Tree of Savior Forum

[Swordsman] Special builds

I noticed there’s only a select few cookie-cutter builds being thrown around the forums here.
I’ve made a list of less common builds below, including why they work and what their limitations are.
Note that these builds are primarily damage builds, not tank or support builds.

1. 1H Sword + Shield Highlander build:

Swordsman c1 -> Peltasta c1 -> Highlander c3 -> Doppelsoldner or Centurion.

Why this build works:

• Highlanders are weak in defense unless you want to sacrifice precious skill points for Cross Guard. This build allows you to block with a shield, increasing your survivability drastically at the cost of reducing your damage output. At rank 6 you can choose to go defensive (Centurion) or add a bit more offense (Doppelsoldner).
  • Swash Buckling for extra HP (from attribute) and convenience
  • Highlander skills have no weapon restriction apart from Cross Guard, so you can use a shield.

Limitations:

• Little Pierce damage. The only one that does decent damage is Doppelsoldner’s Punish, but that requires the target to be knocked down.
  • No crit damage boost from 2H Sword Mastery.

2. 1H Spear + Shield Highlander build:

Swordsman c1 -> Highlander c1 -> Hoplite c1 -> Highlander c2 & c3 -> Doppelsoldner or Centurion.

Why this build works:

• Holding a shield increases your survivability but unlike the build above, you cannot guard with it.
  • Decent Pierce damage from Hoplite’s stabbing, pierce & 1H Spear auto attack.
  • Increased Crit & Block from Finestra.
  • Same as above, at rank 6 you can choose to go defensive (Centurion) or add a bit more offense (Doppelsoldner).

Limitations:

• No crit damage boost from 2H Sword Mastery.
  • Less defense/HP than above build.

Alternate build:

Swordsman c1 -> Highlander c1 -> Peltasta c1 -> Hoplite c1 -> Highlander c2 & c3.

• Lose the chance to go Doppelsoldner or Centurion but gain defense / HP / aggro control from Peltasta.

3. 2H Spear Highlander build:

Swordsman c1 -> Highlander c1 & c2 -> Cataphract c1 -> Highlander c3 -> Doppelsoldner

Why this build works:

• Allows mounting + Trot for a Highlander -> increased movement speed.
  • Gives Pierce damage from Cataphract’s skills and 2H spear auto-attack.
  • Can still use some Highlander skills with 2H Spear while mounted.
  • Combine Deeds of Valor + 2H Spear auto attack for good Pierce damage.

Limitations:

4. 1H Sword + Shield Barbarian build:

Swordsman c1 -> Peltasta c1 -> Barbarian c3 -> Doppelsoldner or Centurion.

Why this build works:

• Barbarians are weak in defense. This build allows you to block with a shield, increasing your survivability drastically at the cost of reducing your damage output. At rank 6 you can choose to go defensive (Centurion) or add a bit more offense (Doppelsoldner).
  • Swash Buckling for extra HP (from attribute) and convenience
  • Barbarian skills have no weapon restriction so you can use a shield.

Limitations:

• Little Pierce damage with Barbarian skills except Embowel, but that requires you to sacrifice precious Barbarian skill points which can be better spent elsewhere. Alternatively you can get Doppelsoldner’s Punish, but that requires the target to be knocked down.

5. 1H Spear + Shield Barbarian build:

Swordsman c2 -> Hoplite c1 -> Barbarian c3

Why this build works:

• Holding a shield increases your survivability but unlike the build above, you cannot block with it.
  • Increased Crit & Block from Finestra.
  • 20% Chance of stun with Restrain level 5 from Swordsman c2.
  • Increased damage from GungHo

Limitations:

• Less defense/HP than above build, especially if both GungHo and Restrain are used.

Alternate build:

Swordsman c1 -> Peltasta c1 -> Hoplite c1 -> Barbarian c3

• Lose GungHo and Restrain but gain defense / HP / aggro control from Peltasta.

6. 2H Spear Barbarian build:

Swordsman c2 -> Barbarian c1 -> Cataphract c1 -> Barbarian c2 & c3

Why this build works:

• Allows mounting + Trot for a Barbarian -> increased movement speed.
  • Gives Pierce damage from Cataphract’s skills and 2H spear auto-attack.
  • Can still use most important Barbarian skills with 2H Spear while mounted.

Limitations:

7. 2H Spear Hoplite build:

Swordsman c2 -> Hoplite c1 -> Cataphract c1 -> Hoplite c2 & c3

Why this build works:

• Allows mounting + Trot for a Hoplite -> increased movement speed.
  • Can use all Hoplite skills with 2H spear except Synchro Thrusting.
  • Increased Hoplite skill damage from 2H spear, especially when using Stabbing with a 2H spear. Combine this with Finestra level 15 for very good damage.

Limitations:

8. 1H Spear + Shield Rodelero build:

Swordsman c1 -> Peltasta c1 -> Hoplite c1 -> Rodelero c3

Why this build works:

• Increased block from Peltasta and Hoplite’s Finestra
  • Access to decent skill damage for all 3 types: Slash + Strike damage from Rodelero and Pierce damage from Hoplite.

Extra: High stun builds:

Swordsman c3 -> Highlander c3
Swordsman c3 -> Hoplite c3
Swordsman c3 -> Barbarian c3
Swordsman c3 -> Rodelero c3
Swordsman c3 -> Cataphract c3

Why these builds work:

• These builds focus on Restrain level 10 from Swordsman c3 giving 40% chance to stun.
  • Increased damage from GungHo level 15.

Limitations:

• Very weak defense, especially for 2H weapon classes and also when using max level Restrain and GungHo.
  • Limited damage type (mainly Slash/Strike or Stab/Strike)
3 Likes

Nice builds, but I was wondering does anyone know how to make a dual wield build?
I know you you can dual wield but Im just not 100% how.

Dual Wield builds are pretty simple since Rank 5 and 6 needs to be Corsair.
Your weapons are either 1H sword + dagger or 1H spear + dagger.
Builds are as follows:

• Swordsman c1 -> Highlander c3 -> Corsair c2
  • Swordsman c2 -> Barbarian c2 -> Corsair c2
  • Swordsman c2 -> Hoplite c2 -> Corsair c2 - (1H spear + dagger build)
  • Swordsman c3 -> Barbarian (Sword) or Hoplite (Spear) c1 -> Corsair c2- (Stunning build)

Swordsman 2 + Hoplite 2+ Corsair 2+ is good build…Dust devil can hit like 3 times with one shot…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Planning to do a swordm>pelt>pelt>rodel>rodel>rodel…
Probably a bruiser path (1:2:0:1:1), with short animation shield skills.

Thank you for your contribution! This is great!

To be honest, Peltasta c2 is not really worth it. In fact, the whole Peltasta class really needs a rework.

Peltasta c2 gives:

• High Guard, but using it decreases your attack by 50% - something you do not want in a full Rodelero build.
  • minor improvements to Guardian at the cost of decreased physical attack. The extra amount of defense is so little and combined with the decrease in attack, it’s not really worth it.
  • increased number of enemies held by Swash Buckling from 10 to 20, but 10 is usually enough.

If you don’t want to go Hoplite and use a 1H spear as a Rodelero, at least go with Swordsman c2 for the extra GungHo damage and the 20% stun from Restrain. Just a suggestion, that’s all.

Im not planning to get those buff… they are really bad atm. Probably only high guard just for the buff (idk if its rim trust or umbo blow… can’t remember), like 1 single point on it.
For defense, im satisfied with pelt atributes and i can press the magic C button for defense. C2 is for 20 monsters taunt and shield shoving if im not mistaken again.
I really dont want sword skills, just those fancy shield blows and high kick from c3 rodel.
Perhaps going back to sword at rank 7 to take restrain. My main goal is Murmilo… idk what to do whe till they give us more info.

Its kinda weird plan a build in a beta… but ill give it a try :pkissing:

Shield Shoving is from Rodelero c2, not Peltasta c2.

Also I don’t understand why you would put 1 single point on High Guard. High guard reduced your damage by 50% regardless of whether it is level 1 or level 15. If you’re using it for Umbo and Rim blow, then might as well go full c3 Peltasta.

The High Guard Attributes that I believe you’re talking about that you can get to level 5 which is 250+20*5% more damage to Umbo Blow. There is another attribute with the same increase to Rim Blow however. It’s the same % increase but I’m not sure you can get both (never played Peltasta). The High Guard skill must also be at level 6 in order to get these attributes.

Its buff gives like 220% damage on the skill - a nice amount of damage i think, so i’ll give it a try.
And, yeah… its sadly -50% damage… but yay its a beta xD. I hope the skill buff ill balance the damage reduction, if not meh… will figure out something else :blush: .
Peltasta c2 has another shill attack, i really dont remember its name ( or never saw it :smile:).

They need to do something about those flat numbers buffs… they seen very very odd.

@Garrnett Thanks, dindt know that. So … no high guard :smiley:

Yeah basically if you wanted to use High Guard, you’d be limited to Umbo Blow and Rim Blow as your damage skills until High Guard runs out.

They’ll do a decent amount of damage considering the Attribute raises the damage of those two skills buy a ton but if they’re on CD, you’ll just be doing less damage for what I remember to be just block when you can easily just press “C”

i will see how it goes.
But i really need a skill simulator and atributes database right now :smirk:

Thanks guys.
My main ideia is try to somehow connect all thoose shield skills and make sort of combo. Probably it wont work :smiley: but lets see

It’ll only work with a few skills that yield stuns. In games like these, STUNS are the most important part of a COMBO. Unfortunately, if you’re too shield heavy, you won’t have enough damage output for the combo to really matter anyways which is why it’ll make sense to balance yourself out. Going Peltasta C1 for block then Rodelero C2 and then Barbarian C2 would be an outstanding mix as you’ll be able to make a combo from multiple stun skills…(you’ll have 3 at that point). On top of that, you’ll have more slash skills from Barbarian that’ll add up to MUCH higher damage making your combo actually do something.

Unfortunately that build doesn’t have much Pierce damage.
Also C3 skills is where the damage is. In the majority of cases I always recommend going C3 if focusing on a particular class, because C3 skills really blow C2 out of the water.

Well if you have a defense-break debuff, how much does Pierce damage come into play?

Damage type vs armor type - more important than the skill simulator:

If you hit with the right damage type, you enjoy 150% damage.
If you hit with neutral damage type, you do normal (100%) damage.
If you hit with the wrong damage type, you do only 50% damage.

And Pierce is more valuable at higher levels than Smash and Slash?

From what Fate said, you encounter more enemies with Leather armor in higher levels, hence Pierce damage comes into play more.