience player here will know well enough a full Dex trans 10 monk3 will out-Dps a full str trans 10 monk3. The only cons of a full Dex monk is your SP consumption . Try punching at 5 DP/s (10 hits) vs your full str monk ( 1 DP/s) say your dmg on full Dex is 8000. And full str is 8000+ (250 x 6) = 9500. 100 str = 250 p atk. Do the math and you can see more. Maybe 2016 ToS I agree with you , but now with Dex-atk speed nope.
You just made yourself look like a typical whale:

I shall not bring pvp into the picture

Thanks for “helping me to test if I want “
Appreciate it a lot. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am lucky to be playing locally hence I rarely DC from ET/solmiki. Also I would like to pin point both dc and vga are 2 seperate issues on the client. I do get frequent VGAs in the past especially in town or after prologoned play. However I have seen my friends from other countries having frequent DCs in ET. Can only conclude it’s the connection side for ET dc whereas VGA is more client sided , since the game consumes an absurd amount of ram and processing power. From what I observe the client consumes less ram now and VGAs are rarer now. It is still prominent when to u afk in town for prolonged period

1 Like