Tree of Savior Forum

The game state for newcomers/returning (no salt)

I have spent 2,5k hours in 2017 playing this game, says steam.
I recently gave to myself a second chance because I am somehow fond of it. Let’s also say the 3rd chance, having actually tried it again shortly after re:build.

I’m almost shocked by the fact the game still exists in this state. Trying to make it more enjoyable for me, but after 20 days I’m already considering to uninstall it for good.

The endless power scaling
Oh boy. This is the worst. It actually used to be different, grindy but with a . . . reasonable aim? Transcendence was “a bit” unbalanced, it was also the Dina Bee era so a couple of bot users managed to buy countless shards, but that was somehow the exception. Upgrades were a bit stressful but you didn’t feel any real urge (tools such as Diamond Anvils didn’t even exist, so . .).
I tried to figure out what I could need to be “decent”.
Gear, upgrades, gems, transcendence, cards, legendary cards, ichors, arts, attributes.
I’m probably missing something. Isn’t it a bit too much for a niche game? How newbies are supposed, if interested, to fill up the gap? lol

The complete absence of tooltips
I already had a decent knowledge of the game. Farmed Solmiki, was decently fun, TBL, GvG. So at least I know (more or less) where to go and (more or less) what to do.
But jeez, they didn’t bother to write down anything useful and clear. When you hit a specific base level a window suddenly pops up, but it is so vague you won’t even pay attention at them after a while.

Boosted EXP scaling, awful gear scaling
Seriously. If you allow me to 1-410 in two days without any effort due to the boosted nature of the quests, at least do a permanent giveaway of Legend gears, upgraded and with a decent stage of transcendence. The very same you used to give away freely with a few past events, lol.
You hit your cap, then you try to even just grind a bit for a few mats - completely useless and outdated ones - and you will figure out you struggle even in a CM4 solo, unless you chose a proper build (then what’s the sense of adding new jobs? lol. Rip outlaw).

The whales
I think I am a decently experienced MMO player, still playing actively a couple of “big titles”. I don’t even consider ToS to be Pay2Win, more like Pay2Pay and that’s it. I have never, never saw in any game such irl money giveaway, can’t tell you how many people yesterday proudly bought 100+ cubes and started to open them.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with it. I mean, good for the company who runs the game.
But . . . I can’t believe there’s not a game out there, a polished and well developed one, you don’t like. I mean, just whale in BDO. But that’s too subjective, so I apologize in advance.

The community
Oh boy v.2.
Playing at GW2, FFXiV, occasionally League of Legends, played a bit in the past also at BDO and BnS (not that much, a month and not even intensively).
I have never seen such terrible community. You read well, not even League is close to ToS standard
Salty, angry, unhelpful, yet small in a way you start to suffer from claustrophobia.
I’m talking about 150 players at max in the Server I’m forced to choose, the very same old chore playing since 2016-2017.
And the question is obvious: if your number is so small, if you constantly talk about the death of the game and the fact it’s bad (but addictive for you, and it’s fine in this way, I mean, it can happen), why are you so ??? awful towards newbies and returning players, lol. Every player (and in two days you basically meet the whole population) dismisses you due to gear/unpexperience, don’t even dare to answer to any question (and the question could be something like ‘Can I ichor unique 400 gear at first?’).
I mean, take a look at the mentorship system of both FFXiV and GW2, it’s genuinely a good feature, lol.

The reason 4 servers from far east to NA sit on 1k players
I mean, people quitted the game because of:

1. Poor, awful, terrible optimization
  2. The biggest amount of bugs I’ve ever seen, not even comparable to the Bless online monster
  3. Well, maybe because the game didn’t have any content except of saalus for more than one year, without any announcement, while the former “GMs” Papaya & Mango kept flaming in the Forums and everyone was ???
  4. You removed GvG without even a line in the website to explain why and how
  5. Still, the game was more balanced (wow I actually said that). Rank 8 maps and field bosses made you feel part of a PvE community, GvG was awful but you could still laugh because of the countless crashes. The openworld was more alive. In short, ToS had more the feeling of the MMORPG.

Seriously, noone asked for the implementation of the endless powerscaling which keeps busy 4 players, nor the most scammy ishop I’ve ever seen, lol. The game now runs smoothly I’d say, far from perfect but probably above niche standards, so I seriously don’t get why IMC/Nexon decided to develop this kind of “content”.
I appreciated the idea of the raids (well, there was lolo/solmiki back then) and the idea of the weekly entrances borrowed from other games, but joining the last tier raid as a newbie requires an insane amount of effort, while the ones of the previous tiers are usually solo’ed.
(not to mention the fact is a bit hard to make a party when the community is made by 100 players, flaming at you because you still don’t have a boruta seal/+20 Skia Varna, oh well).

I mean, I really liked the new class trees, wanted to give it a try, quitted a game because it was “too hardcore” and I don’t have much time to play now, so I picked up ToS again.
Guess what, it is even more hardcore than the “big game” I quitted.
But guess everyone’s happy thanks to the amount of blessed cubes purchased. Think it’s all about the expectations?

5 Likes

It’s fun.

It sounds like the game isn’t for you and that’s fine. There’s no reason to spread negativity. Just move on and find a game you enjoy.

7 Likes

Fun for 800 players.
Basically my building.
k!
Added later: it’s not a matter of finding another title. I did so, and I’m extremely comfortable with it. Maybe the problem is that every single MMO player even deeply into anime-cartoon design actually found another thing, with the exception of 800 people almost worldwide ;’)

I don’t understand your issue here. If this game is fun for 800 people and you acknowledge that this game isn’t for you, then what exactly is the problem you speak of?

If most of the other anime mmorpg fans ALREADY found something else to get into to (and thus not complaining here in the forums about a game they dont/wont play), why should TOS players do the same?

4 Likes

Here comes another good-bye-TOS-gonna-uninstall post, and still IMC doesn’t give a ■■■■. I’m a returnee player too, and I really understand your sentiments. The benefit of returning TOS? NOTHING. Returning player event is meh and some of the events sucks!
It was so disappointing that 20,000+ were playing TOS before and now it decreased to 800 or less players. I guess IMC are not paying attention to this kind of post lmao

Though his rant was silly, some of his points are kind of valid.

2 Likes

ToS is rly not newbie friendly I agree… It is quite overwhelming… also a mentor system would be quite good because doing your dailies and things you just don’t have time for poor lost newbies…

There should be some benefit doing low level dungeons with newbies too and such things.

But a part of the game is still good. A lot of MMOs nowdays are totally dumb and tbh I don’t want to go in details but for me BDO and BnS are quite lame…

2 Likes

I just came back and I’m loving it. Sounds like this game is just not for you tbh. Try guild wars 2 . That sounds more like ur jam.

1 Like

same for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: im back and love the game, it’s NOT perfect but what game is perfect?

1 Like

It really does sound like you just dont enjoy the game, but anyways;

The game, as you pointed out, has always been grindy, the reasonable aim has always been there, and if anything, i’d say that today it is a lot easier to have decent “late game” gear and stuff than before

Lets emphasize the “feel” part, it is up to you to feel any way at all, because there is no “real urge” now either

Out of all of that, only legendary cards, ichors and arts are “new”, but legendary cards and arts are not needed whatsoever to clear 95% of the game’s content, the rest of it it has always been the same

Idk man, when you yourself say you dont pay attention to the windows that literally have useful information in them, i think thats kinda on you

I actually agree on this, sort of
but for one, a new player wont 1-410 in two days, with that being said, you do level up faster than the time you would spend getting gear of your level, so its better to just skip the gearing and push as far as you can go without struggle, i do think this is a problem, but suggesting to get free legendary gear has nothing to do with it, needless to say, it wouldnt solve the problem

??? you’re legit complaining about people spending money

I guess this is subjective-ish, since pretty much every encounter i’ve had with people in-game is pretty nice and friendly, then again, im not very social in-game
These forums do suck tho lol almost as much as league ones

2 Likes

The game right now is way more nice with new players and returnees than it was before for sure.
Its more a question of getting used to the way to level up now (its more quests than raw grind). About equips its just a question of keep farming once you get level 400+…
If you don’t want to grind for eternity go for Savinose set.

1 Like

Episode 12 was looking scary for new players for a moment. But i think they updated the kedoran 400 equipment to be trans10. Otherwise entering a episode 12 zone while having pathetic weaponry would be quite the sting, forcing you to invest in outdated equipment to even do basic leveling.
Glad they upped the kedoran weapons 400, i hope its strong enough to allow new players to not feel extremely weak in the new content to come, since the powerspike is really sudden with no warning for people who arent aware of the all the newest patches.

I started playing again like 2 weeks ago, yesterday i made a post asking ppl what to do to progress besides making 10 characters to farm saalus and cm or paying a lot of money.
I found out theres no other way to progresss fast to endgame.

I can’t do most of the stuff bcuz my gear is sht, and the stuff i can do is limit to 1/day (cm, saalus). so what i’m doing is, 1 salus, 1 cm5 solo, 3 330 dgs and go play other game.

This will hold for some days but ill get tired and quit.

Also the event based progression system is not good.

I also agree that the ammount of stuff u need to progress is TOO FCKING MUCH MA DUUD

its sad bcuz the class system is unique, combat feels awesome, just progression is completely killed for non-whale new/returning players

an easy way to fix it would be making saluus give A LOT of transcendence stuff, so much that u could easily 10 most of ur gear (like 1 month of saalus). This would make farming gear to progress possible bcuz u can farm, transcen to 7 or 8 and trash it without feeling like u lost a year of progress.

3 Likes

i was loving it till i hit 400 and had no more ways to progress but wait

Unique skiaclipse, irredian farm, build up your Savinose then go legend raids, build velcoffer pieces and dismantle for a chance to get enchant jewel Level 400. Sell Pamoka solutions. If all you aim is varna set soo sorry.
If foi got a Level problem go for Quests…

1 Like

its hard to do raids if ur gear scks. i tried once (when i found a party that would carry me) and i died like 20 times

Do velc and make a semi-decent velc set. That gear is still more than fine to do the other raids including legend varna.

At the current state, even if youre wearing berthas gear, if you’re dying 20+ times on velc runs, its not a gear issue.

1 Like

i died in the non-legend varna xD
velco take like weeks till i get the set, unless i buy it

someone said next week we will get savinose event, hope its true

its quite an odd choice to make all these kind of events just before christmans, when ppl stay at home from school / work.
A lot of ppl are coming back now just to find out they should have returned 1 month or 2 before and now are fcked to death lul.

Really bad timing on the events.

Buuuuuuuuut we should not need events lul, if u need event gear to start playing why not give it to everybody that hits max level? so u keep leveling and than u start end game. needing events is meh

No pay2win bro check the newest package please and say that again.