Tree of Savior Forum

Why does CH1 keep on crashing still?

This has been happening for a long time now, very consistent at that.

I’m not reporting about this, just a discussion.

Why does it still crash often?
Too many players? It still crashes even when below 50.
Was there any attempts made to fix this?
Do you realize it’s annoying to find a different buffer again because buff shops don’t show proper value until bought?
Or maybe placing that shop over and over again because channels kept crashing consistently?

Also several players are being kicked in channels without getting cm debuff, you cannot reconnect. Seems to be an issue with shinobis, if there are non shinobis getting this issue, do notify.

5 Likes

I always just assumed someone intentionally did it so they could lower shop competition or rollback their enchant fail. ;v

Hello! Good morning! :3

Please keep in mind this answer might be inaccurate or wrong, and that this is just an assumption.

Sorry for posting a too technical text but this what I believe to be the main culprit for the channel crashes through the day. It might be something completely different and totally unrelated.

1 - But given that the crash doesn’t affect other channels running on the same server [citation needed],
2 - and that memory allocation errors can handled in a way that keeps the execution on C++ code,
3 - and that channel crashing currently gives no real benefit to players [citation needed].

EDIT:
4 - and that access violation errors would either crash the entire application/server or the current thread,
5 - and that it’s not that hard to avoid, detect and/or handle these type of errors.

I believe it’s related to memory leaks or memory allocation. More specifically, on the Lua side. Lua VM crashes and loses its state when it runs out of memory, also, depending on memory size allocated for the Lua VM it might not be related to the machine available physical memory. The game might hit that limit due to code flaws that leads to memory leaks or not-so-really-code-flaws that makes the garbage collector unable to free everything it should, requiring some code optimization instead.

Have a great day!

[]'s o/

3 Likes

Or it could be a simple access violation error (0xC000000005) :wink:

This does not work anymore and has not for a long time.

5 Likes

This, and desync. Happens so often, the routine of force-closing the game and opening it again seems like clockwork to me now.

3 Likes

Hi @ZeroFoxGiven!

When exactly does this happen to you? Can you remember common cases?

Been playing only a little recently but I can only recall getting desync’d consistently during the lag of when someone joins the party. The known workaround for this is disabling Quest Sharing on the party menu.

Sorry if this doesn’t apply to your case.

There are some things in this game that are consistent enough and can have simple fixes or simple workarounds, just like the rollback on enhancement that is completely fixed and the flaw had low complexity.

Have a great night!

To be honest I get a lot of “brb relog” moments. Some examples:

-LOADING FOREVER: sometimes, the loading bar will get stuck at 3/4 or around that and won’t budge for some reason. The bgm of the map I warped to starts playing, and that’s it, so I need to quit and restart the game.

-HELP ME I PASSED AWAY IN CHALLENGE: challenge ends happily, party gets cubes. Then, the screen fades to black and after that you find yourself in the map you started the challenge in… Except for sometimes, where the fade to black becomes somehow eternal. You can still use the chat though, so you can humour the situation writing some foolishness in caps like “AAAA I DIED IT’S ALL BLACK, HELP ME FRIENDS” before relogging to fix it and come back to the light

-GO! TO! IMC!: the classic “I got imc’d”. Either you can chat normally but everything around you froze, your skills don’t work anymore and you feel like someone used ZA WARUDO, or everything BUT your chat works, keeping you in the tragedy of incomunicability. Again, relog.

-DOKI DOKI REVELATORS CLUB: you press ‘n’ to open the world map, and suddenly all map locations are surrounded by a black aura and ominous big pixels. If you don’t relog right away, you will see more and more graphical glitches until everything crashes. My hope is to get that big glitch with a full screen Laima telling you " Just Laima." Again, relog

-GRAVITY ERROR: old plain VGA error. You will have to relog, because the game just force closes.

For now I’m out of examples, but a honourable mention goes to the

REXIPHER/NETHERBOVINE SENT YOU TO OBLIVION: bosses who cast a blind skill on you might throw you into an endless bug of darkness. Will you relog and lose all your DPS, or make it a challenge-boss mode?

4 Likes

The servers are held together with the strength of paper clips and any small amount of tension can make it bend and eventually break apart.

Like if the servers were made of cells the cells would look like this;

1 Like

Quest sharing would cause the intense lag ? ‘-’
… I wonder why this kind of bugs happen actually. We used to not lag when someone joined, but I think it started about a year ago or a little more ?
Same for the excessive channel crashes. Given the crashes were always something possible, it didn’t happen that often and regularly.
… You changed your name, it threw me off guard T^T

@amberrei I think you might be talking about desync when you’re talking about “I got imc’d” :o
For the doki doki revelator club, I used to have this quite often. What I did to fix it was to increase the useable memory on my PC because back then I only had a 4 GB Ram and people on the forum suspected it might be the reason.

When it all becomes dark, I just keep playing :stuck_out_tongue: But it depends on classes and skills. When you need to target, it’s the worst, if not, it’s doable.

I did do some rexipher fights in permablind mode.

It was pretty fun, I have to admit. Still, I’d prefer if that bug was actually solved lol

Imo one Question remains: If most causes are not related directly to players…W-H-Y (almost) always CH1?

I desagree . You mentioned lua vm but it is the server side. Lua is certainly used in client but just for UI. Don’t forget the other times as discovered there was some commands to close channel and other exploits

The hypothesis that for me have the highest chance is due channel one usually have more players. Note I don’t say the root cause is the channel is overloaded or many other possibilities. It is due there are more people it have more chances things like that happen. Like , where would be more possible to drop a golden Avril, a map with one player or a map with one hundred players?

The root cause can be a bug in the server , like a command , memory allocation, invalid memory access, no validation of the client request and so on

Ok so, in addition to this…

Sometimes when you get VGA’ed or desynced in CM, you relog: you don’t have the CM debuff and you cannot re-enter
Furthermore, you also have your pardoner buffs refreshed

Not having the CM debuff means you can do CM again, but you cannot re enter.
I hate it when this happens, it’s the same with et bug before where you cannot re enter and you just ruined the rest of the party’s run if you’re the main dps.

1 Like

Yeah, got many times theses issues.

The et ones are the far worst, you make the whole party lost the run, and if it is not bad enough, it already occured on stage before boss (like 29 or 34) which means lost some time but what really make it extremely bad is there aren’t so many people doing it in my server at night, I took the whole night for one run that I lost by a bug

Hello, good morning!

@Goldie, I did it for a change of pace. :3

The game loops through a lot of quests when someone joins the party when Quest Sharing is enabled and this causes the lag.

@Cless_Alvein: Probably because it’s the channel which holds most people, events and triggers over time.

@Kannushi: I might be wrong but I believe the server also runs Lua code. Because:
A) shared.ipf contains codes which are never ran by the client.
B) ies_drop.ipf isn’t present on KR and JP versions.
C) The servers can be hot patched sometimes and C++ by default can’t be hot patched easily.

@Lostac, your Pardoner buffs are only refreshed when the channel crashes, that means the CM session is gone as well.

Please keep in mind this information is what I noticed over time but it can be completely wrong, they are just speculations.

Have a great day!

[]'s o/

The CM session wasn’t gone.

My pardoner buff was refreshed, I lost CM debuff, my party was still inside doing CM.

I can’t reconnect.

The channel did not crash, I just got desynced.

2 Likes

Did this only start recently with latest updates?

I might be wrong but in this case it seems likely that you were entirely kicked from the channel instead of the channel itself crashing. This does causes the desync since your connection to the channel server is dropped as well.

Yes, that’s the problem.

My fencer earned 4m redoing cm over and over because I kept desyncing and didn’t get debuff lmao

2 Likes