Tree of Savior Forum

Throwing Equipment and NPC retrieval

Among the skills in the swordsmen tree Shield Lob(Peltasta) and Spear Throw(Hoplite) and perhaps Sub Weapon Throw (im assuming for Shinobi).

These skills will throw your weapon and if you fail to retrieve them they will disappear FOREVER…well last i heard.

Perhaps these equipment can be retrieved via an NPC where a player can retrieve the said item at certain cost.

Because seriously the risk are big if you lose equipment. Imagine if a simple lag/delay/long debuff/lost connection and the precious items is LOST! then these skills are not worth taking at all.

But really IMC cant the item just be retained in the inventory but have a count down timer + low durability before they can be equip again by the player as a penalty.

2 Likes

hmm so throwing skill has a cost eh? good thing theres no throwing skill in my build choice @_@"

condolences for those who throw weapons :sweat:
hmm probably a companion can retrieve the weapon (probably in passive mode companion) with the penalties OP sudjested maybe? :thumbsup:

the penalty of unable to retrieve the item is certainly not worth it, the risk are way too big.

hmm how about subweapons that has chains (if their’s any)? they probably recoil back to the owners XD…
also… if their is a shield boomerang… probably it’ll be cover for lost and found NPC …lol

hmm well the lost forever thing is realy a bummer if they’re gonna implement it in ToS… realy is risky… specialy if ur subweapon/daggers/sheild/spear is wort tons of ingame money @_@"

i certaily want IMC to change it.
question though… upon death, do our equipments drop too?

Its not shield boomerang like RO’s crusader, it Shield LOB(throw) it doesnt return until you retrieve it.

oh so they called it shield lob … oh well… shield lob it is haha but that sucks… @_@
i wont get that skill if it aint recoiling back my sheild =V but if itll give x50 normal damage then why not sacrifice a sub sheild? i guess carrying 2 or 3 useless sheilds will be much convinent right? specailly if it gives tons of damage to enemies XD

As rhidz said, if the skills give enough of dmg / effects compared to non-throwing skill then maybe it’s worth to use them with your sub equipments. And if someone gets panicked / presses a wrong button and throw their main EQs away and unable to retrieve them then… well… keyboard / monitor smacking time. :persevere:

the Hoplite has throw spear its main weapon!

it throws spears too? @_@

good luck being hoplite dude! im pritty much of a melee 2 handed sword build… so i dont have to worry about throwing weapons haha
hmm maybe its another ToS feature … but honestly i just want to lost some durability or equipment penalties rather than completely deleting weapons when unsuccesfuly retrieve =_=

The idea sounds fun to me, but only if thrown item never disappears. Like it was in single-player Diablo 2 when you die and leave the game. The next time you launch the game all dropped items are near you in town.
If done this way retrieve mechanics works somewhat similar to skill cooldown and is totally ok imho.

I will be surprised if they dont implement an undo button to NPC shops. I assume there is an X amount of time you have to undo your purchase after you leave the shop menu

Are you sure the weapon will be lost?

To me it sounds more like you throw your weapon and if you don’t manage to pick it up in time, it becomes unavailable for use until the skill is off CD.

Most skills have the ability to be re-cast several times before they go on CD.
So it would make sense that if you can’t manage to pick up the spear again, you won’t be able to re-cast the ability and instead instantly goes on CD.

No idea if that’s how it works tho.

I still don’t understand why anyone thought this was a good idea.

It’s a very risky mechanic for a very minor gimmick.

Now if the shield/spear/whatever would be retrieved automatically if you return to town, but have to go pick it up if you want to continue using it right away, that I’d understand. The “whoops it’s lost” if you don’t pick it up that’s the glaring issue here.

I mean “sub” as in “not important”. >_< Like you have your main spear which is a rare one but if these throwing skills are strong enough, you may not need to throw that rare spear at all but use some low-level generic spear instead. So they work like arrow, bomb, etc but at least we can retrieve them. And if the skills are good enough that you don’t need to carry a good spear at all then I think they are not that risky. Maybe a bit costly but not risky.

I have seen some games that use a mechanic that requires losing your weapon to create minion, trap or just to throw it out and make it explode. You can just use low level ones that you can farm hundreds of them easily if the skills are good enough with that.

at end game where you have SUPER OP SPEAR OF DOOM that cost bazillion $$$ lost due to lag.

I don’t really understand.

If you build a character around the idea of throwing spear of course you wouldn’t need a “SUPER OP SPEAR OF DOOM”, instead you will need generic spears which you can easily farm to throw them. Even if you carry some rare spears, I don’t think you can easily mistake and lose it like how you put, but in the first place your build don’t need to carry a spear like that. No one forces you to build a spear throwing character then equip that very character with a rare spear. Why would you do that?

So it’s like this. You build a character that based on throwing spear to people’ heads then don’t use rare spears but carry lots of lower level ones. If you build a character that stab people in the head with your weapon stays intact in your hands then go find your “SUPER OP SPEAR OF DOOM that cost bazillion $$$” and use it.

I know you hate it when people comparing something with RO but then think about the Biochemist job, they throw bombs, the kind of item I think are quite harder to farm than some low level spears. So if these biochemists can throw their things all day like that, I am sure it’s not a hard choice for some people to throw some lower level equipment with a risk of losing it, as long as the skills are good enough.

1 Like

we all had our stupid moments in gaming where we pressed the wrong button.

throwing equipment are not worth it if the risk are too high.

I mean if your build are around throwing spear then why would you even need to carry a rare spear? It’s a part of the build, you be a spear throwing character then you need to learn to not carry spears which you don’t want to lose. Also if throwing spear is strong enough then of course it needs its cost. But still I don’t find it’s very high the chance of you mistakenly throwing a rare spear while intentionally build your character as a spear thrower then get lagged / disconnected / etc and lose the spear. And by it’s not very high, I mean it’s very low.

So it’s simple that if you are not planning to throw your spear then don’t put your skill points to that skill. How can you mistakenly press a wrong button then? Just let the people who are willing to take the “risk” to use the skill, no way you can lose your spear like this.

Again, I know you hate hearing people mentioning RO but I feel it’s a little bit like an assassin cross carrying their poisons then accidentally press a wrong button and drink their own poisons. I don’t know many if even one that did this.

Did they change the shield lob? Was it the same as spear throw previously? Cause from what I know this only applies to spear throw. Shield lob doesn’t have the same thing from what I’ve seen. You don’t need to pick it up.

Looks like those hoplite users must prepare some ■■■■ spears in their bag so they can throw them all without any regret.