Tree of Savior Forum

Damage type vs armor type - more important than the skill simulator

This is often a point that is overlooked when people focus too much on the skill simulator alone when making builds.
Refer to the following picture:

http://truth.bahamut.com.tw/s01/201509/6e1f5871655d59e0a622fdfdd88b39b6.JPG

From the top row to the bottom row:

1. Slash
  2. Stab
  3. Strike
  4. Magic

From the left column to the right column:

1. Cloth armor
  2. Leather armor
  3. Plate armor
  4. Ghost armor

So what this table is saying is this (from top row to bottom row):

1. Slash damage does 50% more damage to enemies with cloth armor, 50% less damage to enemies with plate armor and 50% less damage to enemies with ghost armor.
  2. Stab damage does 50% more damage to enemies with leather armor, 50% less damage to enemies with cloth armor and 50% less damage to enemies with ghost armor.
  3. Strike damage does 50% more damage to enemies with plate armor, 50% less damage to enemies with leather armor and 50% less damage to enemies with ghost armor.
  4. Magic damage does 50% more damage to enemies with ghost armor.

Conclusion:

It does not matter whether your awesome skill (eg. Seism) that does slash damage does 1746 damage on the skill calculator, if you are hitting an enemy with plate armor you will do HALF DAMAGE. Hence it is more important to a variety of different skills that do different types of damage (even if it is just auto attack), in case when you face the wrong armor type, you can still use different skills to do different types of damage so you’re not gimped when fighting these types of monsters or players.

This only really applied to Swordsman I believe since basically all of the Archer attacks are pierce or strike, Wiz only really do magic attacks (but are limited to enemy element types) and Clerics … they’re in a weird position IMO because they deal with a lot of both magic and normal attacks but are limited in both… So they don’t really have much choice depending on what classes they choose.

You should use charts that are in English, to make things simpler.

2 Likes

Some of the new skills on the skill simulator aren’t translated yet, so providing a table with Korean allows people to match the characters on the simulator to this table and figuring out what type of damage that new skill does

@Garrnett Didn’t they change Archer damage type to ‘neutral’, but gave their skills bonuses against different armor types?

Better yet, here’s the complete elemental and damage type chart.

As for archer, just like what @Nickyan said, Archer does not do pierce damage anymore (At least to Bows and Crossbows, don’t know if it applies to guns, yet). Their AA damage is now comes with the enemy size modifier, which then even further modified by their weapon enhancement. All other bonuses to armor types for Archer comes from their skills.

@Nickyan Oh my bad. You’re right I totally forgot about the reddit post with the changes. Archers do also now have to choose between skills but aren’t really limited towards armor types because they don’t get a negative side effect. This makes me think that they still aren’t at a disadvantage from just choosing their favorite skills because now they don’t actually need to worry about attack types unless they want to min/max DPS with the bonus damage against armor/size.

So while they can choose to do more damage, I stand by my point that they don’t really need to pick and choose their attacks as much as Swordsman do… unless they still are affected and I read the post wrong somehow :stuck_out_tongue: If they are then Archers really are the most complex class in the game.

@Ltb_Regen wasn’t the elemental resistance chart changed in an old patch? I heard that they absorb the element and heal from the magic now (not sure if it’s only magic or it accounts for physical with attributes as well)

@Garrnett: From my understanding, it’s more like there will be more enemies that, instead of getting reduced damage from being attacked by the same element as theirs, they will absorb that damage that has the same element as them, rendering the attack that has the same element as them useless, or even causing it to heal them instead.

I’m not certain if that’s the point or not, but enemies that absorbs certain elements should be considered middle to end-game in MMOs. There are already some bosses that absorbs the fire damage from the Owl Sculptures from Dievdirbys, rendering them entirely unusable for those bosses.

Ah mkay so it’s only for some enemies not all of them (from my understanding at least) … My Pyro is going to cry against a boss that absorbs fire lol. My main element IS going to be fire after all :stuck_out_tongue:

Which is why it is important to have some variety in your build and not just base all your attack skills on 1 or 2 elements.

It’s the same with Swordsmen as well, If you only go Slash-based classes (eg. Highlander or Barbarian) then you have no decent Stab attacks and your attacks won’t be very effective against leather armor. Similarly, if you only go Stab-based classes (Hoplite -> Cataphract) then you have no decent Slash based attacks and will be weak against cloth armor.

My only problem with this is that I believe that Wiz only has 3 Main Elements tied down to the class tree, I’m not including the attributes that only have one skill related to them (Earthquake which is literally the only Earth attributed attack and Electrocute which is one of 2 skills with Lightning attribute attack) which are Fire, Ice, and Dark. Of course there are many which have no attribute and would be great to have however that leaves little variety if you go for all of those skills.

Also it feels kinda weird that the swordsman equivalent of getting different skills with different damage type is taking an entirely different class lol.

I wonder if we get “spirit armor” or if that armor type is enemy exclusive.

Pretty sure that’s enemy exclusive.
It’s called “ghost armor” in other sources I think. Spirit armor is just something I translated literally from the Chinese translation.

Are you sure that ghost armor is enemy/monster exclusive?

Guess not lol.
However, I don’t think I’d wear that because I’d get my ass kicked by mages and casters with that armor on.
I’ll update everything to ghost armor now btw, just to avoid confusion

First of all, cool that it exists !

Second, it’s a tool like everything else - use it in the right situation, i say.

Cutting the damage by quite a substantial amount(half) by merely sporting a different armor type sounds harsh. I feel like this would get the nerf hammer

Well, the thing is, players have 4 slots to equip their armors.

You can equip a plate chest armor, a cloth pants, leather pairs of gloves and boots. However, if you do this you won’t get the bonuses that comes from the armor mastery attributes. You need to equip 3 armor of the same armor type to get the bonuses from the armor mastery attributes, which gives you 1 spare slot for other type of armors.

Example: A Swordsman equipped with a plate armor, a plate pants, a pair of plate gloves, and a pair of leather boots - This way you still able to equip 2 types of armor at a time while still able to get the bonuses from the armor mastery attribute. This is also the way most players use to equip that one piece of Unique Grade Armor (Orange colored armor)* and get the unique bonuses that come from it while still retaining the bonuses from the armor mastery attribute.

*) Or any other types armor that have the bonuses they needed, actually, as long as they deemed it worthy for their build.