Tree of Savior Forum

[Vacant Spot]Spanish Translation of ToS/Traducción al Español de ToS -

I was the in the earlier group and I still have part of the translation I was working on.

I’d like to help this time again.

Hi there!

Count me in if you guys need help with some translations! Spanish is my first language and I’ll be very glad to help. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Andy.

@dyland_1995 @Faerie These are great news. Let’s get to work :smile:

By the way, you said we don’t need to work on this daily, but have you thought on any … kind of deadline system? Something so we can be sure translations will be done constantly and this doesn’t become inactive?

1 Like

@David, @trickandmagic, @juanelox, @rladoriomao, @Narue, @andervidal, thank you all for applying. And thanks to everyone else who showed support for the project. I’m really happy so many people want to help this take off.

That said, all the translator positions have already been occupied.

This means we can already start to work.
We’ll use this thread from now on to keep you updated on the translation process.

It’s possible that in the future, a new position might open up. So the people who want to help might still get a chance to do it.

@Geraru, about the deadline, that would be a good idea. Actually, not a deadline itself, since even the English translation isn’t finished, but the idea of projections to help us remain active.
In this context, “projections” refers to the estimate of work we would like to have done after a certain amount of time has passed. Of course, we can’t make an actual projection without having the, you know, facts and numbers needed to make the approximation, haha~ :sweat_smile: so we would have to work for some time and check out what comes out from that. I’m going to talk about this with @dyland_1995. Thanks for the suggestion!

And @Faerie, yes it is pretty damn fun to use the bold effect. haha~

2 Likes

Yeah exactly, that’s what I meant. Like have one quest translated before next week, for instance.
We should keep record of who is translating what and when should they have it done to move on with the next translation.

1 Like

Good luck! :heart:

20characters

2 Likes

Good luck with the project, guys! :+1:
And if you need more translators, count me in! :kissing_heart:

Send me a MP!
(varchar(20))

@MarinZep Hola! I’m willing to help. This game reminds me so much of my old days playing RO! I wanna contribute as much as I can so count me in for the translation!

EDIT: Just saw you are not taking anymore translators, such a deception.

1 Like

I have a question about this translation you guys are starting now.
As all spanish speakers know, there are a lot of regional differences between the different countries’ takes on the language.
What are your stances going to be around this? Will you try to make a “neutral” transaltion and roll with it, or are you going to get serious and make at least an european version and a SA version?
It would not be as easy as substituting some words, like in a US to UK adaptation, but I think it should be taken into account.

TL;DR: I get strokes when I read “ustedes”. Will I die playing ToS spanish version?

1 Like

Funny, I can’t stand “vosotros”.
Whatever you decide to consider neutral, it would be nice to be clear from the beginning to avoid inconsistencies later on.

I helped translate one version of RO to spanish years ago, but gave up when I saw more than half of the team weren’t caring for it. They either used Google Translate (which was horrible back then) or translated without context, making most of the story unintelligible. I took my time visiting the maps I was translating, following quests, and etc, to try and give a clear, understandable translation. Some of us play English versions of games because Spanish translations are usually pretty bad :confused:

I wish you luck guys.

3 Likes

neutral translation please :’(

1 Like

@chapetal
Why would making an european version would be “getting serious”? I’m not sure I get this.

Anyway,

That’s part of the “guidelines” document I’m making, to clear up your doubts. (Because I also agree that subjects like this should be stated early on.)

I’ll explain why we use neutral Spanish instead of European Spanish.

First off, it’s the same reason why we don’t use “Vos” instead of “Tu”.
I’m from Argentina, and it’s more common that people use “Vos”, but in the rest of Latin America, people use “Tu”.
It’s just more widespread. We’ve got to make wise decisions, and in situations like this you usually go for the “mainstream” option, since it appeals to a wider range of people.

Then, there’s also the fact that only one of us is from Spain, and it’s hard to deal with completely different verb conjugations you don’t use in your everyday life. Well, it’s not really that hard, but we’re trying to make as little mistakes as posibles. We don’t want to have to double check each file to make sure that everyone got the subject and verbs right.

Vocabulary is also an issue. In Spain, there are a lot of homonyms with very different meanings from the rest of hispanic dialects (The most famous example would be “coger”). And some other times, there are words that are usual in European Spanish translations but not in Latinamerican translations. (You can see examples of this in words from technological contexts, in which Latinamerican translations have always been more similar to english. For example, “Ordenador” y “Computador”, or “Ratón” y “Mouse”.)

Also, we’ve got a short space to work with.

“Tip: The translations should be kept as short as possible to fit in game UI.” ~ IMC, English translation page.

That explains it quite effectively. Simply put, the conjugations of vosotros are longer than those of ustedes. And yeah, it’s only 3 characters longer on average, but that can make a difference.

Anywho… I really wouldn’t want the difference in dialect to ruin your experience, @chapetal, but there’s nothing we can do about that.
If it makes you feel better, in Latin America it’s incredibly common to run into spanish-translated games that are in European Spanish. And for someone who lives in Argentina like me, Spanish dubs (that are often made in Mexico) sound a tiny bit silly. But in both cases, the translation have this sort of charm to them, and you end up getting used to them quickly. And when they’re done well, you even end up forgetting they are translations and dubs.
That’s the sort of experience we want players to have when using this translation.

5 Likes

@MarinZep, thank you for the professional reply. Sorry if I expressed myself wrongly there, I just wanted to address that making both versions would require more workload, hence getting “serious”.
I expected this situation, to be honest, but I had a sliver of hope that the team would be more diverse.
I will play the game in English, then (and so will do all the people I know), because neutral Spanish does sound jarring to northern native spaniards. I am bilingual and do not care much about this issue, but I know for a fact that other people will. Be ready for that.

Anyways, I wish you guys the best of luck and willpower to tackle this titanic task.

3 Likes

is there any link to show all the progress?

As for now I’m the only one in the team who’s from Spain, but as Marin said we’ll go for the neutral approach.

There is no way we can translate something to Spanish and make everyone happy. But we’ll try to do our best.

If there’s any word I find weird as a Spanish, I’ll let them now and viceversa.

And honestly, you’ll get used to it, I don’t see a major problem in Ustedes instead of Vosotros, for instance. I can understand your concern, it doesn’t sound right to me either, but it’s because we’re just not used to it, but it certainly won’t ruin your experience.

1 Like

@shinobu_0
Not now. We are still defining guidelines but soon sure we will have a link for you to see the content.
If we do not get official support I hope to create a patch “fanmade” to ToS.

1 Like

Hi! marin and dyland, i interested in give us help in the traduction of ToS i domain neutral spanish how inglish and i really interested in help us ^^

@MarinZep I’m Spanish from Spain if that’s something :confused: I’m still happy to help if needed. Regarding the “ustedes/vosotros” thing, I think absolutely each of you are getting it wrong… It shouldn’t be one becacuse it’s shorter, or another one because whatever. It’s simple as “ustedes” should be used when it’s a formal conversation, perhaps with an authority or somebody you may not know well and “vosotros” when it’s a conversation between friends, an informal conversation or with somebody you may know…