Tree of Savior Forum

What did you NOT like in ToS?

Well don’t be afraid, what are those “other things”? Let people see what you think. Maybe they will agree with you.

Well, there’s only 2 things I didn’t really like…

1. Solo play in general
  2. The grinding

They both kinda go hand in hand since all I’ve really done so far in both the International and Korean server is solo grind a bunch of characters. (Well, not really the International server…I quit after playing in there for 5 hours.)

How I’ve grinded all my characters in the KR server so far was by doing every quest I could find on every map and reaping most of the EXP there via the EXP Cards…in typical linear, on-rails fashion. Even if I got a few blue mobs which would totally outlevel me even further than I already was, I’d still do the quests simply because I believed the EXP given from the cards was that worth it. I’ve done this process exactly 7 times and it only got more boring each time. Hiding the sub-quests did nothing but provide an unnecessary inconvenience for me since really, that’s the only thing IMC did. They didn’t even change the rewards or anything. I do however, appreciate their intention of encouraging exploration.

More on soloing…I’ve been on several MMOs I know I can get by mostly playing alone, but for some strange reason ToS is not one of them. Everything I’ve done solo is somehow twice as boring as it would be compared to every MMO I’ve ever played. I’ve never partied with anyone, so I can’t say for sure, but I believe that if I had done everything I did with at least one other person, the result is that the content would be either tolerable, or possibly even fun. I know IMC wants to make the game so that soloing is viable, but if it’s this boring, then I’m not sure what’s the point in the first place.

And finally, I know this is kind of a dreaded topic, but the EXP rates…they were horrible in iCBT which is the reason why I quit in the first place. I know I would get nothing done if I stayed, so I stuck to the KR server (random note here that the KR server did have iCBT-like rates for the first few days…I wasn’t about to go through that pain again). However, even though I’m nothing like the hardcore gamer I was 10 years ago and now I hate grinding so much, even I thought the current increased rates in KR server was way too much. (I know that’s not going to be the game’s official 1x rates, but just using it as a reference here) I suppose, what I would like is some middle ground between those two EXP rates…just enough for me to max level over 10 characters within a reasonable amount of time. There’s just so many classes and builds I want to try myself, you know? It would be pretty frustrating if I couldn’t try them all out just because it would take like 10 years or something, but it’d also be pretty damn boring if I could have all these max leveled characters within a couple months.

Well, that’s the end of my stupid ranting.

2 Likes

The amount of bugs it still currently has.

As much I would like to ponder this I simply lack enough game knowledge at this point…

Is there any major guide about customization? I tried to look up some info but no source seems to cover it in-depth.(In regards to variety inside same class or char build approach, also variety of appearance for weapons/armors)

Are there areas where the amount of monsters can swarm you if not careful? I’ll certainly miss it if there are none.
Assuming monsters respawn around the area to replace those killed (as was in RO), how is monster variety or ‘type’ treated? I mean are all monsters “normal” category or they have tiers such as normal/magic/rare/unique/boss, also do monsters group?
Is there a list one can check for mechanics supported in game/items at the moment. For example do shields have block chance? Is there energy/mana shield featured? Auras? Channeling? Summonings? Haste/slow? Curses? I could go on all day =P
Also do items have high tiers such as rare/nique too, and the variety of mods items can contain.
Are there different times of day or weather conditions shown in areas?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but all concern my future like or not ^^

Lol I loved every second of it even on the 1/3 exp … The game simply needs some time to get Polished.
A month has passed since closed beta, I am sure many improvements have been made already.
The only thing that I could criticize is the world as it does not feel too too open, at least 1 to 50.
However mmo’s in general are bad in that respect (linearity).
First I have to see the game from the perspective of max lvl player to actually have this argument.

The combat has a strong focus on normal attacks. This is fine, but the normal attacks themselves should be interesting if we’re going to be doing it a lot. For example, add more normal attack animations. Seeing the same animation over and over again gets tiring. There are currently 2 on Wizard. Idk about the other classes. There’s an overhand swing and an underhand swing, which appear to be used randomly. If there were 3, and they cycled in order, it would give the feeling of using a combo, you know? This could even be turned into an actual mechanic for more depth. Attack 1 deals 100% damage, attack 2 deals 120% damage, attack 3 deals 150% damage. Something like that. Perhaps doing that would encourage standing still to cycle through each attack rather than constant jump attack spam.

Subweapons should definitely be usable sooner. From what I’ve gathered on the forums, you can’t buy a subweapon until level 120. That’s a whole button on my keyboard that’s never going to get pressed for 120 levels. If combat isn’t going to be skill heavy, I’m going to want to have more than 1 non-skill combat option. Subweapons are great for this and would greatly improve the core gameplay if it’s useful.

Attributes “do more” than the actual skills themselves. Investing skill points into a skill often raises the mana cost and the power of the skill. Basically, burst potential. Attributes make them more effective, like raising the chance of inflicting status. They also raise the damage of the skill without raising the sp cost. Attributes feel more mandatory than the skills themselves. They should feel optional. Many of them can be toggled on and off. I would rather attributes be an alternate version of the attack rather than just a straight up improvement. For example, a certain skill may slow an enemy’s movement speed. The attribute, when toggled on, could replace slowing movement speed with slowing attack speed. An attribute could reduce the damage inflicted in exchange for adding knockback to your skill.

Revamp the overheat system. Currently, it is advantageous to overheat your skills, which defeats the purpose of calling it overheat. Even renaming it would be an acceptable revamp, for me.

I’m not the biggest fan of the linear map/story, but changing this is going to take far too much work and I would rather play sooner than later.

5 Likes

1- Linear maps (Because is a rat race and that’s boring, we need an open world)
2- Lack of social features. (Good social interactions gives personality to the game)
3- Lack of cute mobs like that fat yellow bird. (We need more serious nice mobs, but also funny mobs)
4- Same death style to all mobs…seriously WTF.
5- CPU Bottleneck (Means low FPS on crowded areas, we need multicore optimization)
6- Cleric or “Break dancer” floor dancing skills i’m not pretty sure about if i like it or not.
7- Card battle…should be improved

Those are the most importants to me.

10 Likes

Judging from some posts in the forums, some parts of the community(especially that someone who dislike casual gamers) might very well be part what I may dislike in ToS sometime in the future.

Anyway, that aside. For now… I just have two things.

1. I didn’t like the chat box in the game. Soukyuu has covered most of my pet peeves regarding the chat box in this thread.

2. Granted that Wizards’ skill damage is massive for their levels. However, the MP consumption and regeneration was terrible. My swordsman got up to level 40 with half the time spent on her as compared to my Wizard that got to only level 28. Even though I went SPR/INT: 3/1, MP regeneration was still terrible! I could’ve made a mistake or overlooked something about MP regeneration, so if anyone can advise a method for speedy MP recovery besides hitting the MP potion hotkey every 30 seconds will be highly appreciated.

The only alternative I had was Bonfire. But I think the MP regeneration should be slightly increased with each stat in SPR. Assuming the recovery is 1.0 per point, increasing it to 1.5 would be great.

Lack of balance, although they’re working on it, but they are still not addressing the biggest problems.

Barbarians offer so many good buffs that it is almost a “must-have” class for good damage builds. I’m talking Aggressor and Flange. You can almost classify builds into 2 categories - those with Barbarian in it and those without. Also Barbarian buffs have no weapon restrictions so it supports all other classes in damage, making it pretty much no reason not to have Barbarian in your build.

Monks - Double punch, Energy Blast, Golden Bell Shield, 1-inch Punch. How could all of these skills be in the one class if you want balance?

These 2 classes are some of the few that keep popping up during discussions. Notice how, in comparison, so few people talk about Rodelero, Centurion, Thaumaturge, Sorcerer, Bokor? There’s a good reason for this.

1 Like

They are supposed replacing passive skills and some of these attributes have alternative attributes but not every skills…

Example…

Barbarian

Aggressor: The last attack
Savagery: Critical occurrence
Frenzy: Maintain the overlap
Warcry : Add Target
Warcry: duration

Highlander

Cartar Stroke: Collision Damage
Catar Stroke : Knockback increase
Catar Stroke : Remove Knockback
Cross Guard: Extend Stiff
Crown: Decrease
Moulinet: Critical occurs
Skull Swing: Can’t jump
Wagon Wheel: Splash

Based on the pvp vids uploaded by korean testers what I hate is the skills damage; it turn the disable statuses quite obsolete. They must lower the damage or increase the characters hp.

ofc the difficulty…
when I join the beta, I thought ppl was going to make parties and
die many time before accomplish quests

bosses are easy, everyone can kill… and do it solo -_-
No one respects the bosses in this game, is just another huge,
slow, punching bag monster that put traps in the map

If this don’t change, players will get bored
because nobody like easy games

2 Likes

please… stop… when the game is finished, bitch about the bugs.

people complain about the map being linear haven’t gone outside to explorer yet…They sticked to the quest, that’s why.
I spent last 4 hours of the beta period just to wandering around the world map and…well…it’s freaking huge tbh. The thing I don’t like about it is too little aggressive mobs, and too little village. They should diverse the number of village, not just some “check point”

1 Like

Probably the best comment Ive read in this topic so far, had no idea the game is a jump attack spam festival.

Also there can be different combos, like 111 (same button x3) ends sequence with a multiple hits attack, 112 ends with a cleaving attack, 121 ends in a quick move that repositions character, 12 and hold 1 pressed ends in a heavy attack, 122 a slower attack with bonus critical chance. I could go on all day :stuck_out_tongue:

Opens up many combinations for different small combos inside each class, they can also explore damage types and many kinds of effects/area/statuses whatever else to complement basic attack mechanics, if basic attacks are gonna be used a lot.

2 Likes

They buffed Rodelor, Cata skills and nerfed barbarian .Aggressor was powerful because it gave too much extra critical damage. Im not saying barbarian is weak but its not powerful as before… So now that they buffed Cata and Rodelo… Maybe Hoplite + Cata is now good combo? Same with Rodelor + Hoplite…

About the linearity it gets way better after lv 70/80 so i’m not that afraid about that.

Even after the nerf Barbarian is still almost necessary…especially when higher rank classes come out
Think about a Murmillo with Barbarian c3 vs a Murmillo without Barbarian c3
Think about a Fencer with Barbarian c3 vs a Fencer without Barbarian c3
Think about a Lancer with Barbarian c3 vs a Lancer without Barbarian c3
Rodelero still has no buffs, so won’t help with high rank classes.
With Swordsman in this game, at low ranks it’s all about what buffs you can take to help with your higher ranks. They gotta fix this.

Lack of customization. I have high hopes that this will change for the release, but I really would like some skin tones and eye colors at the very least. And venturing further into the ‘hopeful but very uncertain’ category, eye style types. And of course new hairstyles and additional hair colors but I already think these will be a thing. :tulip:

Customization at character creation is so important and helps you bond with your character, plus it’s boring for everyone to look alike.

3 Likes

Even thought Rodelo does not have buffs skill …it has pretty strong melee skill with low CD… Rodelo seems to be more like a support class instead of Dps melee class. Even his attributes support Ice and fire. So I think that not every class combination should have high Dps support possibility.

Targe Smash: Frozen Stone

When attacking an enemy that is in [Freezing], [Petrification] status, 20% additional damages will be dealt per Attribute level.
Targe Smash: Flame

Spreads [Flame] equal to amount of attribute level when killing enemy under [Flame] with [Targe Smash].