Tree of Savior Forum

Why players aren't coming back

Yeah I agree with you it needs to be polished more . Hopefully it’s a good start and not something IMC will implement and forget about

1 Like

Players are not coming back because they don’t know this game had an update. Some players are too busy playing their newly bought games during Steam Sale. Like I said over and over again. TOS needs to advertise their game!!! Updates are just customer retention. In the business world you need to constantly acquire new customers to counterbalance customers leaving. Even if TOS suddenly becomes super stable 60fps with balanced gameplay nobody knows this game exists.

TOS is free to play. It doesn’t cost anything to try this game. But if TOS had an advertisement with 30k views maybe 10% of those viewers will try this game. That’s 3000 new players which will do the early to mid game content and will benefit from cheap items that high level players consider as trash items. So what if some of them write negative reviews? TOS already has below 50% recent review rating. But if you want this game to survive 1 more year then you need new paying customers NOT old veterans that will max their mains in just 1 week of casual grinding and without buying TP.

Personally I like Rank 9 update. It’s fun testing new builds. But is it enough for me to buy TP or DLC? Of course not. Why would I when Steam Sale offers cheaper games than their DLC pack. I also have a stock of Tokens that I bought with silver. That is why you need new players specifically new whales.

4 Likes

It sounds like most peoples want a fast min-max content so they reach highest level in short time and go hiatus again, then they expect IMC release content every month to catch up their hiatus increasing bar so that it is not “repetitive”.

Hectic Farm - No
Easy Farm with random stats - No
Easy Farm with fixed stats - Hiatus soon

I would say MMO just not for these guys, or just play mobile MMO with dual wield credit cards.
Or i think they too deepen with MOBA concept, every new match = reroll, face different enemies, rebuild for lv1, which is another kind of repetive and rng, but all settled in 30m-45m

1 Like

Exactly , couldn’t agree with you more. Gone are the days where people will immerse themselves in dungeon crawlers ( hunting ground ) to loot rare gear with nice stats after thousands of failed/bad loot. Everybody wants things to be fast and instant these days. Maybe people don’t enjoy the process of grinding and looting gear anymore . I believe many old school Diablo2 players will welcome such changes whereas the casual ones will drown on the multi-layered rng. Plain to say it’s entirely perspective. Half filled , half empty , it’s your call.

1 Like

I would say that the random stats feature still need improve, as well as crafting set need extra line of useful stats, while armor need 2 slots to justify the equality. I think is good for random gear slightly better than crafting but not too much like now, else it will defeat either purpose of doing that.

At the same time, orange need min of 2 lines, the disappointment of always getting orange with 1 line is not motivated or justify the excitement when it is dropping.

It would be ideal if blue only give 1-3, purple give 1-4, and orange give 2-4 lines of stat, 2h need 3-6.

1 Like

My only real issue with the current randomized drop comes from the major headache that is the transcendence system. If the base damage of the weapon wasn’t going to mean the difference of 1k++ atk by the time you finish with enhancing and transcendence then I would actually be happier to hear that equipment drop sound.

At the very least that’s how it already is for armors, it doesn’t matter as much if an armor is blue what matters is that it has 3 green lines +more. For weapons though it’s straight to dust if it isn’t primus.

EDIT: I guess to compare it to other loot grinding games, usually once you find a good weapon you’ll be using it right away (or with a reasonable investment) and then looking for a better one. For ToS you’ll need to get on the same level of enhancement and transcendence first before you think of replacing your current weapon. This kind of kills the hype for finding shiny new things and also kills future motivation in finding even better weapons after you do complete one.

5 Likes

I would give a 1 time go of my opinion toward the current system:
My conclusion is that ToS need 2nd Stage of Combat System Evolution, if not then better plan for ToS:2 instead with better game engine and more well thought of game design.

1. Many Useless and Uncreative Gear Stats
    Elemental Property Attack / Resistant are useless, they should revamp into % increase for particular element or reduce particular element damage by %. Like how loot chance works, something like 600 fire property attack = add for 30% of fire damage.

2. Unbalance Character Stats
    STR/INT is too under utilized, it was overshadowed by Transcendence system, it should either give >2 Atk/Matk in parallel with (3) described below.
    Con adding HP too much and Block, a full CON player is almost invincible and given the red pot recovery scale efficiently by % as well. Particularly this is the biggest imbalance contributor for PvP/TBL.
    CON should give lower HP and remove the block damage like how they remove crit rate from stats, only able to stack from gears, no body use their flesh, muscle and body to block attack anyway.
    SPR need to play more important role for wiz/cleric, improve the recovery rate but reduce maximum pool.

3. Transcendence system
    Transcendence is still cancerous due to how Log-Ratio works, there is huge curve from 2k Atk to 8k Atk. Taking average monster defense at lv340+ (1500~2500), to deal some relevant damage.

Below Table is your damage efficiency taking average 2k Monsters’ Defend.

An casual player or alternate character only able to stack up 3k-4k of attack, which dealing 51% of damage is not relevant to high end content. This is not beginner friendly and force players to do Transcendence. And Transcendence is hectic daily chores and gets boring easily, whats more it is untradeable, contradicted with its game design, you want players to create multiple characters to keep the game alive, at the same time IMC set so many restrictions to against players making alternate character viable.

It also resulted most classes especially Physical Classes compulsory need Transcendence to go at least 5k, and only at 8k-10k players only can do “proper damage”. And Wiz/Cleric can stack property attack / thauma to overcome the damage efficiency wall for beginner.
*While Sword/Archer have many crit chance / damage type % buff to be relevant at higher attack stage, but it is over exponentially that caused imbalance, such as shino-murmillo with very high buff % + shinobi’s clone apply on it to skyrocketed the number.

Suggestion: Readjust the damage distribution factor, reduce the role of Transcendence (reduce required shards by 50% each stage, give back 50% shards and only give 10% per stage (so at stage 10 +100%), give more Atk/Matk through STR/INT, readjust the ratio log down to closer the gap of low-high atk.

The above chart doesn’t reflect the reality, the Damage Efficiency % is the real problem to make transcendence being the vital cancer to force players doing the saalus. A T10 players actually dealing 30-40% more damage.

:to be add more and edit later

4 Likes

PvE content is good but grinding and staying for hours might be truly frustating even for veterans or non-rmt ppl who want to enjoy this game. 1st, challenge mode. Its fun, challenging, more loots but they make the recipe of stones so rare thus limiting you to do 330 dungeon. Want to get more stones? Go for more challenges with 5++ chars (i bet it will be boring after some time). Alternatively, farm freaking silvers to buy stones from market. Its expensive but easy. Or just RMT. Fastest and easiest.

See, the last alternative its really easy for hardcores that want to enjoy content with ‘might be illegal’ ways thru botting or buying silvers from sites. The hardcore farmer will be forced to grind no-life just to get 4 stones. And best, he/she might not get the things that he/she wants inside the 330 cubes. Then, rinse and repeat.

Im fine with the grinding simulator, its mmo, but its too much. Makes your invested time isnt really worth for the content you want. Its like the game tells you to do botting and RMT-ing silvers instead of all of this no-life grinding.

2 Likes

How about rewarding cooperative play. Why would i group with other people when i can farm faster and more efficiently alone using a schwarzer reiter or a thauma linker using swells? Nothing can compete with the ability to get double drops. If i wanted to play alone, i could do that in not an MMO.

1 Like

I can unserstand comparing the RNG loot system in ToS to ARPG’s like P.O.E and Diablo because they are similar and they do work in those games, though last time I played Diablo 3 it felt like a soulless loot slot machine.
But it works in those games because the drop rate is so high, when you kill a boss it literally explodes loot all over your face.
How much loot do you get when you kill a boss in ToS?

1 Like

To be honest, some people are even forgetting Looting Chance stat exists, lol.

Oh you mean the stat that’s rng to get and overpriced on the market and only whales and people who spend their paycheck every week on cash shop can afford? If that’s what you talking about then I see.

1 Like

Except that TOS was SUPER hyped at the beginning. Hundreds of thousands of people bought the Early Accesses.
Now TOS has a terrible image.
I’ve seen some people draw about it, then you have a few people saying “It looks fun and cute ! What game is it ?” and you always have several people coming and advising them to not play it because it’s full of bugs and the devs don’t care.
Advertizing the game heavily when it still has a lot of issues will most likely finish putting it in its grave.
At every more-or-less hyped patches they had (December/January 2016-2017, combat patch, R9) there have been players who came back, but they still eventually left. And some knew that R9 arrived but they didn’t even bother to check it.
Because it doesn’t matter if you have thousands of people willing to play when they literally cannot play. A lot of people cannot install the games, a lot of people constantly freeze and crash, a lot of people lag too much in town to move, a lot of people have skills/effects crashing them during fights, and then you have the game’s bugs (skills not responding or whatever). They need to fix this kind of issues before heavily advertizing their game…
Why would you advertize and try to hype people when your game is broken ? It’ll just give you an even worse reputation.

8 Likes

Compare this https://poeplanner.com/ to tree of restrictions with little synergies and tons of dead classes.
This is a game where a lot of players don’t use steam clients because of the politics of steam http://steamcharts.com/app/238960.
For example I play final fantasy 14 since “beta” with squarenix client only.
As you can see it cannot be so bad compared to the glorious ITOS.
I won’t go in details because I don’t think you will ever try at high content path of exile ever.

3 Likes

So much this.

I found a cannon that is much superior to the one im already using, but i’ve already transed the old cannon and gemmed it with lv7 gems. So i still havent switched to the new cannon because i need to get the lost blessed gems back, and buy/farm some new gems. This is why i hate transcendance with this system.

4 Likes

Beats having 20 identical items on the market.

It’s all perspective like what I mentioned earlier. There is always 2 side to a coin and the glass can be half filled/empty. Perhaps you prefer the old hunting ground where items are static and everybody undercuts each other till nobody farms the hunting grounds anymore

1 Like

SOllution: Copy ragnarok( they have already copy shinobi, BM and now muay tai), make “a woe” with differente name, open unranked pvp all day, a good gvg in a castle for a flag or other name emperium to be destroyed, pvp and gvg better skills analyses, ex: a stop can’t last 12seg in a gvg, same as raise; damage reduction; maps with pk, lag reduction in gvg. New dungeons( xp, not only drops)

The hunting ground is good, but the primus drop is so low…

But people do play grindy mmos/arpgs like Diablo and PoE and they do enjoy the process of making new characters, grinding and looting gear. It’s just that ToS isn’t a game where you can immerse yourself in dungeon crawling to farm fancy new items.
It’ll take decades for ToS to reach the level of d3/poe in terms of everything (itemisation, leveling process, performance, stability, etc…)

1 Like

Better late then never. I was dwelling in POE before I jumped on the tos hype wagon. Yes I agree everything there is superior. Well gotta see what imc do next about the itemnization and not forget about it.

I treat it as a good start for now, hopefully improve mods will be added to the game. (Suffix/prefix if you are familiar with poe )

Untill this game gets a new engine , I doubt stability will be prominent in maps with mass players and processes

People who know korean and japanese runes, if you could answer me this:

Are topics like this one common there? Or is it just here?

3 Likes