Tree of Savior Forum

Utility in equipment

after the second CBT, I wanted to just basically express my feelings about equipment (from what i observed as of me reaching level 90 Psychokino Second Circle at the close of CBT2)
in my time playing, I came across two particular items that I was really impressed with. The Ludas Staff and the Cyro Staff. what made these items stick out to me so much so that i could remember them by name, was the abilities that were tied to these items. for those that don’t know, the Ludas staff and Cryo staff carry with them a passive increase of one rank to all Pyromancer and Cryomancer skills respectively. I believe these two items to be the tip of the iceberg for what item diversity can be. and how we can add power to items beyond simply upping stats
Simply put, I believe the game could benefit from more utility in its equipment. The current linear progression through items simply boils down to “moar stats/higher level = will equip”. There’s no reason to keep an item relevant by spending money on socketing/enhancing which means these services go overlooked by anyone who’s not working with endgame equipment.

I’m curious to hear how you guys would feel about this, and as well what kinds of abilities do you think would be a good fit for items. Since Ive stated my oppinion on the matter above, let me be the first to offer examples of my own:
Paper fan-type subweapon that allows access to a rank one “gust”
Pardoner-made scrolls that contain basic skills like rank one “heal” “earthquake”
Shoes which allowed the wearer to use a rank one “teleport”
Bangle with a 2% chance to auto-cast a rank one “pain barrier” when receiving damage.
Gems which could increase one’s AOE Attack Ratio

my point being, I believe power can be more then just numbers, and even a NARROW pool of choices can be profound and in-depth if you’re choosing between raw power and secondary utility. Just based on my personal experience of upgrading my cryo-staff to +9 and socketting it with two well-leveled gem just because I loved having longer ice walls and stronger ice bolts at the cost of power. I believe that creating these kinds of meaningful choices in the equipment system can do a lot of good for the game. and I’m very interested in hearing your ideas on the matter

8 Likes

I agree, adding more variety to items would make things significantly more interesting. Currently the only real factor on most items is def or damage and it becomes painfully obvious which gears you should be using. This also makes at least 90% of the gears in the game serve no real purpose since there are obviously better gears that can be bought for cheap off the market.

I would like to see certain items adding skills of other classes, like the +1 Teleport shoes you mentioned, or chances to cast skills on hit (as long as the skills cast do not have any cast time - because that would get annoying really fast). Items with these unique features could have 1 less slot than usual so that players will need to make trade-offs when choosing their gears, or they will need to carry multiple gears to swap to as needed.

I would also like to see monster gems having significantly more effects and being more useful than they currently are.

1 Like

I agree. In an earlier post concerning some class and a little general feedback I made a similar mention; that the lack of varied items resulting in people having to just pick the items with the highest numbers wasn’t favorable and just… sloppy and incomplete feeling lol

I don’t think there should just be one or two unique items for a class every 100-200 levels like we saw in this CBT. Following that we would have a total of roughly 6x “unique” picks for our class by lv600, of which only 2 would be viable for the very end game. We need more unique items. I don’t really care about the stats as much, so long as it is within the realm of “viable” for your level, but what I do mind is the lack of cool effects and abilities that aren’t just a chance to burn, or a little extra elemental damage, etc etc.

2 Likes

I definitely want to see this feature implement but with boss cards being able to be socketed into your equipments

1 Like

That would be amazing. It would definitely open up cards as being potentially needed by everyone and really make hunting those cards more worthwhile.

Yes and potentially can make a build around it too

1 Like

I highly agree. There are only 3 or so weapons in each category that seem kinda INTERESTING…everything else just has better stats…its really boring :frowning:

1 Like

Thank god someone necro’d it, because I was half tempted myself.

For giggles:

1h Sword: Enemies have a 5% chance when killed to respawn as skeletons with a maximum of (2) skeletons summoned at once.

1h Sword: Auto Attacks made with this weapon return 10% of damage dealt as HP

2h Staff: Pressing © casts the unique spell “Tangle Root” with a 30s CD; “Tangle Root: bind up to (X) enemies and inflict a poison dot for (4)s”

1h Dagger: Threat generated -50%, remaining stationary for 5s applies stealth. Moving or attacking removes stealth.

1h Shield: Grants user access to the unique skill “Elemental Tower”; "Elemental Tower; can only be used when (name of shield) is equipped. -50% Fire damage received and +50% Ice damage received. Using this skill again applies +50% Fire damage received and -50% Ice damage received.

1h Rod: Auto Attacks have a 5% chance to summon a Flower Hanaming; Flower Hanaming will leave a Heal tile wherever it runs up to a maximum of (5) heal tiles before dying.

I mean I could pull 500 of these things out of my *** without even really putting thought into them. And I’m sure the community could come up with amazing items.

But, still it remains, we do not have items in game that function this way. Toy Hammer… aside from that (at least that I can recall) everything we have just boils down to which weapon has more slots, or has more PATK/MATK values, which item may add +1~2 to some skills… so, so, so very generic.

1 Like

Yeah! Equip like these would be awesome. I love equip that enables unique playstyles. I really hope we get things like these. Right now the equip is mostly really boring. Artifacts and those amulets (or whatever they are called) seem interesting…but they are still kinda boring.

1 Like

Exactly, man I miss those kinds of items that you can make entire builds around if you wanted to. Diablo 2 kind of spoiled me in that sense because for years and years you could roll characters with specific gear in mind and plan around those traits the gear gave you.

Indeed, TOS could learn example from Path of Exile.

Rare items (Yellow name in PoE and Purple name in ToS) function as best items in terms of statwise among other grade items of the same level.

Unique items (Orange name in both PoE and ToS) are meant to be less powerful overall than high-level rare items, but they are useful at low/mid levels and allow creative character builds to be based around them. Some exception of Unique items with powerful stats and utility which will be the item that most people sought after can only be found in end game raid dungeon and drop from highly difficult boss.

1 Like
1 Like

lol’d, why haven’t I seen that until now? =(

you are welcome.

1 Like

Thanks lol tired of getting killed in tf2 (I suck so badly) so came back to forums, now I know what I’ll be doing for a while =)